Air Suspension
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 49

    Thread: Air Suspension

    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      179

      Air Suspension

      Iím looking to buy a 2020 XC60 T8 for my wife.

      Is it worth purchasing the air suspension?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Posts
      63

      Air Suspension

      Air suspension is absolutely worth it. My wife rates it one of her favorite features, especially after we had a loaner vehicle for a couple days that did not have it.

      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    4. #3
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,117
      Worthy of every penny of it. Love it.

      And B&W if you care about music. Perfect for the quiet cabin of T8.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Location
      Western NY
      Posts
      52
      I have it and like it.
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      179
      Thank you both! I have a 2018 S90 T8 with B&W and will definitely purchase it for my wife.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      289
      my 2 cents..I have a 2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription with no Air suspension and no B&W stereo.....I was given a 2019 T8 that had Air suspension and B&W stereo for a week. I told the sales manager,your just trying to make me regret not going with those 2 options,lol (They were fixing a small scratch) Air suspension was a tad bit nicer, but not something I have missed. And the stereo,sure it was a tad bit better, but the stereo in the Inscription is not the base model stereo. So for me, I am very happy I do not have air suspension and the B&W radio....$$ in my pocket. Just something you have to test drive. Another consideration in why I didnt want the air suspension...$$$$ to fix and I plan to keep this car for quite some time, so would prob be a negative when I went to sell it. Thats my 2 cents,lol
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      173
      I didn't get it, mostly because I didn't want the B & W stereo. I had trouble finding one with air suspension and NO B & W (which is great, but not something I need or would want).

      I personally think the XC60 has a very stiff suspension. When I test drove the air suspension, it seemed way smoother.

      I will likely lease another XC60 (I LOVE mine) when this lease is up. I expect I'll special order just to get the air suspension.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      28
      I have it and had a loaner once without it and it was quite noticeable to me. if you do a comparison test drive make sure it's not only on good smooth roads.
      Love the ability to raise and lower vehicle also.
      2019 XC60 T8 Inscription, Denim Blue, Maroon Brown Nappa, 20" wheels, 4C Air Suspension, Premium and Advanced.
      2012 Mercedes SLK350

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Posts
      10
      Quote Originally Posted by mrhobie View Post
      Iím looking to buy a 2020 XC60 T8 for my wife.

      Is it worth purchasing the air suspension?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yes, and make sure you get the extended warranty

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Fremont, CA
      Posts
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by peterwT8 View Post
      Love the ability to raise and lower vehicle also.
      Hello there!

      To be clear, are you referring to the buttons in the trunk that allow you to raise and lower the car for loading/unloading (and allegedly for helping with connecting the tow hitch)? As far as I'm aware, the only other way you can control the height of the car is if you set it in off-road mode (in which case suspension goes all up).

      Unless I'm mistaken?

      Geoff

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      95
      I just wish the suspension would drop when parked on my drive. It only does the curtesy drop on level ground

      See how high it is still

      Going to have to get steps fitted so the wife can get out.


    14. #12
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      649
      Quote Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
      Hello there!

      To be clear, are you referring to the buttons in the trunk that allow you to raise and lower the car for loading/unloading (and allegedly for helping with connecting the tow hitch)? As far as I'm aware, the only other way you can control the height of the car is if you set it in off-road mode (in which case suspension goes all up).

      Unless I'm mistaken?

      Geoff
      With air suspension the height of the car changes with the drive mode selector and the vehicles speed. Drive mode is the most obvious, and youíll see an indicator that the car is moving up/down.

      Power/Sport/Dynamic is the lowest/stiffest driving setting.
      Pure is slightly higher and softer.
      Hybrid/Comfort is slightly higher/softer than Pure for everyday driving.
      Constant AWD (T8 only) seems to be the same height as Hybrid but with both ICE & ERAD both engages.
      Off-Road raises the vehicle height significantly but has a 40mph speed limit.

      I love having air suspension, it really lets me dial in the ride nicely as driving conditions change from one road to the next. Iíve not yet used the feature that lets you lower the car for loading gear, but I suspect that will come in handy for loading things onto the crossbars/roofbox.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      95
      Yes I can change the ride height no issue. What isnít happening is the curtesy drop, but only when the car is in my drive at 20į

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      76
      Quote Originally Posted by mrhobie View Post
      Iím looking to buy a 2020 XC60 T8 for my wife.

      Is it worth purchasing the air suspension?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity to drive about every permutation of the features I cared about prior to buying.

      I found the air suspension to make a significant difference on the roads I took them over, and I'm very pleased I got it. I'd strongly recommend at least trying it out before you buy.

      We passed on the B&W only because I wasn't hearing that much difference in the music I was listening to from the sources I was testing. Now that "HD streaming" is becoming a reality from multiple sources that may be a different story.

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      95
      Quote Originally Posted by ssskelton View Post

      I found the air suspension to make a significant difference on the roads I took them over, and I'm very pleased I got it. I'd strongly recommend at least trying it out before you buy.
      I love the suspension for everything else and I would definitely recommend it to despite the sales guy saying it wasnít worth it. It was one of the main reasons for swapping from an Inscription to an Inscription Pro (plus the other toys)

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      919
      Yes.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

    19. #17
      Junior Member genesmasher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      644
      Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      I didn't get it, mostly because I didn't want the B & W stereo. I had trouble finding one with air suspension and NO B & W (which is great, but not something I need or would want).

      I personally think the XC60 has a very stiff suspension. When I test drove the air suspension, it seemed way smoother.

      I will likely lease another XC60 (I LOVE mine) when this lease is up. I expect I'll special order just to get the air suspension.
      I only test driven non-air XC60 briefly, but it was OK. If you want to experience a really stiff suspension, take Audi Q5 for a test drive - you will feel each tiny bump on the road. Air suspension in XC60 is excellent and is well worth the cost.
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      past:
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Fremont, CA
      Posts
      23
      One thing to also keep in mind (sorry if it's too obvious!): I would think air suspension with the 19" rims would offer a softer ride than when it's paired with 22", so that's yet another data point to look at when testing out cars. Our XC60 actually being my wife's car, I knew she'd prefer the plushest ride, so I went with air suspension and 19" rims.

      Geoff

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      179

      Air Suspension

      Quote Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
      One thing to also keep in mind (sorry if it's too obvious!): I would think air suspension with the 19" rims would offer a softer ride than when it's paired with 22", so that's yet another data point to look at when testing out cars. Our XC60 actually being my wife's car, I knew she'd prefer the plushest ride, so I went with air suspension and 19" rims.

      Geoff
      You are correct that the 19 inch tires will offer a softer ride.

      All, glad to hear everyoneís opinions. Plan to do some test driving this weekend with my wife. She also wants to test drive a Lexus. I hope she picks the XC60 so we can have 2 Volvos in the garage.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    22. #20
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      173
      I have to say that I hate the RX and the NX both. Can't see out of them at all (horrendous visibility), no cargo capacity, dull handling, hideous styling, lousy infotainment.

      Volvo isn't everybody's cup of tea and there are certainly vehicles in the class that night be better buys. Lexus is just a badge though.

      Heck, I think the Toyota Highlander is a better overall vehicle then it's Lexus sibling.

    23. #21
      Junior Member sergjut14's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Location
      Prince William County, Virginia
      Posts
      459
      Quote Originally Posted by mrhobie View Post
      Iím looking to buy a 2020 XC60 T8 for my wife.

      Is it worth purchasing the air suspension?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I had it on both the 2016 XC90 and 2018 XC60 R-Designs and my wife and I loved it and without a doubt recommend it! Although, I no longer miss it, since picking up the new 2020 XC60 T8 P* and its ÷hlins!
      2020 Crystal White XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered with 21" All Season Tires, Rear Bumper Cover and Mudflaps

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      5

      Depends on your use case

      If the planned use case is to just cruise at low speed, and perhaps do a little bit of rutted dirt roads, then perhaps it's worth it.
      If the roads in your area are good, the R-design suspension offers just as supple of a ride & better body control at speed.

      As for B&O, I went for the Harman-Kardon system + Acoustic Laminated Glass for 1/3 the price. At speed, it is *better* than the B&O and normal glass. (of course, B&O and acoustic glass is the best)

      That said, B&O can only be perceived better than HK at stand still. Once you move, the wind & road noise overshadow any nuances in audio performance anyway, so might as well get a more peaceful interior experience and not waste your money for the 5% of the time you're at standstill....
      Last edited by biturboism; 10-30-2019 at 12:15 PM.

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      8
      air suspension is great. i had one for my Audi A8L but ended up selling that car after twin turbo blew out and air suspension started leaking at the tune of ($16,000 for turbo replacement + $11,000 for air suspension replacement) just sell the air suspension car for before the warranty ends.

    26. #24
      I have a 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription and have always wondered about what the air suspension is like. I like the road feel of what I have now. Our Lexus GS350 F-Sport is too cushy and not really my type of car in terms of road feel. My wife drives that though and misses her 2006 TSX in terms of road feel. I love good audio quality and really appreciate good sound systems. I didn't even embrace MP3s when they became so popular because the sound was horrible and I waited until AAC was released to put things in perspective. That being said, the sound system in the Inscription is great. The B&W is nice, BUT being that one of the significant reasons I got a Volvo was due to aesthetics and Scandinavian design inside and out, that center speaker on the dash is a no go for me. I can't stand that design choice. If I could afford it, I would max out a T6 or T8 in options and not get the B&W because of that one bloody speaker on the dash...only because the Inscription sound system is still very good. Admittedly if it was crap, then I may reconsider the B&W system.

      To each their own. Some may think this is blasphemous to not get B&W because of the design choice of putting that speaker up there, but hey...you have to know where your values and compromises are situated.
      Last edited by tangierc; 10-30-2019 at 12:42 PM.

    27. #25
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      649
      Quote Originally Posted by tangierc View Post
      I have a 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription and have always wondered about what the air suspension is like. I like the road feel of what I have now. Our Lexus GS350 F-Sport is too cushy and not really my type of car in terms of road feel. My wife drives that though and misses her 2006 TSX in terms of road feel. I love good audio quality and really appreciate good sound systems. I didn't even embrace MP3s when they became so popular because the sound was horrible and I waited until AAC was released to put things in perspective. That being said, the sound system in the Inscription is great. The B&W is nice, BUT being that one of the significant reasons I got a Volvo was due to aesthetics and Scandinavian design inside and out, that center speaker on the dash of the B&W is a no go for me. I can't stand that design choice. If I could afford it, I would max out a T6 or T8 in options and not get the B&W because of that one bloody speaker on the dash...only because the Inscription sound system is still very good. Admittedly if it was crap, then I may reconsider the B&W system.

      To each their own. Some may think this is blasphemous to not get B&W because of the design choice of putting that speaker up there, but hey...you have to know where your values and compromises are situated.
      Coming from a 1st gen 2010 XC60, I would be really bored without the B&W center speaker. I'm just very used to something being there.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    28. #26
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      95
      Quote Originally Posted by tangierc View Post
      I have a 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription and have always wondered about what the air suspension is like. I like the road feel of what I have now. Our Lexus GS350 F-Sport is too cushy and not really my type of car in terms of road feel. My wife drives that though and misses her 2006 TSX in terms of road feel. I love good audio quality and really appreciate good sound systems. I didn't even embrace MP3s when they became so popular because the sound was horrible and I waited until AAC was released to put things in perspective. That being said, the sound system in the Inscription is great. The B&W is nice, BUT being that one of the significant reasons I got a Volvo was due to aesthetics and Scandinavian design inside and out, that center speaker on the dash is a no go for me. I can't stand that design choice. If I could afford it, I would max out a T6 or T8 in options and not get the B&W because of that one bloody speaker on the dash...only because the Inscription sound system is still very good. Admittedly if it was crap, then I may reconsider the B&W system.

      To each their own. Some may think this is blasphemous to not get B&W because of the design choice of putting that speaker up there, but hey...you have to know where your values and compromises are situated.
      I listen mostly to Radio 4 extra (vintage comedy and plays) so I opted to stick with the standard offering. I did add Apple CarPlay though for my occasional music listening. I had Genesis playing yesterday and was delighted with the sound quality. Sounded just as good (wife thinks better) than the Harmon set in the car we test drove.

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      173
      Quote Originally Posted by D3ggy View Post
      I listen mostly to Radio 4 extra (vintage comedy and plays) so I opted to stick with the standard offering. I did add Apple CarPlay though for my occasional music listening. I had Genesis playing yesterday and was delighted with the sound quality. Sounded just as good (wife thinks better) than the Harmon set in the car we test drove.
      Why would you have to "add Apple Carplay?" Carplay and Android Auto are standard with SENSUS, no?

      I'm guessing the packages are different wherever you are because we don't have an "Inscription pro" in the states.

      My take on the B & W system is that I'm sure it sounds wonderful and I think the speaker in the middle of the dash is an aesthetic non-issue. Looks neither better or worse than the stock radios. However, the HK system in the Inscription is pretty nice and I can't justify the cost for an upgrade. I paid for the high end stereo on my last vehicle and it didn't add much to my experience.

    30. #28
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      95
      Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      Why would you have to "add Apple Carplay?" Carplay and Android Auto are standard with SENSUS, no?

      I'm guessing the packages are different wherever you are because we don't have an "Inscription pro" in the states.

      My take on the B & W system is that I'm sure it sounds wonderful and I think the speaker in the middle of the dash is an aesthetic non-issue. Looks neither better or worse than the stock radios. However, the HK system in the Inscription is pretty nice and I can't justify the cost for an upgrade. I paid for the high end stereo on my last vehicle and it didn't add much to my experience.
      CarPlay is extra on the basic stereo bizarrely even on an inscription pro in the UK

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      8
      We have a maxed out T6 Inscription w/B&W and no air suspension. Couldn't tell much difference on the test drive. Came out of a Mercedes GLC43AMG w/air suspension that was a total waste of money.
      Very happy with the smooth, quiet ride. I think the biggest problem today with ride quality complaints is the big wheels with tiny side wall tires. And don't even get me started on "run flats". Ride like rocks.

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      173
      Quote Originally Posted by johnz1954 View Post
      We have a maxed out T6 Inscription w/B&W and no air suspension. Couldn't tell much difference on the test drive. Came out of a Mercedes GLC43AMG w/air suspension that was a total waste of money.
      Very happy with the smooth, quiet ride. I think the biggest problem today with ride quality complaints is the big wheels with tiny side wall tires. And don't even get me started on "run flats". Ride like rocks.
      YOu really think the XC60 has a "smooth quiet ride"? I have the 20" tires, which is part of the problem, but I think the XC60 ride is stiff bordering on harsh. I'm not somebody who cares a lot about ride quality, so the bumpy ride has not influenced by enjoyment of the car (still love it). However, none of the current Volvos has particularly good ride comfort.

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Location
      Central Mass.
      Posts
      872
      Regarding the Volvo air suspension, how is it on cornering? Does it stiffen up the outside corners to reduce/control body lean?
      2015 XC60 DRIVE-E T6, Platinum, Heated F. Seats, Crystal White Met, Xenon, Tech, BLIS
      Custom: Valentine mount/City Safety IR filter, Dog Seat, Superchager ind., REAL dipstick
      2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (Now in Ohio)
      2002 Acura RSX Type-S 6 speed

    34. #32
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      95
      Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      YOu really think the XC60 has a "smooth quiet ride"? I have the 20" tires, which is part of the problem, but I think the XC60 ride is stiff bordering on harsh. I'm not somebody who cares a lot about ride quality, so the bumpy ride has not influenced by enjoyment of the car (still love it). However, none of the current Volvos has particularly good ride comfort.
      I too have the 20Ē wheels as did my Discovery Sport. The XC60 is a far smoother ride in comparison to the Disco.

    35. #33
      Member rumyn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      1,199
      Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      YOu really think the XC60 has a "smooth quiet ride"? I have the 20" tires, which is part of the problem, but I think the XC60 ride is stiff bordering on harsh. I'm not somebody who cares a lot about ride quality, so the bumpy ride has not influenced by enjoyment of the car (still love it). However, none of the current Volvos has particularly good ride comfort.
      I drive in NJ, which has the worst roads in the country. 20" are perfectly fine. Hell, even my S60 with 40 profile tires is what I would call smooth. XC60 is just buttery compared to my S60.
      I guess the definition of "smooth" varies individual to individual.
      I'd rate Volvo ride comfort very high, personally.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

    36. #34
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      173
      The XC60 ride is filled with sharp bumps and it's quite busy.

      Certainly one of the worst rides in any vehicle I've owned. It may be smoother than Land Rover or some other Volvos but it's still pretty harsh.

      Los Angeles does have crappy roads (which influenced my opinion) but the XC60 ride comfort is poor, and in fact, Volvo ride comfort in general is not competitive with BMW, M-B, and Audi.

      If ride comfort is a major issue, either look elsewhere or seriously consider the air suspension, imo.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    37. #35
      Member rumyn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      1,199
      Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      I have the 2O" too. I think the ride is stiff and busy. The XC60 ride is filled with sharp bumps and it's quite busy.

      Certainly one of the worst rides in any vehicle I've owned.

      Los Angeles does have crappy roads (which influenced my opinion) but the XC60 ride comfort is poor, and in fact, Volvo ride comfort in general is not competitive with BMW, M-B, and Audi.

      If ride comfort is a major issue, either look elsewhere or seriously consider the air suspension, imo.
      Again, your opinion.
      I drove Q5 on Florida roads (night and day vs. NJ roads) and I felt that it was not very comfortable, for example.
      For me, XC60 is too plush. XC90 feels numb to the road conditions, for example, even with 20" wheels.
      Opinions are like...&^(#$holes, you know.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 7
      Last Post: 08-25-2017, 11:23 PM
    2. Replies: 9
      Last Post: 03-08-2017, 11:47 AM
    3. Replies: 46
      Last Post: 08-23-2015, 12:58 AM
    4. Replies: 12
      Last Post: 06-12-2013, 08:28 AM
    5. Air Conditioning blows cold air then warm air?
      By c70c70c70 in forum C70 (1998-2004)
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM