Air Suspension - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Air Suspension

Yeah, it's my opinion. Where did I say otherwise? You might notice that the second sentence in my post starts with I THINK and the third sentence of my post includes the phrase MY OPINION. Did I claim to be presenting objective fact? No trying to provoke, but those are pretty silly pointless comments.

That said, it's an opinion shared by Edmunds, Consumer Reports, Motor Trend, Car and Driver. Almost every review of the Volvo dings it on the ride quality.

Again, no offense, because I know you are a nice guy and informed and it is your opinion - but you seriously want to argue that the XC60's ride is PLUSH? Are we even driving the same vehicle?

I had an XC90 last week as a loaner - ride quality was even worse. The XC60 is a bit harsh but quite livable and I can't say that the ride quality detracts from the ownership experience too much. The XC90, on the other hand, rides worse than the RAV4 I had as a rental a few weeks back. It had a lot of upsides too (like the Volvo gorgeous interior) but the ride was definitely not my cup of tea.
      Last edited by Walkabout; 11-01-2019 at 02:27 PM.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      Yeah, it's my opinion. Where did I say otherwise?
      You didn't. I was just pointing out that two people driving the same car can have diametrically opposed views is all.

That said, it's an opinion shared by Edmunds, Consumer Reports, Motor Trend, Car and Driver. Almost every review of the Volvo dings it on the ride quality.
      I haven't read many of those, just some. But what I got out of their reviews (mostly) was that XC60 doesn't handle well, not that the ride is harsh. Again - my subjective understanding.

Again, no offense, because I know you are a nice guy and informed and it is your opinion - but you seriously want to argue that the XC60's ride is PLUSH? Are we even driving the same vehicle?
      That's how I feel. Can't help it. I also drove all sorts of other 2018-2020 XC60s, XC90s, 2019-2020 S60s, and 2019-2020 XC40.
      XC40 was the only one (20" wheels) where I felt the ride was harsh.

I had an XC90 last week as a loaner - ride quality was even worse. The XC60 is a bit harsh but quite livable and I can't say that the ride quality detracts from the ownership experience too much. The XC90, on the other hand, rides worse than the RAV4 I had as a rental a few weeks back. It had a lot of upsides too (like the Volvo gorgeous interior) but the ride was definitely not my cup of tea.
      I've had an XC90 loaner for about 4 weeks once. 20" wheels. I felt that it handled the road quality a lot better than my XC60.

===

TL;DR I think our differences might be attributed by what we are used to. I haven't driven the latest BMWs or MBs, so I can't judge, for example.
      So again, to me, Volvo rides very well.
      That's why people should take extended test drives to judge for themselves.
      Last edited by rumyn; 11-01-2019 at 02:46 PM.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJag View Post
      Regarding the Volvo air suspension, how is it on cornering? Does it stiffen up the outside corners to reduce/control body lean?
      I don't know how it does it mechanically, but I definitely noticed less lean vs the models I drove without air suspension.
      Last edited by .LMS.; 11-01-2019 at 11:03 PM.
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Fair enough.

You're obviously s car guy and you know your vehicle. I respect your opinion!
      Last edited by Walkabout; 11-02-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
      Yes, and make sure you get the extended warranty
      Extended warranty is a waste of money, as are all add-on warranties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 Inscription AWD (Crystal White)
      2018 XC60 Inscription AWD (Bright Silver)
      2019 XC40 R-Design AWD (Bright Silver)

Quote Originally Posted by jaynlisa View Post

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by jaynlisa View Post

Totally agree.

I push my XC60 fairly hard when cornering and the body lean is far less than my last XC60. Air suspension + 21” wheels has really nice handling and maneuvering.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Wow this thread has really exploded. Thanks to all who responded!!

This weekend my wife and I test drove a Honda CRV Touring, Volvo XC60 T8 and. Lexus RX-450h. My wife picked Volvo first.

The XC60 did not have air suspension and I was still pretty impressed. The dealer did not have a unit to test drive with air suspension. Hope to test drive one soon.

Below is my scoring of the 3 vehicles. 1 to 5 ranking with 1 being low and 5 being the highest.

Volvo:
      Technology 5
      Handling 4
      Quietness 4
      Seating Comfort 5
      Acceleration 5
      Styling 5

Lexus:
      Technology 4
      Handling 4
      Quietness 4
      Seating Comfort 3
      Acceleration 3
      Styling 3

Honda:
      Technology 3
      Handling 3
      Quietness 3
      Seating Comfort 4
      Acceleration 4
      Styling 3

The headrest in the Lexus was very uncomfortable and seemed to protrude forward. My wife is short and it was very uncomfortable.

Lexus has improved their tech in the 2020’s, but still seems antiquated. The Lexus rep was so excited to show us the panorama view of the car. Lexus has this crazy small spinning action. I did not have the heart to tell him I was NOT impressed.

As we all know Volvo will be the most expensive and Honda the least. The Volvo sales rep seemed to also be the most knowledgeable with Honda being the least.

Overall, my wife enjoyed driving the Volvo. I see an XC60 in our future that will be joining my S90 T8 in the garage.

Substitute Audi Q5 for the Honda and we came to the same conclusion. Volvo #1, Lexus#2, Audi a distant #3. Volvo won us over on looks, ride comfort and interior style. Note: Get a T6, lot better drive than a T5.

read this thread from maintenance perspective especially if you buy it and not lease

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ension-Failure
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Air Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      read this thread from maintenance perspective especially if you buy it and not lease

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ension-Failure
      That’s a great post. Thanks for sharing. It does make you highly consider NOT purchasing air suspension. The T8 we drove rode very well without air suspension.
      Last edited by mrhobie; 11-18-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhobie View Post
      That’s a great post. Thanks for sharing. It does make you highly consider NOT purchasing air suspension. The T8 we drove road very well without air suspension.
      My T8 does not have it and I have no complaints....I had a T8 loaner for a week that had it..and yes was a bit smoother ride, but not enough for me to say I want it. It has to be a serious issue as when I brought up the air suspension vs no air suspension, and the sales manager said to go with out it, as it was a know issue in colder cooler climates.....
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

Quote Originally Posted by mrhobie View Post
      That’s a great post. Thanks for sharing. It does make you highly consider NOT purchasing air suspension. The T8 we drove rode very well without air suspension.
      I'll start by saying that I absolutely recommend the Air Suspension and would purchase it again. I love it & use it everyday, changing modes frequently between Individual & Dynamic/P* throughout my drive.

But I will also say that I had my entire air pump assembly replaced under warranty (dealer cost of ~$1,000) at 6,000 miles. This was on a brand new 2018 XC60 R-Design T6. Food for thought.
      Current:
      2018 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
      Osmium Grey and Black w/ White Stitches
      ODO: 20,000 miles

Former:
      2007 Volvo S80 V8 AWD
      Black and Tan

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2