First time Volvo owner
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Smile First time Volvo owner

Hey all,

Just bought my first Volvo. I was leaning towards the RX350, but the safety features on the Volvo won me over. I'm carting around a 2 year old in the backseat so it just felt like the right choice. I wound up with a 2020 XC60 in Denim Blue. Blonde interior. T5 Inscription. It has the Advanced and Luxury Package. So far I'm pretty thrilled with it. I'm still trying to figure out how to work the automatic window wipers though! The only downside was not getting the child booster seats. Maybe next time! Any tips or suggestions on things to look out for or adjust in this vehicle? Again its my first Volvo.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I turn the automatic wipers off. Never have found a car that I like them in, prefer intermittent setting. I turned off the auto start/stop and most of the other "nannies" too. Don't like all the vibrating and buzzing if I wander a bit. Also was about to buy an RX350 when we just stopped at the Volvo dealer across the street out of curiosity. One mile into the test drive my wife says,"well this changes everything!" Drove back to the dealer and bought one. Six months in and no problems and still love it.

Congrats on the new Volvo! I use the auto-sensing windshield wipers. It usually works for me and a few times maybe wipes more than necessary.
      If you feel it is too slow, you can still turn the knobs to make it more sensitive and faster. This helps when you need it to wipe faster for a moment, and you can then just forget the setting. Good for lazy guys like me.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by johnz1954 View Post
      I turn the automatic wipers off. Never have found a car that I like them in, prefer intermittent setting. I turned off the auto start/stop and most of the other "nannies" too. Don't like all the vibrating and buzzing if I wander a bit.
      I love the automatic wipers in our Volvos. They work well. It seems a matter of preference.

OP - don't turn off "nannies". They are more than that. The only thing I'd suggest is to set "Lane Keeping Assist" to "Warning" instead of "Both".
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

To engage the rain-sensing wipers you press where the red arrow indicates in this image. It's not really a "button" just an area of the stick.

Keep in mind that turning them on manually will disengage this mode.

I've had "auto wipers" on a few vehicles, and the XC60 is the only one I've been able to keep it on (almost) all the time. Really does a solid job.

I made the change in settings so that auto wipers sensing function is always turned on. There is a symbol on the dash to indicate this. This way I never have to turn on the sensing function...it turns on automatically when the car is started.

Activating/deactivating memory
      function
      The rain sensor's memory function can be set to
      activate so that the rain sensor button does not
      need to be pressed each time the engine is
      started:
      1. Tap Settings in the Top view in the center
      display.
      2. Tap My Car Wipers.
      3. Select Rain Sensor Memory to activate/
      deactivate the memory function.
      Last edited by countryguy; 10-30-2019 at 06:16 PM.
      2019 XC60 Momentum T6 AWD
      Crystal White with black interior & charcoal headliner
      Climate Pkg, Vision Pkg, Convenience Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
      I made the change in settings so that auto wipers sensing function is always turned on. There is a symbol on the dash to indicate this. This way I never have to turn on the sensing function...it turns on automatically when the car is started.
      Be careful with that during a car wash though.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      Be careful with that during a car wash though.
      I never have taken taken any of my cars through an automatic car wash. In warm weather I wash it myself and during the winter I go to a manual car wash where I spray the car myself.
      2019 XC60 Momentum T6 AWD
      Crystal White with black interior & charcoal headliner
      Climate Pkg, Vision Pkg, Convenience Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
      I never have taken taken any of my cars through an automatic car wash. In warm weather I wash it myself and during the winter I go to a manual car wash where I spray the car myself.
      I don't take it to an auto wash either, but in the manual one I'd rather err on the safe side either way.
      It works in your case as you are vigilant about it.
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      I don't take it to an auto wash either, but in the manual one I'd rather err on the safe side either way.
      It works in your case as you are vigilant about it.
      It's insane how much I've learned about the XC60 on this forum. Great resource!

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      It's insane how much I've learned about the XC60 on this forum. Great resource!
      As a rule - we know a lot more than the salespeople do
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Congrats guys on the new car ... you will love it!

And thanks for the wiper rain sensing feature details ... had no idea I had it LOL

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements