MN-TURBOR's 07 XC70 Thread - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      another comparison. rear suspension refresh and CCP 1in rear strut spacer and different tires.

Last edited by MN-TURBOR; 11-21-2019 at 07:40 PM.
      2007 S60R - Ti Grey/Atacama M66 - Stage II Shark Tune - 8EightFab downpipe - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - SNABB FMIC/Intake Pipe - TWM Short Shifter - Forge CBV - UR Front Brace/Rear Brace - IPD 28mm Rear Sway Bar - BC Racing Coilovers
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - Electric Silver - Muffler/Resonator Delete
      2007 XC70 - Ice White - Stage I Shark Tune - Muffler Delete

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

just got my alignment done, what can i do to improve caster?

front control arms, ball joints, end links are a few thousand miles old. coil springs were replaced with OEM 50k miles ago. i think the struts and strut mounts are original. cars got about 113k miles on it now.

2007 S60R - Ti Grey/Atacama M66 - Stage II Shark Tune - 8EightFab downpipe - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - SNABB FMIC/Intake Pipe - TWM Short Shifter - Forge CBV - UR Front Brace/Rear Brace - IPD 28mm Rear Sway Bar - BC Racing Coilovers

MN-TURBOR's 07 XC70 Thread

Not much you can do for cater but I wouldn’t worry about it anyways, that’s just the angle the strut is at really. I’d worry about that toe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoJon View Post
      Not much you can do for cater but I wouldn’t worry about it anyways, that’s just the angle the strut is at really. I’d worry about that toe.

front or rear toe? or both? i did tell the shop to get it to 0 or as close as possible.

Interesting that caster is just below minimum, but I agree, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine, with my beefed up front end hits the upper limit. Maybe go XC90 is the answer
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

I got zero toe front and back.

Quote Originally Posted by MN-TURBOR View Post
      S P A C E D out and spoiler installed! thinking about dipping the V O L V O black.

Do it.....

Just did it tonight in the cold garage, perfectionist me will have to redo it, but this was a test, you'll see it tomorrow. But this confirms, strong chance I may actually permanently paint these next summer

Sorry, no wagon but visually a huge improvement (very dirty pre pic)
      The classic cruiser, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.
      The new daily, 2011 XC60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze Metallic.

Previous:
      2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1
      2001 S60 fwd

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by spiked60 View Post
      Do it.....

Just did it tonight in the cold garage, perfectionist me will have to redo it, but this was a test, you'll see it tomorrow. But this confirms, strong chance I may actually permanently paint these next summer

Sorry, no wagon but visually a huge improvement (very dirty pre pic)
      cant wait to see it tomo! i do want to dip mine black too!

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoJon View Post
      I got zero toe front and back.

took my S60R to a pro shop for an alignment and they go it all down perfect. i got this lifetime alignment package from tires plus...been to 4 locations and they just seem lazy about doing it perfectly.

got some snow in the twin cities, had to go out for some pics!

Looks right at home.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 & 2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

Awesome build! A couple of questions: how do you like the Shark tune? How does it change the driving characteristics, other than (hopefully) more grunt? When you swapped out the headlight bulbs, did you need to modify the housings at all to fit anything? Did you get a bulb out notification?

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Looks right at home.
      i know! loving it so far!

Quote Originally Posted by gcalahan View Post
      Awesome build! A couple of questions: how do you like the Shark tune? How does it change the driving characteristics, other than (hopefully) more grunt? When you swapped out the headlight bulbs, did you need to modify the housings at all to fit anything? Did you get a bulb out notification?
      if you have a XC70 you need a Shark Tune, i wouldn't drive one without it. I've given the keys to stock tune XC70 owners and they bought the tune in immediately, so there are quite a few local tuned XC70s. you can notice the difference instantly and it just livens up the car in general.

as far as the LED headlight bulbs, i get a headlight low beam error maybe once a week and i daily the car. i just hit read when it comes one. no orange triangle or anything else. so not really an issue or an annoyance. those headlights have been awesome!

if you have a XC70 you need a Shark Tune, i wouldn't drive one without it. I've given the keys to stock tune XC70 owners and they bought the tune in immediately, so there are quite a few local tuned XC70s. you can notice the difference instantly and it just livens up the car in general.

as far as the LED headlight bulbs, i get a headlight low beam error maybe once a week and i daily the car. i just hit read when it comes one. no orange triangle or anything else. so not really an issue or an annoyance. those headlights have been awesome!
      Thanks, I'm definitely going to look into a Shark tune. Is it a difference you can feel throughout the rev band? Has you gas mileage changed?

Interesting - I installed a set of LEDs a while ago and got constant warnings, including the triangle, so I uninstalled them. At that time I wasn't doing a lot of night driving, but am doing more now, so time to revisit headlight upgrades...

Quote Originally Posted by gcalahan View Post
      Thanks, I'm definitely going to look into a Shark tune. Is it a difference you can feel throughout the rev band? Has you gas mileage changed?

Interesting - I installed a set of LEDs a while ago and got constant warnings, including the triangle, so I uninstalled them. At that time I wasn't doing a lot of night driving, but am doing more now, so time to revisit headlight upgrades...
      low to mid range is way better than stock, esp in 3rd gear. i did not have the 1-2 tq limiter removed. I'd like to get it on a dyno next spring.
      i avg a city/hwy mix of 19-21 mpg that hasn't changed. if i do a highway only trips its around 24-25.

these bulbs are bright, i did re-align them after install

roof rack installed - ARKSEN 64" Universal Black Roof Rack

light bar installed - Rigidhorse 32 Inch LED Light Bar Single Row - AMAZON

quick video of just the light bar in action. its pretty bright for a slim one row light bar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtD5GzMgGwU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8nS-ujst98

I'm just stumbling on this now LOL, looks good in pictures but drives even better in person. And you got the light bar on! Does it throw any crazy reflections/glare off of the hood?
      1998 V70R Mystic Silver/Graphite
      1996 RN Swapped 854R Bright Red/Graphite

Past:
      1998 V70 NA/m Classic Red/Light Gray

Read through the entire thread, I can't believe I'm saying this but pegs look good on this thing. Storm trooper look usually isn't my cup of tea but you made this thing PERFECT, looks amazing!

S P A C E D out and spoiler installed! thinking about dipping the V O L V O black.

I think black spaced logo would really fit the look of the car, especially with the new rack
      1998 V70R Mystic Silver/Graphite
      1996 RN Swapped 854R Bright Red/Graphite

Past:
      1998 V70 NA/m Classic Red/Light Gray

Looks great, man.
      How did you power it? Run the cable to what? What about the switch? What did you use? Pics?
      roof rack installed - ARKSEN 64" Universal Black Roof Rack
      light bar installed - Rigidhorse 32 Inch LED Light Bar Single Row - AMAZON
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Looks great, man.
      How did you power it? Run the cable to what? What about the switch? What did you use? Pics?
      Did that for the Black Oak flood pods installed on the roof basket. Relay's input is the left fog lamp. When I need just the fog lamps I pull the relay.

The pods were flooding the hood and windshield badly, they were migrated to the bumper using Volvo's auxiliary lights kit:

The roof basket got a lightbar, controlled by the climate panel button from aux.kit:

Basket can be easily removed (easy as in 100 lbs), the plug is zip-tied to the rail. I like how I did the power to the roof lights, because it does not introduce any water penetration points to the cabin.

Looks great, man.
      pretty much with VTL did. i used this wiring kit which made life easier: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076C5HV59/

lightbar i used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCNYXFT/

Quote Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
      Read through the entire thread, I can't believe I'm saying this but pegs look good on this thing. Storm trooper look usually isn't my cup of tea but you made this thing PERFECT, looks amazing!

I think black spaced logo would really fit the look of the car, especially with the new rack
      yes i plan on dipping them black soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
      I'm just stumbling on this now LOL, looks good in pictures but drives even better in person. And you got the light bar on! Does it throw any crazy reflections/glare off of the hood?
      thanks!! the light bar is far enough back that it does not glare. i will be testing it more this weekend up in the wilderness of MNs North Shore.

Sorry - still confused. Having trouble envisioning how this is powered even with that link. Does the power go down the A pillar or something and into the engine bay by the valance? Then you run something through the FW to the cabin to switch?
      A few pictures of the details on yours would be immeasurably easier to illustrate the setup. In theory you could use an OEM switch in the CCM at the shifter level, right?

pretty much with VTL did. i used this wiring kit which made life easier: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076C5HV59/
      lightbar i used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCNYXFT/
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

The plug is already there under the hood. Yes, you need a switch. Any switch will work - they are all the same, only configuration matrix differs. Take any switch and resolder 1-2 resistors for the switch to act like aux lights switch.

photo dump

Looking awesome.

Forgot to follow up.
      So you're saying the connection of lights to power goes to under hood via what route? Along A-pillar on the outside? Tucked under or beside the trim and through cowl? And then the plug from under hood to cabin is already there so it's just a matter of getting a switch in the dash to close the circuit? Where does the wire come to the cabin? Console or over by the light switch left of the steering wheel?
      Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
      The plug is already there under the hood. Yes, you need a switch. Any switch will work - they are all the same, only configuration matrix differs. Take any switch and resolder 1-2 resistors for the switch to act like aux lights switch.

Forgot to follow up.
      So you're saying the connection of lights to power goes to under hood via what route? Along A-pillar on the outside? Tucked under or beside the trim and through cowl? And then the plug from under hood to cabin is already there so it's just a matter of getting a switch in the dash to close the circuit? Where does the wire come to the cabin? Console or over by the light switch left of the steering wheel?
      There's a factory-installed plug for aux lights, it sits near air filter box. You can plug you own harness into it, via relay. The plug is powered by CEM when it sees CCM aux lights button pressed and the high beams are turned on. Everything here is a part of factory install, you just need a CCM button with proper ID (encoded via resistor matrix inside the button - take any button and resolder the matrix).

I had my own wiring hidden behind A-pillar outside trim, see pictures above.

MN-TURBOR you have done a wonderful job. Your XC70 is probably the best looking XC I have ever seen, very tasteful.

Just wanted to say that’s a really good looking XC. Just shows how timeless that P2 styling is.

Thanks, man.
      Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
      There's a factory-installed plug for aux lights, it sits near air filter box. You can plug you own harness into it, via relay. The plug is powered by CEM when it sees CCM aux lights button pressed and the high beams are turned on. Everything here is a part of factory install, you just need a CCM button with proper ID (encoded via resistor matrix inside the button - take any button and resolder the matrix).

I had my own wiring hidden behind A-pillar outside trim, see pictures above.

Quote Originally Posted by zn14 View Post
      MN-TURBOR you have done a wonderful job. Your XC70 is probably the best looking XC I have ever seen, very tasteful.
      thank you! you have to check out @eric_samuelson XC70.

Quote Originally Posted by goonerm3 View Post
      Just wanted to say that’s a really good looking XC. Just shows how timeless that P2 styling is.
      thanks! yea people dont believe its that old but still looks modern.

video of the muffler delete is up

https://youtu.be/3mTMaOpchjQ

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2