Looking at a potential R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Looking at a potential R

I found a low mileage (87k) 2007 S60R for sale. According to the internet it's on it's 4th owner. I'm going to see it tomorrow and hook up my Dice tool if she will let me. Over the phone she says it probably needs a timing belt, one of the struts has an error message (front driver strut). 5500 bucks.... Too good to be true? A steal? Just right?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MjollnirXC60 View Post
      I found a low mileage (87k) 2007 S60R for sale. According to the internet it's on it's 4th owner. I'm going to see it tomorrow and hook up my Dice tool if she will let me. Over the phone she says it probably needs a timing belt, one of the struts has an error message (front driver strut). 5500 bucks.... Too good to be true? A steal? Just right?
      For where you are located, and it being an SR, it may be slightly over priced. Im not an expert though. Is it an auto or manual? That will drive the price a bunch too.

what's the paint color and interior? that will help determine a fair price. also I would consider block testing the motor just to make sure it doesn't have a crack
      2007 S60R Sonic Blue/Nordkap GT, ~50k miles
      1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Polar White, ~200k miles (previous car)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It's a dark grey exterior, Nordkap blue interior. Automatic. How do I block test the motor? Glove test?

It better be super clean and need almost nothing to be 5500.
      This is something I've read about but have never used. It helps detect hydrocarbons.
      https://smile.amazon.com/Block-Teste...dDbGljaz10cnVl

It's a dark grey exterior, Nordkap blue interior. Automatic. How do I block test the motor? Glove test?
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Block tester for exhaust gasses in coolant. Test drive for at least 15 minutes and check for the coolant light or coolant loss at the overflow tank, excessive pressure at the upper radiator hose.

Pull plugs, look for white dust/residue around the plug holes.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      It better be super clean and need almost nothing to be 5500.
      This is something I've read about but have never used. It helps detect hydrocarbons.
      it needs at least one 4c strut, and possibly the timing belt, assuming its never been changed at 86k miles

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      You can get the test kit from the local auto parts store's tool rental program, just need to purchase the test fluid.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi

Test the fluid before relying on it. It has a shelf life in my experience. Put some by your tail pipe and make sure it changes colors. I have some old test fluid that no longer changes when exposed to exhaust gases. Granted, its been on ny shelf for a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      2005 Volvo S60R AWD MT - Mystic Metallic Silver w/ Nordkap Leather

Don't do it!
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Don't do it!
      Don't do what? Don't buy?

Figure the strut is $300 or so. I would replace the hardware when I am in there. Not sure if you are doing the work or a mechanic, that will factor into price.
      You will also need an alignment, ~$100.
      Around $600-700 all in for tbelt/tensioners/wp/coolant/serp belt and labor.

You'd be in close to $7k after all said and done. If the body is clean and you plan on keeping it for a bit, that's not a terrible price.
      Current - 2007 M66 S60R Sapphikap, 2005 M66 S60R Sappikap Mods: Evolv Exhaust.

Don't do what? Don't buy?
      Yes, unless your willing to spend a bit. If you expect to pay 8k all in for a good car, I think you'll be happy but if your worried about affording the cost of 6k or less I'd walk. These cars are great if you willing to spend a bit up front. I've had my R almost 7 years/80k miles ($18k later in performance, wear and tear and subtle features) I couldn't be happier and now I have a rock solid R that can will last longer than any new cheapo luxury ride today.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Yes, unless your willing to spend a bit. If you expect to pay 8k all in for a good car, I think you'll be happy but if your worried about affording the cost of 6k or less I'd walk. These cars are great if you willing to spend a bit up front. I've had my R almost 7 years/80k miles ($18k later in performance, wear and tear and subtle features) I couldn't be happier and now I have a rock solid R that can will last longer than any new cheapo luxury ride today.
      I'm not too worried about too to much costs. My total budget is around 8500. At first I didnt know what is the going rate for a R. There are a few a couple hours away with higher mileage and more money. I've also learned that the exhaust isn't stock either. Trying to find out if it was done nicely or bubba'd.

I see it this afternoon. I always wanted a V70R, and I'm scheduled to see a 9-5 Aero wagon this weekend. It's way cheaper, higher mileage but enthusiast owned and did overseas delivery. Wish I could afford both tbh.

I`d get the 9-5 Aero Wagin because they are cool. S60r`s are vanilla looking. V70r first choice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      I`d get the 9-5 Aero Wagin because they are cool. S60r`s are vanilla looking. V70r first choice though.
      Interesting... I kinda want the waggy bad. It's a '07 model but 192k and well kept. hoping to score for under 2k. We will see how the S60R excites me today and how clean it is.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements