CV Axle questions AWD vs FWD
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The never ending struggle between AWD and FWD specific parts continues as I ordered the wrong RH CV axle replacement (FWD - vo8040). Of course I didnít realize this until I completely tore apart the old axle leaving me with no axle to at least limp the car around. Donít even get me started on the grease caked over everything.

Long story short there is a difference between the FWD and AWD Passenger side axle. My question is, is there a difference between automatic and manual? Oriellys has one listed for AWD manual but doesnít specify any for AWD automatic.

I am actually very surprised that oriellys is the cheapest option for replacement and the fastest delivery but want to make sure before I order and get stuck with 3 axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes, there is a spline count difference iirc making them incompatible between manual and automatic.

Oreilly's here in the .com site says
      60-9350 - CV Axle Shaft Remanufactured; Front; Driver Side; Automatic Transmission
      60-9351 - CV Axle Shaft Remanufactured; Front; Passenger Side; Automatic Transmission
      VO8038 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Driver Side; Front Wheel Drive; Automatic Transmission
      VO8049 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Passenger Side; All Wheel Drive; Manual Transmission
      VO8040 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Passenger Side; Front Wheel Drive; Automatic Transmission; Angular Adjusted Roller (AAR) Joint
      VO8064 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Passenger Side; Front Wheel Drive; Manual Transmission; Angular Adjusted Roller (AAR) Joint
      VO8065 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Driver Side; Front Wheel Drive; Manual Transmission
      V08072 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Driver Side; All Wheel Drive; Manual Transmission
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Yes, there is a spline count difference iirc making them incompatible between manual and automatic.

Oreilly's here in the .com site says
      60-9350 - CV Axle Shaft Remanufactured; Front; Driver Side; Automatic Transmission
      60-9351 - CV Axle Shaft Remanufactured; Front; Passenger Side; Automatic Transmission
      VO8038 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Driver Side; Front Wheel Drive; Automatic Transmission
      VO8049 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Passenger Side; All Wheel Drive; Manual Transmission
      VO8040 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Passenger Side; Front Wheel Drive; Automatic Transmission; Angular Adjusted Roller (AAR) Joint
      VO8064 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Passenger Side; Front Wheel Drive; Manual Transmission; Angular Adjusted Roller (AAR) Joint
      VO8065 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Driver Side; Front Wheel Drive; Manual Transmission
      V08072 - CV Axle Shaft New; Front; Driver Side; All Wheel Drive; Manual Transmission
      Ok, do you know what the spline count should be or if they differ from LH side to RH side?

I installed part number vo-8038 on the Driver side that had a 26-36 spline count and fit, same as oriellys replacement part for manual (vo8049).

Thereís no way Iím paying over $500 for a oem replacement right now, are there any other options like from Mazda or ford maybe?

2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It looks like eEuroparts has an aftermarket axle assembly that will likely fit your car: Volvo Axle Assembly - Front Passenger Side (Auto Trans) (New) 36000561 - FEQ 36000561. But I'd double-check according to chassis number. I recently purchased a right-side front axle assembly from Autozone (an Autozone branded Surtrack/Trakmotive axle) for my 2005 T5 AWD M66 but I don't see that they have one for your car.

Manual and Auto are different spline counts, not interchangeable. A AWD Right axle can be used in a FWD but not the other way around. FWD and AWD Driver side is same.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans60R View Post
      Manual and Auto are different spline counts, not interchangeable. A AWD Right axle can be used in a FWD but not the other way around. FWD and AWD Driver side is same.
      Whatís the spline count suppose to be for the passenger side On an AWD auto? The spline count on the driver side was 26-36 why would the right side be different?

According to oriellys the difference between the auto and manual option is a half inch difference in overall length when compressed.

Last edited by jondevieonS40; 11-02-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Spline count differs only between automatic and manual. FWD vs AWD is another issue - axle configuration. They're the same on the left, but on the AWD the right-side axle goes through the angle gear. I wouldn't mix and match those, personally. But I guess the AWD would in fact "fit" both.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Right now the part number I keep getting is 36000561 - AWD auto. I guess Iíll just stick with that and cross my fingers but Iíll count the splines on the old shaft when I pull it out.

Well that is interesting then - because spline count on both of my aftermarkets/oem's for my M66 was 26 for the diff and 36 for the wheel bearing.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Finally received the correct part today,
      this > https://www.ebay.com/itm/CV-Axle-Sha...72.m2749.l2649
      The spline counts on both the FWD -LH axle and AWD - LH axle were the same (26-36), difference being in length and diameter of some of the components.
      The install was easier, but of course in true meat head fashion i damaged something else for trying to cut corners and save time. when trying to reconnect the steering rod i stripped the threading on the nut to the ball joint and the hex key slot so the whole thing just spinning now. This poor cars literally being held together with zip ties

Can i use the ball joint off a 06 2.4i V50 - thats all the local yard has right now - gosh i hope theres not a difference with that part too.

Yes - rock auto says they are a direct match.

The part was a match - thank goodness this will last me until i order a new set for both sides. I also noticed the bellows on the steering rack arms are popping off - do they need any type of grease in them before i throw on a new clamp?

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      The part was a match - thank goodness this will last me until i order a new set for both sides. I also noticed the bellows on the steering rack arms are popping off - do they need any type of grease in them before i throw on a new clamp?
      I don't think it's necessary.
      I would check to see if it's dirty, as that dirt will wear down the seal and cause the system to fail sooner. So maybe push it all the way out on the side you're on and clean it, regrease if your greasering already on it is dirty, wiping off the old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      I don't think it's necessary.
      I would check to see if it's dirty, as that dirt will wear down the seal and cause the system to fail sooner. So maybe push it all the way out on the side you're on and clean it, regrease if your greasering already on it is dirty, wiping off the old stuff. I used some high temp high compression 500*F drop point based heavy duty grease Lucas Green Xtreme

Awaiting Approval
      Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      Spline count differs only between automatic and manual. FWD vs AWD is another issue - axle configuration. They're the same on the left, but on the AWD the right-side axle goes through the angle gear. I wouldn't mix and match those, personally. But I guess the AWD would in fact "fit" both.
      Thanks everyone who's posted relevant info here, it's been very helpful. Any thoughts regarding whether or not this passenger side axle from Autozone will work with an '06 AWD V50 T5;

https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/...5_0_1248_78656

They said it's the same for the AWD T5 and FWD but I know more than a couple folks who were sold an incorrect part by AutoZone. I just spent about $1200 replacing all four bearings and can't afford and OEM axle, I'm just trying to keep my car rolling as long as possible. Already have a TrakMotive replacement for the driver side, figure this one would be similar quality and might even be manufactured by TrakMotive and sold with the Duralast name.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements