My New to me 2007 S60R GT
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

My New to me 2007 S60R GT

It's been awhile since I owned an R and decided to look around and found a fairly good condition 2007 model.

114k Miles

Maint done so far is

t-belt and associated tensioners
      camshaft seals
      upper spring seats
      front struts
      front/rear brake pads
      engine mounts
      lubed steering column
      left front sway bar link replaced
      PCV serviced - replaced box and coupler

Only issues I'm having are suspension noises, and transmission likes to randomly shift hard. Im suspecting I need to flush and possibly software update... any inputs?
      Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Electric silver. Nice!
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Check out the valve body thread on here to see if you have the updated unit as the hard shift is a symptom of the crappy older unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2008 C30 R-Design MT Black
      2007 V70R GT Ti Grey Nordkap

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Very nice. Get the software updated; should alleviate the hard shift. The 07 shouldn't be plagued with 'crappy, older' parts.

What kind of noises are you hearing?
      2006 VR, Electric Silver/Nordkap

Quote Originally Posted by tired95855 View Post
      Very nice. Get the software updated; should alleviate the hard shift. The 07 shouldn't be plagued with 'crappy, older' parts.
      Unfortunately, not necessarily true...
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...al-Number-Info
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

Valve Body replacement is only real fix

Trans serial is 06B, built 05/2006. I plan to flush and then check for software updates. Suspension noises im getting bounciness goin down the road and sounds like shock noise on rough roads. Ill also be replacing top motor/sway mount as the rubber interior of that piece is cracked and easily moveable.

I did read up a bit on the valve body thread, I would think if volvo had a TNN on these things they would fix them regardless what mileage the vehicle has.

Volvo will not replace or fix unless you want to pay for it. That Trans serial number falls well within the range of bad valve bodies. $1400 if you do it yourself ( don`t buy a rebuilt valve body for $600 ) or $2500 to $3000 if Volvo does it.

Well hopefully I don't have to do that immediately, or I can find one off a parts car for far cheaper.

You can live with it, just no full throttle runs, because eventually it will slam shift hard enough to ruin the trans if you do. Kinda takes the fun out of the car though. You will be super lucky to find one out of a parts car, because they`ll want to sell the transmission whole, besides the valve body could have the same problem and you really don`t want to do the job twice. New from Volvo or a Sonnax rebuild ( hard to find ) is the way to go.

Ironically it doesn't do it when I punch it... nice n smooth. Its usually light throttle/coasting or speeding up/slowing down its doing it. I have hopes the flush will help and then will talk to my local dealer about the software update for it.

Believe me it will, that tends to be sporradic. Doesn`t hurt to flush, but the inevitable Valve Body change is on the horizon. The early TF80-SC is infamous for VB issues. the later ones are better but you`re not necessarily safe with those either.
      https://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/1017...mission-issues
      Last edited by Thommykent; 11-04-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Spoke with one of the head guys at Southwest Auto in Houston TX. They were also responsible for the last servicing the vehicle got before I purchased. Mentioned transmission, and he said he's had around 75% success rate with using Seafoam Hydra Trans Tune. The way he explained how it works is it essentially cleans the varnish off the valve body problem areas. That being said, I've bought some of the Seafoam treatment and swapped it in with around another 2.5L of royal purple max atf fluid. I'll run it for around 150-200 miles and then do a full fluid flush via the heater hose method until it runs clean. That being said, I have noticed the seafoam making an immediate improvement. Fluid was damned near brown coming out, so it was definitely past time.

Had a #5 cylinder misfire today while out running errands, traced it down to coil pack. Put a cheapo Duralast pack on until I can get some OEM Volvo packs. Did find a good deal on plugs, Bosch Iridium plugs from autozone, look damn near identical to OEM Volvo plugs.

So that means so far gonna replace the following:

Plugs
      #5 coil pack
      tranny fluid
      engine oil/filter
      two new front Pirelli tires
      top sway/engine mount - other 4 bottom mounts were done under a year ago

This motor is in definite need of cleaning per say. Picture for reference, mostly oil and grime build up over its life what products do you guys recommend using to clean it up a bit.
      Attached Images Attached Images

^^^^^^ Interested in this as well; both of my R's could use some engine bay dress-up and cleaning.

-Steve
      2005 S60R - For sale
      2006 V70R - Elec Silver/Nord, 6MT Goodies: Bone friggin' stock!
      "It must be made to look the best and most evil in its evilness" - Helmutt Ranff

Simple Green spray, let sit for a few minutes. Get a set of detail brushed from Amazon or Harbor Freight, scrub and wipe clean with some rags. Pull the air box and clean in a sink along with the engine covers.

I used (I know it's weird) olive oil to rehydrate the plastics, apply with a paper towel and let sit for a while and do one more coat.

With all the fancy and sometimes problematic electronics under the hood I would not recommend spraying with water.. ever.

Hadnt thought of simple green, I did spray my covers down with seafoam carb cleaner and then whipped em down. Was gonna do Dawn soap in the sink, but simple green may just do the trick.

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements