V90 cold weather grill slats?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

V90 cold weather grill slats?

I came across a photo on Instagram of a V90 that had cold/winter weather grill slats that would open and close with colder temps, similar to what is found on some XC90s in certain markets. Does anyone know which markets these came on the V90, and even better, anyone have any idea what the part number(s) might be?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      I came across a photo on Instagram of a V90 that had cold/winter weather grill slats that would open and close with colder temps, similar to what is found on some XC90s in certain markets. Does anyone know which markets these came on the V90, and even better, anyone have any idea what the part number(s) might be?
      I think Canada has them not the US

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

Managed to find the pic where you can see them. They're closed here.
      Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Okay, figured out the part number for the primary component. It's part # 31690201, but...I thought they might be controlled by a mechanical thermostat, but by the looks of this, there's an electronic servo that does the opening and closing. So chances are, even with the parts, the car won't recognize it to operate it properly.
      Attached Images Attached Images

hmm i wonder if there is wires already setup there so you can just add this your self.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

My 2017 V90 CC has it from factory. So, US market has them.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Since V90s have no water-temperature gauge, I wouldn't dream of putting something like this into the car.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Since V90s have no water-temperature gauge, I wouldn't dream of putting something like this into the car.
      Volvo did
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Managed to find the pic where you can see them. They're closed here.
      This pix is a v90 CC Ocean Race...never noticed these on my 2018 OR...will have to look tomorrow...

Also did a part lookup and it says it came on '17 T6 and '18/'19 T5, T6, T6 OR...

Quote Originally Posted by hackR View Post
      This pix is a v90 CC Ocean Race...never noticed these on my 2018 OR...will have to look tomorrow...

Also did a part lookup and it says it came on '17 T6 and '18/'19 T5, T6, T6 OR...
      Our 2019 VOR does not have them. I'm thinking only the Canadians would have gotten them here in North America. That said, there are definitely some points in the winter here in MA that they'd be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      My 2017 V90 CC has it from factory. So, US market has them.
      I missed this post.

Interesting! In 2017 did they offer a separate "cold weather" package? I could see these being added on with that.

I missed this post.

Interesting! In 2017 did they offer a separate "cold weather" package? I could see these being added on with that.
      I don't recall seeing it as an option. Anything related to cold weather package usually has in cabin things like steering wheel heating or seat heating.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk

Volvo did
      That's fine. They also provided us with a car with zero engine-monitoring gauges other than the master caution light that says "Call a flatbed, schmuck. You're done for the day."

Sensors fail.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      That's fine. They also provided us with a car with zero engine-monitoring gauges other than the master caution light that says "Call a flatbed, schmuck. You're done for the day."

Sensors fail.
      OBD2 dongle + Torque app?

No, there was no "cold weather" package for MY17 in the US.

My MY17 does not have the active slats, though it does appear to have the surround that would contain the slats.

Another thing US market misses out on. I don't miss these, though. The just would have made me feel like my car was more "hardcore" if I knew they were there. We absolutely don't need them.

By the way, I don't believe this component is intended to "protect" the radiator from anything other than the cold. These slat into the air guide to close it off if temperatures are so low as to require these to maintain ideal temperatures through the radiator and keep it from freezing. Remember, the cars are tested to -35°C. It doesn't get nearly as cold here as it does in the Yukon or Nunavut. I wonder if they add these on Alaskan vehicles, though?
      Last edited by matt1122; 11-04-2019 at 12:01 PM.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      No, there was no "cold weather" package for MY17 in the US.

My MY17 does not have the active slats, though it does appear to have the surround that would contain the slats.

Another thing US market misses out on. I don't miss these, though. The just would have made me feel like my car was more "hardcore" if I knew they were there. We absolutely don't need them.

By the way, I don't believe this component is intended to "protect" the radiator from anything other than the cold. These slat into the air guide to close it off if temperatures are so low as to require these to maintain ideal temperatures through the radiator and keep it from freezing. Remember, the cars are tested to -35°C. It doesn't get nearly as cold here as it does in the Yukon or Nunavut. I wonder if they add these on Alaskan vehicles, though?
      Yeah, they're not intended as protection, though I suppose that's an added bonus. They're intended to work as you described, maintaining an appropriate temp in severe cold. This seems to be a standard part on Scandinavian destined cars, and the southern parts of those countries are pretty similar to New England and the upper-midwest.

My 1959 Volvo PV544 Had a Radiator "Blind"

Once again, Volvo was leading in the technology department with a simple design to help regulate the temp of the engine coolant. The radiator blind was operated with a chain linked to the interior compartment. The driver pulled on the chain and a "Blind" would raise up to cover the radiator in any amount selected to reduce the amount of cold air passing through the radiator thus keeping the fluid warmer
      2018 V90 T6 RD Passion Red, Amber, Polestar

I have them and my car came from Florida, go figure
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 Polestar'd Onyx Black Metallic/Blonde - Daily driver

Dumb question: Could this air guide be used to make the car more efficient by blocking unneeded air coming through the radiator when the car is at highway speeds and with little need of extra cooling?

Quote Originally Posted by SKY-KING View Post
      Once again, Volvo was leading in the technology department with a simple design to help regulate the temp of the engine coolant. The radiator blind was operated with a chain linked to the interior compartment. The driver pulled on the chain and a "Blind" would raise up to cover the radiator in any amount selected to reduce the amount of cold air passing through the radiator thus keeping the fluid warmer
      I remember that in a 544 twin carb from the 1960s.

Had that on 1958 Skoda octavia. Manual but worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      Dumb question: Could this air guide be used to make the car more efficient by blocking unneeded air coming through the radiator when the car is at highway speeds and with little need of extra cooling?
      It's probably recessed too far in to be much help with aero-efficiency. It would need to be closer to the grill itself (like some BMWs) to help smooth things out.

It's probably recessed too far in to be much help with aero-efficiency. It would need to be closer to the grill itself (like some BMWs) to help smooth things out.
      Makes sense, thanks for the reply.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      Could probably help the car warm up more quickly in cold climates, aiding in everything from fuel efficiency to comfort.

I wonder what temperatures the slats trigger at, if installed.

I just put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator when its below zero outside...

Doesn't look like my 2018 V90CC Ocean Race has it. Maybe it was only on MY 2017 V90(CC)'s stateside.
      2018 V90CC Ocean Race, Blond/Charcoal Interior, Polestar (OSD July, 2018)

This is a video that was done in 2017 in Wilmington NC on the actual car that I purchased shortly after this video was done. At the 2:51 minute on the video, he points out the grill louvers. I have no idea if the reason he gives for them is correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EblWvKTYEYI

Quote Originally Posted by nquery View Post
      Maybe it was only on MY 2017 V90(CC)'s stateside.
      It's sort of looking that way. Probably one of those things that was initially retained to simplify production, then later was removed to reduce costs.

It's sort of looking that way. Probably one of those things that was initially retained to simplify production, then later was removed to reduce costs.
      Or all cars made in Torslanda in Sweden have them (all through MY 2017, Europe market only 2018 and on) but S90's made in China starting in MY 2018 lack them?

It looks like my MY2017 S90 T6 Momentum Plus has the feature, seen here in the closed position:

I never thought to look before. I wonder if it is a real benefit outside of extreme cold climates.
      Last edited by mattlach; 11-07-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Actually mine is a 2018 made in Sweden but does not have these. Having searched a lot and actually investigated if I could retrofit them, I came down with the following findings (at least for Europe).

T5's and T6's do not have them on the XC60 Range prior to 2019
      All diesel models and T8's have them.

The reason for doing so (at least in Europe) is because they sell diesels and T8s with low consumption figures and due to the new measurements they wanted the cars to be as fuel efficient as possible in highway speeds.

Does not make sense why not to put them also on T5s and T6s but the worst is that it cannot be retrofitted if it was not specced from the factory as the car's CanBus cannot support this function.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Or all cars made in Torslanda in Sweden have them (all through MY 2017, Europe market only 2018 and on) but S90's made in China starting in MY 2018 lack them?
      I don't think that's it. There's been a few with V90s here (Torslanda built) that are 2018+ that don't have them. I'm thinking it is a 2017 vs 2018+ thing.

My V90CC T6 VOR built in Sweden (delivered Feb/2019) doesn't have them.
      RU1
      -------------------------------------
      2019 - VOLVO V90CC T6 VOR

Mine doesn't have them either, built Feb 2017.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

36. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements