Latest Nov 2019 software update?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone know if there is an software update available in Nov 2019?
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gone
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars) gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2005 and 2006 Prius both gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      1999 Lexus GS400 Exhaust, Intake, ECU Chipped gone
      1991 NSX Exhaust gone after 5 years
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It is, but keep in mind they’ll charge you for it. If you’re in NYC area Volvo of Huntington is having it as a complimentary thou.

Volvo for Life

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      Anyone know if there is an software update available in Nov 2019?
      Don’t know, but should be close if it applies to earlier model years for SPA.

This week, Nov. 4th, is Week 45 according to most calendars. Mid-year model upgrade usually occurs around Week 46 to Week 48. This, software updates seem to roll-out +/- the same time.

I have scheduled service for this Tuesday. I will post if I “notice” anything new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bunnny View Post
      It is, but keep in mind they’ll charge you for it. If you’re in NYC area Volvo of Huntington is having it as a complimentary thou.

Volvo for Life
      I don't know where you got your information from. The last update listed in the Volvo website is on October 2019. Do you have any reference?

Do you have any information on what was updated on Oct 2019. The latest info I can find is Spring 2018?
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

What's in it?

Wife's XC90 will be getting a 30k service soon, will likely update to latest SW regardless of the cost since it's likely our very last dealer visit.
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

From what I've seen, the November bi-annual "major" update has not been released yet.

Do you have any information on what was updated on Oct 2019. The latest info I can find is Spring 2018?
      October update was inclusive of:

Updates from and including October 2019
      -Applies to Europe and China from and including model year 2018, not XC40, as well as the XC40 model year 2019: Improvement of engine management system optimisation.
      -Applies to the S90, V90, S60, V60 from and including model year 2019, as well as the XC90, XC60, XC40 from and including model year 2018: Improvement of transmission system optimisation.

All update info is published here:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ftware-updates

My dealer installed at my 30k service yesterday for free. I do have polestar, and instead of Dynamic on the instrument cluster it now says Polestar when switched to Dynamic mode. A few other changes also I've noticed.
      2018 XC90 T5 AWD RD P* Convenience, Protection, Heated seats/wheel, 22"s, Carbon Fiber, B&W

This thread includes users/information from North America, Europe and Asia (Australia) so none of this information applies to all. I'm from NA and as far as I know the next update in NA is expected in late November and isn't available yet. I believe that the NA May update already included many of the updates included in the October UK update linked (at least based on the general descriptions provided). I'm just guessing but I expect almost all future updates will include continued transmission and engine management 'optimization' (tweaks) and anything they can do to speed up Sensus - since these are never ending tasks of minor refinement. Also, I hope that the auto pilot algorithms will continue to be improved. However, I'm not expecting much in terms of new functionality. With new electric versions on the horizon I suspect we'll be left with minor updates as Volvo focuses development on the new vs legacy (SPA) platforms. Some new apps would be nice but again as Volvo moves to native Android we're going to be left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      October update was inclusive of:

Updates from and including October 2019
      -Applies to Europe and China from and including model year 2018, not XC40, as well as the XC40 model year 2019: Improvement of engine management system optimisation.
      -Applies to the S90, V90, S60, V60 from and including model year 2019, as well as the XC90, XC60, XC40 from and including model year 2018: Improvement of transmission system optimisation.

All update info is published here:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ftware-updates
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Following. Can anyone confirm whether they received the Nov update? Based on the map/voice control sticky thread, it appears it was released (references Nov 4 update).

I have a service appt scheduled for Nov 18 and I'm hoping I can get the latest update for my one post-warranty SW update through 2020.

I can confirm the November update is still not out.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorVolvo View Post
      Following. Can anyone confirm whether they received the Nov update? Based on the map/voice control sticky thread, it appears it was released (references Nov 4 update).

I have a service appt scheduled for Nov 18 and I'm hoping I can get the latest update for my one post-warranty SW update through 2020.
      Not yet.

The “November update” is a bit of a misnomer. It is commonly known as the semi-annual update. It is typically released in May and November (in the US anyway).

The update would usually update the Sensus Infotainment and driver support features and functions.

I suspect that more updates are being baked into the periodic TSU / Service 2.0.

Regardless, your timing is pretty good - Week 47 2019. Mine will be Week 46 if that is any consolation.

2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Question Polestar Engineered drive mode on 2018 XC60 With May Update.

Hi,

I am trying to find some information about the polestar engineered drive mode. I have bought a 2018 Volvo XC60 on Nov 8th and have the dealer install Polestar optimization on the same day. As per the discussions I see that the May Update brings the Polestar Engineered drive mode replacing the Dynamic drive mode if the polestar optimization is installed. But I see no change in the drive mode on the drive modes. What am I missing here.

Thanks
      Sujith G

Quote Originally Posted by sujithg9 View Post
      Hi,

I am trying to find some information about the polestar engineered drive mode. I have bought a 2018 Volvo XC60 on Nov 8th and have the dealer install Polestar optimization on the same day. As per the discussions I see that the May Update brings the Polestar Engineered drive mode replacing the Dynamic drive mode if the polestar optimization is installed. But I see no change in the drive mode on the drive modes. What am I missing here.

Thanks
      Sujith G
      Just means the dealer didn't update the car, or didn't install Polestar. But I'm going to go with that it's that they didn't update the main software suite at the same time.

who really cares anymore. The stipulations to get Service 2.0 are so many and varied the chances are high that you aren't getting it for free.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

During a factory scheduled maintenance is hardly so many stipulations.

And they have to have volvo wifi...my deadbeat dealer doesnt. I dont think the other outfit in the state does either.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      If you drive 25k miles a year, a software update would be included on your first service but not the second. So yes, there are more stipulations than 'during a factory scheduled maintenance',

So if I get a software update at my 40k service this month, I can get a software update at my 50k service next September?

I asked this earlier in the thread but why would whether a dealer has Volvo Wifi be a factor in whether a customer gets the free updates they were promised or not?! Does this mean that the update can be done without the car using up a bay so the dealers capacity for higher paying jobs isn't impacted? If that is the case, once again I dont see why Volvo's/dealers inadequacy should impact a customer's level of service. In any case wouldn't a wired internet connection be more reliable/faster? Volvo shouldn't be letting its internal problems (like how techs are paid or whether dealers have wifi) impact customer service. Shows that Volvo fundamentally doesnt understands the concept of superior customer service. If Volvo wants to be a luxury car brand they need to improve these aspects of the ownership experience. Other than that 'Volvo for ever!'..

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post
      I asked this earlier in the thread but why would whether a dealer has Volvo Wifi be a factor in whether a customer gets the free updates they were promised or not?! Does this mean that the update can be done without the car using up a bay so the dealers capacity for higher paying jobs isn't impacted? If that is the case, once again I dont see why Volvo's/dealers inadequacy should impact a customer's level of service. In any case wouldn't a wired internet connection be more reliable/faster? Volvo shouldn't be letting its internal problems (like how techs are paid or whether dealers have wifi) impact customer service. Shows that Volvo fundamentally doesnt understands the concept of superior customer service. If Volvo wants to be a luxury car brand they need to improve these aspects of the ownership experience. Other than that 'Volvo for ever!'..

It's not a factor in whether the customer gets free updates, that's determined by the dealer. It's whether Volvo will reimburse the dealer for the time. Volvo is basically trying to incentivize dealers to make the necessary changes to support WiFi VIDA.

So currently, any dealer that does not have WiFi VIDA, but is still offering free software upgrades is out of pocket for the labor cost. It doesn't take a whole lot of math/accounting skill for a dealer to figure out that it's cheaper to invest in WiFi VIDA than to continue to pay out of pocket on labor.

Quote Originally Posted by omgbots View Post
      If you drive 25k miles a year, a software update would be included on your first service but not the second. So yes, there are more stipulations than 'during a factory scheduled maintenance',
      Quote Originally Posted by omgbots View Post
      So if I get a software update at my 40k service this month, I can get a software update at my 50k service next September?
      As much as I suspect you signed up to simply troll this thread and make a big deal over nothing, I'll reply anyway.

The software is billable to warranty once between November 1, 2019 and December 31, 2020 when performing a factory scheduled maintenance. Several members had reported that their dealers were still offering the update for free, even when Volvo was not reimbursing them. So they may continue to do so.

We still need to have a battery charger on the car to do a download over VIDA WiFi. Most dealers don't have places in the parking lot to do such a thing. Even if they did, it still takes the time of someone to hook up the charger, do the download and remove the charger. When it is in for a service, I just start the download right away and let it run while I do the service.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      It's not a factor in whether the customer gets free updates, that's determined by the dealer. It's whether Volvo will reimburse the dealer for the time. Volvo is basically trying to incentivize dealers to make the necessary changes to support WiFi VIDA.

So currently, any dealer that does not have WiFi VIDA, but is still offering free software upgrades is out of pocket for the labor cost. It doesn't take a whole lot of math/accounting skill for a dealer to figure out that it's cheaper to invest in WiFi VIDA than to continue to pay out of pocket on labor.
      Exactly. I'm fairly sure all dealers are required to have VIDA WiFi by a certain date (I do not know the date). This just lights a fire under their ass, hopefully. It was also likely due to a combination of customers wanting what they were told and techs wanting to be paid to provide that. We will see what comes of it as the 12/31/20 expiration approaches.

I understand that Volvo is trying to incent dealers to get VIDA Wifi but why do they have to do it by not paying a dealer to do something that has been committed to a customer. This means that dealers who are counting pennies (likely the ones without VIDA Wifi?) are the ones who will try and charge for/not do the upgrade that customers deserve. My only point is this condition on dealer reimbursement has the possibility of reducing customer satisfaction and therefore should not be used by Volvo as a tool to influence a dealer to do something. The whole manufacturer/dealer model is broken (not just Volvo) and hence why companies like Tesla are trying to break that mold (with all of the resulting outcry from various parties)

As much as I suspect you signed up to simply troll this thread and make a big deal over nothing, I'll reply anyway.

The software is billable to warranty once between November 1, 2019 and December 31, 2020 when performing a factory scheduled maintenance. Several members had reported that their dealers were still offering the update for free, even when Volvo was not reimbursing them. So they may continue to do so.

We still need to have a battery charger on the car to do a download over VIDA WiFi. Most dealers don't have places in the parking lot to do such a thing. Even if they did, it still takes the time of someone to hook up the charger, do the download and remove the charger. When it is in for a service, I just start the download right away and let it run while I do the service.

Exactly. I'm fairly sure all dealers are required to have VIDA WiFi by a certain date (I do not know the date). This just lights a fire under their ass, hopefully. It was also likely due to a combination of customers wanting what they were told and techs wanting to be paid to provide that. We will see what comes of it as the 12/31/20 expiration approaches.

I understand that Volvo is trying to incent dealers to get VIDA Wifi but why do they have to do it by not paying a dealer to do something that has been committed to a customer. This means that dealers who are counting pennies (likely the ones without VIDA Wifi?) are the ones who will try and charge for/not do the upgrade that customers deserve. My only point is this condition on dealer reimbursement has the possibility of reducing customer satisfaction and therefore should not be used by Volvo as a tool to influence a dealer to do something. The whole manufacturer/dealer model is broken (not just Volvo) and hence why companies like Tesla are trying to break that mold (with all of the resulting outcry from various parties)

I totally agree with you and wish I had an answer.

I just don't understand why a dealership would not have VIDA WiFi capability. I mean I have it, at least on a minimum 3 day basis. I would think that a yearly contract subscription would be the minimum requirement just to be a dealer. How can you do anything with todays newer Volvos without access to VIDA? So as I understand there are dealers who do not have this capability? You almost have to have internet, right? And going from an ethernet connection to WiFi is really cheap. I must be missing something simple????? By the way I connected and the update was pretty small at 9 megs. I was aware that the Nov update had yet to be loaded.
      Last edited by drmanny3; 11-19-2019 at 11:07 AM.
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone

If you arent a dealer you dont have the volvo wifi setup. It's a specially authenticated AP that the cars will automatically connect to when they roll in

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Awaiting Approval
      This feels like a US thing. My dealer does not have "vida wifi" and updates are free for life.

Can someone enlighten me what this Sensus 2.0 update is? Google has basically nothing new, only mentions of it back in 2017. My dealer mentioned they couldn't do the latest 2.0 update because they aren't WiFi equipped. Wondering if it's worth going to a different dealer to get the update?

Quote Originally Posted by 392DCGC View Post
      Can someone enlighten me what this Sensus 2.0 update is? Google has basically nothing new, only mentions of it back in 2017. My dealer mentioned they couldn't do the latest 2.0 update because they aren't WiFi equipped. Wondering if it's worth going to a different dealer to get the update?
      The short version: it's an update package that updates all modules in the car that have updates available at the time of the download.

I explain it in more detail in one of the threads about it here.

The short version: it's an update package that updates all modules in the car that have updates available at the time of the download.

Any idea on what is involved in achieving a Volvo WiFi setup? Is this not an ability to pick up on the telematics of each current generation Volvo? I would think this would allow the dealership to populate their screens with the information coming from the car's telematic (att) system. I would not think this to be very expensive? Our cars as well as most newer vehicles transmit information that can be accessed if you have the right equipment. We are not talking many thousands?
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone

Any idea on what is involved in achieving a Volvo WiFi setup? Is this not an ability to pick up on the telematics of each current generation Volvo? I would think this would allow the dealership to populate their screens with the information coming from the car's telematic (att) system. I would not think this to be very expensive? Our cars as well as most newer vehicles transmit information that can be accessed if you have the right equipment. We are not talking many thousands?
      I don't know a lot about it. Our IT guys handled it. Cost depends on the dealer, since coverage needs to encompass the service drive and shop and in our case, the parking lot (though I don't know if that is mandated).

Quote Originally Posted by 392DCGC View Post
      Sensus 2.0 was a Sensus upgrade in May 2017 - mostly for SPA MY16s I.e., XC90.

Sensus 2.0 is NOT to be confused with Service 2.0. Service 2.0 is the set of periodic and incremental software updates. Service 2.0 is the equivalent to TSU (Total Software Update) where the latter is coded as warranty.

My intent is to clarify that Sensus 1.0 only exist on the SPA MY16 XC90 and maybe the MY17 S/V90, but those should have been updated long long ago. Sensus 2.0 is standard, except that the new Google Android-based Sensus is the new generation which is beginning to be rolled out on select MY20 models and thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnny View Post

Volvo for Life
      I wish someone could succinctly explain the rationale for Volvo doing this? It seems wholly unfair and offensive to a customer.

I liken it to Volvo saying: "Hey, you want the update to fix what we sold you but did not get right? Ok, pay me ... again."
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

It’s end of November. Is it available or not? Anyone?

Volvo for Life

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast