Polestar best 19 inch tire size? Tirerack says 245/40 R19. Polestar Rep says (for winter tires) 235/40-R19
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 25 of 25
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      208

      Question Polestar best 19 inch tire size? Tirerack says 245/40 R19. Polestar Rep says (for winter tires) 235/40-R19

      If I decided to get 19 inch (OEM Polestar) wheels for my 2018 S60 Polestar and want the closest 19" tire size to the OEM 20 inch setup:

      I see the tirerack size 245/40-R19 is closer (negligeable 0.13% speedo error) than the Polestar rep size (235/40-R19) which has 1.33% speed error. Neither has any poke or inset issues.

      I assume the Polestar rep was responding based on available sizes for 'winter performance' tires for the 19 inch (winter) rims and hence did not suggest the closer 245/40/R19?
      Any reason to get Polestar rep's (winter) size 235/40-R19 instead of Tirerack recommended 245/40-R19 size given OEM 245/35-20 size, assuming I am getting UHP all season tires (and not winter tires) for argument's sake. (edited message due to size typo - I flipped the two sizes in this particular sentence by mistake).

      Tirerack 19 inch tire size
      https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...h=8&offset2=53

      Polestar Rep 19 inch tire size when asked for 19" winter tires (for 19 inch OEM rims):
      https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...h=8&offset2=53

      Used ET53 offset and 8 inch rim width.
      Last edited by njdriver; 11-03-2019 at 01:05 PM.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Posts
      4
      Just put 235 on mine. Your speedo calculation means 235 would be 0.9MPH out at 60MPH not exactly massive. Standard Volvo 19" wheels are ET51 not 53

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      208
      Quote Originally Posted by The Flute View Post
      Just put 235 on mine. Your speedo calculation means 235 would be 0.9MPH out at 60MPH not exactly massive. Standard Volvo 19" wheels are ET51 not 53
      Thanks. Right the speedo error is not a huge deal. The bigger question I have is whether there is any reason to get 19 inch tires in 235 vs 245, if the 245 size is available?

      I thought I recalled it being ET51 as well, but the following pages both say ET53? Maybe an error...
      One is for the 2015-2016 19 inch Polestar winter wheels and the other is for the 2018 20 inch Polestar wheels.
      https://www.vivaperformance.com/genu...15-2016-years/
      https://www.vivaperformance.com/genu...eel-2018-year/
      Last edited by njdriver; 11-03-2019 at 01:29 PM.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Posts
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by njdriver View Post
      Thanks. Right the speedo error is not a huge deal. The bigger question I have is whether there is any reason to get 19 inch tires in 235 vs 245, if the 245 size is available?

      I thought I recalled it being ET51 as well, but the following pages both say ET53? Maybe an error...
      One is for the 2015-2016 19 inch Polestar winter wheels and the other is for the 2018 20 inch Polestar wheels.
      https://www.vivaperformance.com/genu...15-2016-years/
      https://www.vivaperformance.com/genu...eel-2018-year/
      Yeah but have a look here and blow up the picture of the Volvo box. https://www.vivaperformance.com/genu...15-2016-years/

    7. #5
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      10,743
      You'd probably be fine with either 235 or 245 if you are getting Polestar wheels, which have a higher offset than most of the aftermarket wheels. I don't know why Tirerack is now recommending the 245 and lists 235 as the alternate size - that's new. When I bought my winter set from them almost 4 years ago 235 was the only size they recommended for the car, and with +45 offset wheels I get slight rub. I kid you not, 235 width tires vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, tire to tire.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      208
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      You'd probably be fine with either 235 or 245 if you are getting Polestar wheels, which have a higher offset than most of the aftermarket wheels. I don't know why Tirerack is now recommending the 245 and lists 235 as the alternate size - that's new. When I bought my winter set from them almost 4 years ago 235 was the only size they recommended for the car, and with +45 offset wheels I get slight rub. I kid you not, 235 width tires vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, tire to tire.
      Thanks, that helps regarding rubbing with +45 offset wheels!

      Tirerack lists 245/35-20 Load Class: XL on the 'Factory Tire Size' (main tab).

      On the second tab, labeled 'Optional Tire Sizes', Tirerrack lists 19" 245/40-19. Tirerack does not list 235 as "alternate size" for 19".
      Polestar rep suggests 235 for 19" though.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

    9. #7
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      10,743
      Quote Originally Posted by njdriver View Post
      Thanks, that helps regarding rubbing with +45 offset wheels!

      Tirerack lists 245/35-20 Load Class: XL on the 'Factory Tire Size' (main tab).

      On the second tab, labeled 'Optional Tire Sizes', Tirerrack lists 19" 245/40-19. Tirerack does not list 235 as "alternate size" for 19".
      Polestar rep suggests 235 for 19" though.
      It does when you look specifically at winter tires.

      https://www.tirerack.com/snow/Select...al+Valve+Stems
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      208
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      It does when you look specifically at winter tires.

      https://www.tirerack.com/snow/Select...al+Valve+Stems
      Interesting, thanks! Wonder if the 235 is in case there are no options in 245 in winter tires.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

    11. #9
      Senior Member Johann's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Netherlands
      Posts
      10,097
      235/40-19 on the OEM Polestar 19" wheels.
      '17 Volvo S60 Polestar '15 XC60T5 Polestarised

    12. #10
      Member TexasV60P's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      2,333
      Quote Originally Posted by njdriver View Post
      If I decided to get 19 inch (OEM Polestar) wheels for my 2018 S60 Polestar and want the closest 19" tire size to the OEM 20 inch setup:

      I see the tirerack size 245/40-R19 is closer (negligeable 0.13% speedo error) than the Polestar rep size (235/40-R19) which has 1.33% speed error. Neither has any poke or inset issues.

      I assume the Polestar rep was responding based on available sizes for 'winter performance' tires for the 19 inch (winter) rims and hence did not suggest the closer 245/40/R19?
      Any reason to get Polestar rep's (winter) size 235/40-R19 instead of Tirerack recommended 245/40-R19 size given OEM 245/35-20 size, assuming I am getting UHP all season tires (and not winter tires) for argument's sake. (edited message due to size typo - I flipped the two sizes in this particular sentence by mistake).

      Tirerack 19 inch tire size
      https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...h=8&offset2=53

      Polestar Rep 19 inch tire size when asked for 19" winter tires (for 19 inch OEM rims):
      https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...h=8&offset2=53

      Used ET53 offset and 8 inch rim width.
      This combination came from Tirerack:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...UPERTURISMO-LM
      2015.5 #39 BSM V60 Polestar arrived 11-24-2014
      2004 V70R GT: SOLD Silver+Nordkap, Premium Sound+Subwoofer, Motorola BT, iMIV, IPD Stage II - DP - HDTCV, Kelly CAI, BMC, 10MM Spacers, Volvo DEM heat shield, '06 V70R console

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      208
      Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
      235/40-19 on the OEM Polestar 19" wheels.
      Thanks Johan!
      What is the downside of the 245/40-R19 (vs. 235/40-R19) on the stock Polestar winter wheels (19"x8")?

      (I am asking since ideally I had been thinking of a wider tire width - e.g 245 - for [added] rim protection, but maybe that does not apply in this situation given 8 inch width for the OEM 19" winter rim, maybe 235 is also fine).
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

    14. #12
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      10,743
      When we were buying these sets several years ago now at this point we just followed the owner's manual which recommends 235's for winter I think, plus a narrower tire provides better bite in slippery conditions.

      I may be going to 225/45 when I replace the ones I currently have.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      208
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      When we were buying these sets several years ago now at this point we just followed the owner's manual which recommends 235's for winter I think, plus a narrower tire provides better bite in slippery conditions.

      I may be going to 225/45 when I replace the ones I currently have.
      Thanks.
      Right, the narrower tires are definitely a bit better in snow. I would like to see if the tire protects the rim when going with 235.
      My old R-Design had the 18 inch Ixion rims and the rim (width section) protruded beyond the tire width; therefore when parallel parking or encountering potholes, it was easier to get curb rash.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      208
      Okay, never easy:
      Been reading that the Alpin PA4 (which I had on my last car as well) is better in snow than the Pirelli SottoZero 3. Unfortunately the only PA4 listed on tirerack in 235/40-R19 size, labeled 'Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec', does not seem to have an XL load rating (Size: 235/40R19 92V, N0(Porsche), Style: Blackwall, Eco Focus: Green X, Serv. Desc: 92V).

      Further to the concern regarding lack of XL load for the PA4 in 235/40-R19 size (noted above), I also noticed the brand new and improved Alpin PA5 is available in 245/40-R19 size but not in 235/40-R19...

      Given all of the above, it would be appreciated if anyone can confirm that the wider 245/40-R19 will not cause any rubbing or other fitment issues (vs 235/40-R19) with the Volvo OEM Polestar 19" winter rims.
      If there are no fitment issues, I might go with the brand new PA5 in that size (245/40-R19), but happy to get feedback / suggestions to the contrary from others.


      (Edited to correct typos).
      Last edited by njdriver; 11-05-2019 at 05:06 PM.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

    17. #15
      Junior Member mtnpolestar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      Colorado Mtns
      Posts
      488
      The 245 tire will be .3" wider than the 235 tire...if that helps. Here is a great comparison configurator to compare wheel/tire sizes. Guessing that the P* 19" winter wheel has an ET55 (offset).

      https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

      Screenshot (424).jpg

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Location
      St Albert
      Posts
      278

      Polestar best 19 inch tire size? Tirerack says 245/40 R19. Polestar Rep says (for winter tires) 235/40-R19

      Iím running the Michelin pilot PA4 in 235/40/19 on stock Rdesign wheels with 15mm spacers all around and I get 0 rubbing if that helps. I also talked to tire rack regarding the load rating of the tires and was told that the rating is fine for our cars even though the tire isnít an XL.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by limey; 11-06-2019 at 12:01 AM.

    19. #17
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      10,743
      Pretty sure the Ohlins suspension lowers the car a bit so not exactly apples to apples.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Location
      St Albert
      Posts
      278
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Pretty sure the Ohlins suspension lowers the car a bit so not exactly apples to apples.
      Lol my car is lower than a polestar. I have the H&R lowering springs on it. Springs are just really dirty


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    21. #19
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      10,743
      Quote Originally Posted by mtnpolestar View Post
      The 245 tire will be .3" wider than the 235 tire...if that helps. Here is a great comparison configurator to compare wheel/tire sizes. Guessing that the P* 19" winter wheel has an ET55 (offset).
      The offset is 51 on those wheels.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    22. #20
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      208
      Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
      Iím running the Michelin pilot PA4 in 235/40/19 on stock Rdesign wheels with 15mm spacers all around and I get 0 rubbing if that helps. I also talked to tire rack regarding the load rating of the tires and was told that the rating is fine for our cars even though the tire isnít an XL.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Thanks everyone!

      Question regarding the quoted post: Did tirerack happen to mention if the sidewall of the Alpin PA4 235/40-R19 (version without XL rating) is reinforced?
      And to confirm, you bought this particular 'N Spec' one? I mean the only PA4 listed on tirerack in 235/40-R19 size is labeled 'Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec' as noted in an earlier post. N0(Porsche) Style: Blackwall, Eco Focus: Green X, Serv. Desc: 92V
      Last edited by njdriver; 11-06-2019 at 11:45 AM.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Location
      St Albert
      Posts
      278
      Quote Originally Posted by njdriver View Post
      Thanks everyone!

      Question regarding the quoted post: Did tirerack happen to mention if the sidewall of the Alpin PA4 235/40-R19 (version without XL rating) is reinforced?
      And to confirm, you bought this particular 'N Spec' one? I mean the only PA4 listed on tirerack in 235/40-R19 size is labeled 'Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec' as noted in an earlier post. N0(Porsche) Style: Blackwall, Eco Focus: Green X, Serv. Desc: 92V
      They did not mention that it was reinforced. But to be fair I didnít ask. I only asked if the N spec 92V would work on my V60 and they said yes it will work.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    24. #22
      Junior Member mtnpolestar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      Colorado Mtns
      Posts
      488
      Question regarding the quoted post: Did tirerack happen to mention if the sidewall of the Alpin PA4 235/40-R19 (version without XL rating) is reinforced?
      And to confirm, you bought this particular 'N Spec' one? I mean the only PA4 listed on tirerack in 235/40-R19 size is labeled 'Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec' as noted in an earlier post. N0(Porsche) Style: Blackwall, Eco Focus: Green X, Serv. Desc: 92V[/QUOTE]

      I've been running this exact N-Spec PA4 for 3 seasons without any issues... Glad to hear Tire Rack said the 92 load rating is OK for our cars. I worked out the weight math on it and did not see that it
      should be an issue as long as I did not use them for towing or really heavy weight in the car or super aggressive driving/track (but who'd do that with winter tires....).

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      208
      Quote Originally Posted by mtnpolestar View Post
      I've been running this exact N-Spec PA4 for 3 seasons without any issues... Glad to hear Tire Rack said the 92 load rating is OK for our cars. I worked out the weight math on it and did not see that it
      should be an issue as long as I did not use them for towing or really heavy weight in the car or super aggressive driving/track (but who'd do that with winter tires....).

      Great, thanks, so then the PA4 are definitely in the running. Which rims are you using?
      Too bad tirerack doesn't have rims with a 51 ET offset (think the closest they have is still ET45 which concerns me due to potential rubbing depending on the tire).

      Tirerack chat reply (in italics) about any other options since their rims are not ET51 and their suggested package of 245/40R19 Sottozero 3 tires and 19x8 rims (which states "modifications to rear fender lip may be needed"):
      Yeah it's a tight fit for that car and 19x8 45mm offset is the least aggressive fit. Only way to guarantee you wouldn't have rubbing concerns is to pair the 19x8 45mm offset wheels with a set of 225/45/19 sized winter tires.
      6:50pm
      doing the 225mm width tires instead of 245 would eliminate that concern,
      Last edited by njdriver; 11-06-2019 at 07:31 PM.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

    26. #24
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      10,743
      Tirerack did have 48 offset wheels for a short time but I didn't get them for some reason, maybe I didn't like the design, I really don't remember.

      Other swedespeeders have gotten creative and found other solutions if you want to page through the winter tire thread. All of our set-ups are on there.

      My issue is that just by dumb luck I bought what is probably the widest of all 235 width tires. It's pretty striking if you care to dig into the individual specs for each tire on the Tirerack website. When I looked later I noticed that some of the other 235 width tires had a tread that was literally an inch or so narrower than the ones I chose - oh well. I don't think I had any instances of rubbing last year on season 3 with them as they've worn a bit (it was that close) so I don't anticipate it either this season.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    27. #25
      Junior Member mtnpolestar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      Colorado Mtns
      Posts
      488
      Here is my winter setup with the PA4s. Wheels are ET45 Advanti DST Hybris 19" x 8.5" wheels. 235/40 tires and I used a Dremmel to grind off 1-2 mm of the inside lip, no rubbing.

      20191107_093741_resized.jpg

    28. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. 2016 momentum 255-50 19 inch vs 235-55-19 inch
      By Highpowerdad in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-17-2018, 12:27 PM
    2. FS 19" Bor Diamond Cut alloy wheels with 235 40 R19 pirelli C7
      By MRCW in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 05-28-2018, 03:42 PM
    3. 245/40/19 or 235/40/19 on lowered v60
      By munkeeboi in forum The Wheel and Tire Forum
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 03-25-2017, 12:08 PM
    4. Tire size for 19" rim--235/40 vs 245/35?
      By teefive in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 09-05-2013, 03:39 PM
    5. WTT-245/40 18's or 235/40 18's for 225/40 18's
      By e-rock in forum Wheels & Tires Classifieds
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 04-04-2010, 02:06 PM