Who has CHAO YANG in their trunk?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 75
    1. #1
      Junior Member PSamy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Southern CT
      Posts
      48

      Who has CHAO YANG in their trunk?

      This is what came with my 2019 R-Design, I have never heard this brand before.. Hope this is reliable.


    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Posts
      630
      Hahahaha. Never thought they'd stoop this low.

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    4. #3
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      704
      FYI China has over 90 different tire brands
      Nobody can confirm the quality and usability except the Chinese
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #4
      Junior Member VolvoFanFl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Tampa Bay, FL
      Posts
      102
      I recently had GENERAL TSO in my trunk...

    7. #5
      Junior Member PSamy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Southern CT
      Posts
      48

      Wink

      , now after some research , I am convinced that I got fat bicycle tire as spare..


    8. #6
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      704
      Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      , now after some research , I am convinced that I got fat bicycle tire as spare..


      It may be a "premium" brand
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    9. #7
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      10,748
      Everybody Wang Chung Tonight!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    10. #8
      Member PureDrive07's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Location
      Colonia, NJ
      Posts
      4,582
      This is the US site for the company that owns Chaoyang tires: http://www.goodridetire.com/index.php/about

      #1 Largest Tire Manufacturer in China and #9 Globally. Volvo and Geely mentioned as partners.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black [HIS] - Platinum/Tech/Climate/19" IxionII, Polestar Winglets, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Sway Bar, 15mm Spacers and KN Filter.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Crystal White/Charcoal [HERS] - Nappa Leather w/Massage/Advanced/Heated Steering & Rear Seats/Sport Steering Wheel & Charcoal Headliner/20" Wheels
      ​Past: 1994 940Turbo/2004 S40LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda 3/2012 S60RD/2013 S60T5AWD/2016 XC60T6AWD

    11. #9
      Quote Originally Posted by dealcatcher View Post
      Hahahaha. Never thought they'd stoop this low.

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      Not making space for an (optional) full size spare is stooping lower - much lower.
      Space saving tires are just a joke on consumers generally.
      More expensive to replace and outright dangerous. Not even close to being the same diameter.

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Northeast USA
      Posts
      286
      Whatís the Tire Review on that tire? Just kidding.

      Thatís pretty bad that theyíre putting some cheap no-name tire in the trunk.

      Wait now for the Volvo dealer braintrust to jump this thread and spin it somehow that the tire is terrific and somehow benefits everybody, including a cure for global warming. Wait for it....

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      7
      Iíve used a space saver once in the last 10 years, as long it works does it really matter?

    14. #12
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      704
      https://www.marketresearchreports.co...turers-revenue

      It doesn't matter if they are the largest in China or not, the quality of these tires is much more important
      You can find lots of Chinese tires that look like Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop ..... but what matters is the quality, let the tests give you a rating

      There are also quality tires from China, but they are not much cheaper than European or American brands (10-25 %)

      A lot of Chinese manufacturers are developing a lot of different brand names for almost the same tires. One of these big manufacturers from china are Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company. They are selling a lot of cheaper tires without good safety-checks or tests before they leave the factory.

      Here is a list of some of the brands they sell:

      Chaoyang
      Goodride
      Westlake
      AKS Tires
      Telluride
      Compass Tires

      Therefore, itís strongly recommended to not purchase any of these tires.


      https://mechanicbase.com/tires/tire-...id-purchasing/


      Thanks Volvo for premium brand spare tyre

      And especially for the look of the space, at least you could use something to cover the metal and wires
      This is how they do it right the premium company
      UPSSS is not visible, so it doesn't matter, and of course it costs $10-15





      This is how look of where is spare wheel in the premium class Of course it is the spare wheel of a proven company

      Last edited by BigBang; 11-04-2019 at 02:51 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    15. #13
      Junior Member PSamy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Southern CT
      Posts
      48
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      https://www.marketresearchreports.co...turers-revenue

      It doesn't matter if they are the largest in China or not, the quality of these tires is much more important
      You can find lots of Chinese tires that look like Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop ..... but what matters is the quality, let the tests give you a rating

      There are also quality tires from China, but they are not much cheaper than European or American brands (10-25 %)




      Here is a list of some of the brands they sell:

      Chaoyang
      Goodride
      Westlake
      AKS Tires
      Telluride
      Compass Tires

      Therefore, itís strongly recommended to not purchase any of these tires.


      https://mechanicbase.com/tires/tire-...id-purchasing/


      Thanks Volvo for premium brand spare tyre

      And especially for the look of the space, at least you could use something to cover the metal and wires
      This is how they do it right the premium company
      UPSSS is not visible, so it doesn't matter, and of course it costs $10-15





      This is how look of where is spare wheel in the premium class Of course it is the spare wheel of a proven company


      I completely agree ! , Based on my VIN, it's made in China, Hope Geely has not substituted many critical parts from China. I am not saying all chinese made are crap ( We own few Apple products) but worried about indigenising parts without paying attention to the quality.

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      172
      My vehicle was made in Sweden but 40% of the parts are made in China. So, where it was manufactured is pretty much a noon issue. Geely is a Chinese company and they have Chinese supplier chains.

      My Euro built car does have a Chaoyang spare as well. For the one time I may use it,I couldn't care less.

      Chaoyang is a company that I'm familiar with because I'm a cycling enthusiast. They make decent products. Are their spares car tires better or worse than other companies? Honestly, I have no clue. But, I also have no clue about the spares in any of my past vehicles. I never even checked the brand.

      Non-issue.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    17. #15
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      https://www.marketresearchreports.co...turers-revenue


      This is how look of where is spare wheel in the premium class Of course it is the spare wheel of a proven company
      Dude, you really have a hard-on from bashing Volvo ? Sometimes you provide decent information, but other times you post like you are off your meds.
      Stop the crusade, take a chill pill, go for a walk or drink a cup of milk. We know you love Audi. We really got it.

      /kleks

    18. #16
      Junior Member Kranvagn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Location
      Silicon Valley, CA
      Posts
      168
      You entitled kids...complaining about your spare tire when there are some of us out here with no spare at all! ffs...

      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      172
      I didn't have a spare in my BMW. Runflats! My fellow BMW drivers hated them but I came to really like them.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    20. #18
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      704
      Quote Originally Posted by Kleks View Post
      Dude, you really have a hard-on from bashing Volvo ? Sometimes you provide decent information, but other times you post like you are off your meds.
      Stop the crusade, take a chill pill, go for a walk or drink a cup of milk. We know you love Audi. We really got it.

      /kleks
      What is the problem. For writing the truth ? Which part you don't like: for the spare tire or for the interior, which is bare metal and you can see the cables
      If you want to play in the premium class you must also offer premium quality
      I have a new job: Volvo's professional critic

      Speaking of Audi, this is a spare tire in the Audi:

      Last edited by BigBang; 11-05-2019 at 03:07 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    21. #19
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      What is the problem. For writing the truth ? Which part you don't like: for the spare tire or for the interior, which is bare metal and you can see the cables
      If you want to play in the premium class you must also offer premium quality
      I have a new job: Volvo's professional critic

      Speaking of Audi, this is a spare tire in the Audi:

      Your problem is you forgot your meds again. Your crusade is boring, your sense of humour is flat. I am really missing a "ignore this troll" button on swedespeed.

      If that is what gives you joy in your life, go ahead, be my guest. I am done - I have better things to do in my life - but I do pity you.
      HTH, HAND.

      /kleks over and off.

    22. #20
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      704
      Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      I completely agree ! , Based on my VIN, it's made in China, Hope Geely has not substituted many critical parts from China. I am not saying all chinese made are crap ( We own few Apple products) but worried about indigenising parts without paying attention to the quality.
      The big difference is what China produces under license , because cheap labor and what they produce themselves
      It is true that there are extremely high quality Chinese products, but this is a very small percentage

      Audi, BMW, Mercedes they have factories in China, but these cars are for the Chinese market only

      Engines for all Audi models worldwide come from one factory (does not include engine for R8)
      Last edited by BigBang; 11-05-2019 at 05:10 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      128
      Umm... When I had a blowout and had to drive 30 miles (rural Maine) to get to the nearest tire shop, my (Chinese made) donut spare did the trick.

      What else was it supposed to do? You drive slowly, with emergency lights on for the highway if you have to. Car felt fine and stable.

      What, is the spare tire supposed to make you breakfast in bed after or something?

      And yes, BigBang... Maybe go troll on an Audi forum instead? Really don't see the point of continuously being negative here.

      Yea, there are better cars than Volvo. I'm rather partial to the Ferrari 458 Speciale Aperta myself. Doesn't mean you need to work it into every single conversation... 😒
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

    24. #22
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      704
      Quote Originally Posted by shammyh View Post
      And yes, BigBang... Maybe go troll on an Audi forum instead? Really don't see the point of continuously being negative here.
      I'm not writing negative, just writing facts. State what is not true of what I wrote instead of writing nonsense
      When you pay for a premium brand then you expect to get it premium brand
      Of course, I have been a member of the Audi Forum for many years, and one of the esteemed members. Need something else


      Quote Originally Posted by shammyh View Post
      Yea, there are better cars than Volvo. I'm rather partial to the Ferrari 458 Speciale Aperta myself. Doesn't mean you need to work it into every single conversation...
      Who can mention Ferrari in the Volvo forum best joke

      You can compare the Audi R8 Spyder with Ferrari 458 . BMW and Mercedes have something similar Volvo never had, nor will have

      Of course there is still a lot of models from the VW group that can compare with Ferrari: Lamborghini, Porsche and incidentally to mention Bentley, Bugatti - VW group as Audi
      Last edited by BigBang; 11-05-2019 at 10:00 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    25. #23
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      40
      well..


    26. #24
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      704
      Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      well..
      Are you kidding Compare this to the R8, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Bentley, Bugatti , BMW M8 ......


      https://www.polestar.com/uk/polestar...LCJFIjpudWxsfQ

      Compare the two cars
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by BigBang; 11-05-2019 at 11:18 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      172
      To add a poster to your ignore list, you just click on the name and then you'll see am option to ignore.

      Every car forum has a nutbag who spends the entire day trying to convince enthusiasts that their choice sucks. The first car that I really loved was an Acura TSX. When the car first became available, there was a Lexus IS owner who spent hours on Acurazine rambling about how all the published 0-60 times were wrong for the TSX. I sold the Acura and then got a 3-series. On Bimmerfest, we had a troll who interupted thread after thread to tell us how his Audi was the better vehicle.

      Usually, it is all about some yahoo who bought the competitive and feels threatened that others made a different choice.

      It's basically an inevitable event on car forums. So, best to ignore.

      As for the op, I thought his past was pretty cool. I never even noticed the spare. That's good attention to detail and made me look myself.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    28. #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      To add a poster to your ignore list, you just click on the name and then you'll see am option to ignore.

      Every car forum has a nutbag who spends the entire day trying to convince enthusiasts that their choice sucks. The first car that I really loved was an Acura TSX. When the car first became available, there was a Lexus IS owner who spent hours on Acurazine rambling about how all the published 0-60 times were wrong for the TSX. I sold the Acura and then got a 3-series. On Bimmerfest, we had a troll who interupted thread after thread to tell us how his Audi was the better vehicle.

      Usually, it is all about some yahoo who bought the competitive and feels threatened that others made a different choice.

      It's basically an inevitable event on car forums. So, best to ignore.

      As for the op, I thought his past was pretty cool. I never even noticed the spare. That's good attention to detail and made me look myself.
      Thank you, done. BigNuts joined the /dev/null.

      Usually I follow the rule - do not feed trolls. In this case, I hoped that BN can see the light and trim the stupidity - but no. Oh well, he landed on ignore list. I might not be very active poster on swedespeed, but I had been here for a few more years than BN, and had seen trolls come and go.

      All the best, gang. Enjoy the bricks !
      /kleks

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      500
      Quote Originally Posted by Kranvagn View Post
      You entitled kids...complaining about your spare tire when there are some of us out here with no spare at all! ffs...

      Or some of us opted to ditch the spare entirely and go with the inflation kit and greater storage space. :P

    30. #28
      Junior Member PSamy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Southern CT
      Posts
      48

      Sorry Folks!

      My intention was not start a war by posting the question, I am new to Volvo and saw this brand of the tire for the first time. I own BMWs and a Honda currently and owned a Tesla for some time, hence I was curious to know the parts and reliability. As someone mentioned, if it gets the job done , I am good, also I am hoping that I would NEVER have to use this.

      Peace!

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      172
      You didn't start a war, PSamy. You started an interesting thread. No worries.

      My first thought on reading the subject line: "If you have Chao Yang in your trunk, you damn well better let him out before the authorities get involved!"
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      134
      Quote Originally Posted by Kleks View Post
      Thank you, done. BigNuts joined the /dev/null.

      Usually I follow the rule - do not feed trolls. In this case, I hoped that BN can see the light and trim the stupidity - but no. Oh well, he landed on ignore list. I might not be very active poster on swedespeed, but I had been here for a few more years than BN, and had seen trolls come and go.

      All the best, gang. Enjoy the bricks !
      /kleks
      You'd think he would get the hint when the majority of the forum has him ignored and can't stand him.

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Location
      Orlando, Fl
      Posts
      35
      Not that surprising because Volvo is a chinese company that the spare is chinese. You use the spare for 15 miles max. It should be fine for the one or two times you may need to use it. Plus you always have Volvo's tow for life. If you get a flat in the rain, I'd rather wait for the tow truck than try to inflate the spare in the rain.
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

    34. #32
      Quote Originally Posted by schmitty8225 View Post
      Not that surprising because Volvo is a chinese company that the spare is chinese. You use the spare for 15 miles max. It should be fine for the one or two times you may need to use it. Plus you always have Volvo's tow for life. If you get a flat in the rain, I'd rather wait for the tow truck than try to inflate the spare in the rain.
      Doesn't really matter if its a chinese tyre or a clearly more special one from a four-ring skoda .......... they are a dangerous compromise, hideously overpriced and, when used, result in you carrying a large unrestrained projectile in the rear (albeit at <50 being tailgated in the slow lane)!

      "The death of two men in a car crash in Merrylands at the weekend has put the spotlight on the suitability of spacesaver spare tyres. Photos of the wrecked car show that it was equipped with a temporary spare and that the tyre had peeled off the rim."

      "Research by the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria last year found that a car's braking distance increases by up to 15 metres at 80kmh in dry conditions when a temporary spare tyre is fitted. The test also found that, when cornering, spacesaver tyres lose grip at much lower speeds than regular tyres."

      "Ernest Litera, a vehicle engineer with the RACV, last year tested spacesaver spares on a number of top-selling models on a closed circuit in controlled conditions. In one test a car "blew a tyre and slid off the road".

      Yes they may suit some applications, but it is unconscionable that provision is not made for full size wheel in medium to large vehicles where space is available and its trivial issue at the design stage. Everyone has there own perspective and I know its seen as a non-issue by 99%, but it is a concern in some markets.
      Last edited by pauljloz; 11-06-2019 at 03:17 AM.

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      172
      Actually, I think spares of any kind are going the way if the dodo bird. Runflats are no longer the compromise they used to be. BMW and M-B both still vehicles with no spare and no wheel well as a result.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    36. #34
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      704
      I didn't know that Volvo car owners were so attached to their cars. It is nevertheless a set of metals, plastics, rubber and leather
      I'm just writing the facts and bad experiences I've had with my XC60, and if it bothers anyone, it's his problem

      These are simple things that do not belong in the premium car class.


      What I experienced with my XC60 I don't want any Volvo owner to experience
      Because of the idiotic software problem that has been known for over a year, I put my family into a dangerous situation
      THANKS VOLVO FOR THIS
      Last edited by BigBang; 11-06-2019 at 11:51 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    37. #35
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      704
      Quote Originally Posted by Kleks View Post
      Thank you, done. BigNuts joined the /dev/null.

      Usually I follow the rule - do not feed trolls. In this case, I hoped that BN can see the light and trim the stupidity - but no. Oh well, he landed on ignore list. I might not be very active poster on swedespeed, but I had been here for a few more years than BN, and had seen trolls come and go.

      All the best, gang. Enjoy the bricks !
      /kleks


      Quote Originally Posted by kmazz View Post
      You'd think he would get the hint when the majority of the forum has him ignored and can't stand him.
      I just laugh at you and similar people in the forum
      My 27 posts I started in this forum have ONLY 38,754 views, thanks for ignoring individuals

      I love it when people put me on the ignore list

      Enjoy life and don't get nervous, the internet is a virtual world
      Last edited by BigBang; 11-06-2019 at 09:24 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Anyone debadge their car and want to get rid of their badges?
      By don.miller in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 08-01-2010, 12:40 PM
    2. Yang hits Woods!
      By gdill2 in forum Off Topic Forum
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM
    3. Replies: 2
      Last Post: 07-26-2007, 11:40 AM
    4. 1998 volvo c70 problems up the yin yang!!!!
      By paolina in forum General Volvo Discussions
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 08-11-2003, 06:58 AM
    5. 1998 volvo c70 problems up the yin yang!!!!
      By paolina in forum C70 (1998-2004)
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 08-06-2003, 06:28 PM