2011 S60 T6 keyless doors don't work after replacing the cabin filter?!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2011 S60 T6 keyless doors don't work after replacing the cabin filter?!

By keyless I mean that the doors won't lock by touching the door handle and when locked, don't open by grabbing the door handle. The car can be locked and unlocked using the key fob. All the doors are affected. Previous issues I did have with the keyless system is when one door would not work as intended, this is the first time all doors are inoperative when using the door handle to lock or unlock.

Last week I took the car out of storage to get it ready for winter use and everything was working fine. Today I went to change the cabin filter and afterwards went for a short drive and when I tried to lock the doors as usual with the door handle, no success. I took out the fob out of my jacket and tried the handle again, no go. Closed the doors with the fob, upon returning to the car tried the handle, again nothing. Tried all the doors, nothing. Fob works fine. I did have to remove the fuse panel below the glove box to access the cabin filter, but I didn't touch the fuses, possibly something got disturbed? In a few days I'll look at the fuse panel, but I'm not feeling lucky that I'll find the culprit.

Just trying to see if anyone has experienced anything similar and had a good resolution...

PS, just remembered, a couple of days ago I did get a warning that the keys were outside the car when I left the car running while I ran inside the house to get something. Upon my return the warning didn't go away as I would have expected, I shut off the engine, and locked the doors (used the fob as it was in hand). Went inside and didn't give it a second thought until today.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chrisz View Post
      By keyless I mean that the doors won't lock by touching the door handle and when locked, don't open by grabbing the door handle. The car can be locked and unlocked using the key fob. All the doors are affected. Previous issues I did have with the keyless system is when one door would not work as intended, this is the first time all doors are inoperative when using the door handle to lock or unlock.

Last week I took the car out of storage to get it ready for winter use and everything was working fine. Today I went to change the cabin filter and afterwards went for a short drive and when I tried to lock the doors as usual with the door handle, no success. I took out the fob out of my jacket and tried the handle again, no go. Closed the doors with the fob, upon returning to the car tried the handle, again nothing. Tried all the doors, nothing. Fob works fine. I did have to remove the fuse panel below the glove box to access the cabin filter, but I didn't touch the fuses, possibly something got disturbed? In a few days I'll look at the fuse panel, but I'm not feeling lucky that I'll find the culprit.

Just trying to see if anyone has experienced anything similar and had a good resolution...

PS, just remembered, a couple of days ago I did get a warning that the keys were outside the car when I left the car running while I ran inside the house to get something. Upon my return the warning didn't go away as I would have expected, I shut off the engine, and locked the doors (used the fob as it was in hand). Went inside and didn't give it a second thought until today.
      Cabin filter change is probably unrelated. There's a known issue with corrosion on the door handle sensor. Why not give the search function a try?
      2017 V60 P*

Might be a silly question but have you tried to replace the batteries in the remote, or try another remote? The PCC remote has two batteries. It could be that one battery is for the remote buttons and one operates the keyless function and that one has died.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Venth, the door sensors have been replaced and the rear antenna's (wiring?) as well by the dealer (due to corrosion) about a year or so ago.

ecoDrive, I believe that the system would tell me that the batteries needed replacement, but I will try.

Thanks all.

Venth, the door sensors have been replaced and the rear antenna's (wiring?) as well by the dealer (due to corrosion) about a year or so ago.

ecoDrive, I believe that the system would tell me that the batteries needed replacement, but I will try.

Thanks all.
      Did you pay for that placement?
      2017 V60 P*

Venth, the replacement was done under the CPO warranty. I just replaced both batteries in the remote, no change. Also tried the spare remote, but no change. Will be going under the glove box to check on the fuses and for any wires that may have been damaged when I pulled out the fuse bank A to access the cabin filter.

The two fuses related to the keyless system (fuse block A, fuse #6 and #12) are fine. Back to scratching my head...

If you hold the key fob up against the leading edge of the rear door handle while attempting to lock or unlock the door does it work then? I know you've had the rear antennae fixed once, but it's possible they've gone again.

Does the trunk unlock (the trunk antenna seems to be more reliable).
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

zenmervolt, just went to the car to see which if any of your suggestions would work. Guess what, both worked. The fob against the front of the rear door and the trunk lid. Thanks!

Now to find out how to replace the antenna.

Thanks again to all for helping with the diagnosis.

zenmervolt, just went to the car to see which if any of your suggestions would work. Guess what, both worked. The fob against the front of the rear door and the trunk lid. Thanks!

Now to find out how to replace the antenna.

Thanks again to all for helping with the diagnosis.
      My car has the same issue sadly. VIDA says it's a discontinuity in the two rear door antennae, which means it's a problem with the rear door handles themselves since the antennae are built into the handles. I tried removing the handles and cleaning the contracts, but it didn't help anything.

I take it that you did price the handles?

Is there only one door antenna? Odd that if there is another on the other side of the car it would too go bad at the same time..?

Is there a possibility that the system has lost partial memory of the remotes, potential for a re-calibration?
      Last edited by chrisz; 11-05-2019 at 08:18 PM.

I take it that you did price the handles?

Is there only one door antenna? Odd that if there is another on the other side of the car it would too go bad at the same time..?

Is there a possibility that the system has lost partial memory of the remotes, potential for a re-calibration?
      There is an antenna in each rear door handle. The range is quite short (intentionally), so the passenger side antenna will not detect a key in your pocket if you're on the driver's side of the vehicle and vice versa. So test from each side of the car.

If you have VIDA, I recommend doing a scan of the KVM antennae to see if they all check out or not. That will give you a definitive fault, but at this point given that it works if you hold it against the handle I think it's a reasonable assumption that the issue is the handle(s). I did price them, but it's been a while so I don't recall exactly how much they were.

The fact that it still works for the trunk and if you hold it to the door means it has not lost memory. If it somehow got deprogrammed it would not work at all for any keyless features; you'd even need to use the slot in the dash to start the engine.
      Last edited by zenmervolt; 11-06-2019 at 01:45 AM.

It would be strange that both rear antennas opened up at the same time. The KVM is located in the right rear quarter panel if you wanted to investigate the actual module. From the schematic it looks like the front door handles have connections for antennas (that aren't used). I wonder if you could swap the rear door handle for the fronts to confirm bad antennas? I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same part number. The antenna is just a coil of wire potted in the handle. Doubtful they can be damaged. The more likely culprit is corroded contacts in the door handle connector.

Location of all keyless antennas
      Attached Images Attached Images
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

I had this same issue a short while ago with my rear door as well. I found a thread on here which showed how to remove and clean the rear door contacts. I cleaned them and then put some dialectic grease on the contact. It worked for me and was pretty straight forward and easy to do.
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

I don't have access to VIDA.

Will try the 'clean contacts' repair today on both rear door handles but am a bit skeptical it will work, but it will be another item off the table. Swapping door handles from front to back...hmm.

Success! Door finally lock/unlock with just touching the door handle.

I removed the driver side passenger door handle, took the handle apart from the cover and dried it of moisture. Sprayed the contacts with deOxit, potted the back of connector with dielectric grease, put it back together and tried the doors. All worked. Was going to do the same with the passenger side rear door handle if the driver side didn't do anything, but now no need to touch it.

My suspicion of the issue was that water got inside the handle mechanism and somehow affected the antenna performance. The contacts did look very clean, no sign of corrosion. Maybe the fix is just a fluke, but I won't be running the car through the local car wash any longer, hand washing from now on.

Good news that it worked. If you have time and are willing to do, you may want to do the other doors as well.

As for car washes...I know they are convenient and quick, but the chemicals they use will destroy your paint (over time). The easy to spot signs are that your headlights get that glazed look. It's doing that to your clear-coat was well. I purchased a foam cannon for my gas powered pressure washer and have a blast with it. Easy to use, no harmful chemicals. Lather/foam the car...use microfber mitten....rinse.
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

Success! Door finally lock/unlock with just touching the door handle.

I removed the driver side passenger door handle, took the handle apart from the cover and dried it of moisture. Sprayed the contacts with deOxit, potted the back of connector with dielectric grease, put it back together and tried the doors. All worked. Was going to do the same with the passenger side rear door handle if the driver side didn't do anything, but now no need to touch it.

My suspicion of the issue was that water got inside the handle mechanism and somehow affected the antenna performance. The contacts did look very clean, no sign of corrosion. Maybe the fix is just a fluke, but I won't be running the car through the local car wash any longer, hand washing from now on.
      Excellent!

How did you get the cover off? I only messed with the connector when I did mine; sounds like I gave up too soon!

zenmervolt, I looked at the handle for some time thinking how to remove the cover, as I was certain that the covers should be interchangeable between different car colours. Close inspection showed there were some very small witness marks between the white white cover (in my case) and the black internal part that attaches to the door (and houses the antenna). Apparently when the car was repaired previously by the dealer they used a prying tool to pry the internal back section out of the outer cover. I used a plastic trim removal tool with a fine knife edge (about 10mm long) and slowly started to pry between the two parts until a small gap appeared on one side, then started working (sliding) the tool down the length of the handle to unseat the internal piece. There is not much to see of the antenna section, the internals are sealed within two plastic covers. I looked for gaps/cracks where water may enter under high pressure, but honestly couldn't see anything obvious. There was evidence of an adhesive being used to seal the two sections together, but no visible gaps. I just used compressed air to dry the mechanism and sprayed it with deOxit, compressed air again to dry out the deOxit and put it all back together again.

Well I spoke too soon. Now the passenger side doors don't lock/unlock by using either right side door handles. Took off the rear passenger side door handle to clean, but to no avail. Both driver's side doors (still)work fine, but the passenger side (right side) doors don't. Unbelievable!

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements