Does reliable brand like Volvo needs an extended warranty?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

View Poll Results: Best extended auto warranty

Voters
    3. You may not vote on this poll
    • Endurance Auto Warranty

0 0%
    • CARCHEX

1 33.33%
    • CarShield

1 33.33%
    • Infinite Auto Protection

0 0%
    • Concord Auto Protect

0 0%
    • Complete Car Warranty

0 0%
    • Zurich Vehicle Service Contract

0 0%
    • Omega Auto Care

1 33.33%
    • AA Auto Protection

0 0%
    • America Auto Care

0 0%
    Multiple Choice Poll.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Does reliable brand like Volvo needs an extended warranty?

Hi friends,

I assume the answer to this question depends on our driving habits, age and type of car, pre-existing condition, the geographic area, as well if you're plan to put more than 100K miles, and so many other factors. I am on the market shopping for such and I was just curious about others' experience and feedback. The only benefit I think, I'm suppose to be getting is the ability to wrap the warrantyís cost into my financing, but unless Iíve shopped in advance and negotiated a lower price for it on the spot, this route could cost me more in the long run.

Sometimes, We find ourselves struggling to figure out what the best option is, but I'm sure there's a way we can really make the decision clear. That being said, I'm eyeing Endurance Auto Warranty and since it's my first time, I'm sure, I'll have to keep in mind that no solution will cover my whole car in all events and scenarios. So, what's your story, and do you mind giving us more details, which can be really helpful to all of us to know how these companies/plans/options differ from each other to get the best coverage for our vehicles.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

1. This looks like an ad rather than a question

2. if this is a real question I woulds reply that 99% of third party auto warranty's are a terrible idea. I would do a factory warranty or service plan ONLY. I have seen a lot of third party vendors come and go
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Brown Leather, Advanced Package, Charcoal Headliner, 20" OEM Wheels, Wife's ride
      Jeep WK2 owner x 3 (2011, 2014, 2016) Great vehicles, underrated IMO
      Dodge Durango 2016 Family hauler
      First car 1987 Volvo 740 GLE 5 spd RWD, acquired at 130K

Without looking into any of them, none of the above.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Get the Volvo VIP plan. At least that way itís linked into the dealer service network and it doesnít involve as much fighting to get stuff done.

It depends on the car. If I hadnít bought the warranty for my T8 Iíd be eating a hefty bill right now. As it stands this one repair is paying for the warranty and anything else that goes wrong with the car is a benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current:
      Linnťa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

I think extended warranty is useful for cars with so many sensors and software features.

Can't imagine how much it would be to fix some simple wire harness or sensors. And aged electronics tends to have problem after several year, not immediately fail.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by specepic View Post
      1. This looks like an ad rather than a question

2. if this is a real question I woulds reply that 99% of third party auto warranty's are a terrible idea. I would do a factory warranty or service plan ONLY. I have seen a lot of third party vendors come and go
      I never intended to sound like that. Iím not affiliated nor represent and/or being paid to advertise any of the mentioned above companies. I simply wanted to get peopleís experience, their feedback and advice and nothing else. If you ask me, I really donít wanna add another bill to my wallet. I got high mileage(56K, lease ends 09/01/20) and my manufacture warranty ended last month and now Iím struggling to find a solution to lower my future out-of-pocket cost, as well pure minded intentions to learn more on how to handle the situation. Thatís all.

Volvo for Life

Get a KIA better warranty for FREE
      WARRANTY
      Coverage for your Kia.
      Our industry-leading Kia 10-year/100,000-mile warranty program is a testament to our commitment to quality. The Kia 10-year/100,000 mile warranty program1Opens in New Window consists of:

ē 10-year/100,000 mile limited powertrain warranty

ē 5-year/60,000 mile limited basic warranty

ē 5-year/100,000 mile limited anti-perforation warranty

ē 5-year/60,000 mile roadside assistance plan

Well, this thread quickly went to hell, and then managed to go downhill from there.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Can the Kia nonsense stop please?!

Volvo for Life
      Last edited by bunnny; 11-05-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnny View Post
      I never intended to sound like that. Iím not affiliated nor represent and/or being paid to advertise any of the mentioned above companies. I simply wanted to get peopleís experience, their feedback and advice and nothing else. If you ask me, I really donít wanna add another bill to my wallet. I got high mileage(56K, lease ends 09/01/20) and my manufacture warranty ended last month and now Iím struggling to find a solution to lower my future out-of-pocket cost, as well pure minded intentions to learn more on how to handle the situation. Thatís all.

Volvo for Life
      For the first time I bought a Volvo VIP extended warranty from Steingold. There is just too much that can go wrong with these cars and all repairs are so freaking expensive these days.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ĒAdventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.Ē

If your warranty worried, the KIA or Hyundai is the way to go. Not saying better than Volvo, nor would I want one, but for your very valid worries ( wait till something goes wrong with a hybrid system after the warranties over ) it`s peace of mind and bank account

Personally, I would question the posterís topic of vVolvo being reliable a little bit.

My Volvo has been pretty good, but with all of the electronics and so much stuff tied into a central computer system, I think most makes of cars are prone to more issues than the past.

I believe Volvo is now one step up from last in some reliability/quality polls.

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      There is just too much that can go wrong with these cars and all repairs are so freaking expensive these days.....
      This ^. I had quite a few repairs under warranty in my 2016 XC90. Over the past year as I knew the manufacturer's warranty was nearing and end I'd always pay attention to how much a repair would have cost me. There a lot of repairs with this car of the nature where they need to replace a relatively inexpensive component but pull out the entire steering column to do it. I knew this isn't a vehicle I'd want to own out of warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNip73 View Post
      Personally, I would question the posterís topic of vVolvo being reliable a little bit. My Volvo has been pretty good, but with all of the electronics and so much stuff tied into a central computer system, I think most makes of cars are prone to more issues than the past.
      The technology certainly makes these vehicles more prone to issues. Also, Volvo is a different company now with management making different decisions. My old Volvos were largely bullet proof, but my 2016 XC90 was anything but. They are still good cars but if I were to make a jump it would be for something more reliable.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I agree and I've purchased TWO, one for each of my Volvos when the warranties ran out... and the C30 one has now expired without ONE SINGLE CLAIM. I figure the same will happen for the V60 warranty, which didn't cover the touchless door opening/locking thing (corrosion, for crying out loud)--fortunately Volvo good willed it. Keep your peace of mind, next time I'll keep my money.
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

Volvo VIP or self-insure. All the rest of them are crap and good luck getting them to re-pay you in full after you submit a claim. With Volvo's VIP, the dealership will submit the claims on your behalf.

I have always viewed Volvo (as a brand) as more durable than reliable. The distinction is subtle.
      Last edited by RootDKJ; 11-05-2019 at 10:29 AM.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Okidiver View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I agree and I've purchased TWO, one for each of my Volvos when the warranties ran out... and the C30 one has now expired without ONE SINGLE CLAIM. I figure the same will happen for the V60 warranty, which didn't cover the touchless door opening/locking thing (corrosion, for crying out loud)--fortunately Volvo good willed it. Keep your peace of mind, next time I'll keep my money.
      I wasn't saying not to get one. Just not one of the ones listed.

My Wife's parents recently passed away and they left their 2005 Lexus LS430 with 43,000 miles on the odometer. I mention this because that particular series 2004 thru 2006 is considered one of the most reliable Lexus cars. It is loaded with technology but pre Big Brother Computer Controlled. I still had to replace switches etcetera. But the cost to do so was pretty inexpensive. The engine is a simple naturally aspirated V8. Point being that all newer vehicles are just loaded with complex sensors and are no longer home run wired. Everything goes through a digital interface so that one wire serves many functions. I am afraid to say that I believe most of the new cars today especially ones as complex as the plugins will be expensive to repair. Everything is geared towards lighter weight and easier manufacturability of components. They must be made to be functional through their expected life. The question is how long life is for these components.

Our cars are still pretty new. Some have been problem free while some as noted on the forums have been nightmares. I generally don't believe in extended warranties. Insurance is a money maker for the provider more so than for the client. Peace of mind certainly is worth something and I understand where people just want to be covered. So back to the original question. For sure our Volvo SPA cars are not our Father's cars. When they go south they can be costly to repair.

So the real question is do you want to feel good at a cost? Then pay up front and get a extended warranty. The preference would be to stay with Volvo in terms of warranty. Or, you can set aside money monthly by doing an auto deposit and keep the account till you replace the car. The risk is that a repair will occur early where you did not have enough to cover it. The bottom line is it becomes a personal issue of what makes you feel comfortable. I really don't think there is enough data to for sure convince one that buying an extended warranty will pan out in the end. One consideration is if you sell the car with a warranty that will make it more desirable to a used car buyer. If you trade your car in the dealer won't care about the warranty.

I can tell you if you were to go to the Range Rover/Land Rover forum, no one will buy a used car without a warranty who is in the know. I personally have decided that I will sell my 2017 XC90 T8 car before the end of its warranty even though it is running perfectly. By the way are the Volvo Extended warranties refundable if you do not use them? In the old days that use to be the case with some warranty programs.
      Last edited by drmanny3; 11-05-2019 at 10:23 AM.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gone
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars) gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2005 and 2006 Prius both gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      1999 Lexus GS400 Exhaust, Intake, ECU Chipped gone
      1991 NSX Exhaust gone after 5 years
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

Zurich American Insurance Company

This is the quote from Volvo of Huntington. Any thoughts?

Horrendous - don't go through your Volvo dealer unless they use Volvo VIP . . or even better, just go through Steingold Volvo. Way way cheaper than this quote.
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

Quote Originally Posted by Noonzio View Post
      Horrendous - don't go through your Volvo dealer unless they use Volvo VIP . . or even better, just go through Steingold Volvo. Way way cheaper than this quote.
      Ditto. Get the Volvo plan if youíre gonna do it. Having the dealer take care of the claim process is much easier on you and less likely to result in problems.

Current:
      Linnťa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Steingold Volvo

I'm new in all this and I wonder now about the differences? This is what they're offering me...

Quote Originally Posted by TheNip73 View Post
      Personally, I would question the posterís topic of vVolvo being reliable a little bit.

My Volvo has been pretty good, but with all of the electronics and so much stuff tied into a central computer system, I think most makes of cars are prone to more issues than the past.

I believe Volvo is now one step up from last in some reliability/quality polls.

I think I would believe "I think" and "I believe" if there was some quantifiable evidence and show the polls.

[QUOTE=bunnny;7442623]This is the quote from Volvo of Huntington. Any thoughts?

/QUOTE]

Save the money and use it for a down payment for another new Volvo when the factory ( no cost ) warranty runs out.

[QUOTE=Thommykent;7442721]

/QUOTE]

Save the money and use it for a down payment for another new Volvo when the factory ( no cost ) warranty runs out.
      I got 56K on it. Lease ends 9/1/20. Iíll keep it for that reason Iím looking for worthy protection options.

Volvo for Life

I'm new in all this and I wonder now about the differences? This is what they're offering me...
      The Extended Warranty Service Contract is the only option you need to be looking at (for an Extended Warranty) . . but call Mike (on the phone) and talk to him about it!
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

Did you happened to use it already? Any hiccups?

Volvo for Life
      If youíre talking to me the answer is no, not yet, my car is still under warranty.....my car has been extremely reliable so far

ĒAdventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.Ē

Reliable and volvo dont belong in the same sentence...
      /2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      Thatís because you savagely dismember Volvos. Thatís not ownership, thatís a serial killing kidnapper!

[QUOTE=Thommykent;7442721]

/QUOTE]

If you are getting a new car after 4 years, surely no reason to get extended warranty.
      What if I plan to keep this old Volvo for 10 years or more.

To the list in this poll:

I would only buy Volvo VIP extended warranty. Why it is missing in the list?

I don't know of any one from the list. And it sounds advertisement now.

The thing I consider for extended warranty is: electronics ages faster than mechanic parts.
      Now it is two years since purchase, no mechanic problem other than brake pads/rotors. But the parking climate (warming up the car for me every morning in winter) get random failures.

I totally can imagine similar thing could happen out of factory warranty and cost hundreds or a few thousands to fix.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 11-05-2019 at 06:52 PM.

I've had four used Volvos ranging from 5 to 13 years old upon purchase and three new ones (two are/were leased), I have not purchased any extended warranties because my used Volvos have been more reliable and easier to work on than the other vehicles I've owned. I currently have my XC90 that is out of warranty and I don't expect it to cost me the $3,000-$4,000 that Volvo's extended warranty would cost me over the 9 years that I intend to have the vehicle.

I purchased what I feel is a reliable vehicle and paying for an extended warranty would be akin to betting $3,000-$4,000 against Volvo and my own judgement.

That being said, I've only heard good things about Volvo's in house extended warranty and if I were to buy any warranty plan, it'd be one of their VIP plan.

I also highly recommend finding a good independent Volvo mechanic.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
      (Hers) Current Ride - 2017 XC60 T6 AWD
      ( His ) Current Ride - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD

(Hers) Past Rides - 93 244, 05 XC90, 15.5 XC60
      ( His ) Past Rides - 91 745, 05 S40 T5 FWD

[QUOTE=FusionRedXC60;7442947]
      Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post

If you are getting a new car after 4 years, surely no reason to get extended warranty.
      What if I plan to keep this old Volvo for 10 years or more.
      Of course not, I`m saying when the factory warranty runs out ship it out. Save the extended warranty money for the new Volvo. You think new Volvo`s with all these integrated drive systems will even be viable to keep after 10+ years, I don`t. Manufacturers wish any car after 10 years would be gone off the road.
      Last edited by Thommykent; 11-05-2019 at 07:11 PM.

You only have it one more year, don't waste $$ on a warranty
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Brown Leather, Advanced Package, Charcoal Headliner, 20" OEM Wheels, Wife's ride
      Jeep WK2 owner x 3 (2011, 2014, 2016) Great vehicles, underrated IMO
      Dodge Durango 2016 Family hauler
      First car 1987 Volvo 740 GLE 5 spd RWD, acquired at 130K

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      For the first time I bought a Volvo VIP extended warranty from Steingold. There is just too much that can go wrong with these cars and all repairs are so freaking expensive these days.....

Did you happen to use it already? Can you share your experience please? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by specepic View Post
      You only have it one more year, don't waste $$ on a warranty
      Lease Start Date: July 1st, 2017
      Lease Ends: September 1st, 2020
      Trim: 2017 T6 Momentum Plus

Mileage: 56505(today 11/5/20)
      Maintenance: Dealer's only.
      Major issues: squealing brakes & suspension really worrisome chirping on uneven roads.
      Hiccups: Sensus, slick with some glitches here and there. Shame on you Volvo for making those soft/firm upgrades paid.
      Tires: OEM 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S - great life. Need suggestions on a new brakes/rotors kit(aftermarket only).
      Regrets: Didn't purchased the "Certified by Volvo" Warranty Upgrade upon purchasing
      Intention: Will keep it as a 6th member of the family
      Out of warranty. Need advice!

Lease Start Date: July 1st, 2017
      Lease Ends: September 1st, 2020
      Trim: 2017 T6 Momentum Plus

Mileage: 56505(today 11/5/20)
      Maintenance: Dealer's only.
      Major issues: squealing brakes & suspension really worrisome chirping on uneven roads.
      Hiccups: Sensus, slick with some glitches here and there. Shame on you Volvo for making those soft/firm upgrades paid.
      Tires: OEM 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S - great life. Need suggestions on a new brakes/rotors kit(aftermarket only).
      Regrets: Didn't purchased the "Certified by Volvo" Warranty Upgrade upon purchasing
      Intention: Will keep it as a 6th member of the family
      Out of warranty. Need advice!
      With your intention to keep it for more years, call Steingold Volvo Mike for a quote of extended warranty. It seems not Volvo VIP but still helpful.

Seems mileage exceeded a lot than lease term. Condition sounds good, just need brake work.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast