SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Strange front door alignment issue

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Capndirk 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a very strange problem with the driver’s door alignment on my 2009 XC90. A few days ago there were very strong winds here gusting up to 90km/h. When my wife opened the door, it slipped from her hand and the wind flung it open hard to its stop.

Since then, the top of the door is no longer flush with the vehicle body; it sticks out a bit. The bottom is fine. As a result, there is wind noise. It’s as if the angle of the door no longer matches the car’s body.

I don’t see any adjustment for this; the top hinge would have to be moved inwards, or the bottom hinge outwards, to correct but it doesn’t seem possible. The only door adjustment I can see is the striker plate, which has nothing to do with this issue since it was caused by the door being flung open. I don’t even see any damage - the hinges don’t seem bent at all.

Any ideas? Could it be the pin inside the hinge for example? I’m baffled by this.

Thanks
cinergi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
The top hinge is sprung. The way to "fix" it is to put a big hammer head in the hinge and gently close the door on it, hard enough to bend the hinge area back. Unless you're desperate, find someone who has done it successfully before. A good auto body shop should be able to do it for you. Give them a 6-pack if they do it free.

#4 ·
Thanks, I will check around. Definitely not something I'd like to try myself unless I can't find anyone to do it...

Masscomguru - unfortunately it doesn't really show in a picture. You need to have the whole door in the picture, and then you wouldn't be able to really spot the difference.

Thanks
cinergi

#7 ·
Sounds like a job for a body man (or woman).

Your hinge was bent out of alignment when the door flung open too hard. This is akin to bending your knee the wrong way, and it needing special repair.

#10 ·
Conclusion: The issue was resolved by a local body shop. They first adjusted the hinges (they are in fact adjustable on the door side), then used the wedge trick mentioned in this thread to finish the job. The door is back to normal. The total time required was 10 minutes, and they didn't charge me :). I will hopefully not need a body shop any time soon, but if I do, they have a new customer.

Another local body shop that I initially went to said the door is "bent" and quoted $400 to remove, straighten and re-attach it, with a warning that there would be additional fees if the hinges need to be replaced (which I'm sure they would have "discovered" to be the case :rolleyes: ).

-cinergi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.