2018 XC60 Rear View Mirror Position Problem
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2018 XC60 Rear View Mirror Position Problem

Hi everyone - I posted this about 3 months ago on Reddit, and since have taken my car to the dealer 3 times. They’ve updated the software, did a reinstall, replaced both sides’ mirror motors (got the wrong side the first time), and now replaced the passenger door control module (all recommendations from Volvo corporate after the dealer opened a ticket with them). Still have had no luck with getting this issue resolved. Hoping someone has some advice about what I can do next. I don’t think this is covered under the Texas lemon law, and every time I talk to Volvo corporate I’m told to talk to the dealer. Appreciate the help in advance.

I've tried searching the forums for similar issues, but haven't had much luck. When I start up my 2018 XC60 and the side rear view mirrors unfold, the passenger side mirror will intermittently open to the incorrect position. I used to be able to just press the memory button and it would correct, but now when I do so, it moves to another incorrect position. It seems as if the mirror itself within the housing is moving when the entire fixture folds inward as I lock the car. I have taken it to the dealer numerous times and have had software upgrades/reinstallation and nothing has solved the problem. The only temporary "fix" I have to solve the issue is to physically use the controls inside the car to manually move the mirror to the desired position and re-save it with the memory buttons, but this doesn't last more than a drive or two. I notice that it happens more often when I leave the car overnight or longer, rather than when I turn it off while running to a store, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would request them to replace the mirror. Seems no other choice.

To check if it is mechanic issue, adjust it to the right position, disconnect the fuse for it or the 12V battery for several hours or overnight, and see if it changes again in morning. If it doesn't happen then the issue is still electronic related.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 11-06-2019 at 10:40 AM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Have you tried it resetting to neutral and then store the rearview mirrors in the position you need
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Or disable the mirror folding for a day and see if it moves.

I actually find out my driver side mirrior opens wider than I set and saved in profile. Saved it again today and will see what happens tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Or disable the mirror folding for a day and see if it moves.

I actually find out my driver side mirrior opens wider than I set and saved in profile. Saved it again today and will see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice. I haven’t tried to disconnect the fuses, but I think i’ll show this to the service manager and see if the technician can try it the next time they’re troubleshooting. The issue isn’t with the mirror housing being off, but actually the mirror glass itself being in an incorrect position. Not sure if that changes anything or not.

Also - they’ve replaced the mirror glass motor which hasn’t helped, and at the advice of Volvo corporate technicians, replaced the passenger door control module.

Another person on Reddit said he and his mother’s XC60 have the same issue and have just learned to live with it. I don’t think I can because it’s often unsafe if I don’t notice the mirror is off while trying to change lanes on the highway. Also, for such an expensive car this is a ridiculous problem to live with imo.
      Last edited by tooth32; 11-06-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Have you tried it resetting to neutral and then store the rearview mirrors in the position you need
      I’ve tried to re-save the mirrors in the correct position numerous times which does provide a temporary fix, but within a few days the problem returns. When it comes back from the dealer it’s usually saved in a neutral position, so I’ll adjust/save and still have the same problem. Appreciate your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by tooth32 View Post
      Thanks for your advice. I havenít tried to disconnect the fuses, but I think iíll show this to the service manager and see if the technician can try it the next time theyíre troubleshooting. The issue isnít with the mirror housing being off, but actually the mirror glass itself being in an incorrect position. Not sure if that changes anything or not.

Also - theyíve replaced the mirror glass motor which hasnít helped, and at the advice of Volvo corporate technicians, replaced the passenger door control module.

Another person on Reddit said he and his motherís XC60 have the same issue and have just learned to live with it. I donít think I can because itís often unsafe if I donít notice the mirror is off while trying to change lanes on the highway. Also, for such an expensive car this is a ridiculous problem to live with imo.
      If don't use mirror folding and it holds well at the right position, then it is Ok to keep like that.
      And yeh, electronics problem is weird. However I tend to think it is mechanic inside the mirror housing.
      Ideally the mirror stays relatively fixed inside the housing. When the housing unfolds, the mirror restores to previous position.
      Now mirror position is wrong while mirror motor is not powered. (Housing unfolding probably is done by a different motor).
      So maybe the mirror somehow moves inside the housing due to some loosen mechanic swivel parts.

I don't even know if the mirror motor is inside the housing. But anyhow the mirror motor is not powered and something else should hold up the mirror at right position after housing is folded and unfolded.

Or is the mirror reset to neutral position after folding, and restored back after unfolding?
      That'll be related to how mirror motor is driving it. However I have no idea how it actually works.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 11-06-2019 at 03:13 PM.

My first check would be on profiles. When you unlock the car with a key saved to a profile it will override your other memory positions. It's possible most of the other setting are the same to not appear other changes are occurring. If you use different keys at different times or don't always have to unlock your car, this could explain the intermittency of it.

Another possibility is that your bumping the left or right button quickly, as that can cause the mirrors to go into curb view but that seems less likely.

Thats where I would start. It could be an actual problem too, but it sounds more like a profile/memory function.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      My first check would be on profiles. When you unlock the car with a key saved to a profile it will override your other memory positions. It's possible most of the other setting are the same to not appear other changes are occurring. If you use different keys at different times or don't always have to unlock your car, this could explain the intermittency of it.

Another possibility is that your bumping the left or right button quickly, as that can cause the mirrors to go into curb view but that seems less likely.

Thats where I would start. It could be an actual problem too, but it sounds more like a profile/memory function.

Thanks for your reply. I've checked and paired my profile to the one key that I use. I am the only one with a profile, and the only one that drives this car with the one key (other is in the box in my house). I'm generally fairly cautious and haven't noticed that I've hit the buttons. I leave both L/R mirrors "unselected" as well so they aren't able to be adjusted with a quick nudge on the joystick thing.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements