Prancing Moose..cool marketing
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Cool Prancing Moose..cool marketing

Just read that Volvo sent prancing moose creator Dave Barton a "cease and desist" letter.

The moose is still cool in my book.

Found one of the original moose threads from back in 2005, as it was created for the XC90 :

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...prancing-moose

Nice way to make these cars and SUVs have a sense of humor.

If Volvo marketing is reading this, I've got a good way to poke fun of MB's reindeer ads..do a moose commercial.

A little overboard but for those able to do a mod, an illuminated prancing moose emblem on the grill...to poke fun of MB illuminated emblem..just kidding...don't do it

lol
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

More recent comments on the Prancing Moose are here:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...on#post7430549

Dave Barton apparently gave permission for Auslandervlv to sell these. Either the reverse image marketing is a loophole or Volvo just hasn't caught onto Auslander. Regardless, you can get them there.
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Wagon, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

Cool didnít know I could still get this stuff! Ordered the Swede version of the prancing moose badge
      2013 XC60 T6
      2015 V60CC T5

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      Just read that Volvo sent prancing moose creator Dave Barton a "cease and desist" letter.
      No. "Volvo" did not send him a cease and desist letter. Volvo Trademark Holding sent him a cease and desist. This is an important distinction. Volvo Trademark Holding is an independent company that licenses the right to use the "Volvo" name and logo to both Volvo Cars and to Volvo Trucks (as well as to other entities owned by Volvo AB, the company that owns Volvo Trucks, like Volvo Penta marine engines and Volvo Aero, a jet manufacturer). Volvo Cars has no ability to override a decision by Volvo Trademark Holdings. Because Volvo Trademark Holding must consider the needs of all licensees, they are not able to be as flexible with it as Volvo Cars might desire. There is no indication that Volvo Cars played any part whatsoever in the trademark enforcement decision.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
      More recent comments on the Prancing Moose are here:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...on#post7430549

Dave Barton apparently gave permission for Auslandervlv to sell these. Either the reverse image marketing is a loophole or Volvo just hasn't caught onto Auslander. Regardless, you can get them there.
      Thanks, apparently Auslander and Dave are separate entities as are Volvo Cars with Volvo Trademark, thanks guys.

Itís a great company. I found a cool Volvo Cars video with history of their cars. Iíve only owned 3. My first was a 2004 S80 2.5T with AWD I called the limo.

The video gives the history of the companyís cars. The 544 started 3 point seatbelts as standard equipment, the James Bond coupe, the 240, 850, XC90, etc.

Did you know Volvo waived their patent on the seatbelt...thatís charity.

Also invented the oxygen sensor and child safety booster seat. Nice.

Back in 1978, 7 years after I was born, they won ďThe Cleanest CarĒ award.

https://youtu.be/aNUVwO4NPwg

Very well made video.
      Last edited by Highwayman; 11-07-2019 at 05:57 AM.

Volvo used to all be one company, but they split when Ford bought Volvo cars. To avoid possible conflict over the logo, Volvo AB (which retained Volvo Trucks, Volvo Penta, and Volvo Aero after they sold Volvo Cars) and the new Volvo Cars created an independent holding company to control the use of Volvo trademarks (like the use of the "iron mark" logo and the stylized "VOLVO" in the company font). The holding company is jointly owned so neither Volvo Cars not Volvo AB can overrule the other or control the holding company unilaterally. It's really quite interesting from an intellectual property standpoint.

Sounds like a stupidly over-complicated heavy-handed solution hatched by bunch of lawyers to address a problem that really shouldn't exist
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Sysyphus61 View Post
      Sounds like a stupidly over-complicated heavy-handed solution hatched by bunch of lawyers to address a problem that really shouldn't exist
      And better options are?

Forcing Volvo Cars to change its name isn't a practical solution.

Giving Volvo Cars carte blanche to use and sublicense the logo as it pleases isn't a practical solution because it effectively puts Volvo AB at the mercy of whatever Volvo Cars wants to do with the logo and branding, which can be commercially damaging to Volvo AB.

Giving Volvo Cars a limited license and retaining full rights in Volvo AB protects the parent company's interests, to an extent, but it fails to guarantee Volvo Cars' interests in the future will be adequately protected and thereby devalues the brand, which wasn't good for Volvo AB when they were selling the brand. This method is also very expensive in practice because rather than Volvo AB being able to appeal to a neutral arbitrator to deal with disputes, any disputes would instead need to be dealt with in court, with all the expense such undertakings involve.

Companies aren't stupid and lawyers don't structure things merely to increase complexity. The structure chosen is extremely efficient at protecting the potentially competing interests of all the companies that use the Volvo trademarks while avoiding the expenses of litigation should there be disagreements.

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      Volvo used to all be one company, but they split when Ford bought Volvo cars. To avoid possible conflict over the logo, Volvo AB (which retained Volvo Trucks, Volvo Penta, and Volvo Aero after they sold Volvo Cars) and the new Volvo Cars created an independent holding company to control the use of Volvo trademarks (like the use of the "iron mark" logo and the stylized "VOLVO" in the company font). The holding company is jointly owned so neither Volvo Cars not Volvo AB can overrule the other or control the holding company unilaterally. It's really quite interesting from an intellectual property standpoint.
      I could understand how Volvo would want to protect and distance their public image and iron mark symbol versus a comical prancing moose. I just find the prancing moose created by Dave Barton to be a nice comical relief sort of thing. There's also nothing Volvo could do if anybody would want to debadge their car. We're in a democracy.

I like the bold V O L V O badge on the trunk, but has anybody ever thought of debadging it to another five letter word... M O O S E....lol

I could understand how Volvo would want to protect and distance their public image and iron mark symbol versus a comical prancing moose. I just find the prancing moose created by Dave Barton to be a nice comical relief sort of thing. There's also nothing Volvo could do if anybody would want to debadge their car. We're in a democracy.

I like the bold V O L V O badge on the trunk, but has anybody ever thought of debadging it to another five letter word... M O O S E....lol
      ...or switching the letters to spell O V L O V? I saw an Oregon vanity plate with this spelling years ago.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, '68 122S Wagon

The issue wasn't with the moose. The issue was with the use of the trademarked "VOLVO" in the company's trademark font. Most likely not even with that so much as with the reproduction underhood stickers, many of which were reproductions of legally required stickers that I can understand why a company may not be happy having unauthorized and unsupervised reproductions of. Or, for example, the reproduction "Genuine Volvo Parts" stickers that Dave Barton was selling that could easily have been used by parts counterfeiters may have pushed the trademark holdings company to action.

Basically, I think the problems came not from the famous moose decals but rather from the lesser known "reproduction" stickers that were also being made. Easier to send a blanket C&D than to try to select which stickers were and weren't problematic.

The issue wasn't with the moose. The issue was with the use of the trademarked "VOLVO" in the company's trademark font. Most likely not even with that so much as with the reproduction underhood stickers, many of which were reproductions of legally required stickers that I can understand why a company may not be happy having unauthorized and unsupervised reproductions of. Or, for example, the reproduction "Genuine Volvo Parts" stickers that Dave Barton was selling that could easily have been used by parts counterfeiters may have pushed the trademark holdings company to action.

Basically, I think the problems came not from the famous moose decals but rather from the lesser known "reproduction" stickers that were also being made. Easier to send a blanket C&D than to try to select which stickers were and weren't problematic.
      In an earlier life, I was a Regional Service Manager for what was then Volvo North America. That means "service rep" in useful terms. One of our marching orders for when we were on the road visiting dealers, was to keep an eye out for trademark usage so that corporate could sic the legal dogs on independent service outlets or anyone using the Volvo stylized name or badge. Using the word "Volvo" was not actionable, it was made clear, but the use of the stylized name and/or the male symbol logo was. Besides Volvo jealously guarding what's theirs, the object was to prevent customers thinking that these independent shops were authorized and therefore that Volvo would stand behind them. I actually found that some customers believed that an independent shop was authorized and that Volvo should warranty the shops repairs.
      Ultimately, using a trademark adds value to the service or product, so it makes sense that a company would try to retain the value that it earned for it's own use. That being said, I did recently buy "Dancing Moose" stickers from Dave and "Flying Squirrel" stickers, too, for my wife's car. Clearly, I'm no stickler for trademark use:
      Rocky.jpgmoose.jpg
      I don't know that I would have bought the Dancing Moose with the Volvo Logo, had it been available. Really, the whole point of the moose is spoofing the Ferrari logo, so in that sense, "Volvo" should be in Ferrari's typeface. I'm just happy that there are so many variations available, since my wife and I are on a different tangent.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
      ...or switching the letters to spell O V L O V? I saw an Oregon vanity plate with this spelling years ago.
      Good one, I've also seen L O V E R , M O V E R , R O G E R..anything with an O or V works

I could easily see you are technically correct, I just see Dave as a guy making stickers with no malcontent. Of course he's making a profit off Volvo's back but where the stickers could have gone wrong is the use of the bold lettering. Picture only and I think he would of been ok. Nice ones up there in black and white, and I could easily see my wife getting one with a H O R S E

https://jalopnik.com/how-volvo-lost-the-plot-1796486519

Great article on Jalopnik on the history of the Volvo image, its ad campaigns, agencies & advertising through the 80s 90s etc. If any man with a daughter wants to cry, just watch the "XC90 Wedding Volvo Commercial" or if you're a nature lover with a rebellious streak "Song of the Open Road Volvo Commercial."

What an ad with the Big Foot truck and the uncrushed Volvo roof.

So I ordered one of these from these guys on Wednesday and still havenít gotten a shipping confirmation email. Has anyone ordered from them and can give me an idea of how long it took to receive it?
      2013 XC60 T6
      2015 V60CC T5

Mine came from https://www.prancingmoose.com/VolvoPrancingMoose2.html,
      and Dave answers orders and emails right away. I asked about getting left and right Moose so that the things would be facing forward on each side of the car, and answered within a day. After I ordered, I received confirmation within 24 hours. When i emailed about the flying squirrel, he came back right away and had samples for approval
      Highwayman; I'm sure that Dave would be willing to produce the horse your wife would want. Just shoot him an email from the website, and see what he says. He's a great guy and very accommodating.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      Mine came from https://www.prancingmoose.com/VolvoPrancingMoose2.html
      Highwayman; I'm sure that Dave would be willing to produce the horse your wife would want. Just shoot him an email from the website, and see what he says. He's a great guy and very accommodating.
      Will look into, thanks. Our XC90 is the family work horse so very appropriate. It's my wife's favorite animal. I guess moose are a little more imposing, but I may consider the moose for our S60, thanks.

Driving the Autostrada in Italy at the speed limit (which I recall was 100KPH in places), I remember seeing a red sportscar flash by with a black prancing Ferrari horse obviously ignoring the speed limit. That's why I like the prancing moose on a Volvo - self depracating humor.
      2015.5 V60CC Savile Grey met, BLIS, heated front seats, convenience pkg, rubber mats
      2014 S60 T5 Premier Plus w/sport, xenons, BLIS, heated front seats, SCT w/nav (hers)
      2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (sold) 120,000+ miles
      2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan (sold) 160,000+ miles
      1996 Saab 900S (sold) 110,000+ miles

Quote Originally Posted by mamba42 View Post
      So I ordered one of these from these guys on Wednesday and still havenít gotten a shipping confirmation email. Has anyone ordered from them and can give me an idea of how long it took to receive it?
      Have you gotten the Moose yet ? Thanks

Have you gotten the Moose yet ? Thanks
      Yes, I got it in the mail yesterday. Put them on today. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow and post.
      2013 XC60 T6
      2015 V60CC T5

Quote Originally Posted by mamba42 View Post
      Yes, I got it in the mail yesterday. Put them on today. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow and post.
      Thanks, I'm leaning towards a black and white one like capndirk posted. My kids are going to get a kick out of it. A moose kick !

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements