One Year Old - Is it time for Service?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

My 2019 T6 Inscription is one year old today. I have approx 9300km.

I was looking on the Volvo Canada website for their Schedule Maintenance schedule - here is what I found:

https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/own/...ed-maintenance

Service 1 at 16,000km

Includes: Oil & Filter change with Synthetic oil, Chassis Inspection, Update technical software and clean windshield in front of Intellisafe support camera.

Should wait for a while since I only have 9300km? I already have the latest software update (July 2019). Is see the first service is basically an oil change and they clean the front windshield (this is odd we have to pay them to clean the front glass?).

Your thoughts...

Thanks....

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

In Sweden it's after 1 year or 15000 km (~10000 miles), whichever comes first.
      Sent from a device using some software

I also have very low mileage and get the reminder waaaay before the car reaches the designated mileage. My 18 has only 14,600 miles (been driving it since Oct 17) and I've been getting the reminder since mid October. This time I'm going to wait closer to 20,000 before I take it in. But last year they did the 10,000 service at 6k miles. I think it assumes we all drive the average number of miles in a year.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by comp1 View Post
      I also have very low mileage and get the reminder waaaay before the car reaches the designated mileage. My 18 has only 14,600 miles (been driving it since Oct 17) and I've been getting the reminder since mid October. This time I'm going to wait closer to 20,000 before I take it in. But last year they did the 10,000 service at 6k miles. I think it assumes we all drive the average number of miles in a year.
      It is better to keep the 1yr schedule. Low mileage means most of driving is in city streets, and maintenance is needed sooner than driving on freeway, as RPM is usually higher.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Are you going from build date or in service date? It should be serviced at 1 year from the in service date. Not sure what the grace period is time-wise but if you wait too long you might lose the free service.

And there have been software updates since July.

Are you leasing it or do you want it to last forever? You should have them in once a year. Short drives with low miles are far harder on the lubricants than lots of highway miles. You get condensation and it doesn't get to burn out as well. I tell folks part of the reason Volvo's can last so long is because customers tend to take really good care of them.

Thanks for the replies...

I actually work from home so I really don't drive anywhere. A majority of my trips are usually highway trips on the weekends to play golf (30k-80k each way). So not that many short trips. Have to pick up the kids from school may be 4 times a month...

I might was well take it in - since it is the first service the oil might be a bit dirty with any break-in particles....

Oh - and for @tech - it is service date for me - I took delivery one year ago today.

Thanks guys....

Happy Anniversary!
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by spas1 View Post
      My 2019 T6 Inscription is one year old today. I have approx 9300km.

I was looking on the Volvo Canada website for their Schedule Maintenance schedule - here is what I found:

https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/own/...ed-maintenance

Service 1 at 16,000km

Includes: Oil & Filter change with Synthetic oil, Chassis Inspection, Update technical software and clean windshield in front of Intellisafe support camera.

Should wait for a while since I only have 9300km? I already have the latest software update (July 2019). Is see the first service is basically an oil change and they clean the front windshield (this is odd we have to pay them to clean the front glass?).

Your thoughts...

Thanks....
      Hi spas1
      I came across an interesting article that may assist with your decision.... Whilst the guy on this site is a bit of a wild so and so he speaks the truth!

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/this...-you-thousands

I wouldn't hesitate to have it serviced, in fact my XC60 is going in this week for it's service.. and yes I don't have the distance traveled only the time is up.
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

Thanks for the replies...

I actually work from home so I really don't drive anywhere. A majority of my trips are usually highway trips on the weekends to play golf (30k-80k each way). So not that many short trips. Have to pick up the kids from school may be 4 times a month...

I might was well take it in - since it is the first service the oil might be a bit dirty with any break-in particles....

Oh - and for @tech - it is service date for me - I took delivery one year ago today.

Thanks guys....
      I’m in the same boat - I work from home. Golf course once a week or I drive to the airport. I travel a lot. Outside of that, I drive 2 hours to see my kids. I have 47k on my 2015.5 and I’m getting flooded with maintenance reminders. Oh, I change my own oil every 5k miles.
      Her HHI car - 2010 C70 T5 Ice White w/ off-black interior
      His - 2015.5 XC60 Bright Silver, T6 Platinum w/ off-black interior now with Polestar!
      Hers - 2017 XC60 Magic Blue w/ blond interior, T5 Dynamic
      For Fun - 1992 NA 300ZX lightly modified

Another “work” from home here also. Although I do have to make a 1.5-2 hour field trip 3-4 times a month.

I’m at 8200 miles now, so probably in January I’ll get my first service.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Question - so I called my local Volvo dealer - they want $279 for the 16k service - which essentially is an oil change and an inspection and they clean the windshield.

So I asked how much is just an oil change - $149.99.

When I had my 01 V70 I would bring in my own oil (Mobile 1 Synthetic) and the same dealer would charge me approx $45 for the oil change (oil filter, o-ring, and labor).

I wonder if I should start doing that again....

The 16k service price seems a little excessive if they are basically doing an oil change and checking all the fluids and topping up the air pressure in the car - I am I wrong here?

Question - so I called my local Volvo dealer - they want $279 for the 16k service - which essentially is an oil change and an inspection and they clean the windshield.

When I had my 01 V70 I would bring in my own oil (Mobile 1 Synthetic) and the same dealer would charge me approx $45 for the oil change (oil filter, o-ring, and labor).

The 16k service price seems a little excessive if they are basically doing an oil change and checking all the fluids and topping up the air pressure in the car - I am I wrong here?

You're right there is not much in the 10,000m/16,000km service besides oil change and inside windshield cleaning. There are visual checks on quite a few things and also topping off washer fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, antifreeze check and maintenance minder reset. Plus there may be software downloads. Certainly its worth a few dollars more. The 20,000m/32,000km does all of the above and replaces the cabin filter. The really big one is 40,000m/64,000km
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

My 16000 km service will be due at probably about 12000 km in late March. 1 year rather than mileage.
      OK I’ll just do that and then it will be another year and another 12000 km.
      By the time I get to 64000 km the car will be 5 years old and traded for something new. If the car is in the slightest unreliable it will be traded the day the warranty ends at 4 years and 48000 km.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Last edited by timlocke; 11-25-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Isn't the first 3 years maintenance covered by Volvo? Mine is covered for 3 years 36K miles.
      Last edited by PSamy; 12-02-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Typo
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      Isn't the first 3 years maintenance is covered by Volvo? Mine is covered for 3 years 36K miles.
      The challenge I suspect is the 3-year “free scheduled maintenance with a new purchase” is a US thing — not necessarily a consistent policy in all countries around the world.

We can’t always tell from poster’s profiles and sig lines where they may be in this global forum. Hint-hint to others that are not trying to operate in stealth-mode, how useful “Location” info in your profile or sig line can sometimes to be to some of us!
      Bert

In Transit: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription, Polestar Optimized - Est <12/31 Delivery
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      The challenge I suspect is the 3-year “free scheduled maintenance with a new purchase” is a US thing — not necessarily a consistent policy in all countries around the world.

We can’t always tell from poster’s profiles and sig lines where they may be in this global forum. Hint-hint to others that are not trying to operate in stealth-mode, how useful “Location” info in your profile or sig line can sometimes to be to some of us!
      It's not a guarantee but if they're using kilometers for distance it's a reasonable bet there's not in the United States so a US only policy wouldn't apply. OTOH, in looking at reviews I seem to remember that the same policy applied in Australia.

Correct - I am from Canada - unfortunately there is no free maintenance offered for Canadians....

Correct - I am from Canada - unfortunately there is no free maintenance offered for Canadians....
      Interesting, I know that you don't get HK sound system as standard for 'Inscription'/R-Design. It looks like there is more disparity than just sound system.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

I don’t think it’s unusual for most auto mfgrs to have different packaging and pricing for various markets.

I found that to be the case frequenting global forums like this with Lexus and MBZ — perhaps more so with Lexus that tends to package options into sets (and not always allowing some options to be purchased independently) more like what I see with Volvo, than say MBZ and BMW who have some packages, but interestingly when you see what happens in their ordering system, it’s all broken down into the individual options and you can probably finagle your way to still get what you want... Porsche of course goes even further how detailed a buyer can get specifying individual options after a couple big packages are selected, and then those $100’s add up fast for each and every little thing you add.

For me, bigger packaging simplifies and is OK when I get things I want (and even better if there is a pricing benefit to me because I bought it all together), but if there are too many things in a package I could care less about (like headlight washers in the XC60 advanced pkg), packaging can be a reason I may not buy any of it — or even the model itself — if those options are not offered separately. ...thats where the balancing act is for high value mass-customized things like automobiles — getting the most dollars from a customer, but also generating max profit from the volume you actually sell.

It makes sense to me for mass-marketed auto mfgrs to set broad parameters of what options they can mfgr and some of which must be sold together, but then allow leaders closer to their market to make the packaging decisions, set final MSRP, and tie it with their customized sales/marketing campaigns in that geography. It’s easier then for Corp HQ to hold them accountable for their end result and hopefully maximize sales and profit for the brand as a whole.
      Bert

In Transit: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription, Polestar Optimized - Est <12/31 Delivery
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Good to know, I remember when I was shopping for MDX (Acura) about 12 years ago, it was offered only in 3 packages which had bundled options.

Question

Hi - My 2018 XC90 Inscription also has been flashing I need service for quite a while now. I have about 17,000 miles on it but the service manage says don't come in until it is a year old? Is this right? I always thought an early service was necessary just in case the oil had gotten some metal shavings from the break in. If anyone here knows i would appreciate hearing what the policy is. I am in Los Angeles. TIA

Not too fond of the ~15 MPG I am getting but I love this car!

Sorry, I know this is an XC60 thread, but I would imagine we have the same service schedules.
      Last edited by Steven_2018_XC90_Inscript; 12-07-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_2018_XC90_Inscript View Post
      Hi - My 2018 XC90 Inscription also has been flashing I need service for quite a while now. I have about 17,000 miles on it but the service manage says don't come in until it is a year old? Is this right? I always thought an early service was necessary just in case the oil had gotten some metal shavings from the break in. If anyone here knows i would appreciate hearing what the policy is. I am in Los Angeles. TIA

Sorry, I know this is an XC60 thread, but I would imagine we have the same service schedules.
      Your service manager is either funny or not knowledgeable. Follow the user's manual and oil change is needed every 10k miles or one year, whichever comes first.
      The first maintenance is just oil change.

If your car is T8 and you drive half of the mileage on battery, 17k miles should be normal. But for T5/T6, oil change really should be done at 10k miles interval.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 12-07-2019 at 01:03 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Are you going from build date or in service date? It should be serviced at 1 year from the in service date. Not sure what the grace period is time-wise but if you wait too long you might lose the free service.

And there have been software updates since July.
      And would the warranty not be jeopardized if service is delayed and there is a failure that could be attributed to a delayed oil change?
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvo’s: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70, 98 V70 (twins to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Whether a T5, T6 or T8, follow the service schedule in the manual at least every 10K or within 12 months (after the in service date and thereafter within 12 months of the last service).

I recall in an earlier that a T8’s oil may incur more condensation, et al since ICE does not run as often. I would not be trying to save a buck if it means skipping OEM’s scheduled maintenance.

My car’s in service was 1 Feb 2016. I am at 43,000 miles as of 1 December 2019. I have already had 4 scheduled service based on every 10K.

My next service will be at either 50K or 15 June 2020 which occurs first - even for a T8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 12-08-2019 at 11:52 AM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_2018_XC90_Inscript View Post

So you've been ignoring the service light for 7000 miles?

I don't know if it applies to the newer XC60 in question, but my wife's 2013 S60 doesn't hit miles or anniversary for the maintenance required message to light up. When changing the oil and filter, then resetting the reminder with the Volvo VIDA software interface, I saw that the service interval for oil and filter is 10,000 miles, 1 Year, or 500 hours! I was surprised that an engine hour interval was in the vehicle software. It's even more surprising that she may have spent 500 hours in the car in less than a year. Next time, I connect VIDA to the car, I'll take a closer look at the software and see if real stats are available. I know the last service info is available in there, but I didn't look at it.
      There are several undesirable side effects of low engine use. As noted previously, condensation may accumulate in the engine. That develops acids, as I hear it, as well as compromising the lubricity of the engine oil.
      Another thing is that the exhaust system may not heat up adequately to expel moisture build-up. Supposedly, every gallon of fuel burned develops a gallon of water, so some of that water can reside in the exhaust system, corroding it from the inside, if it doesn't escape as steam.
      Next will be fuel use. On many Commercial and Marine diesel engines, the service interval is based on engine hours or amount and type of fuel used.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

They have used engine hours for a long time. You are likely getting the Book Time for Maintenance message, which comes on before 1 year to remind you to schedule an appointment.

My 2019 is due for the 10k service in February and I also have not received any system update since I bought the car last February. Will I get any pushback for asking for a total system update during this service? Is there anything I should say specifically to ensure they do it?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSo0h0o View Post
      My 2019 is due for the 10k service in February and I also have not received any system update since I bought the car last February. Will I get any pushback for asking for a total system update during this service? Is there anything I should say specifically to ensure they do it?
      In the US they should do it with the service. See the various threads around here about it.

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements