The slow transformation.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 10 of 10

    Hybrid View

    Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    1. #1
      Junior Member mathue's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Dublin CA
      Posts
      64

      The slow transformation.

      A bit back I settled on the notion I was going to paint my car.

      However, since I don't have the budget to have it painted by someone I've chosen to do it myself.

      My garage is only slightly bigger than my 142S which means a slow few panel by panel ordeal where I park with one side right up against the side wall and one end right up against the door.

      No filtration, temperature or humidity control. I added two sets of LED lights 2 weeks ago after I'd started as the light levels were woefully inadequate.

      With lots of high build light grey primer and sanding, sooo much sanding, I've managed to get the roof, A and C pillars & windscreen valence. Just this last weekend I completed the hood and front drivers fender.

      When I'm done I will need to do a Cut and Buff to deal with some 'Earl Scheib' areas, but so far it's turned out better than I would have expected.

      red.jpg
      sunset_volvo.jpg

    2. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      586
      Quote Originally Posted by mathue View Post
      A bit back I settled on the notion I was going to paint my car.

      However, since I don't have the budget to have it painted by someone I've chosen to do it myself.

      My garage is only slightly bigger than my 142S which means a slow few panel by panel ordeal where I park with one side right up against the side wall and one end right up against the door.

      No filtration, temperature or humidity control. I added two sets of LED lights 2 weeks ago after I'd started as the light levels were woefully inadequate.

      With lots of high build light grey primer and sanding, sooo much sanding, I've managed to get the roof, A and C pillars & windscreen valence. Just this last weekend I completed the hood and front drivers fender.

      When I'm done I will need to do a Cut and Buff to deal with some 'Earl Scheib' areas, but so far it's turned out better than I would have expected.

      red.jpg
      sunset_volvo.jpg
      Nice job!
      A paint job you do yourself always comes out better in so many ways rather than just writing a check (anybody can do that).

    3. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Posts
      305
      Mathue;

      ...paintjob alread looks pretty good from here (Connecticut)...

      Cheers

    4. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    5. #4
      Junior Member mathue's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Dublin CA
      Posts
      64
      Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      Nice job!
      A paint job you do yourself always comes out better in so many ways rather than just writing a check (anybody can do that).
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
      Mathue;

      ...paintjob alread looks pretty good from here (Connecticut)...

      Cheers

      Thankyuh Ron and GRUENDIG!

    6. #5
      Junior Member scaramoucheii's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Florida, USA
      Posts
      427
      Great Job, Lots of elbow grease on that finish

      I once painted my 142 in a carport on Vancouver Island, with a few tarps as walls,

      ... to all those that say a paint job is $10 K,
      Currently: 2016 XC90 T8, 1973 1800ES Original D-Jet, 1973 142 B20B, 1977 242 B230FT
      Previously: 1974 144 B20B, 1974 142 B20F, 1989 740, 1981 242 GLT, 1996 740, 1999 V70

    7. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      St. Louis, MO
      Posts
      83
      Wow!
      Do you feel like coming to St. Louis to do mine, that looks great.

    8. #7
      Junior Member mathue's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Dublin CA
      Posts
      64
      Last edited by mathue; 11-30-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Images were not working.

    9. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      St. Louis, MO
      Posts
      83
      The links aren't working.
      Steve

    10. #9
      Junior Member mathue's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Dublin CA
      Posts
      64
      Corrected, I hope

    11. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      St. Louis, MO
      Posts
      83
      Looks great!

    Similar Threads

    1. S60 R-Design transformation progress
      By Shiryu in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 11-15-2011, 09:30 PM
    2. Transformation of my former R
      By flybynight in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 06-14-2010, 09:41 PM
    3. How slow is slow?
      By basirico in forum C70 (2006-2013)
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 09-08-2006, 02:40 PM
    4. Getting ready for a major transformation by Ford
      By stevectsai in forum Car Lounge
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 08-04-2006, 02:33 PM
    5. An S70 Transformation
      By dragon17 in forum Car Lounge
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 11-09-2005, 09:59 AM