Window clips
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Window clips

Window clips

While returning the 2020 XC90 loaner I had last week whilst the dealership was doing warranty work on my wife’s XC90 I asked about the window clip that was missing from both of my cars. There was one mounted in the window of the 2020.

The dealer didn’t give me a reason they were left off of the 2016 and 2019 but told me that they were the same part so I ordered two. Here’s the Part #31651857 in case anyone else wants to order. Cost £3 for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What's this for?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's the greatest secret that every Volvo owner complained was missing but every non-Volvo owner asks about it's purpose! I actually am one that really likes em. They go on the a pillar near the bottom left corner. Great for parking passes etc. They came back as standard in 2020 but weren't available before on the SPA cars.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Do you have a picture of one installed?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Here is one (xc40 but same idea)
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      It's the greatest secret that every Volvo owner complained was missing but every non-Volvo owner asks about it's purpose! I actually am one that really likes em. They go on the a pillar near the bottom left corner. Great for parking passes etc. They came back as standard in 2020 but weren't available before on the SPA cars.
      Those of us long time Volvo owners remember the ticket clip - glad its back. We also miss the fold flat passenger seat and the 40/20/40 second row. It would really be nice if Volvo brought those back as well.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

I got this on my XC60 MY2018
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

We noticed the clip on our 2020 when we did the OSD delivery in October. Both of us, first-time Volvo owners, were "WTF IS THAT THING?!?!?!?" I immediately tried to pry it out, but that wouldn't move without breaking the piece...

My thought was that it would make it much harder to clean the window, but then I realized I only wash the inner side of my windshield every 10 years or so (!!!), so it's not a big deal I guess

Geoff
      Last edited by Jofu; 11-08-2019 at 10:47 PM.

My 2019 XC60 does not have that clip. There is a clip on each sun visor (same side as the visor mirror) however for holding tickets, credit cards, etc.
      2019 XC60 Momentum T6 AWD
      Crystal White with black interior & charcoal headliner
      Climate Pkg, Vision Pkg, Convenience Pkg

I was wondering why they removed it. I had it on my previous 01 V70 and used it often and as a little disappointed they removed it from the new car....

It's interesting, we don't have it on 2018 XC60 but we do have it on 2020 V60 CC. I was actually curious whether it would be possible to add to the XC60 as well.
      2020 V60 Cross Country – Denim Blue/Charcoal, Advanced, Heated seats & steering wheel, 19'' wheels
      2018 XC60 T5 Inscription – Osmium Gray/Charcoal, Convenience, Vision, Heated front seats & steering wheel, 20'' wheels

Window clips

Installation takes maybe 5 minutes.

Pull the plastic covering access to the A pillar and remove the bolt (8mm).

Then pull the pillar gently towards the center of the windscreen. There are a couple of pressure clips that release and it should just pull away at the top. No need to remove the whole thing.

You only need an inch or so to set the clip behind it.

Once you set it wherever you like just reverse the previous steps making sure to press the pillar to seat the pressure clips.

Be aware that the airbag is back there too so be extra careful when prying the pillar and pushing it back in.

Last edited by n a m; 11-22-2019 at 04:16 AM.

Hooligan of Volvo

Window clips

Forgot to mention that the dealer told me it would work on my wife’s XC90 as well so it doesn’t appear to be model specific.

I can confirm the right side A pillar is identical to the left if you were going to install it there.

I ran wiring in the headliner and behind the off-side A pillar to the fuse box for my dash cam earlier this year.

Last edited by n a m; 11-09-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Hooligan of Volvo

Correct you can add it to any SPA car now.

+1 With MY16 XC90s, the European market seemed to have them while the US market did not. The out of pocket cost for the part was $4 USD which I order back in early 2016. Dealer installed it free of charge, even the part was free. - good will lives even for the small things.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
      We noticed the clip on our 2020 when we did the OSD delivery in October. Both of us, first-time Volvo owners, were "WTF IS THAT THING?!?!?!?" I immediately tried to pry it out, but that wouldn't move without breaking the piece...

My thought was that it would make it much harder to clean the window, but then I realized I only wash the inner side of my windshield every 10 years or so (!!!), so it's not a big deal I guess

Geoff
      Same here,,, ha...
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Having owned 42 Volvo's since 1960, most came with the clip. When I picked up my 2018 V90 it did not have the clip. Dealer said it is not a spec on that year. So I ordered one and the dealer installed it no charge. Glad to hear it is now included in the new models.
      2018 V90 T6 RD Passion Red, Amber, Polestar

Am I the only one who thinks they are stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by johnz1954 View Post
      I like the utility of them for a variety of reasons. To each his own though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by johnz1954 View Post
      Yes. Yes you are.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

the European market seemed to have them while the US market did not.
      Haven't any of you ever been to Europe? The only reason for the plastic window clip is to hold the parking receipts or time markers that are required for on-the-street parking in European cities. The reason the U. S. market doesn't get them is that we have no such system. We put coins in the parking meter or depend on the meter maid to chalk our tires.

If you want to clip your grocery-shopping list or mpg record into them in Duluth or Des Moines, go right ahead, but that's not their purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Haven't any of you ever been to Europe? The only reason for the plastic window clip is to hold the parking receipts or time markers that are required for on-the-street parking in European cities. The reason the U. S. market doesn't get them is that we have no such system. We put coins in the parking meter or depend on the meter maid to chalk our tires.

If you want to clip your grocery-shopping list or mpg record into them in Duluth or Des Moines, go right ahead, but that's not their purpose.
      Really? There are parking garages that require a display of a registered parking authorization. It works really well if the sunshade is put up since the clip is between the shade and the windshield.

Actually, it seems that MY20s now include them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Really? There are parking garages that require a display of a registered parking authorization. It works really well if the sunshade is put up since the clip is between the shade and the windshield.

Actually, it seems that MY20s now include them.

Yeah, I remember this clip on everything starting from the 700 series cars. The last one I had was on my '03 XC70 and was surprised when my wife's '17 XC90 didn't have it. I'm glad to see it come back.

In the NY/NJ area where I live, and in other places I have traveled, on-street parking not infrequently requires payment at a street kiosk then the display of the receipt in the dash as proof of payment. The clip makes that much easier to display. Similarly, in my town, at certain times, the display of a pass is required to access certain streets and the clip is a very handy and more a more highly visible way of displaying this pass than hanging it on the rear view mirror. Finally, the clip makes it easy to transfer a garage parking pass from one vehicle to another. Simply laminate the parking pass so that it is no longer adhesive, then it may be transferred from vehicle to vehicle so long as it has the clip. The clip was a real convenience and I am glad that it is back.

Quote Originally Posted by johntsien View Post
      Yeah, I remember this clip on everything starting from the 700 series cars. The last one I had was on my '03 XC70 and was surprised when my wife's '17 XC90 didn't have it. I'm glad to see it come back.

In the NY/NJ area where I live, and in other places I have traveled, on-street parking not infrequently requires payment at a street kiosk then the display of the receipt in the dash as proof of payment. The clip makes that much easier to display. Similarly, in my town, at certain times, the display of a pass is required to access certain streets and the clip is a very handy and more a more highly visible way of displaying this pass than hanging it on the rear view mirror. Finally, the clip makes it easy to transfer a garage parking pass from one vehicle to another. Simply laminate the parking pass so that it is no longer adhesive, then it may be transferred from vehicle to vehicle so long as it has the clip. The clip was a real convenience and I am glad that it is back.
      I live in the NY/NJ area as well..... and always placed said ticket on the dash.... without any issues... why would people go through the hassle of installing a silly clip when they can literally just put it on their dash and it be just as visible
      2019 S60 T6 R-design P*

I’ve had those parking passes blow off the dash. I live in Europe and would rather place it under the clip than have the sticky backed parking pass adhesive all over my windows. I have a legitimate need for it and happy I was able to get a few of them.

Nobody said you had to order one.

Hooligan of Volvo

Jeez....why are people who don't want them complaining about people who do?

It doesn't impact you or your car if others have one, so just move on.

Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
      I live in the NY/NJ area as well..... and always placed said ticket on the dash.... without any issues... why would people go through the hassle of installing a silly clip when they can literally just put it on their dash and it be just as visible
      Several reasons.

It won't get blown around when you have your climate on, it wont' get blown around when you open your window, it won't glare on the windshield, it won't slip and get lost under the dash, it will always been within easy reach of the driver, it makes it much easier for lot attendants to see it, and gate keepers to wave you through. All this for a clip that cost a few bucks! Honestly, I only use it a few times a year, but I am always thankful it's there when those times come up and it's not in the field of view of the road for me otherwise.

My 2019 doesn't have the clip....it would have been useful to have this past summer when I parked on the street. I did go to the parking kiosk, purchased the parking ticket and placed it on the dashboard. Unbeknownst to me a gust of wind flipped the ticket over just as I was closing the door. When I got back to my car I found a parking ticket. I was able to prove that I had paid for parking so the ticket was cancelled but I wouldn't have had to go through the trouble if I had the clip to place my parking receipt.
      2019 XC60 Momentum T6 AWD
      Crystal White with black interior & charcoal headliner
      Climate Pkg, Vision Pkg, Convenience Pkg

I now flip down the sun visor and stick parking label on it. Works very well. I can also rotate it to face the side if necessary.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Lol. I use it almost everyday.

Hooligan of Volvo

Window clips

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I now flip down the sun visor and stick parking label on it. Works very well. I can also rotate it to face the side if necessary.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Very good and that can work.

It does does not work as well when the sun visor needs to hold the windshield sun shade in place since the clip on the visor is behind the shade.

For $4 or free, the windshield clip is very convenient. Now if we could get it in matching crystal. (just kidding!)

Got mine in today and will install this weekend. Thanks for the part number!
      Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by spas1 View Post
      I was wondering why they removed it. I had it on my previous 01 V70 and used it often and as a little disappointed they removed it from the new car....
      Glad to know this. Our '01 V70 has it and it's an amazingly handy little thing. Just the ticket for a parking pass - particularly since mirrors are making hang tags less useful as they become part of a mass of stuff attached to the windshield. When we order our new car (assuming we do get a Volvo, as seems likely at the moment) we'll have to ask that they make sure it has this.

Ken
      '01 V70 T2.4T

Quote Originally Posted by n a m View Post
      Here’s the Part #31651857 in case anyone else wants to order.
      Thank you for posting this! This is a feature that I've missed in my 2019 XC60 -- something I've loved about my last 4 Volvos. To me, this is a quintessentially "Volvo" piece, and all Volvos should have it!

I ordered one from my dealer ($2.15 US) and it arrived within two days. Installation was easy. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by n a m View Post
      Installation takes maybe 5 minutes.

Pull the plastic covering access to the A pillar and remove the bolt (10mm).

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...597ae515df.jpg

Then pull the pillar gently towards the center of the windscreen. There are a couple of pressure clips that release and it should just pull away at the top. No need to remove the whole thing.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...388ec7d128.jpg

You only need an inch or so to set the clip behind it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...849dc9ff64.jpg

Once you set it wherever you like just reverse the previous steps making sure to press the pillar to seat the pressure clips.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6185b41701.jpg

Be aware that the airbag is back there too so be extra careful when prying the pillar and pushing it back in.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...efbc3c668b.jpg
      FWIW, on my 2019 XC60 the bolt was 8mm -- not 10mm.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast