Potential C70 owner looking for feedback
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hello. I am in the early stages of finding a new toy/project and thinking the 2nd gen C70's are old enough for me to consider one now. I haven't driven one but wanted to know how is the body rigidity of these cars with the top up as well as down? Haven't a car that rattles away when I'm driving it will make me crazy. Thanks for any feedback you folks can provide.
      1996 855 Platinum Edition (Sadly sold)
      1994 854 Manual (sold)
      1997 854 GLT
      2005 V70R (Sadly sold)
      1995 850 (RIP saved kid in accident)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just bought a 2011 a bit over a week ago. Rigidity is really good with the top up. Have one slight rattle in the drivers door. Other than that, no problem.

Haven't driven with the top down yet. Been too cold. I'm sure it's going to lose a bit of its stiffness when that top comes down.

I am very happy with my purchase. I was thinking it was going to be an occasional car, but it's quickly turning into my daily driver.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
      Current Volvos: 1996 850 Platinum Wagon (her name is Pearl/we're still in love, but my son inherited her after flipping his 2004 V70 2.5T) 2006 S40i (daughter named him Ronnie and promptly blew up the motor....gave him to my nephew and he put in another motor...Ronnie's 3rd motor!) 1998 V70 T5M ( her name is Daisy, we are still getting to know each other)

You should go drive one, they are fun.

The rigidity with the top down is good. There's no cowl shake when driving which is something I've had in other convertibles I've owned in the past. Though those were smaller than this car.
      '06 XC70
      '14 XC90
      '06 C70

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks folks for the insight on the C70. I guess since this model is a purpose built convertible it does better than the models that were modified to become convertibles. I know a lot is based on the S40/50 platform but it sounds like they did these right. I'll have to get behind the wheel and see how one is in person. Thanks again.
      1994 854 Manual (sold)
      1997 854 GLT
      2005 V70R (Sadly sold)

The second generation (P1) C70 is much better than the first generation base on the 850/S70 platform. Little or no cowl shake and reasonable visibility with the top up. I just bought one a few weeks ago (MY13) and am very impressed with how nice it is to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      His: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD R-Design, Red, Black Nu-buck. Hers: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Silver, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2020 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum 6 passenger

I'm a recent buyer of a C70. An ex-GM employee who makes the C70 the last bought of 96 cars owned. ( Probably Too old to reach my boyhood goal of 100).
      Favorites:
      2003 Thunderbird
      1971 LS6 Corvette
      1993 Cadillac Allante N*
      2007 C70 T5
      2009 Saab 9-3
      Thinking this car will soon reach 1a or number 2 position.
      Might not make 100 owned but I absolutely guarantee a '11, '12, or '13 C70 will be in my garage before I go to the great Pull apart lot in the sky. Hopefully the '07 lasts for a number of years but then the hunt begins. Absolutely love everything about this car. You will not be disappointed. Go for it!

Great ride with top up or down. Luxurious with all the right buttons. Will go down the road at 80mph all day long. Comfortable long ride for many miles. Looking forward to see how she navigates in the winter. Snow tires all around mounted tomorrow.
      Last edited by wcoates; 11-11-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Pretty much in agreement with wcoates... taken mine to Florida twice and St Louis twice, and numerous less ambitious trips... far nicer than any other car I've driven that far... first time I took it to St Louis my plan for the journey back to Philadelphia was to keep going until I got tired of sitting in the car and then stop for an overnight at a highway exit hotel... that didn't begin to happen until I was less than an hour from home so I just kept on going... a bit squirrely on the little bit of snow we've had in the last couple of years but that was with all-seasons, and not bad enough to make me rush out to buy winter wheels ... will be doing my snow driving in my S60 this year
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Was able to put the top down for the 1st time yesterday. A little bit of cowl shake, but nothing alarming. I've wanted a convertible since High School. My junior year is when manufacturers began to bring back drop tops.

I was also surprised at how little wind buffeting around town. It was hard to wipe the smile off my face.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
      Current Volvos: 1996 850 Platinum Wagon (her name is Pearl/we're still in love, but my son inherited her after flipping his 2004 V70 2.5T) 2006 S40i (daughter named him Ronnie and promptly blew up the motor....gave him to my nephew and he put in another motor...Ronnie's 3rd motor!) 1998 V70 T5M ( her name is Daisy, we are still getting to know each other)

The first gen def had some cowl shake. Once they switched to the hardtop those complaints went away. Very nice machine. When we get one in stock nice enough to retail they rarely last longer than a week.

I've had both a 1st Gen and now a 2nd Gen c70, as well as a few other convertibles.

This is by far the best of them. I daily drive it all year round. No issues except a couple ice storms freezing up the side windows.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      11 C70 T5
      06 XC90 2.5T (SOLD)
      00 C70 CONVERTIBLE (SOLD)
      70 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE

Thanks for all the feedback on the 2nd gen cars. I am going to try and find a decent one so I can get a good idea of what the driving feel is like. And then set out to find me a keeper. I never saw one in person but the vanilla pearl is a great color on the computer. I'm sure not many of them are out there but it sure looks perfectly suited for the car.
      1994 854 Manual (sold)
      1997 854 GLT
      2005 V70R (Sadly sold)

Agree on everything said earlier on cowl shake and rattles. I've owned several convertibles over (way too many) years and the C70 is by far the tightest, especially top up. You should never expect any convertible to be as rigid and quiet as a closed car, but trust me a top-up C70 comes as close as I've ever experienced. I test drove a couple of 1st gen C70 and it was a real shaker...

As you drive ones out there, bear in mind that this car goes through struts and suspension bits faster than the lighter S40/C30. Depending on your driving style, there's also some torque steer, especially with Polestar or another tune. After almost 9 years in mine, I can attest to the impact of worn struts etc. on noises and rattles.
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 polestar | electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar, mods4cars smart top, volvotech vbb4 rear camera

Quote Originally Posted by m491 View Post
      I never saw one in person but the vanilla pearl is a great color on the computer. I'm sure not many of them are out there but it sure looks perfectly suited for the car.
      Yep, they don’t show up often. Here’s an ‘09 in ice white in the DC area if you’re interested. Too bad the dealer reviews are so awful. Definitely needs the TB replaced if it hasn’t been done yet. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7556810765456/

BD
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

Quote Originally Posted by wcoates View Post
      I'm a recent buyer of a C70. An ex-GM employee who makes the C70 the last bought of 96 cars owned. ( Probably Too old to reach my boyhood goal of 100).
      Favorites:
      2003 Thunderbird
      1971 LS6 Corvette
      1993 Cadillac Allante N*
      2007 C70 T5
      2009 Saab 9-3
      Thinking this car will soon reach 1a or number 2 position.
      Might not make 100 owned but I absolutely guarantee a '11, '12, or '13 C70 will be in my garage before I go to the great Pull apart lot in the sky. Hopefully the '07 lasts for a number of years but then the hunt begins. Absolutely love everything about this car. You will not be disappointed. Go for it!

Great ride with top up or down. Luxurious with all the right buttons. Will go down the road at 80mph all day long. Comfortable long ride for many miles. Looking forward to see how she navigates in the winter. Snow tires all around mounted tomorrow.
      96 cars, wow. I'm only at about 25 in the past 30 years and my wife thinks I'm out off control. I've got a long way to go yet.

11 C70 T5
      06 XC90 2.5T (SOLD)
      70 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE

I love the paint and color of my old girl (Pearl).. Definitely a favorite of mine..

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7138023[
      2012 C70 Inscription - Sapphire Black/Off Black
      2007 C70 - Pearl/Cream

We have both the first gen (2001) and second (2008). Although the 2008 is tighter, the build quality I have found is better on the 2001, and it is also a faster car (both are the T5 version). Both are good cars but we've had a bit more issues with the 2008. We've driven the 2001 over 160K miles so far including towing a trailer over long distances and it still drives like new.

It's criminal they ever shipped the much heavier 2.5T C70 with less power than the 2.3 HPT. Every P1 C70 from at least the facelift should have shipped with Polestar.

Every car should have a stage 1 tune installed. It's a bear to keep the wheels from spinning with the manual, though. May have the torque limits put on my stage 2.
      2009 Hilton Stage 2 C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Quaife LSD installed! Has anyone else noticed gear whir in 3rd and 4th? Or a "clunk" from the SPEC SMF and R clutch (or front LCA poly bushings?) at startup?
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k, seems no oil loss yet at 100k.

i've had my 2008 going into 8years now... it's my daily driver and i still love driving it every day. top-up it feels like a nice coupe and, as others have pointed out, you get the smile on your face the days you get to drop the top and feel like you're on vacation. much less cowel shake than the sebring? i've been given at rental places in the past. everything just feels solid (it does weight a ton)

there's a good chance i'll be giving the C70 up in 6-12 months though...planning to get an electric car...ford mach-e vs tesla y. but i am already missing the C70...

i love volvo seats and am worried...friends' teslas i've sat in (S and 3), the seats felt hard and uncomfortable. haven't sat in the mach-e yet but am hopeful. all the fancy tech in the world can't overcome not being comfortable especially if you plan to keep a car for a long time...

i've also done mods that, to me, make the C70 even more perfect. stage 1 tune gives it decent performance, 18" midirs are lovely to look at and improved the handling, ford e-focus mount tightened and quickened shifts, b8 struts & h&r springs makes it handle and corner in a way that inspires confidence when i feel sporty, replaced the halogens with HIDs so i can see, smartop makes using the top that much more pleasant. and as all things go vegan, my size 9 hands love the thick leather steering wheel wrap...will probably wrap the ford or tesla's steering wheel.

we'll see...

i'm sure i'll love the instant torque of electric and skipping the gas station visits, and all the tech that will be in the new car. but maybe it's just me getting older (mid 40s now), but there's something about familiarity and the simplicity of the C70s interior and controls (including hvac/radio) that just feels so great.

i just did a KBB check and am sad to see my 2008 w/105k is worth in the $6000 range (of course mods don't really help with KBB values, may even hurt).

but for the original poster, yes, you will find some great deals on this great car (P1 Volvo C70). check maintenance records for higher mileage cars...for instance, in the last couple of years, i did the timing belts, notorious leaking radiator hose and pcv/oil filter, ignition switch, as well as the shocks/springs...and enjoying summer tires, i go through a set every couple of years. so factor those type of things in when negotiating. but a well taken care of C70 will be reliable and a joy to own and drive for as long as you want it
      Last edited by jschinito; 12-04-2019 at 10:03 AM.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

smartop makes using the top that much more pleasant.

what is it?
      what does it do?
      where do you get it?
      how much?
      easy (owner) Install?

here’s a link to a thread about it:

“I sprung for the Mods4cars Smart Top module”
      https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Quote Originally Posted by wcoates View Post
      smartop makes using the top that much more pleasant.

what is it?
      what does it do?
      where do you get it?
      how much?
      easy (owner) Install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

It's a module that allows you to, among others things, open and close the top with you key fob. It plugs into the Cabin Roof Module in the trunk behind the liner on the right hand side near the antenna

Get it from Mods4Cars : http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...ode=view&id=86 It's a bit north of 300 bucks

Install is a bit fiddly because of the module being so tight in the trunk and tucked in behind the carpet lining, but no rocket science involved.... from memory you unplug two plugs from the car module. plug them into the supplied harness and plug the harness into the car module - almost impossible to dowrong, although I did manage to bend a pin on the CRM first attempt which caused considerable anguish for a few days
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

They also show up now and then in the forums, either here or the far sale forum. That’s how I got both of mine. You do need to splice into the wiring with 3M connectors in addition to the plugs, but it’s not too bad as long as you carefully distinguish between the wires (I can’t recall now if it was white with a red stripe or vice versa, but the online instructions are good about describing which is which).

As others have noted, it’s a tight fit with your hands and you have to do some of it a bit blind, but not awful to install. Well worth it when it’s done - DW was thrilled when I finally added it to hers.

BD
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:

The newer version of the smart top doesn't need to be spliced. The harness just plugs in.

It's my favorite upgrade.

11 C70 T5
      06 XC90 2.5T (SOLD)
      70 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRabbit View Post
      The newer version of the smart top doesn't need to be spliced. The harness just plugs in.

It's my favorite upgrade.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I had to go back to their website and grab the right install instructions for the used one I got from Socalc70 - pulled the updated version initially.

BD
      Last edited by 88domer; 12-05-2019 at 03:54 PM.
      Current Fleet:

RIP:

27. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements