panoramic moonroof foldable mesh sunshade (semi DIY)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

panoramic moonroof foldable mesh sunshade (semi DIY)

I've used a set of aftermarket foldable mesh sunshade for the side and rear windows of the SPA xc90 (link here). So far, I haven't found a vendor that sells one for the panoramic moonroof. I bought one that is sized for a different vehicle (Tesla Model 3), and made some adjustments to make it fit.

Here's the final result:
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Measuring the right size

Here's the shade intended for the large rear roof/window glass of the Model 3:

I flattened the shipping box for the shade and used it as a template. After a little bit more template trimming (fitting onto the xc90 moonroof area), here's how the cardboard template looks like:

And for reference, Amazon box "1BK" has just enough material to make a template

This will be used to trim the fabric mesh material

Pulling everything apart

The shade needs to be deconstructed so that the mesh and the metal frame around it can be trimmed to size.

There is a cover for where the frame fabric meets.

It covers a metal joint for the metal frame:

Continue removing the stitching of the protective fabric around the shade:

Open the metal joint by carefully twisting a very thin flathead screwdriver like so

... and gradually move on to a bigger screwdriver:

The metal frame isn't affixed by any other means

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Such workmanship and dedication. Five thumbs up, nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by acephoman View Post
      Such workmanship and dedication. Five thumbs up, nice job!
      Thank you. If someone sold a ready made one, I wouldn't bother. (it'll most likely be much tidier than my DIY)

Resizing the metal frame

Using the cardboard template, I re-straightened the metal frame, and then re-bend the metal frame to follow the perimeter like so:

There's approximately 16 1/3" excess material for our xc90 moonroof:

Important note:
      I realized too late that this fitment approach needs an additional crucial step. After everything has been fit like above, the edges need to be opened up, so that the metal frame would want to stretch the middle section of the long sides outward. This will counteract the fabric mesh' tendency to sag.

Trimming the metal frame and rejoining it

The metal frame looks to be made of some type of steel; ductile enough to be twisted for the mesh storage, but too hard to cut with metal shears. Cut to length (i.e. that ~16 1/3" excess) with a metal saw then..

Then, alternate between clamping the two edges together on a vise and hammering down the joint from the 2 flat sides as well as the edges.

Keep doing this until the joint feels very strong, and that the metal bars won't come apart when tugged with reasonable force. Later, I will make sure that the stitching of the fabric trim is extra secure in that area.

Securing the metal frame to the fabric mesh

With the fabric mesh laid on the floor, and then the cardboard template, and then the metal frame (that has been reshaped and cut to fit), we will secure the metal frame to the fabric mesh. It helps to secure the fabric mesh and metal frame to the cardboard template by placing clips around the perimeter:

Then, sew the metal frame onto the fabric mesh by threading the needle between the inner side of the metal frame and the edge of the cardboard, and then to the outside. Repeat many times to spiral around the perimeter of the sunshade like so; the stitch distance doesn't need to be small, just so that the metal frame and fabric are secured to one another.

With the cardboard removed, the metal frame and the fabric mesh are now attached to each other like this:

For good measure, I went over the metal joint area and made sure that the hand stitching has enough string tension so that the joint won't go anywhere. There wasn't anything special in the stitching around the joint of the original construction, so this might be overkill.

Sewing the fabric trim

Time to put the fabric trim (i.e. the long fabric material that covers the edge of the sunshade) back. Since it probably helps to have a very secure and tight stitch, I decided to cover most of it using a sewing machine. It was a learning experience (in terms of the setup and troubleshooting when the thread gets jammed in the machine etc.), but overall was much more efficient than hand stitching.

Somewhat ok considering that this was without prior experience. There were parts that needed fixing; didn't take pictures of those.

Here's how it looks like on the ground. Note that since I didn't set up the metal frame to bow outwards at the middle of the long sides, the mesh tension etc. makes the otherwise rectangular profile a little bit like Lexus' spindle grille

Adding magnets to compensate spindle grille effect & make attachment more secure

The metal frame was sized so that the edges push onto parts of the xc90 between the glass moonroof and the semi-opaque retractable shade. But it helps to add magnets somewhere in the middle to make the attachment more secure. Plus, it helps compensate for the spindle grille effect. Here's why:

The moonroof as-is, with minimal (OE) tint:

When the shade is affixed by the press-fit attachment of the metal frame, the middle edge shows the spindle grille opening:

I had some metal plates with magnets, but the thickness isn't sufficient for it to be attached on the rear glass _and_ at the same time in contact with the sunshade's metal frame. I cut a piece of acrylic like so:

And added automotive grade double-sided tape on both ends. One end will affix the acrylic to the moonroof's glass. The other end will affix the acrylic to the magnet (next to it).

It looks like this when fully attached:

Unfortunately, you can see that the frame pieces of the rear (non-moving) to the right of the magnet juts lower than the magnets, so the metal frame won't catch on.

After making necessary thickness adjustment (e.g. double the acrylic piece's thickness from what was shown above), the magnet keeps the shade in place, and with enough tension to not show the spindle grille effect too much

Fitment test & test drive

I took a test drive, including on the freeway (with 65mph speed limit) with the front glass panel retracted. The shade hasn't flown off, and seem to remain in place.

Front left corner pushes onto the moonroof opening just enough:

Same thing for the front right corner:

The shade sits close enough to the glass. The OE retractable sunshade has a few milimeter clearance to the bottom of the custom shade.

The custom shade doesn't interfere with the OE retractable sunshade.

That’s clever. How long did it take to make this?
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      That’s clever. How long did it take to make this?
      Longer than I thought, but the longest was brainstorming on what can fit between the (OE) glass panel and the OE retractable shade, and still keep them operational. Plus, I wanted whatever the solution is to be removable, mostly for use in summer mid-days. The next longest portion was me learning how to use a sewing machine and troubleshooting it when it jams etc. Next was figuring out that the Model 3's OE & aftermarket shade can be used as the starting material.

I posted pictures and notes above so that anyone interested can consider this approach, that is not needing to go through those 3 time consuming parts. Well, except that if you haven't used a sewing machine, or know someone that can help with the sewing, that still could take a while. The pictures of the template cardboard hopefully will also help.

Excluding those, breaking apart the Model 3's shade took about ~3/4hrs (it was slow in the beginning until you develop the best sequence of pulling the thread out & cutting it). Re-bending the metal frame to fit the xc90's shape took a bit less than that. Sawing the excess metal frame & re-joining took about the same time. Other steps in my previous posts other than the sewing took about the same. So, if you have the parts and tools ready, it could be done within half a day.

On a related note; as your SPA is the xc60; a spa v60 I drove recently seem to have very similar moonroof construction as my spa xc90. I didn't take measurements so I'm not sure whether or not my template above translates directly to the spa *60 series. Chances are the 1BK amazon cardboard (which my Model 3 shade was shipped in) is still a good starting point.
      Last edited by satrya; 11-09-2019 at 11:24 AM.

First, most impressive effort. Well done. While I understand adding the shade to the side windows, why did you make this for the panoramic window? Was the OEM cover not sufficient in blocking the sun? The other day we test drove a Tesla X and the one thing my wife objected to was the very large glass windshield. Even though it had tint she still felt the amount of glare was too much. Apparently Tesla agrees and has a foldable screen that fits over the upper windshield. If we got the car I would just have the upper window tinted rather than adding the screen.
      Last edited by drmanny3; 11-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gone
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars) gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2005 and 2006 Prius both gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      1999 Lexus GS400 Exhaust, Intake, ECU Chipped gone
      1991 NSX Exhaust gone after 5 years
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      First, most impressive effort. Well done. While I understand adding the shade to the side windows, why did you make this for the panoramic window? Was the OEM cover not sufficient in blocking the sun?
      Thank you. Different passengers (family & friends) have had differing preferences.

Most of my passengers agreed that the OE retractable shade is opaque enough, in that one no longer can take in the scenery (e.g. driving along redwoods) when the shade is deployed but that it sufficiently blocks unwanted light. The OE glass panel is not dark enough for some, but lets too much sun for others. When I added tint, most don't complain until winter time, when it feels like the tint is a tad too dark. Removing the extra tint every winter (and the occasional run through parks with worthwhile scenery to look through the moonroof from) and reapplying it every summer doesn't seem like a good solution. I had tint added to the glass roof and had to apply-remove-reapply twice for the past 2 years because of these situational tradeoffs. That's why I wanted to find a different solution. I even considered installing custom "plantation-style" blinds, but the roof's curvature (both longitudinally and transversely) make it almost impossible to fabricate a DIY solution.

Since I've had good experience with the side window foldable shades in addressing this similar topic, I figured I wanted to give it a try. This gives me several options and benefits:
      (1) Opaque moonroof when the OE retractable shade and the foldable shade are deployed
      (2) Very light tint when the OE retractable shade is retracted, and the foldable shade isn't used; light tint is from the OE glass roof only
      (3) Between 1 & 2 by adding the foldable shade
      (4) When the front glass panel is open, the foldable shade seem to provide reasonable mesh cover to the moonroof opening. Good for bug screen when parked.

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      First, most impressive effort. Well done. While I understand adding the shade to the side windows, why did you make this for the panoramic window? Was the OEM cover not sufficient in blocking the sun? T.
      For me, OEM cover not sufficient in blocking California sun. I would have preferred solid roof over the feeling of been slowly broiled in traffic jam.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements