Auto Pilot
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Auto Pilot

Auto Pilot

I had my windshield replaced yesterday at a Volvo dealer and when riding home I turned on the auto pilot . It seems my auto is riding almost along the right line on a parkway in my area. If I remember correctly it used to ride almost in the center of my lane. I called the dealer but he said there wasn't really much to adjust for this. Has anyone else used autopilot and if so which part of a lane did it track in? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Generally I find it tracks the right side in two way traffic. If it's a multi lane highway then it can find center more in the other lanes.

Volvo has Auto Pilot ? Or are we talking about lane departure system?
      2020 V60 CC

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      Volvo has Auto Pilot ? Or are we talking about lane departure system?
      They call it Pilot Assist -

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...~/pilot-assist

Itís also in the manual even if you donít have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by antmen View Post
      They call it Pilot Assist -

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...~/pilot-assist

Itís also in the manual even if you donít have it.

Thank you for that, as I thought just like almost every new car they have pilot assistance options just like Audi calls them driver assistance. This is however not a ďauto pilot ď but a support / assistant in case you get tired or loose concentration for a second. Itís a mixture of lane departure systems and adaptive cruise control.

You do understand that pilot assist and Auto pilot are two completely different systems and definitions correct?
      2020 V60 CC

Thank you for that, as I thought just like almost every new car they have pilot assistance options just like Audi calls them driver assistance. This is however not a ďauto pilot ď but a support / assistant in case you get tired or loose concentration for a second. Itís a mixture of lane departure systems and adaptive cruise control.

You do understand that pilot assist and Auto pilot are two completely different systems and definitions correct?
      You do know Tesla calls it autopilot and it's the same thing? It's not just lane departure... it's a level II autonomous vehicle and works up to over 80 mph.

Wrong. Both are proprietary names for autonomous driving systems in various implementations. Did you ask the question as a gotcha question or are you willing to learn and research? Typical forum behavior.

It is called Pilot assist but my real concern is if anyone else has this option and are driving on a 3 lane highway do they notice the car goes center or right when they turn it on. I am sure that before the window replacement it always went center and now it goes to the right lane marking and can get hairy like the car will go off the road.

It really depends on the road and the markings. If i'm in the far left lane, solid line on the left and dashed on the right on a multilane highway it hugs the left line, if i'm in the middle lane dashed both sides it centers well
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

I feel like mine is always pulling to the left, no matter what lane Iím in.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Seems to be a mix for me, no clear pattern that i can tell yet. I do know that when the lines go away, or are worn, it gives up (which is understandable). I got the Advanced Pkg primarily for the 360 degree camera and Adaptive Cruise Control, but i have messed with Pilot Assist a lot. My take is that real hands off autonomous driving is 1) very complicated, given the state of our road system and 2) likely a long way off, which is kind of a bummer. Pilot Assist is a pretty good step towards the end goal, though, although my opinion (MY opinion - yours may differ which is fine) is that it's almost more of a novelty in it's current form, except the Adaptive cruise control works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by antmen View Post
      Wrong. Both are proprietary names for autonomous driving systems in various implementations. Did you ask the question as a gotcha question or are you willing to learn and research? Typical forum behavior.

Autonomous driving really? I think you using the word but donít understand what it means.

Tesla doesnít own ďauto pilotĒ and this is not what I was referencing.

But unless the Volvo can switch lanes, makes turns in city, get in and off highway and merge safely to mention some actions itís not autonomous driving.
      2020 V60 CC

I'ts level II autonomous vehicle when equipped with Pilot Assist... It was clear what the OP was asking about. It's an industry definition. You're like one of those folks who gets on and yells at folks for calling an internal combustion engine a motor aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      You do know Tesla calls it autopilot and it's the same thing? It's not just lane departure... it's a level II autonomous vehicle and works up to over 80 mph.
      You all have your definition and names mixed up...

Volvo is at Level 2óPartial Automation not lv 2 autonomous

ďAutomatedĒ and ďautonomousĒ
      ďAutopilotĒ and ďpilot assistĒ

Are not the same.

This is not Tesla vs Volvo debate this is using the wrong name discussion.
      Last edited by Kamil; 11-09-2019 at 01:49 PM.
      2020 V60 CC

I'ts level II autonomous vehicle when equipped with Pilot Assist... It was clear what the OP was asking about. It's an industry definition. You're like one of those folks who gets on and yells at folks for calling an internal combustion engine a motor aren't you?
      Sorry this is not industrial name you are confused as I stated above you want to know the correct names then do some research... Iíll help you this is ur first link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tru...-vehicles/amp/

And you are correct motor and engine is not the same, you would correct someone if they call a chicken a duck but somehow this is wrong?
      2020 V60 CC

this is using the wrong name discussion.
      No, no it's not. This is a discussion of how pilot assist acts per the OP's question. A semantics argument is not needed one bit, feel free to make your own thread for that and quit derailing this one.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

I can google and find links that use the term automation and autonomous.... You can call a chicken and a duck both a bird and be correct, and calling a Mallard a Wood is just as wrong. You're using a highly specific definition that is not either the SAE standard for either automated or autonomous nor the colloquial standard and just being an ass... and I'm not longer talking about farm animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      No, no it's not. This is a discussion of how pilot assist acts per the OP's question. A semantics argument is not needed one bit, feel free to make your own thread for that and quit derailing this one.
      You are correct, my apologies for going of subject.
      2020 V60 CC

I can google and find links that use the term automation and autonomous.... You can call a chicken and a duck both a bird and be correct, and calling a Mallard a Wood is just as wrong. You're using a highly specific definition that is not either the SAE standard for either automated or autonomous nor the colloquial standard and just being an ass... and I'm not longer talking about farm animals.
      Got to love the current society, only in In your world a wrong answer and correct answer are both correct. Then if you canít justify or have a debate you results to name calling.

Again the only one that is not using the correct names is you I attached a link to show you that but you donít want to read it

This is a link from SAE on Taxonomy and Definitions for Terms Related to Driving Automation Systems for On-Road Motor Vehicles

But Iím sure you not gone read it at all but attack me as a person or call me more names 😉

https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j3016_201806/

As I donít want to hijacked the thread this is the last time Iím going to post on this on here thank you

I'm not saying that your automation phrasing is incorrect, but autonomous is also correct.. and frankly from a dictionary standard makes more sense, hence the common usage. You are being far too specific in your definitions. An engine IS a motor. A duck IS a bird. A Volvo with Pilot assist IS a autonomous vehicle. Not fully autonomous, but that was never in question. You can look at the history of autopilot for aviation and see the term in common usage far before it could control all functions of flight. There can be more specific ways to define all those things, but none are necessary for all conversations. As there was zero confusion to the topic, demanding such specificity is incorrect...

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      I feel like mine is always pulling to the left, no matter what lane Iím in.
      In my XC40, I feel Pilot Assist rides closer to the left side... just a tad off center.
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

It feels like this entire thread is pulling to the right ... :-)

I have Pilot Assist on my 2020 V60 CC. When engaged, the vehicle is centered in the lane like itís on a rail.

Replacement windshield glass requires recalibration of adaptive cruise system cameras/software so I would think this would also apply to something like Pilot Assist. The OP states the windshield was replaced by the dealership; if OE glass was used and Volvo service procedures were followed, youíd expect the vehicleís behavior to be the same before and after the fix.

I find the Pilot Assist in my 2019 S60 tends to keep a bit further to the right than I normally do when steering manually. It could either be that I manually keep to the left and Pilot Assist is more centered or that I manually center the car and Pilot Assist drives more to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin880 View Post
      It is called Pilot assist but my real concern is if anyone else has this option and are driving on a 3 lane highway do they notice the car goes center or right when they turn it on. I am sure that before the window replacement it always went center and now it goes to the right lane marking and can get hairy like the car will go off the road.
      Can u check from the front of the vehicle if the camera on the intellisense is at the center of the small opening in the window tint? OR may be any of the cameras in the front (in the grill area, right below the Volvo emblem) is blocked by dirt or anything like that?

Any time you have the windshield replaced, you need to have the cameras re-calibrated. I had the same issue when having my windshield replaced by SafeLite. My pilot assist was tracking the car to the left side of the lane. I brought the car to the dealer and had the cameras re-calibrated. Problem solved.
      2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Inscription - Premium, Vision, Advanced, Harman Kardon, Heated Seats/Steering Wheel, Denim Blue
      2017 Volvo XC90 T6 R Design (OSD 01-09-17) - Bowers and Wilkins, Convenience, Vision, Climate W/HUD, Air Suspension, Tow Bar, Polestar, Bursting Blue
      First Car - 1967 Volvo 144S

Words are important, both how they are defined, and how they are used. Had a similar discussion taken place, with the right people in the room, at Boeing, regarding MCAS(manuvering characteristics augmentation system) installed on the 737MAX, before the airplane was certified and delivered to the first customer, two crashes would have been avoided, and several hundred people would still be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      Words are important, both how they are defined, and how they are used. Had a similar discussion taken place, with the right people in the room, at Boeing, regarding MCAS(manuvering characteristics augmentation system) installed on the 737MAX, before the airplane was certified and delivered to the first customer, two crashes would have been avoided, and several hundred people would still be alive.

Thanks for the input.

Iím very sorry on the outcome in that situation.

Iím also in the Automation space and maybe thatís why you and I are more aware of the correct words / definitions and are more triggered by the misuse and confusion.

What doesnít help is a manufacture calling their system a auto pilot and itís not even close...
      Last edited by Kamil; 11-13-2019 at 06:05 PM.
      2020 V60 CC

My 2017 XC90's "Pilot Assist" Tracks Well, on Center

For me, the "Pilot Assist" has been a wonderful help on long trips. It keeps me well-centered in the lane even in light snow or heavy rain. It's rare that I remove my hands from the wheel; but it's also rare that I have to push back against the centering of the system. It relieves tension; so I'm less on edge and can stay more alert over the long haul. Of course I don't rely completely on the system - any more than I would rely on a horse to carry me home without reigns - but it helps a lot.

Interestingly, my XC90's tracking ability improved markedly after a software update about a year ago. I haven't replaced its windshield, and I can't offer input on possible misalignment of sensors; but I can say that Volvo got it right on mine...

My two cents. Cheers.

Thanks for the input.

Iím very sorry on the outcome in that situation.

Iím also in the Automation space and maybe thatís why you and I are more aware of the correct words / definitions and are more triggered by the misuse and confusion.

What doesnít help is a manufacture calling their system a auto pilot and itís not even close...

Quote Originally Posted by Kayjaysr View Post
      For me, the "Pilot Assist" has been a wonderful help on long trips. It keeps me well-centered in the lane even in light snow or heavy rain. It's rare that I remove my hands from the wheel; but it's also rare that I have to push back against the centering of the system. It relieves tension; so I'm less on edge and can stay more alert over the long haul. Of course I don't rely completely on the system - any more than I would rely on a horse to carry me home without reigns - but it helps a lot.

Interestingly, my XC90's tracking ability improved markedly after a software update about a year ago. I haven't replaced its windshield, and I can't offer input on possible misalignment of sensors; but I can say that Volvo got it right on mine...

My two cents. Cheers.

Not sure why you quote me?

I think you were thinking that Iím taking about Volvo with the last statement?

If you are this just proves my point on using the correct names.

ďAutopilotĒ is Tesla product name in automotive industry
      ďPilot assistĒ is Volvo name of product
      ďDriver assistance systems ď Or DAP package Audi
      ďHonda SensingĒ Honda

All of the above are Level 2 Ė Partial Automation

I am also a big fan of all of this systems as long as you have the option to manually overwritten them if needed.

And as long as they are properly marketed and explained to new drivers.

The lack of training, explanations, and improper marketing of these systems literally killed people, and injured many others.

Speaking directly at Tesla the way itís named, marketed, and demonstrated is that a auto pilot is a fully autonomous systems capable of driving without operator input, supervision, or support. That is not the case whatsoever.

Creating more potential danger then help.

Good article to read is

https://ride.tech/self-driving/does-...SAAEgLLL_D_BwE

From above

Naming the system ďAutopilotĒ conjures up the notion of fully self-driving capability in some peopleís minds. Commercial aircraft fly over whole continents using ďAutopilot,Ē after all. And even if Tesla owners read all the legalese connected with Autopilot and read their ownerís manual cover-to-cover, non-owners can and will drive Autopilot-equipped Teslas without the benefit of having read all the warnings.

In 2018, in Northern California, a nasty crash involving a Tesla Model X resulted in a fatality when the driver had engaged Autopilot, but the SUV hit a barrier. In fact, Tesla was subsequently kicked off of the National Traffic Safety Board (NTSB) after it divulged information about the circumstances immediately before the crash, and seemingly shifted blame onto the driver.

There have been other fatal cases involving Teslaís Autopilot system, including the 2016 case of Joshua Brown in Florida, in which the Model S that he was driving crashed with Autopilot engaged. Granted, Brown had abdicated his responsibility to actually drive the car because he was allegedly watching a movie on an iPad instead of driving, but this illustrates the overarching point precisely.
      Last edited by Kamil; 11-13-2019 at 09:32 PM.
      2020 V60 CC

any more than I would rely on a horse to carry me home without reigns
      And you people are arguing about the exactitude of words? What a joque.

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements