SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Zoinks' 1998 V70R - An Adventure Tail

22K views 249 replies 25 participants last post by  tonyc 
#1 ·
Well, you all groomed me really well. I picked up another daily driver/little project to replace the old V70, and I finally get to experience the maintenance heavy awd system everyone's been telling me to avoid!! LOL

It's pretty mint for the price I scored it at, some pilling in the alcantara and some cracks in the leather but no rips or tears. and the body is AMAZINGLY clean and straight, two dings and not a spec of rust. I'll be paying more for a nice parking spot now too ;). Timing belt has been done, awd system has been serviced and is functioning, fuel pump has been replaced so there's a hole back there but they 'tastefully' cut the hole. The fuel pump is very audible in the cabin which I assume is a function of the hole. The PO swapped a '99+ dual exit exhaust and bumper which I LOVE, duals look so much more mean than a single exit.

There is some business to attend to; PCV & a rear cam seal, oil change with castrol full synthetic, ignition system overhaul, cabin & intake filters, a full brake job and maybe a heater core. Then it needs a wang, '98 roof rails, jewels + LED's, rubber floor mats, and new vacuum lines for good measure! I've been sitting on a couple pairs of 302 mm brackets so it'll be getting those, and potentially a set of stainless steel/ some coated brake rotors from a supplier in Chicago that came recommended from the seller.

I ultimately want to m58 swap this bad boy, but I am going to drive it/refine it over the course of the next year or two as-is to see how I like the awd system compared to my 850r. I'm really glad to be back in a wagon, and a p80 to boot! I've been getting incredibly intimate with the platform for teh last few years and I'm glad I stayed in the generation for the first car I legitimately see myself owning long term.

See less See more
#165 ·
LOL yeah that's definitely not supposed to be there.

I think those radio antennae receivers can fail; I have really bad reception in my 850R and it's all correctly connected.

#167 ·
#172 ·
Another question, I've only began to realize how extra slow this VR is compared to other p80 VR's. What's the best option to replace the CBV diaphragm? The only options I've found in my initial search is the IPD kit and I'm hesitant to order that.

Secondly, is the procedure for adjusting the wastegate arm in this () IPD video the correct procedure?

Lastly, are M4.X TCV's different from 850 to X70? The TCV (or as the IPD video labels it as a Boost Control Solenoid/BCS) I've found for this VR is Pierburg 9155936, but the only part number I've found for my 850 is discontinued (1271630 which is superseded by 3531086, both discontinued via Volvo Parts Webstore). The CBV is the same between the two becasue they're both TD04 based turbos, but does the TCV (or BCS if I'm using the wrong term) change from 850 to X70?

Pic of the Pierburg 9155936 TCV:

#174 ·
All the X70 TCV's are the same, but the reason I asked is because FCP listed the above pictured TCV as only fitting X70's and I was wondering if that was correct or if it also fits 850's (specifically my 850 lol)

Have you used any CBV diaphragm?

#175 ·
I put the IPD CBV in my 850 R, it was pretty good, albeit it was the “stock one”. Power felt like it should have. Unfortunately there’s not another choice other than the Volvo kit which is $$$.

#176 ·
I put the IPD CBV in my 850 R, it was pretty good, albeit it was the "stock one". Power felt like it should have. Unfortunately there's not another choice other than the Volvo kit which is $$$.
I think that's what I'll be going with. Although the MN guys are talking about a forge unit... so I might shop around. But the IPD Kit cost it's unbeatable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#177 ·
Also, the two bolts by the ash tray (shout out [mention]Galaxie64 [/mention] ) WORKED!! The dash is loose and will be coming out tomorrow morning!! SO glad to finally sort out the AC!!

#178 ·
#179 ·
I am naturally hesitant to run any 'aftermarket' solution IPD sells outside of maybe sway bars. But I really want to replace the diaphragm, not the spring. I'd likely retain the the spring that came off the stock application.

Did you investigate that diaphragm itself or only the spring?

#183 ·
The car phone stuff that's installed on this car seems well done and well tucked, but it's a f***ing rats nest of audio wires that I don't have a clue what they are lol
download a wiring diagram

#185 ·
This is the latest of the progress that was made over the weekend:

Got the Climate Control Unit back in the car and mounted up, along with the cruise control diaphragm by the gas pedal, the blower motor & resistor back in, and the various modules reconnected to the main harness.

There's a pesky zero force clip (the type with the purple pull tab) on the passenger/starboard footwell that got in the way of getting the unit back in but it went fairly well. The evap doesn't have the same exact location of the connections as the original, but it fit with a little persuasion. Luckily there is slack build into the forward mounting bolt of the AC line.

OH, I nearly forgot. I replaced the orifice tube, and holy s*** that thing was dirty. Glad I swapped it out.

However, I did discover that I am just straight up missing the passenger side knee crash bar structure. Maybe a PO removed it for a map pocket or something but I need to source that and another HVAC routing duct from the yard.

#188 · (Edited)
What were you working on? It's still in pieces in the garage, waiting for the next weekend I'm home from campus.

Lol I should have just looked at your thread :facepalm:

I'm excited to hear how you like the dynamatt, I REALLY want to do that on this one to quite the road noise. I also want to refinish my bumpers like you too lol. And have you seen how Neal got extra bolstering in his VR seats in his project 850R track build? That's wicked too

#187 ·
I fully deleted the knee bolsters on both sides in my 850R. My understanding is they are there for dumbass Americans who don't wear seat belts. Given that wearing seat belts is required in my cars, I couldn't figure out what they would do in a crash other than put something closer to my legs that could hit me sooner than if there was nothing there at all (nor could either of the other two or three engineers I discussed this with), hence my deletion.

#189 ·
I'm hesitant to delete them, I remember people mentioning they have something to do with airbag deployment way back when map pockets were all the rage. Man, that's when I first got into whiteblocks. What a memory lol

Regardless I'm going to leave them in and reinstall the passenger side bar with a straight, un-crashed junkyard piece

#198 ·
Here's my bolster bit: When I bought my V70, it had a weird steering wheel shake at highway speeds. Tires, alignment and all new suspension stuff didn't fix it.

From my my parts car, I installed the front passenger map pocket "upgrade" and deleted the passenger knee bolster. Huh, more squeaks and rattles in the dash than before. I noticed that my parts car had a bolster on the driver side too, my car never had one, I realized the PO had removed it. On a whim, I decided to re-install the driver side bolster, and guess what?! My highway steering wheel shake was gone! I promptly re-installed the passenger side bolster and never looked back. I never put anything useful in that pocket anyway. YMMV.

#205 ·
I'm finally back in this car, after the months long effort to restore AC. And, as I predicted, just in time for me to not need AC anymore. But there are still a couple nagging issues I want to fix with this car, so any insight would be useful;

1) The radio still doesn't work, even after cleaning up the wiring from all the aftermarket stuff that was added. It's still the same issue that only the radio doesn't work, disc changer works (haven't tested cassette player). I'm assuming it's an issue with the antenna. I checked the connections to the antennas on the rear glass, but the connections all seem fine, am I overlooking anything?

2) After the dash removal and replacement, the steering wheel shakes like crazy. Not rotationally, like a wheel imbalance, but rather vertically like its now unsupported. I think my issue is the same as Johns,

Here's my bolster bit: When I bought my V70, it had a weird steering wheel shake at highway speeds. Tires, alignment and all new suspension stuff didn't fix it.

From my my parts car, I installed the front passenger map pocket "upgrade" and deleted the passenger knee bolster. Huh, more squeaks and rattles in the dash than before. I noticed that my parts car had a bolster on the driver side too, my car never had one, I realized the PO had removed it. On a whim, I decided to re-install the driver side bolster, and guess what?! My highway steering wheel shake was gone! I promptly re-installed the passenger side bolster and never looked back. I never put anything useful in that pocket anyway. YMMV.
Is there a solution outside of replacing the crash bar? If not it'll be going back on.

3) After being in the C30 for awhile, it seems like my windows are excessively slow to roll up & down. Any fix for this? I've googled around but haven't found anything conclusive

#199 ·
Got some work done on this thing last weekend, took out all the cell phone junk (which included an add-a-fuse, which I hope was the cause of my non-functioning radio) and the knee bolsters.

Got the rear end all back together and looking like a real car again! Hopefully this thing will be running again (and with AC) before the end of the summer [emoji15]

But I plan on going back to work on it again this weekend, with the plan of getting it all back together and running!

#201 ·
Good eye! That's one of the Minnesota special plates to support environmental conservation, rather popular in the local Volvo group. I have one on the 850 too [emoji23]

#202 ·
More progress!!

And done!! Started right up and the airbags didn't pop!

However, I ripped a vacuum line off of something, the secondary air system..?

There's the nipple off of it that the vacuum line came off of,

This is what the purple vac line runs to, a turbo control valve? I've never noticed this before, but all these vacuum lines need replacing.

#206 ·
I don't buy that explanation for the steering shake.

#210 ·
Put that bolster back in and see what happens! That's the only way you'll know for sure.

#211 ·
Yup, I agree and that's my plan. Unfortunately I didn't save the bolster when I un-installed it. Of course. So now I'm hunting for one. I'm also going to heed your advice and reinstall the passenger side knee bolster to try and mitigate any dash rattles. This VR doesn't have many but might as well right!

#212 ·
I'm not super sure the passenger side bolster really did that much for the squeaks I had/ still have, but I have a really good feeling that re-installing the driver side bolster will help with your steering wheel shake. Especially since mine did the EXACT same up/ down shake. I was boggled by it for some time after replacing EVERY part that would potentially cause a steering wheel shake. I have never felt a steering wheel shake like that before.

#213 ·
I'll start with only the drivers side. I don't have a map pocket so if I happen upon a passenger side bolster I'd throw it in to see if there is a difference. But I'm ready for this steering wheel shake to be over, it is the vertical shake exactly like you describe. I've also never seen anything like it. I checked above the kick panel and there's nothing loose that could remedy it

But also your t5m looks like quite the build. Did you have a local exhaust shop make your exhaust? I need to find a shop to fix some exhaust leaks I have lol

#214 ·
I was about to say "Get a Simons" and then I realized that this is for your R lol

Still absolutely mystified by this steering wheel thing.

#216 ·
I wish it were that easy! The main issue is when my downpipe broke after the cat from awhile back. I just want it not rigged together anymore lol. But now that the 850R is sold I have funds to continue to make this better while perfecting the t5. I don't have Thermo lab today so I'm going to dig further into why my radio isn't getting signal. Going to check antenna connections

I still haven't gotten another knee bolster to replace the one I removed. The 850's in a yard I went to were drastically different, 4 bolt mounting vs 6 bolt mounting.

#215 ·
Yes, the exhaust was done by a local shop. It was installed by the previous owner so I'm not exactly sure how much he paid, nor am I positive what type of muffler was used. It's 3" all the way back instead of necking down to 2.5" like most other systems. I absolutely love the sound, though it is a bit obnoxious on long highway drives.

#218 ·
Finally sourced a knee bolster (thanks bmdubya) and attempted to install it after class today, but couldn't get the left side mount bolts in behind the lower part of the dash. Will attempt when I have more time and don't have to study for exams lol At least I also finally got a rear passenger interior light! I felt defeated after not getting in the bolster so that was a nice little victory

In other fun news, the VR has developed a fuel leak. I dropped both of the fuel line covers (the one that runs the length of the car, and the one that is more of a splash guard just in front of the tank) to see that my lines are crusty as hell. I've always feared dropping the rear subframe and now I don't really have a choice.

I'm starting to build a parts list of bushings to replace while I'm in there, but one big question I have is where to source the quick connect fittings to the sending unit from? Others replace the factory metal lines with 5/16" nylon line, which I also plan on doing, but I couldn't find a source for the quick connections. Any other input as to what else should I replace when I'm in there? I'm highly considering replacing/upgrading the fuel pump and it seems like a dw300 would fit fairly well, would only need to extend the pickup length.

Besides the fuel leak this VR is getting really close to getting good. Almost time to make it start going faster! I have a new in box mototec dual exit catback for it too that I scored in a parts haul! I was shocked to find it local lol

#219 ·
Radiator sprung a small seal leak so before my big move in a couple weeks I decided to replace it. Following these instructions.

View attachment Volvo 855 Radiator Replacment.pdf

Everything was going really smoothly until I took apart the radiator/intercooler pack after removing it from the car.

One of the intercooler mounting brackets fell off during uninstall.

The other side mount wasn't too far from falling off ether.

So I decided to re-adhere the mounts back to the stock intercooler. The factory attachment appears to be a combination of adhesive and bent tabs (I assume for location purposes). So I went with basically a windshield sealant/adhesive. That way it will still be rubbery to isolate vibrations, but also hold the mounts on without the locating tabs.

This would have been the perfect time to swap in a snabb/do88 unit but I think I'll just be sticking with the stock intercooler for now. I'm gonna call both snabb and do88 (if they have reps to talk to that is) and see about shipping timing to see if I can get it before the end of next week. If shipping is doable then I might make the upgrade. Are there other considerations to know before ordering, maybe regarding fitment?

I'll be moving into a large 2 car garage so I'll have plenty of room to take it all back apart and upgrade at a later date and after more research into the process. So luckily I have options lol

Anywho, while the adhesive is setting I wanted to do the PCV with everything already apart. However I realize that I've never done a PCV on a car with a SAS system. Or at least I have never realized it if I have. I was going to follow this guide, but don't have the IAC hose to replace or the SAS injection check valve gasket to replace. Should I still try to get it done or hold off for those two pieces? I'll look at my dealer to see if I can get them tomorrow too.

View attachment PCV repair.pdf

I don't have any CEL's with the SAS system so I don't think I'd need to delete it (yet), but that's something I could do down the line if it does fail.

#221 ·
So THAT'S what those brackets are! My car came to me with a Snabb FMIC. I have a parts stack that includes the old intercooler and those brackets are in it. Never had a clue what they are.

There are a number of d088 distributors in North America, I bought from EuroSportTuning and I got my new do88 intercooler and piping reasonably quick.

There is nothing major to get it to fit, but you'll have to do some fiddling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.