SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Zoinks' 1998 V70R - An Adventure Tail

22K views 249 replies 25 participants last post by  tonyc 
#1 ·
Well, you all groomed me really well. I picked up another daily driver/little project to replace the old V70, and I finally get to experience the maintenance heavy awd system everyone's been telling me to avoid!! LOL

It's pretty mint for the price I scored it at, some pilling in the alcantara and some cracks in the leather but no rips or tears. and the body is AMAZINGLY clean and straight, two dings and not a spec of rust. I'll be paying more for a nice parking spot now too ;). Timing belt has been done, awd system has been serviced and is functioning, fuel pump has been replaced so there's a hole back there but they 'tastefully' cut the hole. The fuel pump is very audible in the cabin which I assume is a function of the hole. The PO swapped a '99+ dual exit exhaust and bumper which I LOVE, duals look so much more mean than a single exit.

There is some business to attend to; PCV & a rear cam seal, oil change with castrol full synthetic, ignition system overhaul, cabin & intake filters, a full brake job and maybe a heater core. Then it needs a wang, '98 roof rails, jewels + LED's, rubber floor mats, and new vacuum lines for good measure! I've been sitting on a couple pairs of 302 mm brackets so it'll be getting those, and potentially a set of stainless steel/ some coated brake rotors from a supplier in Chicago that came recommended from the seller.

I ultimately want to m58 swap this bad boy, but I am going to drive it/refine it over the course of the next year or two as-is to see how I like the awd system compared to my 850r. I'm really glad to be back in a wagon, and a p80 to boot! I've been getting incredibly intimate with the platform for teh last few years and I'm glad I stayed in the generation for the first car I legitimately see myself owning long term.

See less See more
#54 ·
Ride height looks even. Where's your corner light?
Good question, lost it on the drive home from wisco when I first bought it. Been looking for an extra locally, but also not looking too hard Incase I get jewels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#57 ·
you're inbox was full however long ago so I got a set locally. However, on the drive back to Milwaukee instead of loosing the entire turn signal assembly I only lost the lens :confused: so that's been fun. Is that offer still open?

#58 ·
Also, I had a lil panic last week, got in the car to go to my girlfriends parents place for dinner to the brake failure light on. At first I didn't realize it and thought my parking brake light was on LOL, but it was actually my rear driers side brake hose that was kinked from my caliper job and sprung a leak, thankfully overnight.

Unfortunately I don't have the facilities on campus to do that level of work, mainly needed a torch to loosed the hardline side of the flex hose, and brought it to one of the local indys. I think Cyberbyte actually recommended him to me

But the indy was good to me and got it back to me, with both rear hoses replaced, the next day. Kills me that I had to pay someone to do what I enjoy doing though

#60 ·
Nothing fancy, still the OEM 027 nivomats but I just dug long and hard to get them for as cheap as possible. Turned out a dealer in Arizona had them listed as overstocked (???) and I got them for like $175 each from their amazon seller page. But they took about a month to ship

#61 · (Edited)
So I bought a second hand set of 17x8" Bremmer Kraft BR09 wheels locally for cheaaap to get a good looking summer wheel, but they have a centerbore of 79.5mm and therefore I need hub rings all around. But because I still have free professional labor at my universities shop (and custom spacers are expensive) I want to design my own rings/spacers to run the wheels. During my design process I want to bounce my ideas off of you all to better refine my considerations.

A pic I stole off google because I have none

Initially, I got some of the wheel specs from the manufacturer to get these dimensions:
Hub ring OD= 79.5 mm *
Hub ring ID= 65.1 mm *
Hub ring Axial height= >10 mm **

If a spacer is incorporated:
Mounting Face Diameter= 147.0 mm
Lug Bolt Clearance Hole Diameter= 13.0/13.5 mm @ 108 mm diameter
Spacer Axial height= 5/10 mm ***

Material: 6061 T6511 Aluminum ****

* These are simply the dimensions of the hubs on p80's and the centerbore of the wheel. I'm not sure of the clearance to design in for the fit I want. I don't want any difficult fit (press or precise or anything), simply a sliding fit that can be rotated to align the lug holes while on the hub. Using https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/mechanical-tolerances/ansi-fit-tolerances.htm ~0.5 mm and a chamfer seems like a doable locational clearance fit.

** Due to the recommendation that any spacer over 10mm should be hubcentric, the ring height should be at least 10 mm

*** The BR09's have an offset of 45mm, marginally different than the 46mm other 17x8" OEM have. Because of this I'm going with one of the more popular spacer heights and extended studs, was planning 5 mm but why not bump it to 10 mm ;)

**** This material is what mcmaster car has listed, because it's a spacer and not an adapter I'm not too worried about material temper/treatment

Does anyone think the designed spacing seems too tight for what this peice is going to be?

I also want to incorporate a countersunk rotor bolt instead of the guide pin because it doesn't fit under the new wheels. That'll come later though

This is what it'll look like. Like a normal spacer with a larger hub ring lol pretty basic

#62 ·
Man this thing cleans up nice! I gotta wire up my side marker lights one of these days, but before that a front wheel hub is getting installed and I'm gonna attempt to finally put my front braided lines on without fubaring the flare fittings.

#67 ·
I knew the wheel hub was FUBAR'd for a bit and finally got around to replacing it. Scared the **** out of my dad and I when it just fell apart when the axle hit came off [emoji15]

Then the fam went to a 1930's speakeasy because the hub job only took us 2 hours (!!!) and we had extra time to blow.

Also, I really want to start building a little liquor collection for when I have friends over and we're not binge drinking. Too bad these cars are taking all of my discretionary income [emoji23]

#68 ·
Too bad these cars are taking all of my discretionary income [emoji23]
Yeah that'll happen LOL.

Just wait until you start spending money on sailboats, too :eek:

#73 ·
The VR is doing really well in the snow this winter, been trying to keep her as clean as possible on the warm days, it'll get another wash on Monday if the snow holds off!

Cracked 161k miles too

And I discovered this little guy behind the radio awhile ago, I've done some reading and I don't think it's a Bluetooth device but when the 6 disc changer is on it immediately goes to track 99. Which I've read means that a Bluetooth device is trying to connect. But my phone can't find a device when trying to search for it, does anyone recignize this thing?

#77 · (Edited)
The R already received a sc901 from a PO edit: I was wrong, the HU is I fact a SC900, I'd rather avoid buying another one. So my logic is that if I can get the aux input functional I'll just use that instead of replacing the HU, because with aux I wouldn't ever use the radio.

#79 ·
This is promising, seems like when it does work it's a terrible signal. But I also found the aux cord (well it's an old Apple 30 pin connector) so I might just end up getting an updated cord and running the aux

#80 ·
Good news! I found the old 30 pin cord that comes from the box behind the head unit (pictured above), and now I want to replace it with a lightning cable, but I can't find the name of the connection I need.

Can anyone name the cord/connection that adapts to the 30 pin connector in this picture?

#88 ·
Can anyone name the cord/connection that adapts to the 30 pin connector in this picture?
I work at a store that um starts with the letter A. The lightning to 30 pin adapter is what you're gunning for. The one coming from the box is most likely a proprietary connector.

#81 ·
Replaced the axle with a torn outer boot this morning, pretty easy job that didn't take long at all. Not my first rodeo lol

Also test fitted the new wheels in making the spacers/hub rings for, I absolutely LOVE the way they look and they're so much lighter than stock

#82 · (Edited)
Honestly dumping the old-school headunit for a modern double-din with proper bluetooth, microphone, etc. is so worth it. It can be done pretty darn cheap too. I know many here disagree with me and swear by the OEM dolby system but honestly after switching and having a proper equalizer and the ability to play higher fidelity audio files *and* having full bluetooth and all that was so worth it. Heck you can get a head unit with apple carplay for like $229 now

Assuming you have a system with the factory amp, instructions here if you were interested: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...aftermarket-double-din-and-retain-factory-amp

#87 ·
Or you can get a Grom and a SC-901 which does all of those things.....

I can play FLAC through my Grom. Sounds fantastic. SC-901 has a proper equalizer too. It's one of the hidden menus. I could have BT and microphone too but I wouldn't use them so I never bothered installing them in my T-5R. PO of my S60 put in BT and mic; I've tried them and they work great but I just like usb streaming better and don't talk on the phone in the car so I never use them. I have HU control over my phone too. So basically you are going to a lot of effort to delete a Dolby surround sound system designed specifically for the car for no significant advantages I can see.
I've gone back and forth between aftermarket HU and a 901, I'm not really an audiophile so I don't think I could hear a difference unless it was pointed out to me to be frank. Apple CarPlay would be sick though, but modifying the stock HU mounting rials would not be sick. But I haven't done enough research into it yet so thanks for that link!

For now I'm just going to get a mini-din to lightning cable for aux functionality. Hopefully my audio quality issues aren't a problem with an aux input

#83 ·
Or you can get a Grom and a SC-901 which does all of those things.....

I can play FLAC through my Grom. Sounds fantastic. SC-901 has a proper equalizer too. It's one of the hidden menus. I could have BT and microphone too but I wouldn't use them so I never bothered installing them in my T-5R. PO of my S60 put in BT and mic; I've tried them and they work great but I just like usb streaming better and don't talk on the phone in the car so I never use them. I have HU control over my phone too. So basically you are going to a lot of effort to delete a Dolby surround sound system designed specifically for the car for no significant advantages I can see.

#85 ·
such a classic formation

#86 ·
And midterms are approaching so I have negative time to fix anything. But I'm getting errors with both front wheel speed sensors

And a speedo CEL(?)

PO told me that the ABS unit was resoldered (by him smh), so I'm thinking that could be the fault? Either that or something wrong with the ABS harness because I cleaned all the hall effect sensors

#90 ·
I would just get a rebuilt module from Midwest. I resoldered the module in my white 850R and was not fully successful and also made a mess of the module. They are a nightmare to disassemble. Not recommended as a DIY.

#94 ·
Oil change and tire rotation just before 162k miles, was gonna do a transmission drain and fill but I'm glad I didn't. Some guy put the oil filter on wayyyy tight (it was me smh). Tried the janky method of hammering in a screw driver for leverage, failed. Then called a friend for a ride to get a filter wrench, and of course instead of going back to work we got $2 tacos and taps.

Got back to campus, ripped the old filter off, threw on the new filter, some new oil, moved the tires, and now it's time for mug night!

Took much longer than I care to admit for an oil change but we had sufficient breaks LOL

#95 ·
LOL you're supposed to get the food after the work is done

#96 ·
It was a weird target of opportunity, we brought it up out of nowhere and decided to call and see what the wait was (usually close to 60 minutes wait on tues/thurs for the deals) but they said they had two open tables! Couldn't pass up that opportunity lol

Got a couple weird looks before I was told there was oil on my face [emoji23]

#99 ·
Since I finally learned that Volvo OEM cross bars work on my thin style euro bars (Idk how I didn't know this or realize it..!) I bought myself a birthday present that'll be getting here tomorrow

Finally I can put my topper box on the VR and get all the crap out of the back of it. I haven't had the topper on since this time last year!!

Plus I have some stickers to go on the box that I think the sailors who follow this will appreciate LOL

#100 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.