SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Zoinks' 1998 V70R - An Adventure Tail

22K views 249 replies 25 participants last post by  tonyc 
#1 ·
Well, you all groomed me really well. I picked up another daily driver/little project to replace the old V70, and I finally get to experience the maintenance heavy awd system everyone's been telling me to avoid!! LOL

It's pretty mint for the price I scored it at, some pilling in the alcantara and some cracks in the leather but no rips or tears. and the body is AMAZINGLY clean and straight, two dings and not a spec of rust. I'll be paying more for a nice parking spot now too ;). Timing belt has been done, awd system has been serviced and is functioning, fuel pump has been replaced so there's a hole back there but they 'tastefully' cut the hole. The fuel pump is very audible in the cabin which I assume is a function of the hole. The PO swapped a '99+ dual exit exhaust and bumper which I LOVE, duals look so much more mean than a single exit.

There is some business to attend to; PCV & a rear cam seal, oil change with castrol full synthetic, ignition system overhaul, cabin & intake filters, a full brake job and maybe a heater core. Then it needs a wang, '98 roof rails, jewels + LED's, rubber floor mats, and new vacuum lines for good measure! I've been sitting on a couple pairs of 302 mm brackets so it'll be getting those, and potentially a set of stainless steel/ some coated brake rotors from a supplier in Chicago that came recommended from the seller.

I ultimately want to m58 swap this bad boy, but I am going to drive it/refine it over the course of the next year or two as-is to see how I like the awd system compared to my 850r. I'm really glad to be back in a wagon, and a p80 to boot! I've been getting incredibly intimate with the platform for teh last few years and I'm glad I stayed in the generation for the first car I legitimately see myself owning long term.

See less See more
#102 ·
There may be a core or two up at that junkyard I frequent. I can go and pick one up for you if you'd like.

#104 ·
Midterms: [emoji736]

That's means onto more fun things! I don't have security torx yet so I replaced the bolts for my birthday presents, and behold!!

And some of the stickers that will join a bunch of others on the topper. Normally I think this kind of thing is tacky, but I don't see myself staying in Milwaukee for too much longer (especially after graduation soon) and I really like the reminders that all the stickers give me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#105 ·
And some of the stickers that will join a bunch of others on the topper. Normally I think this kind of thing is tacky, but I don't see myself staying in Milwaukee for too much longer (especially after graduation soon) and I really like the reminders that all the stickers give me

Hmmm.....the competition. Lol.

#107 ·
Nice RD! Manual?
A long midterms week is rewarded with spring break, and a fun car to throw around the hills while I'm here! Brother in laws c30 with sway bars and some others goodies

#109 ·

After a nice long spring break vacation (and a spiraling reaction to COVID-19) it has been decided that my girlfriend and I will be making the ~32 hour drive back from the Bay Area to Milwaukee in my BIL's c30.

After teaching her how to drive stick, finding a relative to stay with in Denver, and packing all of our stuff in the back we'll be leaving in about 6 hours. Is there a roadtrip subforum where I can start a thread? LOL

#110 ·
haha niiiceee

Maybe just start a thread for the C30? LOL

#112 ·
It's been a minute since this car has gotten attention, but that's because it's been running like a champ! However this happened yesterday an hour from home :/

Fixed junkily, but that'll be until I get it to an exhaust shop or someone lists and awd downpipe.

But I'm other news, all of my lights turned off after a restart today, which I'm skeptical of but that's cool I guess

But the best part of my long stay back in Minnesota while I'm WFH was snagging an m56 for the 850!

#115 ·
I might be able to help with the lights issue. Started happening to me slowly and intermittently until a relay failed....

Pn 9494424
Is that part of the relay box that's on the radiator cowl? I was planning on getting a new ABS module but the PO said he respldered it. I might try that relay before I drop the coin on a module. Thanks!

#116 ·
The m56 didn't have an external slave shift fork.... which is backordered 3-6 months...

Luckily my dad has an old volvo friend who works in California now who said he could have one on our doorstep in 3 weeks. So fingers crossed it comes and the swap happens then.

#124 ·
OH. Yeah that makes more sense lol.

#127 ·
At least they're not from 2016 LOL. (yes that actually happened to one of my friends who ordered zLines and someone on here who ordered A/S 3+)

How many miles/year do you do? I mean 18 month old tires isn't great but if you're gonna be out of tread in 3 or 4 years anyway, it's probably not an issue.

#133 ·
Good exhaust fix! Ran my new muffler that way for a sec until I could get it properly welded. My personal idea of a roadtrip is with a GF and a manual 5 cylinder car :)

#138 ·
Ordered up all 4 tie rod components, the boots to go with them, and sway bar endlinks. I've had an issue where the car pulls towards a bump when it hits one. It's definitely time for the probably OEM tie rods to be replaced, but it probably has to do with the alignment too. Speaking of which, are p80 awd cars difficult to align? Should I take it to the dealer or to the shop everyone loves in MN? The shop can align to custom specs, so if I go that route what alignment specs should I ask for if not factory?

#139 ·
When I get alignments at the dealer it's like $100 and they put a plastic bag over my seat :thumbup: would recommend.

#140 ·
They are really easy to align. I would recommend 0.15 degrees front toe in each side for a total of 0.30 toe. Also 0.00 rear. Set it dead nuts neutral. This will make it handle well but not too touchy.

#145 ·
This car has been a pain in my side for a minute

First came the above trashed tires, then when replacing all tie rods I found trashed control arms, I didn't have any in stock so I had to drive the 850 until I got them from FCP. Alas, the new control arms I got are junk because not all 4 bolt holes line up. All the while struggling with the 4 bolt control arm style, which are a HUGE PITA in and of itself

Once I got new control arms on the bottom I was ready for an alignment, but the passenger side axle boots are starting to tear. And if I have to replace those they'll screw up my nice new alignment I was gonna get [emoji849]

So ordered an axle, it came in, but it hasn't been put on the car yet... Father's Day got in the way, and I ended up taking the c30 back to Milwaukee because it has functioning AC.

Thank brings us to today, and me deciding whether or not to spend the money on getting the AC fixed

#148 ·
Meyle sucks anyway

#149 ·
lol, knew someone would say this. Only meyle thing the hivemind likes are the sway bars because they fail in a year anyway.

Anywho, is the idea that the evap on p80's fail still relevant? In my search to get the AC fixed this seems to be the culprit 9/10 times. My issue is that when filled with refrigerant the system works flawlessly... for a day. There's a leak somewhere, I'll refill it with dye to see if it's an obvious leak in the condenser

#150 ·
Is it most of the time an evaporator, or rarely the compressor or switches have an internal leak.

#158 ·
I'm procrastinating the AC fix by trying to fix why my radio doesn't work, I'm checking my antenna connections in the back and I found these guys that aren't plugged in. I assume the Mini-din 8-pin is for the absent rear cd changed (?) but what is the coax looking cable? It plugs into the amp(?) in the background of the pic

#159 ·
First pic is the CD changer connectors. Those are both for the CD changer. Does that second one eventually go to the glass mounted antennae?

#160 ·
The second one came from near the hatch struts. On one end it's connected to the amp but it wasn't connected on the other end and just plopped down when I popped off the trim

#163 ·
That’s an aftermarket car phone kit. No wonder your reception is bad! You need to take out the car phone amplifiers and attach the radio back to the correct amplifier which should be mounted near the window antenna.

#164 ·
That's an aftermarket car phone kit. No wonder your reception is bad! You need to take out the car phone amplifiers and attach the radio back to the correct amplifier which should be mounted near the window antenna.
MY SAVIOR

The amp by the window antenna didn't appear to be wrongly connected... I'll take a closer loo land take pics tomorrow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.