SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Zoinks' 1998 V70R - An Adventure Tail

22K views 249 replies 25 participants last post by  tonyc 
#1 ·
Well, you all groomed me really well. I picked up another daily driver/little project to replace the old V70, and I finally get to experience the maintenance heavy awd system everyone's been telling me to avoid!! LOL

It's pretty mint for the price I scored it at, some pilling in the alcantara and some cracks in the leather but no rips or tears. and the body is AMAZINGLY clean and straight, two dings and not a spec of rust. I'll be paying more for a nice parking spot now too ;). Timing belt has been done, awd system has been serviced and is functioning, fuel pump has been replaced so there's a hole back there but they 'tastefully' cut the hole. The fuel pump is very audible in the cabin which I assume is a function of the hole. The PO swapped a '99+ dual exit exhaust and bumper which I LOVE, duals look so much more mean than a single exit.

There is some business to attend to; PCV & a rear cam seal, oil change with castrol full synthetic, ignition system overhaul, cabin & intake filters, a full brake job and maybe a heater core. Then it needs a wang, '98 roof rails, jewels + LED's, rubber floor mats, and new vacuum lines for good measure! I've been sitting on a couple pairs of 302 mm brackets so it'll be getting those, and potentially a set of stainless steel/ some coated brake rotors from a supplier in Chicago that came recommended from the seller.

I ultimately want to m58 swap this bad boy, but I am going to drive it/refine it over the course of the next year or two as-is to see how I like the awd system compared to my 850r. I'm really glad to be back in a wagon, and a p80 to boot! I've been getting incredibly intimate with the platform for teh last few years and I'm glad I stayed in the generation for the first car I legitimately see myself owning long term.

See less See more
#3 ·
My fuel pump is loud and it was replaced the correct way, although it's a DW300. I'm pretty sure they're just all loud though. I've been in a lot of these and you can hear the pump. I like it. [emoji2379]

#9 ·
Yessir! I didn't check the VIN because it was such a quick turnaround, but I'd be curious as to where it has lived its entire life. If it has been a Wisco car since new I am astounded by its condition lol

#6 · (Edited)
Miles?

You may have seen my T5 all finished but I never posted what it looked like when I bought it.
My partner at the time calls me from the auction as he knew I would want it. It had 141,000 miles on it with the straightest body you would ever see but mechanically it was very tired (to say the least).

I told him to buy it regardless. He drove it home to my house where the clutch promptly let go! :(
8 to 10 months later it was more or less finished to look like picture #3.

Look at it. At this time it was 10 years old with 140K miles. All this paint was ORIGINAL! Not even the usual Volvo door ding or three...The only paintwork I had to do was the new (used) V70R front bumper and repaint the rear bumper along with it.

If I had done this in the past 3-4 years I would probably have finished the wheels darker grey like I have with my 2007...

#10 ·
Miles are around 153k, it's loosing the race to the moon relative to my 850r but it'll rack up more as my daily.

I've seen the pics you posted of the t5, I want to repaint the front and rear bumpers. They're definitely the worst parts of the car, but I really haven't had a car with this nice of a body so I'll be talking with the local detailers as to how to keep it that way.

But it took you less than a year to build that t5? That's pretty impressive, I didn't realize that.

#20 ·
Got more pictures of the wagon after it's first clean up! I plan on doing a decontamination with a fine nanoskin sponge and seal it with mequiars 21 to fight all of the winter gunk. I've never gotten into detailing this hard before, but I gotta keep this thing looking spify!

On another note, I'll be drilling/tapping and glass bead blasting an Na manifold for a 960 plate mod for the wagon. I want to keep the cast aluminum finish so I wont be painting it (and wont be paying for powdercoat or anything), does anyone have recommendations as to if I should get a flat enamel clear coat kind of spray paint to spray the manifold with? Or should I just leave it as is post-blasting.

#23 ·
Very nice car! There's a silver '99 for sale near me.

For the ATF change you can do partial drain and fills where you just change out what's in the pan or the Gibbons method where you pump the old ATF out through the cooler line. Lots of opinions on which method is better on a car with some miles on it. I've done both methods.

#24 ·
That's a good point, I've read about the partial drain and fill and think I'm going to go that route. Especially with the high(er) miles that this caR has. My logic is that there is probably gunk built up from the old ATF loosing it's cleaning properties over time, assuming the R hasn't has tranny service, and I'd want to change out the fluid a couple times to try and get rid of any broken loose gunk. If gunk comes loose and grenades the tranny it'll just be a good excuse to rush an m58 swap LOL

I asked the PO if the transmission has been serviced, so we'll see what he says (he doesn't know so I'm assuming no service). But I think the drain and fill is the move regardless just to be cautious.

I also want to service the angle gear, I saw FCP has a kit including a syphon. Has anyone used this or have other input on how to do about an angle gear service?

#31 ·
Well, 25% of what I paid for the car just went into stage 0 parts. That's my least favorite part of getting a new car. But it all needs to be done in order to get it to where I want it to be! Soon will be the fun part of actually tearing the car apart and installing all of the shiny new bits LOL

#32 ·
So, my dad drove the v70 as I drove the 850 to a meetup today, and the rear end is sagging and bouncing all over the place. I assume the Nivos are blown, but haven't looked into it yet. What options do I have besides buying new nivos? I thought I saw some sort of 'T' mount to retrofit standard shocks to the nivomat mounting scheme, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

What are the pros/cons to keeping Nivos vs. going with some retrofit? I don't want to buy new Nivos just to hit another snag if/when I want to lower the car in the future. Just trying to future-proof my decision here.

#34 ·
So, my dad drove the v70 as I drove the 850 to a meetup today, and the rear end is sagging and bouncing all over the place. I assume the Nivos are blown, but haven't looked into it yet. What options do I have besides buying new nivos? I thought I saw some sort of 'T' mount to retrofit standard shocks to the nivomat mounting scheme, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

What are the pros/cons to keeping Nivos vs. going with some retrofit? I don't want to buy new Nivos just to hit another snag if/when I want to lower the car in the future. Just trying to future-proof my decision here.
You can get the sport Nivomats if you want to lower it. Yeah........V70Rs here didn't come with the sport suspension as standard...... But, anyway, that's an option. Because of the T mount, you can stack up some spacers in the bolt to make it lower. Or you can use base AWD shocks that aren't load leveling and do whatever you want with ride height.

#35 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I looked at 025 Nivo’s and I can’t find any (shocker), so I ordered up some new nivomats. They were spendy but I plan on having this thing for that long haul so it’ll be worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37 ·
stopping is cool!

#38 ·
Sheet. It was apparently forgotten to mention that the 99+ rear caliper is a better design and a bolt on. Not the 00 R specific vented either, just any 99+ rear awd calipers.

#42 ·
What winter tire sizes can I run on the wagon?

I ordered 205/60-16 VikingContacts to run this winter but I got an email from tire rack saying they might rub. I asked if he know where they’ll rub, at full lock or on the strut, but I want to see what all of your guys’ experience is

#43 ·
What winter tire sizes can I run on the wagon?

I ordered 205/60-16 VikingContacts to run this winter but I got an email from tire rack saying they might rub. I asked if he know where they'll rub, at full lock or on the strut, but I want to see what all of your guys' experience is
They're fine. 205/55r16 is stock, 60 fits (I've run that size). Your closest "pinch"'is actually on the rear with the leading inside edge of the tire and the forward stay arm and e brake cable.

If you haven't ordered them yet potentially do some shopping around other brands and models that crapinental is awful expensive for what it's lacking in terms of tech. Plus, I've never seen a Viking long ship with snow tires on it just sayin

#45 ·
It's coming together! It's getting a loooot less hooptie with the new braking system, and a fluid flush!

This whole awd concept better be good, because the rear subframe looks like a PITA. I wish I could take it all apart and bring it to campus to sandblast and repaint. But that'll be for a later project.

On another note, what hardware should I get in preparation of replacing f the nivo's? Any recommendations?

#46 ·
Adjustable spring perches. 450 lb eibach or other standard motorsport springs. Shocks of your choice be it oem volvo awd base or bilstein or whatever.

#50 ·
Are you ready for the snow we are going to get Zoinks?

Sent from my Nokia 3310
I'm excited! The lake isn't frozen so there's no drifting to be done, but I'll be able to test the awd in the snow lol

Where in MN are you located about? MNVolvo usually has some snow meets to do donuts and take pics whenever there's a big storm, you should join us if we do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#51 ·
[emoji102]

They're so new! After a month long shipping fiasco my budget OEM nivo's are here, I'll throw them on tomorrow in between car shopping for my mom. Been doing a lot of research on W212's lately... wish I had the money for one lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.