Looking to buy a used 2016 XC90. What do I have to check?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hi there!

I am looking to buy a used XC90 and I am new to the brand. I have two options:
      - 2016 T6 Momentum, 50k miles.
      - 2016 T5 Momentum + Plus + Vision + Convenience packages, 75k miles.
      Both are priced the same. The extra horsepower on the T6 is something not critical for me, unless you guys say otherwise I think the T5 is powerful enough.

I would like to ask your help to know what to look for and check in order to evaluate those cars. The common things that one should check when buying a used car.

Additional questions:
      - Why some XC90 have the headlights “Thor hammer” and others don’t?
      - Every 2016 XC90 has CarPlay?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would have a look at consumer reports, I don't think 2016 was a good year.

Thor’s hammer was an option on the 2016 momentum.

Not sure if CarPlay was on all of them. You want one with both android auto and CarPlay (2usb ports) because retrofitting is a pain.

Best advice is get a 2017 at minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by partridge; 11-10-2019 at 01:27 PM.
      Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I would not consider buying a 16 unless it is Volvo CPO only. Too many issues that continue to plague this car.
      The T5 is less troublesome of the 2 engines and still offers plenty of power and good fuel economy
      LED headlights were an option on Momentum. They really are worth it from a visibility standpoint. Cost when they go bad $$$$ and CPO does not cover lights so be aware.
      Carplay was not standard but I believe can be purchased on any SPA platform.
      Both car you mentioned are out of standard warranty and repair costs can be very pricey. Many of the Extended Warranties I have dealt with recently are denying claims left and right even though they should be covered so they are about worthless in most cases.
      Get a True Pre-Purchase inspection done from a Volvo Dealer and make sure they printout ALL fault codes and ask if they can pull warranty history or at minimum the carfax.

They are nice cars but by no means inexpensive and without a factory warranty, you may be paying more per month for a used car when figuring in repair, than you would a new lease. 16's were very troublesome and I saw quite a few get bought back as lemons only to go to auction and return for same issues, although no warranty on lemons.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

I have a 2016 First Edition and the only issues have been software related and once updated everything is fine. I currently have 82,500 miles and no complaints.
      2016 XC90 First Edition

The 2017 one falls out of my budget. Other option could be a XC60.

Quote Originally Posted by SocDave View Post
      I have a 2016 First Edition and the only issues have been software related and once updated everything is fine. I currently have 82,500 miles and no complaints.
      I concur with this opinion - we're at 65k miles . . and any issues have either been software related, or covered under the CPO warranty. Would I buy one without it being CPO, or without buying the Volvo VIP extended warranty? Probably not. But I would feel the same about a 2017, 2018 or 2019 too!
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

As some said, check the detailed history of the vehicle and if there are no regular dealer visits and not too many out of the ordinary warranty repairs and if it's a CPO, I would say, go for it. You can also purchase factory CPO upgrade for additional years for reasonable price.

Sent from my Aura Glow Note 10+ using Tapatalk
      Our first Volvo - Optimus Prime - 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Onyx Black, HUD, Momentum+, Convenience, Vision, Climate, Pilot Assist II + Mitigation Upgrades + May 2019 Update

My Fuel Log for real life Optimus Prime fuel efficiency - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90...wdarygm/910536

MY16s are just fine from my own experience. Just do your due diligence and check on the title, service history, software updates, and insurance claim history.

The T5 and T6 are both fine. I am biased as to the T8. I have driven both the T5 and T6 and they are both sufficient. Is the T5 AWD or just FWD? I am thinking the latter but others can confirm. Always get the Thor’s as they are bright and distinguishing.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 11-10-2019 at 10:48 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I'm about 2,000 miles into the ownership of my '16 T6 Inscription and the struts are already bad. Couldn't tell you which one(s) but I'm getting a rattle while not even hitting bumps, just going down the road.

Vehicle also had an open recall on it regarding a coolant hose so definitely look up the vehicle's VIN and check if everything is sorted.

Otherwise the vehicle has been great, save for the fact that it treats you like a stranger every time you start it - it starts in the factory "Comfort" mode which presets a bunch of things including your suspension. AFAIK newer models don't have this BS.

My thoughts are following, not a long/hard list:
      - CPO only, and buy CPO extended warranty.
      - One owner is fine. If two or more owners, especially short period last owner, avoid it.
      - Driving should be flawless. No vibration, jerk, shudder, etc.
      - Don't be afraid of mileage. The engine and transmission seems quite reliable from observations here.
      - Let dealer pull the service history. A few things to watch:
      . Spark plugs should be replaced
      . Sunroof, if any repair is done, make sure it works perfectly.
      . Recalls and service campaigns should have been done.
      . If any excessive engine oil consumption is reported.

Going forward you probably will need to pay for brake, tires etc pretty soon, but those are not hard job.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 11-10-2019 at 11:17 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Frikeando View Post
      The 2017 one falls out of my budget. Other option could be a XC60.
      Keep looking or save up a little more till you can manage the 2017. I wouldn't get a 2016 despite the anecdotes posted here.

But if you're going to do it anyway:
      - Make sure the spark plugs have been replaced. Make sure the spark plugs have been replaced. Make sure the spark plugs have been replaced...
      - Software is the very latest
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      My thoughts are following, not a long/hard list:
      - CPO only, and buy CPO extended warranty.
      - One owner is fine. If two or more owners, especially short period last owner, avoid it.
      - Driving should be flawless. No vibration, jerk, shudder, etc.
      - Don't be afraid of mileage. The engine and transmission seems quite reliable from observations here.
      - Let dealer pull the service history. A few things to watch:
      . Spark plugs should be replaced
      . Sunroof, if any repair is done, make sure it works perfectly.
      . Recalls and service campaigns should have been done.
      . If any excessive engine oil consumption is reported.

Going forward you probably will need to pay for brake, tires etc pretty soon, but those are not hard job.
      As mentioned numerous times in this post, 2016s have issues and are of course riskier to get. That doesn't mean there aren't ways to mitigate it if you really want to get into something now. I have a 2016 and seen some things on mine...

The above is a good checklist after what I've gone through, to mitigate getting a 2016. The only thing I'll add here per my own experience is to have the spark plugs replaced every 30K instead of the usual 60K. Since I went through an episode of a spark plug exploding and damaging the engine, the additional out of pocket expense is worth it to mitigate that risk as plan to try to take my car to 100k (53K right now).

TL/DR - 2016s require much more homework and VIP warranty mitigates a lot of the risk. But in the end, do what you feel is right for you and your risk level.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Crystal White/Amber | 21" 8-spoke | B/W | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air |

I have a 2016 T6 XC90...love the SUV...until a month ago...Only software related issues up until then. Some recalls, but all cars have them.

My issue of concern: Loss of oil, no visible smoke or on the ground. I have added 1 qt of oil between each of last 2 oil changes.

Long story short: Pistons/rings letting oil past them, oil burning up on cylinder walls (apparently there is a TSB on it)...Pistons/rings need replacement

Story got worse for me: Found scoring on cylinders...NEED NEW MOTOR (in progress)

Dealer (thankfully) got everything covered...only had 43K miles...new motor warrantied as long as I own it

But again, we do love the car.

I have a 2016 Inscription.
      It has been in the shop 3.8% of the time I have owned it.

Lots of problems. It has been In the dealer 6 times for Hybrid Failures
      Including the ERAD problem with the transmission.

All covered under warranty (for now)

"Error displayed
      in vehicle" Dealer Diagnosed
      Hybrid System Failure "Software upgrade required"
      Hybrid System Failure High Pressure Hose Leak, AC Failure
      Hybrid System Failure Coolant problem, topped up system (faulty diagnosis)
      Hybrid System Failure Heat Exchanger Fault
      Hybrid System Failure Software upgrade
      Hybrid System Failure ERAD transmission

Avoid the 2016

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements