Leaking Sunroof Covered under CPO?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Leaking Sunroof Covered under CPO?

My 2016 XC90 has started to leak out of the rear cassette of the sunroof. It's a known issue addressed in TJ 31272: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...87102-5448.pdf

I'm at 51k miles, so it's not covered under the factory warranty and the dealer claims the seals and weather stripping aren't covered under the CPO either.

Is there a complete list of exclusions for a 2018 or later CPO? I'm having trouble finding what coverage I actually bought.

I'm pretty disappointed that a known issue that would have been repaired under factory is not covered under CPO.

Thanks for the advice.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Check with CPO warranty manual and Volvo custom support?

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

CPO is an exclusionary warranty, which is good. However, seals are listed as not covered. There should be a link to the fine print for the warranty in your paperwork. Here is the exclusion list that I have available to myself for my customers:

Under Platinum Coverage [VOLVO CPO] any of the following parts: brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard manual transmission clutch friction disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing and arm, air bags, solar powered devices, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, weather stripping, trim, moldings, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, all batteries except hybrid/ev/hydrogen high voltage batteries as listed under gold, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, filters, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing (except when required in conjunction with a mechanical breakdown), safety restraint systems, audio/security or other systems not factory installed, or vinyl and convertible tops.
      Last edited by DFrantz; 11-11-2019 at 01:40 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sushiman2000 View Post
      My 2016 XC90 has started to leak out of the rear cassette of the sunroof. It's a known issue addressed in TJ 31272: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...87102-5448.pdf

I'm at 51k miles, so it's not covered under the factory warranty and the dealer claims the seals and weather stripping aren't covered under the CPO either.

Is there a complete list of exclusions for a 2018 or later CPO? I'm having trouble finding what coverage I actually bought.

I'm pretty disappointed that a known issue that would have been repaired under factory is not covered under CPO.

Thanks for the advice.
      There's no expiry on a TJ is there? So it does't really matter whether it's covered under the factory warranty or the CPO warranty, because under the TJ the dealer should do the work (as instructed to do by the manufacturer).
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

TJs do not extend the warranty for the parts in the TJ.

Thanks to all for your input. I would think the manufacturer would be admitting some amount of design/quality fault on a TJ.

In this case a 2016 TJ is covering a 2016 vehicle for the faulty weather striping.

I guess I'm taking it in the pants on this one.

In this case, customer service has sent me a 30% rebate for the repair. I don't think it's enough, but don't know if I'll push the issue.

If you push it you might be able to get goodwill assistance. That varies though.

TJ isn't admitting fault, it's saying for a given failure they've identified the fix to avoid replacing parts for customers unnecessarily. If a tech didn't know what seal was the cause in most cause they'd probably end up replacing several more trying to "diag" it. TJ's are not warranty extensions. Complaining because they efficiently have resolutions is a bit silly as the alternative is to make you pay for a lot more hoping to guess right each time. Service manuals have always listed conditions with probable solutions in order to keep the cost of repair lower since service manuals were first used. Weather seals are exposed to all sorts of environmental conditions and that's one reason they aren't generally covered under warranties.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements