Volvo on call deactivated
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo on call deactivated

My 2016 V60 came with 6 months of on call which was nice but not worth creating an account with AT&T to continue. I let it expire and never thought about it again until nearly 4 years had passed at which point the IP gave me a message that my subscription was expiring every time the car was started. Tapping ok on the end if the turn signal lever cleared the message.

At the 4th year anniversary of taking delivery, the message changed to "Volvo on call deactivated ". Tapping OK will clear it but will I need to do this on every engine start forever now? Seems there should be some way to turn it off once and for all.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am in the same situation. Iíve read conflicting reports on what it will take to remove the message. Some say a software update, others that hardware removal is necessary. Everything Iíve read has said there will be a $200 fee by the dealer to remove the message. I donít know what to believe but I am due for service and should find out soon. If itís not correctable by a software update Iím going to be pissed. Have no need for it and donít need to be reminded of it every time I start the car.
      Last edited by SilverRubicon; 11-12-2019 at 09:43 PM.
      2016 Volvo V60 T5 Platinum
      Onyx Black/Beechwood/Sport Package

I was told by my dealer that it would cost $200 to clear the message and reset the TEM. My subscription was active at the time and Volvo US was no help at all. They have no clue why it shut down but they won't help financially. Pretty frustrating.

Additionally, if anyone is in the NOVA area, I would avoid Lindsay Volvo in Alexandria for any service. They are terrible.
      2015.5 V60
      2008 C30 R Design - SOLD
      1998 V70 T5 Manual - SOLD
      1987 Chevy El Camino
      1985 Nissan 720

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Mine did the same thing, but recently it has finally stopped displaying the message. I don't think i did anything to make it go away, it just stopped on its own.

EDIT: I take it back. I still get the message every now and then, just not every time I start the car.
      Last edited by budleach; 11-25-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Soon after the subscription expired, I would display every time I started the car, but it eventually went away after a couple of weeks. But it's not gone forever, the message will display every now and then.
      It's ridiculous to charge owners to get rid of this message for good

Quote Originally Posted by GRSchultz View Post
      My 2016 V60 came with 6 months of on call which was nice but not worth creating an account with AT&T to continue. I let it expire and never thought about it again until nearly 4 years had passed at which point the IP gave me a message that my subscription was expiring every time the car was started. Tapping ok on the end if the turn signal lever cleared the message.

At the 4th year anniversary of taking delivery, the message changed to "Volvo on call deactivated ". Tapping OK will clear it but will I need to do this on every engine start forever now? Seems there should be some way to turn it off once and for all.
      Are you sure you need an AT&T account to use Volvo On Call? I thought they were separate systems.

When my telematics module (TEM) stopped working, I contacted Volvo USA and they told me I had to take it to a dealer where they would "wake it up." Fortunately, my dealer had just replaced my engine and assumed it stopped working because they had my battery disconnected for so long, so they reset it for free. Volvo USA also gave me an additional 1 year subscription to Volvo On Call for the inconvenience. I got very lucky.

My dealer had the reset done in about 30 min, so if anyone is quoted $200, maybe try talking them down since it should be less than a full hour of labor.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Are you sure you need an AT&T account to use Volvo On Call? I thought they were separate systems.

When my telematics module (TEM) stopped working, I contacted Volvo USA and they told me I had to take it to a dealer where they would "wake it up." Fortunately, my dealer had just replaced my engine and assumed it stopped working because they had my battery disconnected for so long, so they reset it for free. Volvo USA also gave me an additional 1 year subscription to Volvo On Call for the inconvenience. I got very lucky.

My dealer had the reset done in about 30 min, so if anyone is quoted $200, maybe try talking them down since it should be less than a full hour of labor.
      That's what I was told at the time by my dealer. Exactly 6 months after delivery of the car all of the connectivity stopped and the on call app no longer worked. I do wonder if what I was told is correct though, since a couple months before the 4 years I had a recurring message that the subscription was going to expire.

Same issue here. My Volvo On Call subscription lasts until Feb 2020. Then randomly it said Volvo on Call deactivated. I called Volvo NA for help, they said the dealer would have to perform an update to solve this and my On Call would start working again. I setup an appt and the dealer performed this for free. I dropped my car off in the morning and picked it up at the end of the day after the dealer had already closed. My On Call app was still not working with the car. So I called Volvo NA once again and they told me that since On Call had deactivated and left untouched for a week the telematics system deactivated and I would have to take my car back to the dealer once more to turn telematics back on. I took my car back the next day and it took them 15 minutes to turn the system back on. I tried to start my car from the app after and it didn't work. However, once I pressed the Volvo On Call button in my car with my app opened, it started working again.

That's what I was told at the time by my dealer. Exactly 6 months after delivery of the car all of the connectivity stopped and the on call app no longer worked. I do wonder if what I was told is correct though, since a couple months before the 4 years I had a recurring message that the subscription was going to expire.
      You DO NOT need to have an AT&T subscription for this feature to work! I think your dealer may have mixed up some information, as all of the different features and subscriptions can be confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      You DO NOT need to have an AT&T subscription for this feature to work! I think your dealer may have mixed up some information, as all of the different features and subscriptions can be confusing.
      This is what my understanding was as well.

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      This is what my understanding was as well.
      From direct experience that is correct.
      I had 6 months of AT&T internet service which I activated when I bought the car (used) and activated the Volvo On Call feature a few months later using a 1 yr promotional deal with Amazon Prime (to support in-car delivery). I let the AT&T expire as wasn't worth the cost of renewal to me so I now have no Internet based apps like Pandora etc unless I connect to my phone's hotspot, but the Volvo On Call is still working without it... they are different systems and subscriptions.

On a related rant... I understand that all these 'features' offered by 3rd parties cost money but I don't enjoy the modern 'subscription' based business models that pervades everything from cars to video games, I remember 'the good old days' when you just bought something and owned it forever. I get it with consumable items like the internet service but to hide things like the remote unlock feature behind a subscription pay-wall really bugs me.
      2016 V60 T6 AWD R-Design POLESTAR

What bothers me is the cost of Volvo On Call in the US vs. Europe. We are charged $200/yr for Volvo On Call, but you can buy it in Sweden and the UK for two years at a total cost of under $75.
      Current Volvo: 2016 S60 T5 Inscription w/Platinum package
      Previous Volvos: 1993 850 GLT (sold in 2016), 1984 240 DL Diesel (sold in 1993)

F6A7B6E9-F838-4BB4-9531-CC8B9AA2EDFC.jpgA few days ago I started getting the "Volvo On Call Deactivared" on my 2015.5 V60CC. I am a VOC subscriber and my subscription is good until next year. I used the VOC app to email customer assistance on a Saturday and received a prompt response: "The Volvo On Call deactivated message you are seeing is not in regard to actual subscription. This notification is actually in regard to the Volvo On Call button inside the vehicle. I am seeing here the On Call button inside the vehicle expired 11/21/2019. It can be reactivated with a manual activation code". He included the 10-digit code I entered in My Car settings. After entering the code and pusing the VOC button overhead, the system now is operating normally. Great customer service from Volvo on Call. BTW their customer assistance is available 24/7, 365.
      2015.5 V60CC Savile Grey met, BLIS, heated front seats, convenience pkg, rubber mats
      2014 S60 T5 Premier Plus w/sport, xenons, BLIS, heated front seats, SCT w/nav (hers)
      2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (sold) 120,000+ miles
      2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan (sold) 160,000+ miles
      1996 Saab 900S (sold) 110,000+ miles

Quote Originally Posted by AeroDan View Post
      F6A7B6E9-F838-4BB4-9531-CC8B9AA2EDFC.jpgA few days ago I started getting the "Volvo On Call Deactivared" on my 2015.5 V60CC. I am a VOC subscriber and my subscription is good until next year. I used the VOC app to email customer assistance on a Saturday and received a prompt response: "The Volvo On Call deactivated message you are seeing is not in regard to actual subscription. This notification is actually in regard to the Volvo On Call button inside the vehicle. I am seeing here the On Call button inside the vehicle expired 11/21/2019. It can be reactivated with a manual activation code". He included the 10-digit code I entered in My Car settings. After entering the code and pusing the VOC button overhead, the system now is operating normally. Great customer service from Volvo on Call. BTW their customer assistance is available 24/7, 365.
      Interesting. This is the first post I've seen where this was fixed without visiting the dealer and that's great news. Also interesting is that we are seeing more of these posts about On Call deactivation recently. I'm starting to wonder if there is something that happens ~4 years after the original activation. For me in happened on my 2015 earlier this year and I think the original owner took delivery around that time of year 4 years ago. Are you the original owner? Do you remember when VOC was first activated on your car.

A few days ago I started getting the "Volvo On Call Deactivared" on my 2015.5 V60CC. I am a VOC subscriber and my subscription is good until next year. I used the VOC app to email customer assistance on a Saturday and received a prompt response: "The Volvo On Call deactivated message you are seeing is not in regard to actual subscription. This notification is actually in regard to the Volvo On Call button inside the vehicle. I am seeing here the On Call button inside the vehicle expired 11/21/2019. It can be reactivated with a manual activation code". He included the 10-digit code I entered in My Car settings. After entering the code and pusing the VOC button overhead, the system now is operating normally. Great customer service from Volvo on Call. BTW their customer assistance is available 24/7, 365.
      So the button could be reactivated with a code but is that only because you have a valid subscription to the Volvo on Call service? My subscription is expired and see no reason to resubscribe as I never used it.

If you could provide the email address that was used by Volvo support that would be helpful. Would like to see if I can resolve the problem on my car as well.
      Last edited by SilverRubicon; 11-25-2019 at 12:28 PM.

This is the email address I got back from the Volvo customer help team/ [email protected] Again, I posted the email from the VOC app so never saw the address where it was going.
      Last edited by AeroDan; 11-25-2019 at 07:13 PM.
      2015.5 V60CC Savile Grey met, BLIS, heated front seats, convenience pkg, rubber mats
      2014 S60 T5 Premier Plus w/sport, xenons, BLIS, heated front seats, SCT w/nav (hers)

Interesting. This is the first post I've seen where this was fixed without visiting the dealer and that's great news. Also interesting is that we are seeing more of these posts about On Call deactivation recently. I'm starting to wonder if there is something that happens ~4 years after the original activation. For me in happened on my 2015 earlier this year and I think the original owner took delivery around that time of year 4 years ago. Are you the original owner? Do you remember when VOC was first activated on your car.
      I bought my V60CC as a CPO from Volvo dealer. The car went into service June of 2015 but I bought it November 19, 2015 and picked it up 21 Nov so the Deactivation message occurred at exactly 4 years.
      Last edited by AeroDan; 11-26-2019 at 08:35 AM.

I bought my V60CC as a CPO from Volvo dealer. The car went into service June of 2015 but I bought it November 19, 2015 and picked it up 21 Nov so the Deactivation message occurred at exactly 4 years.
      Well that is definitely a data point that supports my theory. I'm glad that Volvo has figured out a way to fix this issue without a trip to the dealer. That is quite weird that they would program in a 4 year life and then when it hit that point, they didn't know how to wake it up without a trip to the dealer (at least for me and a few other people that posted before you). And then months later, they now can wake it back up with a code.

This is the email address I got back from the Volvo customer help team/ [email protected] Again, I posted the email from the VOC app so never saw the address where it was going.
      Thanks. I submitted a question through their website and it used [email protected]. Wonder what the difference is between "va" and "mw" in the email addresses? They've acknowledged and replied to my emails but have yet to arrive at a solution. Maybe that is the difference, results.

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements