Rear door latch stopped working. Cold weather related?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Rear door latch stopped working. Cold weather related?

I had an unpleasant surprise this morning. It's balmy 18F and I leaving for work and I cannot close the door? the electric is working as I can hear its clicking but latch doesn't engage at all. Like I have no door lock in the door at all. ftw. Anyone has seen anything like that? I might try to heat it up with hot air but it's not that cold yet...
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Update. sun is up and xc is unfrozen. works like nothing happened... any suggestion for what to spray locks with?
      06 V70R Sonicap
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

You’re not alone. Having in mind the Swedish winter conditions which I believe is more brutal than the NYC, I have to manually slam the mentioned door every time the temps drop. I‘m assuming it is Sensus glitch or a manufacturer’s defect that Volvo simply ignore to fix.

Volvo for Life

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

really. wow
      I've been driving Volvos since 2000 and this is the first time I saw this. I think it some stupid sensor in the lock mechanism malfunctioned.
      06 V70R Sonicap
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

I've had same issue with my 2017 XC90. Today is a cold day (18F with freezing rain yesterday), and it's happened once or twice before in previous years. Gets "solved" when sun thaws everything, but in my case, door wouldn't latch closed so wasn't safe to drive (door would swing open) which meant an unusable car until the sun came up

Dealer had greased the latch last year, but not sure if it helped.

Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      I've had same issue with my 2017 XC90. Today is a cold day (18F with freezing rain yesterday), and it's happened once or twice before in previous years. Gets "solved" when sun thaws everything, but in my case, door wouldn't latch closed so wasn't safe to drive (door would swing open) which meant an unusable car until the sun came up

Dealer had greased the latch last year, but not sure if it helped.
      you described exactly what happened to me this morning. even the same weather. are we neighbors, lol? luckily I can WFH.
      I just ordered silicon sprays (dry and wet) and lock de-icer spray and will go over all locks and seals when it gets here.
      Last edited by Papa_Kirlo; 11-13-2019 at 02:52 PM.
      06 V70R Sonicap
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

I had the same issue last year and replaced the door lock under warranty. Here's the thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ight=rear+door

I ordered this for all the rubber seals on my V90CC https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

You can use WD40 spray on all locks. Clean the area, spray generously, wipe off excess fluid!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Well. same story this morning. Same rear door too. I was smart enough to test it only after I came to work. Made a video for a service dept to show.
      06 V70R Sonicap
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Kirlo View Post
      Well. same story this morning. Same rear door too. I was smart enough to test it only after I came to work. Made a video for a service dept to show.
      Besides water strips fix (TJ 31542.7.0), Volvo has released plastic caps for rear doors locks.

Its mounted on locks and protect it from water that can freeze, and as a results - doors cannot be locked, or unlocked until car placed to warm place. Especially during winter time...

Parts numbers are:
      32131416 - cover for left rear door lock
      32131417 - cover for right rear door lock

I did it for my ex-XC90 MY16 for both doors, ordered it and asked dealer to mount.

Quote Originally Posted by KentXRS View Post
      Besides water strips fix (TJ 31542.7.0), Volvo has released plastic caps for rear doors locks.

Its mounted on locks and protect it from water that can freeze, and as a results - doors cannot be locked, or unlocked until car placed to warm place. Especially during winter time...

Parts numbers are:
      32131416 - cover for left rear door lock
      32131417 - cover for right rear door lock

I did it for my ex-XC90 MY16 for both doors, ordered it and asked dealer to mount.
      Ha, I googled the part number, saw the post on drive2ru and was thinking to register there to ask a couple of questions.. Then I realized it was your post. Gonna send you a message as it's not related to this post
      06 V70R Sonicap
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Kirlo View Post
      Ha, I googled the part number, saw the post on drive2ru and was thinking to register there to ask a couple of questions.. Then I realized it was your post. Gonna send you a message as it's not related to this post
      yep, that's me.

Covers parts number I got from dealer, as there was lots of claims on lock.
      Although there is no information elsewhere, even in google...

I had a 2016 XC90 D5 and a 2017 XC90 T8. Everything on those cars tends to freeze in even mild weather. Doors - especially back doors - fuel door, even the little door for the charger on the T8.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements