2015 S60 w/ Harman-Kardon System, No Sound
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2015 S60 w/ Harman-Kardon System, No Sound

Hey everyone,

I'm a relatively new owner of my 2015 S60 T6 RD Platinum. I live in Michigan. Over the last couple of days, we have had some cold nights and yesterday, I was not getting any audio after startup. I flicked the radio back and fourth from Bluetooth back to radio and it started working again. This morning through, with a temp of around 21F, I couldn't not get any sound for my whole drive to work. Powering off the infotainment didn't help, and switching sources back and fourth didn't help either. I still have volume control of everything (shows on the display), but I just have no sound actually coming out from parking sensors, voice command, or radio/Bluetooth.

I've read a few reports that people say they have experienced similar issues with the H-K system in the cold. Can anyone confirm that this is most likely just a climate issue, and that if there is an actual software update that addresses this and is worth paying for at the dealership?

Thanks
      Current: 2015 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design Platinum (Polestar Tuned)

Previous: 2006 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 79 for '06).
      2002 S60 T5 M56

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just went through this in our 2016 HK stereo.

Want the good news or the bad.

Good news is it’s repairable by replacing the IAM. The box under the pass seat.

Bad news, $1200.00 at your local Volvo stealer. Aftermarket options limited since it controls more than just sound to speakers.

Worse news is others(HK Premium Volvo owners) have had to replace these more than once in very short timeframes. The IAM installed on mine was NOT new, but a rebuild, still 1200.00 from Volvo. Was too afraid to ask what a “new” IAM would cost.

Have a 1986 Suzuki that still has the radio working in good order. A 2001 Subaru with a McIntosh(Clarion) premium in good working order.

Sorry, wish it weren’t so - I feel for ya bro!

It's probably one stupid, and very cheap, component on the circuit that acts up in cold weather. Replace it and you're back in business.
      The $1200 question is, however, which one!!
      Back in the day I had a Nissan Maxima with Bose speakers. One went bad and the replacement was hundreds of dollars. All I needed to do was replace one capacitor and it came back to life.
      It may even be something like a bad soldered connection that misbehaves at low temps.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

Hmmm, I thought I remembered seeing the people with the same issue say it was software related (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me now that I think about it). It isn't a huge concern, and definitely not one worth spending the $ on a new IAM just to have the same issue reoccur. I was considering buying a 3 day subscription to VIDA to perform any software updates the car might have, but given that I am no VIDA guru, I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I try and go that route. I have to see if my VIDA even works with my car. I've seen people say some have gotten lucky with a 2015 MY car working with VIDA 2014D, I just haven't plugged it in and tried yet.

Time to do that soon!
      Current: 2015 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design Platinum (Polestar Tuned)

Previous: 2006 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 79 for '06).
      2002 S60 T5 M56

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements