2012 battery
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: 2012 battery

2012 battery

I have conflicting info in town.
      One shop says just change the battery.
      One says there is some kind of electronic part and reset when you change the battery so it learns the status of the battery.

Back story
      I got a dash warning of "Low Battery" one morning last week. Car had been sitting for 3 days. It started without issue or difficulty.
      Since then the car has been left three days again and no issues or repeat of the low battery warning.

I called 5 shops (Sears/Costco/Midas/Interstate Batteries/and a local reputable shop. They all have slightly different stories and go from $2230 to 320 for a 3-4 year battery installed.

Any truth (experience) or opinion is appreciated.

What do you think.
      Phil
      91 940 SE (retired)
      2014 Toyota Avalon HYB
      2012 S60 Copper (Great Pumpkin)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wrong forum
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

No experience on the specific car however the system that tells you low battery it’s normally just a voltage sensor that lets you know when battery is under specific voltage like 12v.

I would also think if there’s any specific logic that actually monitors the health of the battery it would reset itself once the system voltage goes to zero when you completely unplug the battery without any requiring service technician to perform anything and specifically not a hardware change but a soft reset.

Again you may want to check with the right form for this model and see if anybody has more experience on this as I don’t have specific experience at his car.

But I would just replace the battery and see if everything works fine if it does problem solved and if not you can always return the battery back the same day and take it to the shop and see you what they would recommend if you can’t find anything on that online
      Last edited by Kamil; 11-13-2019 at 12:07 PM.
      2020 V60 CC

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Dunno about the 2012 S60 specifically versus the 2013, but the fairly new battery on my wife's S60 failed. When researching replacement, I found that the battery monitor utility in the CEM needs to be reset in the VIDA software interface. When replacing the battery, the procedure is to fully charge the new battery, reset the utility with VIDA, and leave the car locked for 6 hours.
      The battery had been replaced before we bought the car about 3 years ago. Although it was a Volvo-brand battery, it's unknown who replaced it as the warranty record isn't shared by the dealer. During the last 3 years, the "Low Battery" message appeared a few times. The manual makes mention that it may be necessary to charge the battery occasionally under certain driving conditions. If the car was used for very short trips, like once a day, the message would appear after some time. Charging the battery would solve the issue for some period of weeks/months.
      When the battery failed, it was at first dead, and then would not charge above 12.0 volts. After going flat again within a day, the battery would not accept a charge and was causing the charger (10 amp) to peg, overheat, and reset.
      I bought the highest capacity battery I could find at a reasonable price-point, installed it, and reset the CEM battery monitor with my VIDA. All good since 9/30/19.
      Battery life can vary widely, so when replacing the battery that has a battery monitor, it can make a difference to longevity and battery health to reset the battery monitor.
      The battery monitor device is actually part of the battery cable-end, so if your battery cables have something other than plain ol' terminal clamps, then you may have the monitor.
      Here's another thread on the subject:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...change-s60-diy
      I couldn't find a picture of the monitor, so maybe if you post a picture of your battery terminals, we can advise if you have it,
      Last edited by Capndirk; 11-13-2019 at 12:36 PM.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by pjsmithres View Post
      I have conflicting info in town.
      One shop says just change the battery.
      One says there is some kind of electronic part and reset when you change the battery so it learns the status of the battery.

Back story
      I got a dash warning of "Low Battery" one morning last week. Car had been sitting for 3 days. It started without issue or difficulty.
      Since then the car has been left three days again and no issues or repeat of the low battery warning.

I called 5 shops (Sears/Costco/Midas/Interstate Batteries/and a local reputable shop. They all have slightly different stories and go from $2230 to 320 for a 3-4 year battery installed.

Any truth (experience) or opinion is appreciated.

What do you think.

For $2230 you may buy a whole used car instead of battery.

Krzyś

Quote Originally Posted by krzyss View Post
      For $2230 you may buy a whole used car instead of battery.

Krzyś
      Or a small country in Europe (moźe Polske)
      2020 V60 CC

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements