CVVT Replacement, car lopes at idle and is rough.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

CVVT Replacement, car lopes at idle and is rough.

It's been a tough week for my two XC70s. My 04 is currently down as I believe the collar sleeve is stripped. And now my other XC is turning a one day's work job into a nightmare.

I bought an 05 XC with 150k and leaky cam seals. I replaced the cam seals and followed the instructions of this write up to a T which I believe to be the correct way to do it.
      Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 3.12.41 PM.jpg
      At the same time I cleaned the PCV system and put it all back together. Now the car runs as shown in the video. Codes on vida are ECM-670C and ECM-671C, both indicating the angle of the exhaust camshaft is too high. These codes only get triggered sometimes when I start the car. I am leaning towards the exhaust cam being a tooth off even though I'm absolutely certain I put the CVVT back on correctly. I know for a fact there was noticable in and out slop in the CVVT, would this be causing my problems even though it was fine before? Thanks to the ViDA I was able to see live data with the car running. Somewhere I read that if camshaft adaptation was more than +/- 8 degrees from 0, the exhaust cam is a tooth off- my value appears to be 30.6degrees when running and about 26-28 when the car is first started and idling.
      Parts replaced so far: maf, exhaust cam sensor near hub.

This is the data I'm gathering from the 05 and a video at idle:
      unnamed.jpg
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Y1-ux4Ev0
      This is data from my dads 07 XC which luckily hasn't broken, (finger's crossed.) I see a noticeable difference in the ECM-Exhaust camshaft adaptation reading.
      unnamed.jpg
      I am really stumped, I am 99.99% sure the timing is "right" considering I first lined up the marks on the crank, the cam to timing cover, and the rear of the cam when the sensors are removed. I used a cam locking tool on the cams when doing the work. Then I spun the motor two full rotations and checked it all again. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Anyone have any ideas? I turned the CVVT hub to the right (clockwise) one position, and the cars adaptation value dropped to 12%- and ran a little better. I turned it again one notch and it didn't drop from 12 or run any better...

I had the same issue with my 05 T5 after replacing the intake cam seal. Took me a few days, I ended up having to to move mine a tooth and adjusting the cam sprocket on the hub, and doing it a handful of times then checking VIDA and seeing what the adaptation was. Unfortunately you wont know the real adaptation until it's to temp :/ It does sound like it is advanced (i believe) a tooth. What i did is marked the initial bolt position on the sprocket to hub then moved the sprocket forward/back and then checking the values in VIDA.
      2004 C70 T5 AT vert 77k Black Sapphire
      2004 V70R GT 144K Silver/Nordkap
      2005 S60R M66 151k Passion/Nordkap
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport 215k Passion Red

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The hub can be dead itself, or CVVT solenoid sticking. Take it apart and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
      The hub can be dead itself, or CVVT solenoid sticking. Take it apart and clean.
      I think I'll try cleaning it, it can be anything at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by 91shelby View Post
      I had the same issue with my 05 T5 after replacing the intake cam seal. Took me a few days, I ended up having to to move mine a tooth and adjusting the cam sprocket on the hub, and doing it a handful of times then checking VIDA and seeing what the adaptation was. Unfortunately you wont know the real adaptation until it's to temp :/ It does sound like it is advanced (i believe) a tooth. What i did is marked the initial bolt position on the sprocket to hub then moved the sprocket forward/back and then checking the values in VIDA.
      Thanks, on day 5 and beginning to feel defeated. Did your car sound like this and idle really rough under 1000rpm? Did you turn the hub clockwise or counterclockwise to getting the Exhaust adaptation value closer to 0 (where I believe it should be). I am almost thinking it's a major vaccum leak in the pcv system as I had that all apart while doing this job.

Yeah I know the feeling, it drove me mad for 3 days working on it after work in the dark. It idled rough under 1000rpm when i first had the issue and as I adjusted it more it got smoother but took an extra few rotations of the start to get it to start then ran good and no codes till it warmed up and they returned that's when I moved the belt a tooth then adjusted the sprocket. I believe i moved my belt towards the front of the car one tooth and rotated the sprocket towards the firewall. I did it slowly though, minor adjustments on the sprocket to hub relation at a time to make sure I was going to proper direction. When resorted to this my adaptation was around +22 degrees.
      I don't think a vacuum leak would cause the adaptation to be that far off and would have to be a physical issue with timing, i could be wrong. I would double check for leaks but doubt its a leak causing those codes, you'd have other maf and fuel trim codes for that you'd think.

Yeah I know the feeling, it drove me mad for 3 days working on it after work in the dark. It idled rough under 1000rpm when i first had the issue and as I adjusted it more it got smoother but took an extra few rotations of the start to get it to start then ran good and no codes till it warmed up and they returned that's when I moved the belt a tooth then adjusted the sprocket. I believe i moved my belt towards the front of the car one tooth and rotated the sprocket towards the firewall. I did it slowly though, minor adjustments on the sprocket to hub relation at a time to make sure I was going to proper direction. When resorted to this my adaptation was around +22 degrees.
      I don't think a vacuum leak would cause the adaptation to be that far off and would have to be a physical issue with timing, i could be wrong. I would double check for leaks but doubt its a leak causing those codes, you'd have other maf and fuel trim codes for that you'd think.
      Well the award for the dumbest Volvo owner goes to this guy. The problem was what I think is a HUGE vaccumn leak. I put the throttle body on with one of the bolts going through the gasket, the rest of the gasket was swiveled sticking out and therefore not creating a good seal. Fixed and ran PERFECT. However, still getting the code for the exhaust cam angle blah blah being too high, probably because the exhaust pulley is moved two teeth clockwise and not in proper relation to intake. Figured this would happen. Easy fix, will correct it in the AM. Hopefully when I fix it I won't get any more codes or mess with the car running so good now....thanks for all the tips guys

Quote Originally Posted by boosted_xc70 View Post
      Well the award for the dumbest Volvo owner goes to this guy. The problem was what I think is a HUGE vaccumn leak. I put the throttle body on with one of the bolts going through the gasket, the rest of the gasket was swiveled sticking out and therefore not creating a good seal. Fixed and ran PERFECT. However, still getting the code for the exhaust cam angle blah blah being too high, probably because the exhaust pulley is moved two teeth clockwise and not in proper relation to intake. Figured this would happen. Easy fix, will correct it in the AM. Hopefully when I fix it I won't get any more codes or mess with the car running so good now....thanks for all the tips guys
      First sentence is referring to me, not you. I should've checked the basics first and not rushed through putting the throttle body on and this whole thing would have never been a problem.

Well I am stumped. Keep getting 20-30 degree values for intake and exhaust adaptation followed by a check engine light. I have reset the belt with the tick marks on the hubs closer towards the fire wall, in the direct middle, and to the front multiple times and it seems like there's no change in values. Am i supposed to reset something or drive the car for a while? I have also replaced the sensor on the top close to the exhaust gear and nothing's changed.

Lol I didn't think it was directed at me, awesome you fixed that part Did you tinker with the cam sprocket to VVT hub correlation? There is nothing to be reset in this case as timing values are constantly being checked by the ecm. Are the adaptation values changing when you look thru vida? Did you check values when warm? Does it take an extra turn or 2 of the starter to start it? do the codes come back after its warmed up?

Lol I didn't think it was directed at me, awesome you fixed that part Did you tinker with the cam sprocket to VVT hub correlation? There is nothing to be reset in this case as timing values are constantly being checked by the ecm. Are the adaptation values changing when you look thru vida? Did you check values when warm? Does it take an extra turn or 2 of the starter to start it? do the codes come back after its warmed up?
      Yes I reset the cams in relation to tick marks and each other like 10 different times with the adaptation values going up slightly each time (I would let the car idle for 10 minutes and keep checking the values) Nope car started up every time and ran excellent and idled like it should at around 675. Codes keep coming back, check engine light eventually comes on. I think my codes are related to me tearing into the PCV system, i'll update the thread when I hopefully find a solution.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements