Seat Belt Failure - CPO Question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Seat Belt Failure - CPO Question

So the other day my seat belt decided to no longer retract properly. I've had issues with this belt a few times. Believe dealer lubricated it the last time. Problem returned. Dealer is replacing the seat belt. But here's where I'm baffled.

Dealer said the CPO doesn't cover wear and tear items - I have the old one 7 yr / 100K. That the Seat Belt is actually being replaced under the SRS 5 Year / Unlimited Warranty? Is this accurate? Even though I don't have to pay, I am curious because I thought the CPO covered anything mechanical or safety that failed.

An aside note, I dented the living SH*T out of my door by slamming the seat belt in it when I got out. It was at night and I didn't see the thing failed to retract. Soliciting PDR estimates. Probably a few hundred bucks I'm guessing. Not thrilled since this damn seatbelt had issues before.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 11-19-2019 at 09:48 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Pretty sure I've done seat belts under CPO and they are covered. Wear and tear refers to tires, brakes, wipers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Pretty sure I've done seat belts under CPO and they are covered. Wear and tear refers to tires, brakes, wipers, etc.
      See Email Below from Dealer:

Hi,

The driver side front seat belt would be covered under the “SRS warranty” which is 5 year/unlimited mileage warranty. This is good news because the “CPO” (certified pre-owned) warranty does not cover any cosmetic stuff like and interior/exterior trim, leather or carpets, any glass, or seat belts.

I can get the seat belt ordered and once it comes in we can schedule an apt to replace the seat belt. The dents are not covered under warranty but we can have our dent removal team look at them and see what can be done to improve the appearance.

My Parts Manager is copied on this email and I will reach out once the part is here and we can arrange replacement. I would expect 2-3 business days for the part to arrive unless there is an unforeseen delay. Expect an email later this week and thanks for reaching out.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Maybe I'm misremembering. I'd have to look into it. But it doesn't really matter- it still isn't costing you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Maybe I'm misremembering. I'd have to look into it. But it doesn't really matter- it still isn't costing you anything.
      True. I was curious for future reference as I thought CPO was comprehensive.

It's pretty comprehensive. Generally, if CPO doesn't cover it, no other third party extended warranty would cover it anyway.

Not to threadjack, but it’s interesting you mention glass. My XC60 has a small spot on the rear window where it doesn’t defrost (center, approx 1/3 way down the glass). Obviously, replacing the glass is the only option since the grid isn’t available separately. Dealer says CPO won’t cover it though, despite being a defroster issue and not *technically* a glass issue.

Make sense, or no?

Thanks,

Joe
      2013 XC60 R-Design Platinum - Ice White
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Willow Green - Wife's, all stock

Quote Originally Posted by jschaefer7406 View Post
      Not to threadjack, but it’s interesting you mention glass. My XC60 has a small spot on the rear window where it doesn’t defrost (center, approx 1/3 way down the glass). Obviously, replacing the glass is the only option since the grid isn’t available separately. Dealer says CPO won’t cover it though, despite being a defroster issue and not *technically* a glass issue.

Make sense, or no?

Thanks,

Joe
      Depends upon Circumstance. Did you buy the vehicle New, as a Loaner, or used? How many miles were on it at time of purchase? Did this issue exist from Day 1 or did it appear suddenly over time?

I'd think if you'd bought the vehicle and noticed this early on, attempts would be made to correct the issue. However, now that the vehicle has age, Volvo might argue wear and tear. Or that you damaged the grid somehow. And thus not covered.

Warranties are a Dealer / Companies best friend. Legalese often gives manufacturers and warranty companies plenty of latitude to squirm out of and deny legitimate repairs.

If the repair wasn't covered under the SRS warranty, I would fight the dealer on the CPO covering it. Someone that classified the belts as wear and tear probably meant the literal BELT (the fabric part) which can literally tear. That shouldn't apply to the retracting mechanism which is mechanical. Saying a retracting mechanism is a wear and tear item is like saying a door handle is a wear and tear item. It doesn't make sense.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      If the repair wasn't covered under the SRS warranty, I would fight the dealer on the CPO covering it. Someone that classified the belts as wear and tear probably meant the literal BELT (the fabric part) which can literally tear. That shouldn't apply to the retracting mechanism which is mechanical. Saying a retracting mechanism is a wear and tear item is like saying a door handle is a wear and tear item. It doesn't make sense.
      Beat me to it - perfect logic!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former) | 1995 Yellow 850 T-5R (former)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Agreed. It's being covered so I'm not overly concerned with bickering about semantics. Whether Door A or Door B. I just found the explanation to be rather mind boggling. Still irked that my seatbelt had an issue before and the only thing down was lubricating the mechanism. Only to be back to square one. And while I get a replacement belt next week, but my damn door looks like hell.

Wasn't like I expected the seatbelt to be in the way when I shut it. Photos included in the first post.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 11-15-2019 at 12:48 AM.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements