Any T8’s having issues with Parking Climate now that winter is here? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
      Parking Climate has now started working almost 100% of the time for me now, so I’m assuming that it was an App/Software issue.
      It is good for you. In my case, it started with random failure and success two month ago. So just use it everyday and see if all good entire winter.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just got my XC90 T8 back from the shop. Heater replacement. Volvo VIP covered everything except the two heater hoses for some reason (about $50 total). I'm not complaining.

It's amazing how much more quickly the car warms up now even in regular driving.
      Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by partridge View Post
      Just got my XC90 T8 back from the shop. Heater replacement. Volvo VIP covered everything except the two heater hoses for some reason (about $50 total). I'm not complaining.

It's amazing how much more quickly the car warms up now even in regular driving.
      Glad yours is fixed too. It always takes two or more service visits for them to agree on the fix like this. This is the thing bothers me, for the inconvenience and mind-boggling.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Ok I will call myself the dumb dumb. As I am waiting for my new XC90T8 to arrive and I am reading this thread, I have no idea what the VOC, the HVHC or the "parking climate" is. Sorry for the stupid questions but I do not know the lingo yet. I am still learning everything via the manual in advance of my delivery in February. Can someone clarify what all of this technology is and what it is used for. Again sorry for the stupid questions.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

VoC = Volvo on Call
      HVHC / “parking climate” = ? — I have not seen that one yet. ...just dawned on me, do you mean “HVAC”? Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning?

I did run across this to help me with translation awhile back. Unfortunately HVHC isn’t there. . https://vidaresources.volvocars.biz/...cc34911143.htm
      Last edited by BertL; 01-10-2020 at 04:25 PM. Reason: HVAC?
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      VoC = Volvo on Call
      HVHC / “parking climate” = ? — I have not seen that one yet. ...just dawned on me, do you mean “HVAC”? Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning?

I did run across this to help me with translation awhile back. Unfortunately HVHC isn’t there. . https://vidaresources.volvocars.biz/...cc34911143.htm
      Here is the acronym I meant to write: HVSC

What is that?
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims

Quote Originally Posted by 2020XC90T8 View Post
      Here is the acronym I meant to write: HVSC

What is that?
      It is actually High Voltage Coolant Heater, used in T8 to use 400V battery to heat the coolant for warming up the car and also battery pack in Parking Climate feature.

Yeh, it is as simple as an electric water heater. Just that somehow it became broken in the third winter on my T8. Maybe they have new design now.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      It is actually High Voltage Coolant Heater, used in T8 to use 400V battery to heat the coolant for warming up the car and also battery pack in Parking Climate feature.

Yeh, it is as simple as an electric water heater. Just that somehow it became broken in the third winter on my T8. Maybe they have new design now.
      Thank you for the explanation.

Awaiting Approval
      Hi everyone, first post here

My wife and I bought a used 2018 T8 and it's in the shop for the "Parking climate temporarily (always?) unavailable" issue. Preconditioning worked once for me, the very first time I tried it when we took possession of the vehicle. It has never worked since (we've had it since the first week of Jan 2020, so not that long ago, but trust me, I've been testing this in all different ways).

I've tried starting it via VOC, setting a timer from VOC, starting via Senses, setting up a timer via Sensus, full tank of gas, half tank, full charge, half charge, first thing in the morning, last thing at night, all times in between, full moon, waning gibbous moon, facing East, North, South, and West, and always get the "Parking climate temporarily unavailable" message (which is not a very user actionable message I would note). One time I was next to the vehicle and started Preconditioning, I heard an electric whine like the HVCH was drawing current. This went on for ~30 seconds, then it stopped and the message appeared. Through this forum, I knew what to ask/tell them to look at (thanks!). So now I am adding my voice to the thread in case it helps someone.

When I took it to the dealer for its 30k mile service, they claimed that it worked, but I suspect they may not have tested it, or just felt that the seats were warm and assumed that it worked. I asked the service manager to revisit the issue and now it's in the shop with the hybrid certified technician.

They connected to the vehicle via WiFi after I demonstrated that preconditioning didn't work. One thing that was curious was that I finally saw a different message than the dreaded PCTU message: it was saying that there was not enough charge in the battery (curious because the Hybrid battery was at 3/4). I had taken my charge cable to the dealer to rule out a problem with that, but they said they use the same 120VAC outlet that I do at home.

In any case, pulling diagnostics codes, there were all kinds of faults, many of them did not have messages, but most seemed to indicate the HVCH had some kind of communication issue. It was not clear to them if the fault was a missing message/response from a seat heater, or something else, because the codes were not that descriptive. Looking at Volvo's diagnostic software, it looked like it was throwing at least 2 red codes and 3 yellow. In any case, I have a loaner now as they are waiting for the vehicle to cool down so they can diagnose it further.

I suspect I will end up with the new part # HVCH sometime in Feb once it's no longer backordered, but will report on any progress. FWIW, it's a U.S. spec vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by COXC90 View Post

My wife and I bought a used 2018 T8 and it's in the shop for the "Parking climate temporarily (always?) unavailable" issue. Preconditioning worked once for me, the very first time I tried it when we took possession of the vehicle. It has never worked since (we've had it since the first week of Jan 2020, so not that long ago, but trust me, I've been testing this in all different ways).

I've tried starting it via VOC, setting a timer from VOC, starting via Senses, setting up a timer via Sensus, full tank of gas, half tank, full charge, half charge, first thing in the morning, last thing at night, all times in between, full moon, waning gibbous moon, facing East, North, South, and West, and always get the "Parking climate temporarily unavailable" message (which is not a very user actionable message I would note). One time I was next to the vehicle and started Preconditioning, I heard an electric whine like the HVCH was drawing current. This went on for ~30 seconds, then it stopped and the message appeared. Through this forum, I knew what to ask/tell them to look at (thanks!). So now I am adding my voice to the thread in case it helps someone.

When I took it to the dealer for its 30k mile service, they claimed that it worked, but I suspect they may not have tested it, or just felt that the seats were warm and assumed that it worked. I asked the service manager to revisit the issue and now it's in the shop with the hybrid certified technician.

They connected to the vehicle via WiFi after I demonstrated that preconditioning didn't work. One thing that was curious was that I finally saw a different message than the dreaded PCTU message: it was saying that there was not enough charge in the battery (curious because the Hybrid battery was at 3/4). I had taken my charge cable to the dealer to rule out a problem with that, but they said they use the same 120VAC outlet that I do at home.

In any case, pulling diagnostics codes, there were all kinds of faults, many of them did not have messages, but most seemed to indicate the HVCH had some kind of communication issue. It was not clear to them if the fault was a missing message/response from a seat heater, or something else, because the codes were not that descriptive. Looking at Volvo's diagnostic software, it looked like it was throwing at least 2 red codes and 3 yellow. In any case, I have a loaner now as they are waiting for the vehicle to cool down so they can diagnose it further.

I suspect I will end up with the new part # HVCH sometime in Feb once it's no longer backordered, but will report on any progress. FWIW, it's a U.S. spec vehicle.

120V AC is generally insufficient for parking climate. Your experience in trying to get parking climate to work with 120VAC is consistent with other experiences on the board. Try a 220V connection and see how it goes.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription w/Air Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by COXC90 View Post

Exact same problem and symptoms I had. If you sit in the car and start parking climate you can hear it being to work and circulate coolant and then shut down.

It’s very hard to get the dealers to diagnose this.

First of all, it has to be cold enough outside. If it’s not cold enough to run the heater, there’s no problem. This means you can only see the problem in winter.

Second, if the car has been driven a bit, or is warmed up, it is more likely to work properly. The system is more likely to fail when it is cold. That means keeping the car overnight and then trying it again first thing in the morning when it is cold.

Third, there are a myriad of other things that need to be satisfied for parking climate to work. The car needs to be plugged in. It has to have charge. Etc.

Fourth, the car will actually say parking climate started and running on the app before shutting down. Some dealers take this as “working”. There are so many software issues with this car that it’s easy to just reload the software and then claim that that must be the problem, since by the time you’ve reloaded the software and tested the car it’s now warm, and it now works.

It’s a total cluster of a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Any T8’s having issues with Parking Climate now that winter is here?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Preconditioning via Parking Climate on my MY16 XC90 has been working fine, particularly if the timer was preset or was started manually.

I experienced a brief intermittent glitch with the timer being set on VOC last year but it resolved itself.

I ended up deleting the timers on VOC and set them via Sensus.

I recall there was a TJ on this a year ago or so.

Anyway, mine works fine and has been 100% in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      My Climate, including preconditioning, was not working as normal in Dec. 2019 and Jan. 2020.

Bottom line was that on 17 Jan., Volvo dealer service determined that my HVCH was stuck open. It was replaced and is working once again.

Some symptoms were that:
      1. Cabin was 53° F after 15 min. plugged-in preconditioning in a 50° heated garage.
      2. Cabin was 29° F after 30 min. plugged-in preconditioning outdoors at 13° F OAT.
      3. Climate in cabin was cooling down and would not sustain temp while on extended local drives and longer drives (-8°F differential between set temp in Climate and a digital outdoor thermometer that I keep in my car for spot-checking). I think there could be a door seal or insulation issue but techs did not identify one. I will keep testing this on longer trips.

What was interesting was that remote start seemed to work fine.

Regardless, if you experience inconsistent heating or no heat the HVCH could be stuck or failed and may need to be replaced. Someone discovered here on SS that error code is discovered separately from the common port for error codes.

Finally, after preconditioning in Nov. and beyond (after Nov. 14th TSU), I noticed that my available battery went from 100% to between 65-75% from a heated garage within the first mile of driving. The determination was that the BECM update was needed (which is included with TSU/Service 2.0).

Now, all back to normal now with heat and hybrid battery capacity issues corrected. This is after my TSU on 17 Jan. 2020.

I am still monitoring to see if there is weather seal or airflow issue, but so far so good.

Anyway, I try to always use 240v/16A for preconditioning. Using 120v/12A with seat heat, steering wheel heat and climate heat are pulling more than 12A which results in a net loss with your hybrid charge. Your systems are consuming energy faster from the battery than the 120v/12A grid recharging can replace.

If you must use 120v for preconditioning, then set some of your lower priority options to off or low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 01-26-2020 at 05:51 AM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

My car going in tomorrow as I am again having Pre-conditioning failure around 90% of the time. Plugged into 240V/16A outlet. VOC states it’s running, then a minute or two later I get a notification that there’s been a problem and Pre-conditioning is ‘temporarily unavailable’.

A pain it’s not working since it’s been very cold in the mornings lately

My car going in tomorrow as I am again having Pre-conditioning failure around 90% of the time. Plugged into 240V/16A outlet. VOC states it’s running, then a minute or two later I get a notification that there’s been a problem and Pre-conditioning is ‘temporarily unavailable’.

A pain it’s not working since it’s been very cold in the mornings lately
      This is the exact thing I saw with my car. Insist and tell the dealer you are using parking climate timer set in the car, not from VoC and this failure still occurs, and ask them to check error code on the HVCH port. Otherwise there is no error code detected in VIDA.

Error code from HVCH should get Volvo to grant the replacement or repair of HVCH.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 01-26-2020 at 11:32 AM.

My T6 momentum’s pre conditioning has stop working all together since early this month.
      I forget already, when it conditions the vehicle, does it set temperature to 72 degrees? It’s a great feature. When it works.

Same with a T6, been happening since 12k miles, now pushing 20k and dealer clueless as usual

The picture below is when I just opened the door and about to head out, then I hear this weird chime -the one you hear when you open the hood- and notice the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
      Same with a T6, been happening since 12k miles, now pushing 20k and dealer clueless as usual

The picture below is when I just opened the door and about to head out, then I hear this weird chime -the one you hear when you open the hood- and notice the message.

Yea same here.

For T6 it is different. The 12V battery is not adequate for heating up anything. Parking climate maybe is just about turning on ventilation. Maybe battery is not full.

Anyhow, you better use Remote Start to warm up the cabin.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

My Parking Climate has always worked perfectly for the last two years until,very recently when it fails all of the time after about 2 minutes where it states ‘Running’.

Strongly suspect this is some type of new OTA software glitch.

Bish
      Volvo does not do OTA for operational software only for maps and apps
      2017/XC90/Osmium Grey T8 Inscription no B&W, no child pakket, no seat pakket and no Air suspension

Update:

So my Parking Climate feature on the T8 started to again fail 90% of the time, especially in very cold temps. Initially the service dept attempted a full software, (firmware?), re-boot as instructed by Volvo Sweden, but as soon as I got the vehicle home Parking Climate failed immediately inside my cold garage. At ambient temps around 40dF-50dF it would occasionally work.

Took it straight back and the HVCH was sent overnight and installed the next day. Parking Climate working 100% of the time currently.

I had mentioned to my SA that it seemed that the HVCH needed to be replaced when I first took the T8 in, but they were not allowed to do so by Volvo until after the software download was tried first.

Bish

Update:

So my Parking Climate feature on the T8 started to again fail 90% of the time, especially in very cold temps. Initially the service dept attempted a full software, (firmware?), re-boot as instructed by Volvo Sweden, but as soon as I got the vehicle home Parking Climate failed immediately inside my cold garage. At ambient temps around 40dF-50dF it would occasionally work.

Took it straight back and the HVCH was sent overnight and installed the next day. Parking Climate working 100% of the time currently.

I had mentioned to my SA that it seemed that the HVCH needed to be replaced when I first took the T8 in, but they were not allowed to do so by Volvo until after the software download was tried first.

Bish
      Same story here - finally fixed on third dealer visit and after the car sat in the shop for over two weeks. Prearranged a loaner, a fully loaded 2020 XC90, so was no biggie.

HVCH seems to be a very common failure item on T8's that is either hard to diagnose or dealers/corporate are not in a rush to fix - blaming software first or failing to diagnose the issue properly. The actual fix, replacing heater unit, draining/refilling the coolant and associated control module must cost Volvo a pretty penny, so no wonder people are getting a run around.
      Poverty-spec 2016 XC90 T8 Momentum
      Zero options, $52K out the door brand new

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2