Any T8’s having issues with Parking Climate now that winter is here?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mine has stopped working completely.

Service says they can’t find anything wrong and are fobbing it off on VOC.

I’m nearly 100% sure this is not a VOC issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nope, mine's working fine this 2nd winter via manual turn-on in VOC app and plugged into Level2 work charger and 220V home Turbocord (what came with the Volvo) charger.
      Last edited by likeXC90; 11-16-2019 at 11:25 AM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

You can set up a timer to start parking climate and show them it fails too. I don't think it is VoC related.

Have to push them to get Volvo engineer to help. Mine has random failures this winter and maybe it will always fail next winter.

If we can get to know how it detects conditions for failure, we can try some tests to help diagnosis. But maybe technicians here don't have details either.

From users' point of view, the factors here are just temperature readings, air heater, fan, seat and steering heater. I can't think of anything very difficult to inspect by dealer. I read about report here that high voltage heater could fail, but this should be able to see by VIDA scan.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 11-16-2019 at 03:04 AM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Mine worked just once upon purchasing and then...never again.

Volvo for Life

Preconditioning via Parking Climate on my MY16 XC90 has been working fine, particularly if the timer was preset or was started manually.

I experienced a brief intermittent glitch with the timer being set on VOC last year but it resolved itself.

I ended up deleting the timers on VOC and set them via Sensus.

I recall there was a TJ on this a year ago or so.

Anyway, mine works fine and has been 100% in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

If you use timers... Delete everything and only set them from the car.

Precondition only reliably works on a 220v plug, despite intermittent success with the 110.

If you are unplugged, use engine remote start, NOT precondition.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoaVolvo View Post
      If you use timers... Delete everything and only set them from the car.

Precondition only reliably works on a 220v plug, despite intermittent success with the 110.

If you are unplugged, use engine remote start, NOT precondition.
      I doubt it matters how the timers are set, from VoC or in car. Any normal software won't be designed with any difference between these two cases.

The timer set from VoC works as it tries to to start parking climate at the preset time.

Well anyhow I can try delete times and add them back in car to see what happens.

Mine worked fine in past two winters. Shows problem this winter. Plugged in on 240V overnight. Charging is all good.
      So it is possible it is not robust somewhere inside, being it temperature sensor, high voltage heater, or whatever.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 11-16-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I doubt it matters how the timers are set, from VoC or in car. Any normal software won't be designed with any difference between these two cases.

The timer set from VoC works as it tries to to start parking climate at the preset time.

Well anyhow I can try delete times and add them back in car to see what happens.
      The original issue was, in fact per the TJ, with the prescheduled timer on VOC. I recall that the TJ made referenced to a subsequent update for SPA XC60s. You may want to get a 3-day subscription and read the TJ. I do not have it handy but there is a thread at on MY16+ XC90 subforum.

I will post if I find it.

2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

The issue with the timer specifically says that the timers don’t work but Parking climate works when manually started by VOC or in car, and basically said that the service centers should wait for an upcoming software update to address it.

Mine is a different issue. Parking climate is completely inoperative. It starts up enough that VOC says it’s running then it errors out and shuts down. Doesn’t matter how it start it. Timer, manual, in car or out. It doesn’t work.

Additionally I don’t seem to have heat when running on battery power.

I think I may have to try another dealership. This one claimed they were having trouble troubleshooting because they had nowhere to charge the car.

Current:
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Thanks for clarification.

Do you have the “Additional Heater” option turned on in Settings -> Climate (or My Car / Volvo)?

If so, then I recall an issue with the Electric Heater which I wonder could be an issue. I wonder if the HVSC and/or IGM needs to be checked out. (Those fixed my issue in 2018).

Definitely, a trip to a competent hybrid service center would be in order. Not having access to an EV charger would raise a red flag (to me).

Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 11-16-2019 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Updated with details

Quote Originally Posted by partridge View Post
      The issue with the timer specifically says that the timers don’t work but Parking climate works when manually started by VOC or in car, and basically said that the service centers should wait for an upcoming software update to address it.

Mine is a different issue. Parking climate is completely inoperative. It starts up enough that VOC says it’s running then it errors out and shuts down. Doesn’t matter how it start it. Timer, manual, in car or out. It doesn’t work.

Additionally I don’t seem to have heat when running on battery power.

I think I may have to try another dealership. This one claimed they were having trouble troubleshooting because they had nowhere to charge the car.

When start in VOC I think it always shows running first and the error shows up a minute later.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Thanks for clarification.

Do you have the “Additional Heater” option turned on in Settings -> Climate (or My Car / Volvo)?

If so, then I recall an issue with the Electric Heater which I wonder could be an issue. There is an acronym for it but my memory needs to be refreshed.

Definitely, a trip to a competent hybrid service center would be in order. Not having access to an EV charger would raise a red flag (to me).

I had the HVEH replaced this spring.

Made an appointment at a different dealer. He seemed kind of surprised that they didn’t have a T8 charger at the other shop.

Current:
      Deceased:

When start in VOC I think it always shows running first and the error shows up a minute later.

Tried several times this morning from VoC while standing next to the car. There are two failure results:

Usually VoC shows it is running, I can hear a little sound of electronics running buzz, and fluid hissing. After several seconds all stopped and it reports temporarily unavailable.

The other kind of failure in VoC is: failed to start parking climate, which seems more like communication failure with the car.

The failure when starting by timer is always the first kind: unavailable temporarily.

I also manually deleted all timers on Sensus screen and re-added them slightly differently. VoC app doesn't show the updated timers to me.

Just tried the timer and see same failure. 50F today. Will see again tomorrow. I feel the colder the better chance to see it working.

Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 11-16-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Mine has stopped working completely.

Service says they can’t find anything wrong and are fobbing it off on VOC.

I’m nearly 100% sure this is not a VOC issue.

Ours works perfectly. When it doesn't, I’ve realized it’s specifically due to certain EVSE that don’t “wake back up” after it had finished charging. It seems some don't wake back upon demand/request from the EV. So now I go to specific EVSE in the parking garage that I know will delivery the juice when I need them to start up again to condition the car interior and battery after they've detected a full charge earlier in the morning. It also works consistently at home with our Home ChargePoint.

You may want to see if it's EVSE related. It's especially obvious to me when the VOC app says "Running" for Parking Climate and then after a little bit it comes back saying something like paused/interrupted (forget the message)..
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 11-16-2019 at 08:46 PM.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

My Parking Climate has always worked perfectly for the last two years until,very recently when it fails all of the time after about 2 minutes where it states ‘Running’.

Strongly suspect this is some type of new OTA software glitch.

Bish

So, right after I posted the above I decided to delete the app from my iPhone after I had logged out of the app. I then downloaded and reinstalled the current app from the App Store, and ‘Parking Climate’ is now working again. I’ll check again in the morning when it’ll be much cooler in the garage.

Bish

Quote Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
      So, right after I posted the above I decided to delete the app from my iPhone after I had logged out of the app. I then downloaded and reinstalled the current app from the App Store, and ‘Parking Climate’ is now working again. I’ll check again in the morning when it’ll be much cooler in the garage.

Bish
      Interesting, I would try this too but my parking climate timer still fails and seems unrelated to VoC app.

@thebishman, are you running iOS 13.2.2? I ask because the latest dot update from IIRC last week had major fixes for background apps — I was having numerous unexplainable problems with (non Volvo) apps that didn’t consistently update and seemed to get out-of-sync with their counterpart via the WWW if I let them go to the background or I stopped using my device, until I brought them to the foreground again — still not sure all that is resolved, but my situation is much improved. I too was fixing problems with the “delete & reinstall trick”, but my issues were returning after a short while until .2 came out.

...and is everyone with problems running on iOS, or do we have some Android folks with problems too? So many possible places where problems like these come from. While I don’t know anything about Volvo in this regard (yet), I am certain with my trials & tribulations with Lexus and Tesla, parts of the equation when we ran into problems were sometimes on the device (OS level, HW, and Android vs iOS) or app itself, part in the vehicle, and other times related to communications and in more than one case, the mfgr code that interfaced between the app and vehicles... we could eventually surmise what the culprit had been if we got a new app version and things resolved, or new firmware on car (Tesla) and problems went away, or magically everyone starting working again when it was likely the mfgr fixed something “in the cloud” under their control. Lexus US at one point years ago literally had a PC under someone’s desk back east where all their VoC-equivalent app requests were received and sent to vehicles — not super robust IMO, but that’s what it was for some period of time... Yikes, huh?
      Bert

In Transit: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription, Polestar Optimized - Est <12/31 Delivery
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

The thing is, you can’t blame it on VOC when the internal car timer fails and when a manual precondition request via the in car settings in Sensus also fails.

Current:
      Deceased:

The thing is, you can’t blame it on VOC when the internal car timer fails and when a manual precondition request via the in car settings in Sensus also fails.

Today I just found something new. Reinstalled VoC app on my Android phone and it doesn't help of course. I started in VoC a few times and all failed. Then I drove the short dropoff trip and came back, parked and plugged in. Then I tried start in VoC again and it worked. If this is a pattern then looks like something didn't wake up fully after parking/charging overnight.

Mine has worked for few years after the HVCH (high voltage coolant heater) replacing. The software issue (Many failed attempts till it returns positive message) has been fixed as well.

This place is and can be even more incredible platform, if someone from Volvo really actually read the outcry.

Volvo for Life

FYI, Apple just released iOS 13.2.3 with more fixes for background app issues as I was attempting to describe upthread... Downloading now.
      Bert

In Transit: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription, Polestar Optimized - Est <12/31 Delivery
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

I am running 13.2.2 (but will upgrade to 13.2.3 tonight), and at the first attempt this morning the Parking Climate stated it was ‘Running’, then ‘Temporarily Unavailable’. I then tried Parking Climate again and it actually worked the second time. Car nice and warm when I got into it after about 20 minutes.

I do wonder if somehow this might be related to ambient temp? As my failures all seem to happen when it’s really cold.

Bish

I am running 13.2.2 (but will upgrade to 13.2.3 tonight), and at the first attempt this morning the Parking Climate stated it was ‘Running’, then ‘Temporarily Unavailable’. I then tried Parking Climate again and it actually worked the second time. Car nice and warm when I got into it after about 20 minutes.

I do wonder if somehow this might be related to ambient temp? As my failures all seem to happen when it’s really cold.

Bish
      My failures are often above 50F. If at 40F I see more successful cases.

Bish
      I actually got it to work today using this method.

I reset my timers and I'll see if it continues to work.

I'm scheduled to go into the shop on Thursday for this, but even if it's sorted out it's not a loss as in the interim I've gotten a Suspension Service Required message. Again.
      Current:
      Deceased:

So I’m now on the current iOS and most up-to-date Volvo app and it failed the first time this morning. However it did work when I started Parking Climate a second time. Strange.

This is my first winter with my 2019 S90T8. The scheduler in the android app definitely doesn't work (for me). I set a 6am timer, save it, close the app, go back in, and it's not set. Cannot get it to save, i'll try in the car. I only have 120v/20amp charger. The one time I started the PreCon when I let the dog out it worked, took 1/4 of the charge, but car was toasty.
      I had really thought that it would be able to get heat from the electric coolant while driving (with Addl Heater turned off), but it seems they didn't put a heat exchanger in that coolant loop. Too bad.
      So I don't pre-con now. I just get in, turn the seats on, have the Addl Heater option checked and go to work on B-drive and Pure mode. I'm 9 miles to work and it takes between 1/2 and 3/4 of the charge to get there, and it's only in the 30's and 40's here right now.
      Such is life. I still like the car. I don't feel like the effort of putting in a 220v line to the carport so i'll deal with the 120v/16a charger I got to just charge it every night. I charge it free once I get to work and it gets me home ok.
      I have no chance of getting any software updates done at my dealership, i asked at several visits and while they told me they would, the car came back with "we didn't put any software on it". So I guess I won't get it till 10,000 miles which at this rate is going to be next summer. I never even got May update. I might call them and ask if I can pay for the dang 2019 updates.

^ Does VOC otherwise work (e.g., lock, unlock)?

As others might have suggested, you might want to delete and re-install the VOC app and then retry it.

If that does not work, then give Volvo Customer Care to make sure that your Volvo ID, et al registered correctly. They may have you delete your Volvo ID on Sensus, re-install and try again.

My XC90 T8 is in the shop right now for parking climate issues. They said the electric heater has completely failed. It is also backordered as well...lots of folks having same issues. When driving in EV mode I don’t get any heat. Only after turning on ICE do I get heat out of the vents. If you see “parking climate service required” messages, def take it to the dealer to have them fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by m0digital View Post
      My XC90 T8 is in the shop right now for parking climate issues. They said the electric heater has completely failed. It is also backordered as well...lots of folks having same issues. When driving in EV mode I don’t get any heat. Only after turning on ICE do I get heat out of the vents. If you see “parking climate service required” messages, def take it to the dealer to have them fix it.
      Yeh, mine is replaced too. Parts came overnight. Only see "parking climate temporarily unavailable" message.

The heater is basically an electric oven with on/off control. Don't know how it could fail in just a few years. It seems over-engineered somehow.

Mine is in the shop right now. Heater is on backorder….

Current:
      Deceased:

And they don't try to diagnose it in the first visit. It takes two visits for them to confirm the issue and fix it. Waste of time for both dealer and us.

And they don't try to diagnose it in the first visit. It takes two visits for them to confirm the issue and fix it. Waste of time for both dealer and us.

Seriously.

First visit:
      Me: Here’s what’s wrong, how to reproduce it, what fixed it last time.
      About a week later…
      Volvo: System working as designed. Try having VOC reset your account.

Second visit:
      Me: The other shop said it’s working. It isn’t. Here’s proof it isn’t and video of it not working and the weird sounds it makes.
      About a week later…
      Volvo: we reloaded the software. Maybe it will work now? Give it a try. It works for us sometimes.

Third visit:
      Me: That didn’t do it. Here’s printed out posts from people who had it fixed telling you what Volvo Sweden said needs to be done to diagnose this issue. This is what you need to do. The codes don’t show up in the main computer. Please check the HVCH system directly.
      Couple of days later...
      Volvo: oh. That’s it. Yep. Definitely that. Yep. Parts are on backorder.

Current:
      Deceased:

Parking Climate has now started working almost 100% of the time for me now, so I’m assuming that it was an App/Software issue.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast