Door doesn't close all the way
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Door doesn't close all the way

Hey folks-

I've got an issue where my door doesn't close all the way. It sticks out a couple of mm. I've tried adjusting the striker plate on the sill inwards, but it's inward as far as it will go. The only thread I found on the topic was this one:
      https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=204383
      That thread seems to focus on doors that are off-angle, but does touch on non-closing issues. Seems people point to the windlace as a possible culprit. But it's not clear how I could resolve this other than removing the windlace?

I know the latch itself is a wheel that can rotate around multiple times, unlike other door locks that move to one position and then move back. Are there any adjustments in the door that could help it stay closed. I can put pressure on the door and hold it flush, it just pops back out when I let go.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This is just an uneducated brainstorm, but from what you said, maybe you have the striker plate adjusted so far in that the latch wheel can't get to its fully latched position?

The trick is to eliminate stuff.

Can the door close without the latch and seal in place
      Can the door close and latch without the door seal but the latch in place?
      How worn are the hinges?

My doors fit and latch perfect until I put the door seal in place, then they remain proud by a few mm. Going to give it a year or two before I muck with it any more!

Quote Originally Posted by Weilerbach View Post
      This is just an uneducated brainstorm, but from what you said, maybe you have the striker plate adjusted so far in that the latch wheel can't get to its fully latched position?
      I really thought this was a great idea and had high hopes for it. But I tried tonight and there is actually very little play in either direction. I was able to get it in about 1mm further though. I'll keep trying things. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NOHOME
      Can the door close without the latch and seal in place
      Can the door close and latch without the door seal but the latch in place?
      How worn are the hinges?
      I haven't taken off the seal. It strikes me as one of those parts that once I get it off, it's going to be really hard to get back on, right?
      The hinges seem just fine, then again, they're original and the car has been in use most of it's life. I can't lift the door up and down in place though.

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements