V60 Drive-E new engine - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by john_hamster View Post
      Well, the claim has now been advanced by the adjuster to a third-party vendor for “market-value appraisal”, which suggests to me that a determination will be shortly made to either pay the repair costs for replacement engine, OR a lump-sum payment for (low?) book value and the car taken by the insurer for salvage. Updates will follow.
      Wow. I'm really surprised that they are going down the road to pay out on your claim. All I ever hear about insurance companies is that they go out of their way to deny claims. I haven't had much experience with them, so this, along with wonderlaw's story makes it seem like insurance companies aren't nearly as bad as people always make them out to be. Keep us updated. I hope you don't have to jump through too many more hoops.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Wow. I'm really surprised that they are going down the road to pay out on your claim. All I ever hear about insurance companies is that they go out of their way to deny claims. I haven't had much experience with them, so this, along with wonderlaw's story makes it seem like insurance companies aren't nearly as bad as people always make them out to be. Keep us updated. I hope you don't have to jump through too many more hoops.
      We’ve had Mutual of Enumclaw coverage via AAA membership for ca. 18yrs., and they have been first-class to work with, no exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      It may be worthwhile to consider "buying the car back" after it's totalled and paying for the repairs yourself. If the salvage value is low enough and you like the car enough that may be the way to go. Usually you don't have to actually go through the motions of buying it back, the insurance company will simply deduct the salvage value from what they pay out to you.

This may result in the car having a "rebuilt" or similar mark placed on the title but if your intent is to keep the car for a long time (10+ years) the rebuilt title may not matter.
      If the dealer doesn’t step up and cut a really attractive deal on a lease, we may in fact choose this option, as we really enjoy(ed) the car, great condition, and a big plus with new/rebuilt engine, presumably free of ring/piston/oil consumption issues of early-production Drive-E motors.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It may be worthwhile to consider "buying the car back" after it's totalled and paying for the repairs yourself. If the salvage value is low enough and you like the car enough that may be the way to go. Usually you don't have to actually go through the motions of buying it back, the insurance company will simply deduct the salvage value from what they pay out to you.

This may result in the car having a "rebuilt" or similar mark placed on the title but if your intent is to keep the car for a long time (10+ years) the rebuilt title may not matter.
      If the dealer doesn’t step up and cut a really attractive deal on a lease, we may in fact choose this option, as we really enjoy(ed) the car, great condition, and a big plus with new/rebuilt engine, presumably free of ring/piston/oil consumption issues of early-production Drive-E motors.
      I took that option a year ago when my old S70 was sideswiped on the freeway. State Farm valued the car at a bit over $4,000 FMV before the accident and the salvage value was $250. So I got about $3,800 from State Farm, kept the car (the only damage was cosmetic, but replacing and painting both doors and the rear quarter panel would have been expensive), and am still using it as a parts runner for any messy Home Depot run or things like that. I keep debating selling it but it's mechanically perfect so I just kind of keep using it for hardware runs and the like.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

For a non-attorney policyholder, I heartily concur regarding the cogency of the “$.02” response!
      Seems you've got free legal advice from two attorneys - zenmervolt and wonderlaw. Both are telling you to fight and they told you how to do so under Washington Law. Really hope it works, because honestly, I doubt you're policy will increase enough to offset the $15,000 payout.

I'd say the major concern might be the depreciated value they try and pay. None the less, it can't hurt to try and duke things out, using the knowledge these two very generous individuals offered up.

But his roommate's girlfriend's brother's friend knows a guy who's into cars and says that's all it should cost!
      ...Takes to the guy's house who has cars sitting on blocks in the back yard... Hey man think you can throw this in?

Lots of people join to research and learn about common issues with their cars but see no need to post.

As for your legal analysis of what constitutes a mechanical breakdown... Let's say that I find it rather specious and am not at all convinced that it would hold up over wonderlaw's argument in court. How much contract litigation have you been involved with?

As for why the insurance company would acquiesce, that's simple. If wonderlaw had taken them to court they would have incurred legal costs in excess of the payout to fix the car. As an attorney, wonderlaw's costs of litigation are effectively nil since this sort of civil matter is one in which an attorney can easily represent himself or herself. Wonderlaw had a solid argument and a credible threat of eventual litigation over the policy terms. It would not have been fiscally wise for the insurance company to press the issue.
      I'm not a lawyer, but I think the proper legal term is nuisance settlement. Rather than spend 10's of thousands on lawyer fees, it's easier to say fine, pay your claim, and make you go away. Doesn't mean he'd win in court, but it'd cost far more to litigate

That being said, you and wonderlaw are at an advantage. You are lawyers and the insurance companies are less likely to call your bluff. Few attorneys are going to want to pick up a case like OPs. Let's say the payout is $15K. Attorney takes 1/3rd. $5K isn't bad if it's paperwork based. But if the insurance company called your bluff and decided to duke it out, there's no way an attorney wants to get stuck in a protracted legal battle over a $5K payout.

As the affected party here, let me restate that we never expected an insurance payout for wrecking the engine...we only went down this road after my initial conversation with our carrier’s Claims Dept., where a very helpful rep encouraged us to formally file the claim and let the process play out. And so it has, with the apparent upshot of some sort of settlement on the claim, details forthcoming. Whatever is the final decision, that’s it, we are done and ready to take the next steps necessary to either repair or replace the vehicle, end of story.

As the affected party here, let me restate that we never expected an insurance payout for wrecking the engine...we only went down this road after my initial conversation with our carrier’s Claims Dept., where a very helpful rep encouraged us to formally file the claim and let the process play out. And so it has, with the apparent upshot of some sort of settlement on the claim, details forthcoming. Whatever is the final decision, that’s it, we are done and ready to take the next steps necessary to either repair or replace the vehicle, end of story.
      That's great. I never knew such coverage existed and I appreciate you making folks aware of it!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I took that option a year ago when my old S70 was sideswiped on the freeway. State Farm valued the car at a bit over $4,000 FMV before the accident and the salvage value was $250. So I got about $3,800 from State Farm, kept the car (the only damage was cosmetic, but replacing and painting both doors and the rear quarter panel would have been expensive), and am still using it as a parts runner for any messy Home Depot run or things like that. I keep debating selling it but it's mechanically perfect so I just kind of keep using it for hardware runs and the like.
      It's nice to have an errand car, that's a pretty good payout you got. Insurance companies are quick to collect their premiums every 6 months which tally up to quite a substantial sum when we're loyal customers.

I definitely see how a loyal customer like the OP who has been making his policy payments like clockwork for 18 years may be considered for a payout. Of course in the end it depends on the bean counters and company policy. This is going to be interesting.

Let us know what happens John Hamster, good luck !
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      It's nice to have an errand car, that's a pretty good payout you got. Insurance companies are quick to collect their premiums every 6 months which tally up to quite a substantial sum when we're loyal customers.

I definitely see how a loyal customer like the OP who has been making his policy payments like clockwork for 18 years may be considered for a payout. Of course in the end it depends on the bean counters and company policy. This is going to be interesting.

Let us know what happens John Hamster, good luck !
      In my case though, State Farm was pretty willing to give me a good value on the car because I wasn't at fault. So anything they paid out to me they'll get back from the other driver.

Well, in theory. Turns out that the insurance info the guy who hit me gave me was false so my insurance company is now trying to collect from him, but still. That's their problem now.

I've had three people hit me in the past 5 years, never had any fault assigned to me in any of the incidents, and I've always dealt only with my own insurance company. Never lost any discounts either.

In my case though, State Farm was pretty willing to give me a good value on the car because I wasn't at fault. So anything they paid out to me they'll get back from the other driver.

Well, in theory. Turns out that the insurance info the guy who hit me gave me was false so my insurance company is now trying to collect from him, but still. That's their problem now.

I've had three people hit me in the past 5 years, never had any fault assigned to me in any of the incidents, and I've always dealt only with my own insurance company. Never lost any discounts either.
      Let me be the first to say DASH CAMERA! I had an 18 year old kid rear end my car about 6 months ago. Didn't want to mess with calling police. Figured I got his face and car on video, not much Police are going to do but cite kid. I had some injury (whip lash, bursitis, etc), but nothing necessitating a hoopla over. I drove myself to get checked out.

Long story short, 18 year old kid gives me an insurance card. Also procured driver's license info and then figured it was his mom's policy (woman's name). So after I left, I Go to call his insurance, and found out policy was cancelled. State Farm told me we can't disclose info on former policy holder. Well I tracked down the lady through googling and it ended up being the kid's Grandma. Guess she gave him car. Anyway, I tell grandma if I don't have from Mom in about 15 minutes, I'm taking video down to police. Well Mom calls me, and I give her the same story. I tried being nice, now I'm done. Insurance or I go to cops.

Mom sends me a proper insurance policy. And for posterity sake, I emailed mom a video of her son hitting my car. - In case she thought it was a bluff.

My Point;

Getting it on video makes life a whole lot easier. Some Yahoo hits your car and gives fake info, Let insurance and Police duke it out against at fault. No worries about fake info if you got the guy on Camera committing a crime (hit and skip / fake insurance).
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 11-23-2019 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Let me be the first to say DASH CAMERA! I had an 18 year old kid rear end my car about 6 months ago. Didn't want to mess with calling police. Figured I got his face and car on video, not much Police are going to do but cite kid. I had some injury (whip lash, bursitis, etc), but nothing necessitating a hoopla over. I drove myself to get checked out.

Long story short, 18 year old kid gives me an insurance card. Also procured driver's license info and then figured it was his mom's policy (woman's name). So after I left, I Go to call his insurance, and found out policy was cancelled. State Farm told me we can't disclose info on former policy holder. Well I tracked down the lady through googling and it ended up being the kid's Grandma. Guess she gave him car. Anyway, I tell grandma if I don't have from Mom in about 15 minutes, I'm taking video down to police. Well Mom calls me, and I give her the same story. I tried being nice, now I'm done. Insurance or I go to cops.

Mom sends me a proper insurance policy. And for posterity sake, I emailed mom a video of her son hitting my car. - In case she thought it was a bluff.

My Point;

Getting it on video makes life a whole lot easier. Some Yahoo hits your car and gives fake info, Let insurance and Police duke it out against at fault. No worries about fake info if you got the guy on Camera committing a crime (hit and skip / fake insurance).
      In my state, if there is any injury or if damage to property exceeds $700 you are required to file an accident report with the police (unless an officer is called to the scene and submits their own report). If you do not, the state can suspend your license until you file a report. This is required of all drivers involved in the accident regardless of whether they are at fault.

Doing what you did, in my state (Washington), could technically result in you having your license suspended for failure to report an accident in which a person was injured and property damage exceeded $700.

In my case, all I had to do was provide the report number for the accident report that I filed to my own insurance company, along with the still photos I took at the accident scene (other driver's license, other vehicle, my vehicle, other vehicle's license plate). From that point on, I had no interaction with the other driver and was never asked for any additional information. My insurance company assigned me no fault and cut me a check after a bit of back and forth over the car's pre-accident condition. It was infinitely simpler than tracking down the other driver's family myself and threatening them.

While a dashcam is a good idea, I would never recommend the rest of your method to anyone - it is extremely risky and possibly illegal depending on local law.

We've had our share of bad luck with accidents over the past 15 years of living in New Jersey, my wife has had 4 while I've had 2. As an aggressive driver during my pre-NJ formidable years I had 3 fender benders of which only 1 was my fault. I am lucky to be alive from a horrible accident back in October of 2008 a drunken speeding BMW 5 series going about 100 nearly killed me in my Passat which kept me alive. Cat scan said I was ok but I blacked out as I hit the divider doing a full u-turn against oncoming traffic on a highway due to loss of control being on 3 wheels. Luckily it was around midnight and nobody t-boned me. He was arrested with a DWI with a BAC of about .17 or so ..can't recall. As I became a family man I have learned to take my time and be cautious.

We've been lucky so far, but clearly driving is one of the riskiest activities in the world.

My Point;

Wow ! It's a nice idea to get the dash-cam. My wife has had 2 teenagers hit her during the past 3 years. I joke with her about it sometimes but all kidding aside it's the main reason I got Volvos. Cars can keep you alive even if you're not at fault, sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We always call the police at the scene of the accident. Always get a police report and never rely on your own notes. Once as a kid when I didn't bother to call the police, one of the drivers gave outdated info. Old school works best. Get the other driver's insurance, registration and driver's license number and triple check the dates. But filling out an accident report is no fun. Paperwork, time lost visiting body shops, driving around a loaner, etc. I let the police do the work as back-up and get my own data as well.

At least you were able to track the kid down, but it is risky being confrontational. Nice to have the police there as back-up.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

In my state, if there is any injury or if damage to property exceeds $700 you are required to file an accident report with the police (unless an officer is called to the scene and submits their own report). If you do not, the state can suspend your license until you file a report. This is required of all drivers involved in the accident regardless of whether they are at fault.

Doing what you did, in my state (Washington), could technically result in you having your license suspended for failure to report an accident in which a person was injured and property damage exceeded $700.

In my case, all I had to do was provide the report number for the accident report that I filed to my own insurance company, along with the still photos I took at the accident scene (other driver's license, other vehicle, my vehicle, other vehicle's license plate). From that point on, I had no interaction with the other driver and was never asked for any additional information. My insurance company assigned me no fault and cut me a check after a bit of back and forth over the car's pre-accident condition. It was infinitely simpler than tracking down the other driver's family myself and threatening them.

While a dashcam is a good idea, I would never recommend the rest of your method to anyone - it is extremely risky and possibly illegal depending on local law.
      Reading my state law, it seems reporting isn't mandatory. And police are only required to show if there are injuries or damage over $1k. Either way, no penalties here for not reporting. Per the BMV, no mandatory reporting, either.

That being said, I wasn't advocating people not call the police. But having the accident on camera will unequivocally establish fault, when fault isn't always clear. For example, there may not always be witnesses, fault might be shared or difficult to assess, and the responding police officer isn't necessarily a trained accident investigator if fault isn't open and shut.

Either way, Dash Camera makes life far easier! I had kid's insurance try to wiggle out of fault making up the lamest excuses. Well he was using his car for business purposes. Um really? Well I don't give a damn. Sent them video and they shut up quickly and "changed their mind". Then told them go to hell and retained a lawyer.

It was infinitely simpler than tracking down the other driver's family myself and threatening them.
      Sadly, my mother has been involved in accidents numerous times. Some pretty serious. Hit and Runs (twice in her life). And one other major accident. In one of the hit and runs, she had the guy's information somehow and accident was reported to police. He gave Bogus insurance Information and was never able to collect. Even after taking guy to small claims.

Let's face it. Even if you make an accident report and you give police your insurance card, it's not like they're calling the company to verify the policy is active. Hell, you don't even have to show proof of insurance here at the BMV. They make you sign a paper "stating you have insurance". On top of that, people notoriously get insurance polices to have proof then cancel them. Just so they "have a card" or appear insured.

Neither of which would be avoidable. I had the kids driver's license and everything. But the insurance card was erroneous. So had I not tracked down his family, I had his license and could have reported leaving scene without giving me his correct information.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 11-23-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      We've had our share of bad luck with accidents over the past 15 years of living in New Jersey, my wife has had 4 while I've had 2. As an aggressive driver during my pre-NJ formidable years I had 3 fender benders of which only 1 was my fault. I am lucky to be alive from a horrible accident back in October of 2008 a drunken speeding BMW 5 series going about 100 nearly killed me in my Passat which kept me alive. Cat scan said I was ok but I blacked out as I hit the divider doing a full u-turn against oncoming traffic on a highway due to loss of control being on 3 wheels. Luckily it was around midnight and nobody t-boned me. He was arrested with a DWI with a BAC of about .17 or so ..can't recall. As I became a family man I have learned to take my time and be cautious.

We've been lucky so far, but clearly driving is one of the riskiest activities in the world.

Wow ! It's a nice idea to get the dash-cam. My wife has had 2 teenagers hit her during the past 3 years. I joke with her about it sometimes but all kidding aside it's the main reason I got Volvos. Cars can keep you alive even if you're not at fault, sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We always call the police at the scene of the accident. Always get a police report and never rely on your own notes. Once as a kid when I didn't bother to call the police, one of the drivers gave outdated info. Old school works best. Get the other driver's insurance, registration and driver's license number and triple check the dates. But filling out an accident report is no fun. Paperwork, time lost visiting body shops, driving around a loaner, etc. I let the police do the work as back-up and get my own data as well.

At least you were able to track the kid down, but it is risky being confrontational. Nice to have the police there as back-up.
      I've got a front and rear Dash Camera that runs while park and while driving. Hardwired to fuse box.

Far as "tracking kid down". Well I had his driver's license so his identity wasn't a mystery. But the insurance card was in a Woman's Name. This was an 18 year old kid. So I presumed it to be his mother's car + insurance. I.E. Kid is insured under his parents and listed as an authorized driver. The card was expired (didn't notice), but again, this 18 year old kid probably hadn't been driving long and was a bit clueless.

Had the cops were called, nothing would have changed, except at fault would have been cited for accident and X time to show proof of insurance. Or risk being reported to BMV. I had kids Name / Address (from driver's license). Just omitted getting his phone number. A simple google of insurance card lead to me grandma, who then called mom. Sure, I stated I had a video (and indeed I did). But again, what would have changed with Police being there?

1. He didn't have valid proof of insurance and Police Officer couldn't change that one.
      2. He rear ended me and would have been cited. But I had that on video anyway. So not like there was dispute in fault.

Not advocating people to avoid calling cops, just didn't make all that much sense. I drove myself to hospital afterwards to get checked out. Had some injury (whip lash, bursistis,etc) but nothing life threatening that needed me squaded over there in an ambulance.

Far as cars...

My last Volvo was hit at 65-100 MPH by a kid fleeing the police in an SUV. Family member was driver. Course kid had no insurance and courts didn't do crap all to him criminally (minor). And if I recall, the kid didn't have a valid license anyway. Not like having NO INSURANCE and NO DRIVERS license ever prevented someone from getting behind the wheel. Happens all too often here. My mom is a damn magnet for these folks.

I've got a front and rear Dash Camera that runs while park and while driving. Hardwired to fuse box.

Far as "tracking kid down". Well I had his driver's license so his identity wasn't a mystery. But the insurance card was in a Woman's Name. This was an 18 year old kid. So I presumed it to be his mother's car + insurance. I.E. Kid is insured under his parents and listed as an authorized driver. The card was expired (didn't notice), but again, this 18 year old kid probably hadn't been driving long and was a bit clueless.

Had the cops were called, nothing would have changed, except at fault would have been cited for accident and X time to show proof of insurance. Or risk being reported to BMV. I had kids Name / Address (from driver's license). Just omitted getting his phone number. A simple google of insurance card lead to me grandma, who then called mom. Sure, I stated I had a video (and indeed I did). But again, what would have changed with Police being there?

1. He didn't have valid proof of insurance and Police Officer couldn't change that one.
      2. He rear ended me and would have been cited. But I had that on video anyway. So not like there was dispute in fault.

Not advocating people to avoid calling cops, just didn't make all that much sense. I drove myself to hospital afterwards to get checked out. Had some injury (whip lash, bursistis,etc) but nothing life threatening that needed me squaded over there in an ambulance.

Far as cars...

My last Volvo was hit at 65-100 MPH by a kid fleeing the police in an SUV. Family member was driver. Course kid had no insurance and courts didn't do crap all to him criminally (minor). And if I recall, the kid didn't have a valid license anyway. Not like having NO INSURANCE and NO DRIVERS license ever prevented someone from getting behind the wheel. Happens all too often here. My mom is a damn magnet for these folks.
      Man, pouring coolant into the engine crankcase doesn’t compare to what you’ve described!

Far as cars...

It sounds like you are right, nothing much would have changed if you called the police. That is because you were obsessed with handling everything yourself. Those of us that pay for insurance and aren't afraid to use it when an insurable event occurs, would have just called our insurance company and had them handle everything - ESPECIALLY if we felt the need to visit the hospital. I was a patrolman for 7 years in a city, so tracking down idiots without licenses and BS insurance was my JOB. Even with that experience, I can't imagine a scenario where I would EVER do what you did if I had insurance on my car, dash cam video or not.

That being said, having video of a crash is always preferable to not having video. I don't have a dash cam, but I would eventually like to get around to putting one in my car and my wife's car. I wholeheartedly support your recommendation that everyone get a dash cam, even if I am 100% opposed to anyone ever doing what you did because you had dash cam video.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      It sounds like you are right, nothing much would have changed if you called the police. That is because you were obsessed with handling everything yourself. Those of us that pay for insurance and aren't afraid to use it when an insurable event occurs, would have just called our insurance company and had them handle everything - ESPECIALLY if we felt the need to visit the hospital. I was a patrolman for 7 years in a city, so tracking down idiots without licenses and BS insurance was my JOB. Even with that experience, I can't imagine a scenario where I would EVER do what you did if I had insurance on my car, dash cam video or not.

That being said, having video of a crash is always preferable to not having video. I don't have a dash cam, but I would eventually like to get around to putting one in my car and my wife's car. I wholeheartedly support your recommendation that everyone get a dash cam, even if I am 100% opposed to anyone ever doing what you did because you had dash cam video.
      I am in an at fault state. My insurance company is handling things along with an attorney. I have uninsured and underinsured riders on my policy, along with full coverage. So covered no matter what happens. I am just not sure if the claim is going under my policy to subrogate against at fault or directly through at faults policy. Really doesn't matter at end of day. My insurance has paid out some on policy for medical bills and my insurance will get reimbursed at least partially depending upon kid's coverage.

Not afraid to use insurance, just felt that there was 0 benefit to police showing up. Again, they care less about driving without insurance here and do very little to stemmie the problem. I kid you not, the only thing you do here is sign paperwork affirming you have insurance. No checking of policy required at BMV.

Anyway, everything worked out in the end. I had kids drivers license with address along with his make, model, year of vehicle. And kids face and accident on camera. Wouldn't have been much effort to file a police report post accident and establish same set of events as if Police officer had arrived.

Aside note:

Installing Dash Camera as a newbie was a bit tedious but I've done the process twice now. Once on my car and once on my mother's, who is the world's largest accident magnet for uninsured drivers. To do so proper is a bit of a pain, but isn't a monumental effort. On an S60 you need to remove the A and C pillar covers and tuck wire behind side curtain. Never just tuck the wire, because it will then cross over the airbag and could prevent proper deployment. Then hardwire to fuse box. I picked the Power Seat for battery (always on) and Heated Seats (Accessory) for when the car is started and camera needs juice. Black wire will be ground.

Well, insurance carrier has spoken via voice-mail, missed the calls, but they reckon the car is a “write-off”, but valuing it at $22000 (!)...the agent will call on Monday next to present our “options”, but apparently the Co. has already arranged for a towaway from dealer’s service shop. It’s all rather vague at the moment, and we’re not quite sure what the implications of those messages are, but it certainly looks as though human error gets coverage under Comprehensive...stay tuned.

Well, insurance carrier has spoken via voice-mail, missed the calls, but they reckon the car is a “write-off”, but valuing it at $22000 (!)...the agent will call on Monday next to present our “options”, but apparently the Co. has already arranged for a towaway from dealer’s service shop. It’s all rather vague at the moment, and we’re not quite sure what the implications of those messages are, but it certainly looks as though human error gets coverage under Comprehensive...stay tuned.
      1. What insurance provider? Sheesh, they are over evaluating the car and not arguing at all? Tis a miracle.

2. Cash that check soon as its in hand! It's an early Christmas / Festivus / Hanukah, etc!

Well the lawyers did say it was possible in Washington. Seems you lucked out. Bummer total write off but $22,000 is a hefty down payment on a new one1

1. What insurance provider? Sheesh, they are over evaluating the car and not arguing at all? Tis a miracle.

2. Cash that check soon as its in hand! It's an early Christmas / Festivus / Hanukah, etc!

Well the lawyers did say it was possible in Washington. Seems you lucked out. Bummer total write off but $22,000 is a hefty down payment on a new one1
      Not counting the money yet...no specifics spelled out re: “options”, just two voice-mail updates, but suggestions are that there will be a payout, since the insurer has arranged for the car to be towed out of the Volvo service shop.
      Already shopping around, seems like a 2019 V90 CC may be the way to go, as Volvo piling on incentives and dealers offering deep discounts. Will miss the excellent fuel economy of the Drive-E FWD, however,

Did a quick check and found listings for 2015 and 2016 V60 T5 Platinums and pricing ranges from about $18k to $24k. Maybe a little overvalued at $22k on the high side of FMV, but still in the range.
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Wagon, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
      Did a quick check and found listings for 2015 and 2016 V60 T5 Platinums and pricing ranges from about $18k to $24k. Maybe a little overvalued at $22k on the high side of FMV, but still in the range.
      Confirmed by agent...$22000 valuation due to Pt Edition, plus other add-ons, paid in full...and there you have it.

Confirmed by agent...$22000 valuation due to Pt Edition, plus other add-ons, paid in full...and there you have it.
      What add-ons?

I spec'ed on on KBB a 2015.5 T5 Platinum FWD V60 with 57,000 mile with Climate, Convenience, Technology, and BLIS Package in your zip code, and I got back a figure of $18,300??? Am I missing something?

What add-ons?

I spec'ed on on KBB a 2015.5 T5 Platinum FWD V60 with 57,000 mile with Climate, Convenience, Technology, and BLIS Package in your zip code, and I got back a figure of $18,300??? Am I missing something?
      I found actual listings. Low end was $18k. High end CPO was around $24.5k.

When I totalled a car in the past, I negotiated a higher payout due to actual market value being higher than book value.
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Wagon, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
      I found actual listings. Low end was $18k. High end CPO was around $24.5k.

When I totalled a car in the past, I negotiated a higher payout due to actual market value being higher than book value.
      You go by dealer CPO Price on KBB or just bring up listings as your argument for value?

Congratulations OP!
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

What add-ons?

Pt Edition, Technology package, Convenience package, BLIS, and not sure if below-average annual mileage (ca. 11K) figured in.

Glad to hear that the insurance company is going to make it right. I have seen others who were not made right after such a mistake.

Regarding the dash cam, some insurance companies (Nationwide) may offer a discount if you install one in combination with a tracker that plugs into your OBD port. It's good protection for teen drivers and good protection against hit and run. You may never see a dime from the person at fault but your insurance company will certainly use any and all data you can provide to try!

Regarding using 0W-20 in an engine spec'ed for 5W-30, The engine won't be damaged under lighter driving but if the engine is clearanced for the heavier oil you can expect some additional oil burn switching to the lighter oil. I have done this switch on a E450 Ford that called for 5W-20, an XC60 T6 and 05 S60 2.5T that both called for 5W-30, and a Jeep liberty that called for 0W-20. All burned the 0W-20 in differing amounts. Switching back to the factory specified weights stopped the burn in three and reduced it in the high mileage S60. The S60 needs a turbo rebuild and will burn oil until that is fixed. I tried the lighter weight synthetic oil across three brands with the same results.
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD
      2014 XC60 T6 AWD

Didn't learn from the 2005s repair bills and brought home a second. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess

Pt Edition, Technology package, Convenience package, BLIS, and not sure if below-average annual mileage (ca. 11K) figured in.
      Weird but I'm sure no complaints on your end! Doubt you're going to file a complaint over an extra $4,000!

Quote Originally Posted by JonE1976 View Post
      Glad to hear that the insurance company is going to make it right. I have seen others who were not made right after such a mistake.

Regarding the dash cam, some insurance companies (Nationwide) may offer a discount if you install one in combination with a tracker that plugs into your OBD port. It's good protection for teen drivers and good protection against hit and run. You may never see a dime from the person at fault but your insurance company will certainly use any and all data you can provide to try!

Regarding using 0W-20 in an engine spec'ed for 5W-30, The engine won't be damaged under lighter driving but if the engine is clearanced for the heavier oil you can expect some additional oil burn switching to the lighter oil. I have done this switch on a E450 Ford that called for 5W-20, an XC60 T6 and 05 S60 2.5T that both called for 5W-30, and a Jeep liberty that called for 0W-20. All burned the 0W-20 in differing amounts. Switching back to the factory specified weights stopped the burn in three and reduced it in the high mileage S60. The S60 needs a turbo rebuild and will burn oil until that is fixed. I tried the lighter weight synthetic oil across three brands with the same results.
      My Dash Camera has already paid itself off on 3 occasions.

1. I was backed into at a low speed and front bumper was replaced. (Old camera) - No Hardwire

New Camera

1. Kid rear ended my vehicle and his insurance initially tried to balk at the claim, until handed them video. His insurance relented immediately, but told them my attorney has the video. Not playing games. Matter of settling out the claim now.

2. My car was just hit by debris flung at my car at high speed. Going to get adjuster to check it over. Have video.

Dash Cameras are an unbiased eye.

Switching from 5w30 to 0w20 oil

It seems our Volvos were designed with 0w20 in mind, but that 0w20 wasn't readily available, so Volvo substituted with Castrol 5w30. Or that is my personal take and understanding from what's been described. So I wonder if switching from the heavier 5w30 to 0w20 in an S60 would cause any adverse affects, since the engine was built with 0w20 in mind? But I have used 5w30 for last 60k miles. My engine is under the affected models with piston ring problem, but I have never experienced the issue thus far.

Used a decent chunk of insurance settlement as down payment on a leased 2019 V90 CC, which carried huge dealer purchase/lease incentives through 2December. Took a solemn oath before witnesses to never open hood again under any circumstances, not even to top up windscreen washer fluid, under penalty of hand dismemberment!

Used a decent chunk of insurance settlement as down payment on a leased 2019 V90 CC, which carried huge dealer purchase/lease incentives through 2December. Took a solemn oath before witnesses to never open hood again under any circumstances, not even to top up windscreen washer fluid, under penalty of hand dismemberment!
      Why? You traded up to a 2019 V90 CC and got MORE THAN FAIR market value! Hell, come on over and take a gander at my 15.5 S60!

Why? You traded up to a 2019 V90 CC and got MORE THAN FAIR market value! Hell, come on over and take a gander at my 15.5 S60!
      Now known as Dr. Death amongst Volvo people...I’ll even bring my own jug of antifreeze.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast