MY: 2017 xc90 T6 Momentum Plus Coolant Leak - lower radiator hose
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

This weekend I discovered that my 2017 xc90 T6 Momentum Plus has leaked all of the engine coolant. The tank was entirely empty well below minimum. The only indicator I had of such an issue is the car saying low engine coolant. The car does not have a engine temperature gauge, and the coolant reservoir is hidden underneath the passenger side plastic cowling near the wiper blade.

I was parked at home and discovered the lower radiator hose where it enters the engine has coolant residue. It is made of plastic and cracked due to poor quality, or simply because plastic can't handle very hot pressurized coolant. The hose is located between the engine and air filter housing, under the hood and close to the driver's side.

The car is at the dealership now, and volvo is going to warranty the repair. The car did not overheat (luckily) and we weren't left stranded.

My car is a 2017 model with 24,600 miles and is garaged every night. The car is not abused and still has original tires.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by rahul1023; 11-22-2019 at 08:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've seen a few of those leak. Don't worry, you didn't leak out all of your coolant.

The dreaded ‘Spider hose’ issue?

Anyone being told that these cars all use coolant need to look for a leak under the hood. It’s subtle but there.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Pretty sure there is a recall for that.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

There is no recall for the referenced hose.

Quote Originally Posted by rahul1023 View Post
      This weekend I discovered that my 2017 xc90 T6 Momentum Plus has leaked all of the engine coolant. The tank was entirely empty well below minimum. The only indicator I had of such an issue is the car saying low engine coolant. The car does not have a engine temperature gauge, and the coolant reservoir is hidden underneath the passenger side plastic cowling near the wiper blade.

I was parked at home and discovered the Lower Radiator where it enters the engine has coolant residue. It is made of plastic and cracked due to poor quality, or simply because plastic can't handle very hot pressurized coolant. The hose is located between the engine and air filter housing, under the hood and close to the driver's side.

The car is at the dealership now, and volvo is going to warranty the repair. The car did not overheat (luckily) and we weren't left stranded.

My car is a 2017 model with 24,600 miles and is garaged every night. The car is not abused and still has original tires.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
      You are saying that the radiator itself cracked? Radiators have used plastic now for many decades without any problems. Or are you saying that the hose is leaking? I would be surprised to hear that the radiator itself cracked. My upper hose which is actually several hoses mated together started to leak at one of the connections. The hose to hose connection was a weak point that began to give way. I am not necessarily surprised in that having a number of connections increases the number of failure points. My leak was just beginning and thus did not leave a puddle on the floor. I could just see the oozing at the connection. Not a big deal in my mind
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gone
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars) gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2005 and 2006 Prius both gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      1999 Lexus GS400 Exhaust, Intake, ECU Chipped gone
      1991 NSX Exhaust gone after 5 years
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

I am trying to post pictures, but the links aren't working. They ended up replacing the Lower Radiator hose on the engine, and refilled the system. The car is working again. The part that failed is #32224779. It leaked at the plastic flex joint, not sure why that is there. Volvo took the part back to investigate the failure. The hose itself costs $70 online, and the dealership billed the manufacturer $370 to repair the issue.

As noted in the old days a lower radiator hose as well as an upper were simply hoses that were generally short and connected from the radiator to the engine block. When a hose failed it was usually many years old and you could see where it was beginning to either crack or was bulging. Rarely did a hose leak at the connector unless the clamp somehow became loose. Our hoses on the XC90 are very complex in comparison. They now connect to many other places on the engine and serve many functions. It reminds me of the complex cable assemblies that are in modern cars today. Every kink or connection is a point of failure. In Hi Reliability situations the manufacturer would perform FMEA of the design, process, and even the manufacturing to determine points of failure and the likelihood as well as the consequence of same. If you think about it, hoses are not only crucial but also potentially weak points for failure. Can you imagine if our veins and arteries were outside our bodies? We would be in great peril. The hose that failed on my car (upper) as well as the one that failed for Rahul1023 were surprisingly inexpensive, which might suggest a lesser quality control effort. If these hoses were on an expensive or life dependent piece of equipment I could see a pressure test prior to delivery to route out weak or on the edge of performance criteria. This would impact the cost however. Who ever manufacturers these hoses probably makes hundreds of thousands on a yearly basis and should be focused on process control techniques to insure that all hoses delivered exceed the specifications.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gone
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars) gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2005 and 2006 Prius both gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      1999 Lexus GS400 Exhaust, Intake, ECU Chipped gone
      1991 NSX Exhaust gone after 5 years
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements