Time for a battery
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Time for a battery

After 6 years, my battery appears to be on life-support (literally, as the voltage reads 14+V when running but drops to 12 or so immediately after cutting the engine)

First off, for those that have replaced batteries recently, where are you getting your direct-vent batteries and what warranty have you been seeing offered? In AZ, everyone stopped offering any type of warranty beyond 1 year free replacement (no pro-rata) except on top-tier batteries, but they still wouldn't warranty out past 2 years. Locally, VatoZone says they have pro-rata warranties in place, but the Interstate dealer says theirs are gone. Not sure if the Duralast has any direct-vent options, as past inquiries were in passing, not serious shopping.

Secondly, has anyone noticed that a worn out battery was affecting boost and power? Morning temps are in the 40s and 50s currently and even after 2 miles of warming up the engine, I am not even getting 10 lbs boost and the feeling is very sluggish. I got really personal with the charge pipe connector at the turbo and cannot feel any breaks in the hose, although I will be replacing it with silicone next week when I drain the coolant and replace all those hoses. Its been sluggish ever since I arrived in FL except for a small space of time over the summer when I got all my power back. I trailered the car to get it here, but some readers may recall all my whining posts about the lack of power over the last 2 years, as I can't seem to find any reason for it.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon in progress...
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have a DieHard AGM for 7 years now. It survived a crash, which ended up replacing the car's chassis. Sold V70 with Duralast AGM that was running for couple of years w/o problems. My next battery will be AGM as well, when DieHard starts showing signs. However, XC70 has the battery in the trunk, where it is not heated by the engine (AGM and heat are not compatible), so it literally rejects to die.

My OEM battery lasted somewhere around 9 years until the polar vortex last winter did it in (parked at Chicago O'hare for a week of sub zero temps and came back to a completely dead car, that was fun).

I can't remember where I heard it, but remmeber hearing Volvo basically private labeled interstate batteries for OEM, so I bought an interstate battery direct from an interstate retailer, no auto parts store middleman, the guy gave me a deal so I didn't even shop around or hit Costco, I think I bought the larger of the sizes, Mega-Tron Plus MTP-48/H6-1 (CCA 730/CA 910/RC 115/70 Ah)
      The OEM Volvo battery was labeled 600 A/70 Ah/120 min reserve

Warranty is strong, first 2.5 years month full replacement then it progressively steps down until you get a 10% discount up to 72 months.
      The daily, 2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1, need gone NLT 1/30/2020 - sale post: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...D-White-Oak-6k

The classic cruiser, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
      Secondly, has anyone noticed that a worn out battery was affecting boost and power? Morning temps are in the 40s and 50s currently and even after 2 miles of warming up the engine, I am not even getting 10 lbs boost and the feeling is very sluggish. I got really personal with the charge pipe connector at the turbo and cannot feel any breaks in the hose, although I will be replacing it with silicone next week when I drain the coolant and replace all those hoses. Its been sluggish ever since I arrived in FL except for a small space of time over the summer when I got all my power back. I trailered the car to get it here, but some readers may recall all my whining posts about the lack of power over the last 2 years, as I can't seem to find any reason for it....
      And I mean, our cars hate low voltage, but the battery is the primarily the starting mechanism, beyond that the car uses the alternator to power everything, so I'm not sure how that connection would happen.

Usually a bad battery makes various systems start showing malfunction codes, but the boost mechanism seems to be a different circuit, wonder if you have a minor vacuum leak somewhere?
      The daily, 2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1, need gone NLT 1/30/2020 - sale post: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...D-White-Oak-6k

Quote Originally Posted by spiked60 View Post
      And I mean, our cars hate low voltage, but the battery is the primarily the starting mechanism, beyond that the car uses the alternator to power everything, so I'm not sure how that connection would happen.
      When the NiMH battery dies in alarm siren, it constantly draws power from the battery. NiMH battery does die in alarm siren, no exclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
      When the NiMH battery dies in alarm siren, it constantly draws power from the battery. NiMH battery does die in alarm siren, no exclusions.
      Correct, I'm not saying things won't draw off the battery when the car is off (OK, even on), but that parasitic draw I find hard to associate to a mechanical influence on the actual engine performance since the turbo and vacuum system are mechanical.

I would be led to believe the alarm siren module draws less than turning on the headlights so that in theory wouldn't negatively impact the alternators ability to completely run the car and all other ECU's as normal, but, I am not an expert, nor an electrical engineer with Volvo, and I go back to the first statement, our cars hate low voltage, so anything is possible

Quote Originally Posted by spiked60 View Post

Usually a bad battery makes various systems start showing malfunction codes, but the boost mechanism seems to be a different circuit, wonder if you have a minor vacuum leak somewhere?
      I still get almost -20 Hg when idling, so I don't think that could be a vacuum leak.

vtl: just over a week ago, I was working on the pass door window, and I couldn't get the door card back on, so I was out there bothering with it for 20-30 min. It killed the battery, and I took it to get charged. They juiced it up and tested it, and the (regularly unreliable) tester stated bad battery. We popped off the caps and looked in the cells: 1 was low and the top of the cell looked fried/corroded. 2 other cells were low. I took it home, topped all 3 off and it spent the night on the trickle charger just in case. I've noticed that startup seems just a bit weak, especially first thing in the morning. 1 1/2 - 2 sec instead of the normal milliseconds to start.

And no, I didn't think that the battery and boost control were related, but I thought to ask, in case something surprising is going on under hood.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

Battery and boost control can be related as follows:
      A weak to dead battery may draw a much higher charge current then a good battery. The higher current, especially just after starting, comes from he alternator.
      So just after starting, when the engine is cold, the weak battery can be putting maximum load on the alternator, which in turn puts mechanical load on the engine, thus robbing fit of some power. Which you may notice.

Alternator load at maximum power can be a few horsepower...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just get a sealed agm battery and you won't have to worry about the venting. I use a XS Power d3400 for my audio build. But I will also be adding another one lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So if a battery reads 12.6 at rest, it is still good. Mine was just above that. Think I may hold off just a bit longer. But it is winter, so it won't be for too long I'm sure.

Warning to fellow readers, though. If your lead-acid battery is several years old, check its electrolyte level. I could have avoided damaging a cell if I paid better attention.
      Oh, and use distilled water to top it off.
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

Group 49/H8 is larger and fit in location with original hardware.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

Antherzoll, does that battery have a vent?
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

I've just been using WalMart batteries on these cars and they work fine and are priced well. I think the last one was an Everstart and has the direct vent capability.

On Antherzoll's pic above you can see the vent on the right side of the battery.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I get all mine from the Ford dealer. All the Motorcrafts that I've had lasted over 8 years.

One thing to consider for cars like the P2 XC70s with the battery in the passenger compartment is hydrogen gas venting safety. The cars come with a vented battery for a reason. So called "sealed" batteries only remain sealed if the gas pressure inside doesn't exceed its blow-off valve....then it expels the hydrogen gas into the spare-tire chamber, and on to the passenger area. An explosion of battery H2 gas could deafen you permanently (happened to my mom in one ear). That's why I put a vented battery in this car.

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
      Antherzoll, does that battery have a vent?
      Yes. Look at the bottom right corner and you'll see the vent. A plastic 90* with a hose which vents outside the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Yes. Look at the bottom right corner and you'll see the vent. A plastic 90* with a hose which vents outside the vehicle.
      Looked like it. Just wanted confirmation.
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

I still have the original battery in my 07' V70. Still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by bmassy View Post
      Just get a sealed agm battery and you won't have to worry about the venting. I use a XS Power d3400 for my audio build. But I will also be adding another one lol.

I had to Google this battery. Their website doesn't list CCA for the Group 48, and it's crazy expensive to boot. Any reason why I should continue researching it? Or should I track down a battery like Antherzoll's (but I don't think I'll still be able to fit the compact spare...)?
      2002 V70 2.4 N/A. 261k miles. Totaled for the second time November 16, 2016, RIP. - "Elin"
      2004 S60 2.5T AWD (crossword hints for the bold) - "Håkan"

Quote Originally Posted by metalbender View Post
      I had to Google this battery. Their website doesn't list CCA for the Group 48, and it's crazy expensive to boot. Any reason why I should continue researching it? Or should I track down a battery like Antherzoll's (but I don't think I'll still be able to fit the compact spare...)?
      That's your call, spare would fit with this battery as well. I used to have the spare in their before it became the home of an amp rack lol. XS power batteries are tailored for power intensive audio systems for vehicles. They don't list a CCA number only CA number of 1150A @ 32°F (30 seconds without dropping below 7.2v) they list a max amp number which equates to what they call "burst" amperage (3300A). They do make specific starter batteries as well, I think its the S series but I'd have to look it up. I've had this battery for 5yrs now no problems. Purchased it mainly to help with voltage drop in a previous vehicle with my sound system. They're a big name in the car audio industry.

I'm pretty sure the spare will still fit as the battery uses Factory Mount locations. The battery is 3" longer with the same height and width

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements