Curious Engine Noise Now Occurs During Off-Throttle Coast
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Curious Engine Noise Now Occurs During Off-Throttle Coast

Does anyone know what a R.E.A.D. unit failing or entering failure sounds like? I hate to ask this question, but this is where my mind is going.

I had the rear-motor mount replaced ~3 weeks ago, and when I got it back I noticed a strange sound from the engine.
      It's somewhere between a faint metallic whine and gritty hum that only occurs off-throttle. Sound seems like it emanating from the rear right side of the engine.

It is not present during warm up or idle. I don't hear it during acceleration or steady throttle. Only when I lift and coast the engine.

I first wrote if off as my ears playing a trick on me or perhaps hearing old and natural sounds masked by the engine rattling with blown mounts, but I don't recall hearing this at all before and as the temperatures dropped into the freezing ranges the past 2 weeks it has become more pronounced during cold start driving.

My belts and idler pulley are only 16 months old.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The R.E.A.D. issue would be heard in almost all cases. Can you describe the metallic noise a little more and are there vibrations on or off load? Do you hear anything with the hood up?

Some things it could also be for a metallic sound are the passenger side axle bearing (on the inner shaft carrier), the mount that connects to the passenger side axle carrier (Anchorage), the hub bearing, CV, flex pipe, heatshield, center resonator outer shell (known to rust and hang), etc.

You might need to be the passenger and listen to the noise for a proper listening assessment.

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../30723914.html
      https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../31367476.html
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 143k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

Ok, well that's good to know re: R.E.A.D being a constant noise and not only during a load/no load condition.

The iPhone voice note record feature is surprisingly sensitive. If I can capture some usable audio tonight or tomorrow, I'll post it.

No, no vibrations detected but my brother is coming by this weekend as a second set of ears. I'm going to have him stick his head around the passenger footwell and dash as I'm coming on/off the accelerator to see if he can get a better bead on the sound's location.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements