REAL 100% synthetic oil
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

REAL 100% synthetic oil

Folks if an engine oil manufacturer DOES NOT specifically list Group IV and Group V components in their "synthetic oil" then the product IS NOT 100% synthetic. Rather, it is Group I,II or III petroleum base stock, improved refining as the Group designation increases. Manufacturers then add some true synthetic components such as some PAO's and other constituents to improve product performance and marketing tag lines. Show me the PDS!

Group IV products are PAO base stocks, polyalphaolephin. Look up PAO. Group IV base stock is used in conjunction with Group V stock which are esters: like polyglycol and silicone.
      Superior to any lesser engine oil. I have seen first hand and cleaned oil GUNK deposits from Dino oils off of the interior of V8 engine blocks. True synthetic does not leave that kind of deposit. Turbo engines REQUIRE top quality synth oils for best performance and longevity. Look it up.

My research says GERMAN made Castrol Edge is a true synthetic since it is a PAO base. Apparently the Euro's have more stringent standards. But where can this be found in the US? I am searching. I soon take possession of a Volvo 2020 XC60 Momentum T6 AWD. Volvo says it fills the engine with Castrol Edge. Presume this is the Euro made stuff superior to US made Castrol Edge. Still I don't like the long 10k service interval. I will likely just go in for the free software update, which I guess is a good idea. Never had a car before that needed a software update.

If anyone reading this has automotive questions, message me. I am a former engine builder, bare block up. NOT THE expert, but I know a lot in general about auto maintenance and repair. If I cannot competently address your question I will say so. I read so much misinformation on car forums that I like to dispel misleading info where ever I can, if I can.. There are some folks on this forum who provide sound info.

I plan to have REDLINE true synthetic put in my car after oh, about 5k of break-in. True full synthetic oil is NOT recommended to be used in much older engines previously run on plain Jane Dino oil. True synth oils have components that can erode OLD seals causing leaks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ranchhand1 View Post
      True full synthetic oil is NOT recommended to be used in much older engines previously run on plain Jane Dino oil. True synth oils have components that can erode OLD seals causing leaks.
      Not sure what you mean by "much older", but these are generally the most repeated myths about synthetic oil you find on forums like these.

Awesome. Newb with a Synthetic Oil debate. Like there aren't 10 million of these already. Great Post.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

You guys are harsh. Give the guy a break. Heís new.

I donít buy that myth about not mixing synth with natural oil, either. I think itís an old wives tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyboy View Post
      You guys are harsh. Give the guy a break. Heís new.

I donít buy that myth about not mixing synth with natural oil, either. I think itís an old wives tale.
      They already sell it premixed. But why?

I don't think I'm being harsh. I find it funny he wants to dispel the misinformation he reads on auto forums and then goes on to add to that misinformation.

To the OP. If you like to have the 100% synthetic then just get the red line or Motul has the one that is Volvo specific for the drive-e and be happy with it. That is what I did in Europe. 4K km motul in and Iím happy till the 10k service in states. I doubt there will ever be an issue using the so called fully synthetic oil as long as it is the correct spec and approved by Volvo. But for all the fanatics (my self included) 100% synthetic just makes me feel little better, therefore I will use it if available and affordable. If not there are plenty of approved oils that are fully synthetic and will protect the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know more than you.

Got it. I'll keep that in mind if I need any help.

Quote Originally Posted by ranchhand1 View Post
      i know more than you.
      2010 XC60 T6 Sapphire Black Metallic (TFT DIM retrofit, DynoMax muffler, Eibach lowering springs & Koni struts, HardRace adjustable rear toe arms)
      2004 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon 2.5 White Frost Pearl (Also mine) | 2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 AWD Olympic White (Hers)

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements