remote start heat/AC
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

remote start heat/AC

seems kind of pointless to me that I can't remote start and drive away like other cars.
      But even more pointless is it doesn't remote start and turn on what ever was left on heat/AC wise.
      Mine just starts the car, but no seat/wheel heat or cabin heat, even though it was parked with those on.
      Or is my '18 T5 just too lowly? Or Broken?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My 2018 V90CC T6 uses whatever settings the seat/wheel and cabin heat were on when the car was parked during remote start - the car is toasty warm when I get in. Haven’t used remote start in warmer weather, but assume AC would do the same.
      Dealer advised that as a security feature, key must be in the vehicle and start knob turned, before you can drive away.
      Last edited by Landlord; 11-21-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Sounds like there may be some issue with your car? Where are you located?

Ours uses whatever the last climate settings were plus the automatic settings for seat heaters and steering wheel heat. And then we walk up to car (with key) get in, while car continues to run, turn the engine start knob and drive off.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My keeps the previous climate settings as well when I remote start. In addition it turns on seat and steering wheel heat if below 45F. (My new Mercedes lease will keep the climate settings but will not turn on seat or wheel heat. And strangely enough, the engine shuts down once you unlock the door.)

hmmm, NY. I'll call the dealer.
      Just found the auto setting for seat & wheel heat. Perhaps that is what also triggers the rest of climate control and drive away.
      Try again today and see.
      Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by metropical View Post
      hmmm, NY. I'll call the dealer.
      Just found the auto setting for seat & wheel heat. Perhaps that is what also triggers the rest of climate control and drive away.
      Try again today and see.
      Thanks for the input.
      The auto seat heater and steering wheel heater settings don't impact the get in and drive away functionality. I say that because we used the remote start on occasion in the summer to cool the car down and obviously the heating function is disabled then.

Just to be clear though, can you walk through what you do?

1. So you park your car at night leaving the climate settings as you might want them in the morning, and you lock it, right?
      2. In the morning you use the VoC app to remote start the car?
      3. You walk up to the car, leaving your key in your pocket, unlock the car and get in?
      4. As you sit there, is the car still running? If yes, it should say something about remote start on the gauge cluster, and does not allow you to shift into gear. All you need to do is put your foot on the brake and turn the start knob, as if the car had been off. The car keeps running, but the gauge cluster and center stack fully wake up to whomever's driver settings are linked to the key that entered. (prior to that, the center stack climate settings should say "OFF" even though everything is actually running)

Although not the overnight, yes, except, number 4.
      This is when I park at the rail station. I set turn on time for 6 mins which more than enough for me to walk to the car, which is till running when I unlock and get in.
      It turns off when I turn the Start knob. I've tried with and without the brake pedal.

Although not the overnight, yes, except, number 4.
      This is when I park at the rail station. I set turn on time for 6 mins which more than enough for me to walk to the car, which is till running when I unlock and get in.
      It turns off when I turn the Start knob. I've tried with and without the brake pedal.
      Is your seatbelt fastened, and door closed, when you turn the knob?

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Is your seatbelt fastened, and door closed, when you turn the knob?
      hmmmm, I think so. But I'll have to be more conscience of when I strap in.

hmmmm, I think so. But I'll have to be more conscience of when I strap in.
      I'm just trying to guess what could be causing it to cut out, since ours has never done that. In fact, knowing that it kept running even after we unlocked it to load the kids in was a huge plus over our outgoing Highlander. With the Highlander the remote start would stop the second you opened the door.

Saved Driver profiles (except guest) and any associated Key FOB can affect the default settings.

Have you ever created a driver profile? Have you ever associated a driver profile to a key FOB? Have you saved and lock the driver profile? All of those things can affect how parking climate and remote start work.

Read the manual on driver profiles, if you haven’t. Review the Q&A support pages as well.

As far as using remote start and having the engine shut off, that is normal for US market cars as best I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      As far as using remote start and having the engine shut off, that is normal for US market cars as best I know.
      I'm in the US, and ours has never operated that way. So either we're extremely lucky, or there's a difference starting at some point (our's is very late 2019 model), or older software (ours is the most current).

Volvo's remote start is on a timer.

Instead of dragging the handle to the left on the "Remote Start" line and pressing the Start Button, just tap the line itself. You will then see a screen with a duration slider adjustable from 1 to 15 minutes.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      Volvo's remote start is on a timer.

Instead of dragging the handle to the left on the "Remote Start" line and pressing the Start Button, just tap the line itself. You will then see a screen with a duration slider adjustable from 1 to 15 minutes.
      Yes, but I don't think that has anything to do with the OP's question.

order does have something to do with it.
      I made a conscious move to buckle before attempting to "start" the car, with brake stepped. That worked. The car did not shut down.
      But the screen before didn't indicate climate settings. Or I missed it. Once "started" the climate setting were as I left them.
      I'll look again in a while. I married my profile to the sport key.

The above is interesting.

I read this on the MY18 V90 FAQ page which explains that remote start uses the factory settings: "Note: Your vehicle climate will automatically set to 72 degrees and will not resume the temperature and fan functions from the last time you have driven your Volvo." See https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answe...2018/model/V90.

I found this on MY16 XC90 T8 FAQ page: "Climate Settings (for the driver side; if the temperatures are synched, the passenger setting will also be stored. Note: If using remote start, the setting will default to the factory settings until the car is started with the key in the car.)"
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I went ahead and did a quick demonstration video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m70m...ature=youtu.be
      Last edited by nbvolks; 11-24-2019 at 04:24 PM.

The current-generation SPA models do not shut off when you open the door like the last-gen P3 models did.

If it's shutting off, it's most likely because of the timer. You can extend the timer as I mentioned above.

It doesn't matter if you have seat belt fastened or the door closed. I often just reach my arm in, push down on the brake, then turn the knob - I don't even get in the car if I have stuff to throw in the back seat or wherever.

If it doesn't detect the key, it just says that the key was not found. It doesn't shut off the engine.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

@nbvolks - very Scorsese ...
      I figured out the the display says turn the knob, but nothing about the brake pedal (yes I was too lazy to read the manual, sue me!). So I was doing it wrong.
      Still, a bit disappointing as it doesn't turn on the previous settings (so it seems) until after you start in the car.
      Wish it was already hot (or cold) after a 6 minute walk in 0º. Or at least seat heat. Maybe it takes longer to heat the seat.

@nbvolks - very Scorsese ...
      I figured out the the display says turn the knob, but nothing about the brake pedal (yes I was too lazy to read the manual, sue me!). So I was doing it wrong.
      Still, a bit disappointing as it doesn't turn on the previous settings (so it seems) until after you start in the car.
      Wish it was already hot (or cold) after a 6 minute walk in 0º. Or at least seat heat. Maybe it takes longer to heat the seat.
      Hahaha...thanks!

Yeah, it doesn't save the climate control settings, but it is running the climate control to 72 degrees. So, whether it's 0 degrees outside, and it's heating the interior, or it's 100 degrees and it's cooling the interior, the end goal is still to make the interior more comfortable. And then you get in and start the car and it reverts to your settings.

It is also heating the seats and steering wheel (if equipped) based on the settings you have saved, so those should be warmed up as soon as you get in. They are on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      It is also heating the seats and steering wheel (if equipped) based on the settings you have saved, so those should be warmed up as soon as you get in. They are on mine.
      yea, I guess they are I felt them today, it was warmer. Guess I need to make my ass a little hotter in the colder weather.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements