Vintage VDO Mechanical Boost Gauge Installed
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vintage VDO Mechanical Boost Gauge Installed

Hello folks! Got a vintage VDO mechanical gauge the other day and wanted to share my install and some photos. I used a junkyard pre 04 in dash cupholder, cut out the innards and created a flat surface out of front using JB weld plastic putty. I’m loving how it turned out!

Connected to manifold vacuum line with a simple tee similar to shown in IPD installation videos for their gauge install. Cost breakdown:

VDO gauge from ebay - $30
      Vacuum hose and fuse splitter - $12
      Vacuum line tee - $3
      Cupholder - Been sitting in my garage so long I don't remember how much I paid for it from the junkyard
      Last edited by KeepingIPDinBiz; 11-21-2019 at 01:13 PM.
      04 V70 2.5t Mistral Green
      06 Honda S2000 Laguna Blue

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks nice. Where did you connect the power for the light? Mine fried the bulb within a week, and so I tried to go LED, but there have been problems in that arena too, so I've been living with it being dark, and just got used to not observing it at night.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon in progress...
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Looks good

Ooh I certainly hope mine doesnt blow out! Is that a concern? Were the older cars a lower voltage than modern cars? I connected it to fuse 14 I think, similar to what IPD showed in their videos. Unfortunately when/if the light blows on this one, it will be impossible to open it up to change the bulb out or convert it. Given the gauge is original to a 70's VW or whatever it was that might happen sooner rather than later...

Quote Originally Posted by KeepingIPDinBiz View Post
      Hello folks! Got a vintage VDO mechanical gauge the other day...
      Nice work. Good to know a vintage VDO 52mm gauge will fit; I have a "VOLVO" (VDO) analogue clock out of my old 244GLE, and I'll now make the effort to install it next Spring when it warms up here.

My vintage VDO turbo gauge install:

IMG_20190901_121324.jpg
      2001 V70 T5M
      2010 XC70 T6

Dude that looks sick! I was looking at those vintage Volvo gauges as well before I got mine. Looking sharp! R wheel looks awesome as well

Quote Originally Posted by KeepingIPDinBiz View Post
      Ooh I certainly hope mine doesnt blow out! Is that a concern? Were the older cars a lower voltage than modern cars? I connected it to fuse 14 I think, similar to what IPD showed in their videos. Unfortunately when/if the light blows on this one, it will be impossible to open it up to change the bulb out or convert it. Given the gauge is original to a 70's VW or whatever it was that might happen sooner rather than later...
      I haven't had my center stack open in years. I'll get to digging in sometime after I get this cooling system/motor mount problem solved, and after the home improvement cascade stops...if that ever happens. IIRC, I tapped the 12V cig lighter. Since I went LED, when I open it, I'm going to splice off the LED for the '05+ cup holder from my new console. I can't imagine that whether in series or parallel, there should be a power issue. Well, unless someone reading alerts me, that is. I am very much not an EE or electrician.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon in progress...
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements