2019 XC90 - new transmission???
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2019 XC90 - new transmission???

Hoping to tap into the collective experience available through this forum ... owner of a 2019 XC90 T6 RDesign w/polestar. Almost 4 months old, with 4,000 mi.
      On November 7th, the turtle icon appeared & received a car status message “transmission error - acceleration performance reduced”. Shifts were sudden and inconsistent... drove home gingerly and got vehicle to service the following morning.

It’s been with my dealer’s service team since November 8 and no sign of resolution.
      Fix attempt 1 was a module related to communicating with the transmission.
      Fix attempt 2 was a transmission valve solenoid, but since the part was not readily available the entire valve assembly was replaced.
      Fix attempt 3 is an entire new transmission... which is not available until first week of January.

Aside from the ever increasing frustration of my new vehicle being in the shop for potentially 2+ months, the thought of a new transmission not being a guaranteed resolution is making my brain explode.

I just called Volvo customer care to explain the situation, and express my concern as a first time Volvo owner who selected their prestige brand as an acknowledgement of quality, service, and dependability ... the immediate response I got back was not in the least bit comforting or understanding ... in fact, it was quite apathetic.

Has anyone been through something similar? If so, has Volvo stepped up to offer complimentary maintenance plans, or some other token?
      Thinking I am between a rock and a hard place ... with a lot of concerns as to what the future may bring with this vehicle.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PML View Post
      first time Volvo owner who selected their prestige brand as an acknowledgement of quality, service, and dependability ... the immediate response I got back was not in the least bit comforting or understanding ... in fact, it was quite apathetic.
      These were your first three mistakes. Any recent quick google search would have warned you about quality issues. When the XC90 SPA platform was introduced, Volvo was bending over backwards fixing these cars and doing right for the customer. I saw people handed $500 Visa Gift cards and multiple payments made on their vehicles. Gift baskets, fruit and candy among other items when issues came up. Most of that has been sorted out now and its pretty rare for a transmission to go out but it does happen. Since they are attempting to fix it and have not delivered it to you not fixed, you are at their mercy and since the transmission is not available for a month, you are going to have to wait. Most dealers have loaner cars so I would ask for one and look at it like this, you are putting miles on a car you don't own and keeping miles off yours. Lemon laws can apply depending on your State but usually only apply if they cannot or will not fix it but they are in fact attempting to fix it and have not delivered t to you not fixed. So you will likely have to wait for the transmission. Volvo's are known for being Safe cars. If you want quality, service, and dependability, go Japanese or Korean. But then you'll be like all the other boring cars. And buy an extended warranty, these cars will murder your wallet once out of warranty. You've been warned.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

The transmission in the XC60 and XC90 is a Japenese transmission that is built by Asin Warner. The same manufacturer of transmissions in Toyotas and Lexus.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I had an experience with the VCNA in 2008 with my 2008 XC90 which I ordered overseas and was delivered here in NE Florida. The car started losing oil at ~500 miles. Turned it in to the local dealer who "fixed" it. But 200 miles later, it started showing "Low Oil Level" message again. Was told the engine is bad and had to be replaced. Read you state's Lemon Law and know your rights. Go for a total replacement of your car and insist on it. They replaced mine after 5 months. Keep calling them and let them know that you want a new one or your money back. Good luck.
      2008 XC-90 3.2L FWD

Appreciate the info on previous experience w/VCNA.
      Almost all the boxes are being checked for my state’s lemon laws... currently using the dealer’s loaner(and will be until this mayhem is resolved) while weighing out all my options.

A real feel good moment during last week’s call with customer care was hearing “what do you want Volvo to do about it?” ... realize it was (hopefully just) poor word choice, but at this time was hoping to get even a tiny bit of fake compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by PML View Post
      Appreciate the info on previous experience w/VCNA.
      Almost all the boxes are being checked for my state’s lemon laws... currently using the dealer’s loaner(and will be until this mayhem is resolved) while weighing out all my options.

A real feel good moment during last week’s call with customer care was hearing “what do you want Volvo to do about it?” ... realize it was (hopefully just) poor word choice, but at this time was hoping to get even a tiny bit of fake compassion.
      Or maybe they were actually asking you what you want Volvo to do to sort out this issue? If you want a new car - tell them that
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements