Inline ATF thermostat
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Inline ATF thermostat

Just wondering out loud if anyone’s fitted an ATF thermostat on their ATF radiator? I would like to keep it cool and avoid the radiator altogether but figure it can get too cold in cooler places so I think an in-line atf thermostat might be the ideal solution? What are your thoughts!
      2011 XC90 B8444S R-Design 614 120k km RHD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      There's a P2 XC70 post out there and one done on a S60R where they did exactly this... They showed some results too.
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 140k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 25k km
      2003 Acura TL Type S A-Spec (2007 Accord V6 transmission swap, Tein SS, all available engine bolt ons, exhaust, Apexi AFC, etc.) 108k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...tat/4e0121113/

wondering if the flow rate is enough, but was thinking of something like these but probably in bigger size

alternatively these looks very nice...

https://derale.com/product-footer/fl...unt-kit-detail

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The second one would work fine. The first one must be part of a larger system as there is no provision to shunt the fluid around the cooler.
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 171,000 miles and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      The second one would work fine. The first one must be part of a larger system as there is no provision to shunt the fluid around the cooler.
      I thought the first one always let stuff through to retain pressure it just opens up as temperature rises. Quite an old part from vw group but not sure the max flow rate and temp etc...

if it's blocking flow enough to affect cooling then it's blocking enough to affect operation. The VW probably has an internal bypass passage.
      John C
      ---------------------

Here you go. I used the Derale, east to mount with 1/4-20 bolts.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...69#post3884569

There are also bar and plate style heaters with low pressure bypass designed into them. I think B&M has a few, so no need for a thermostat. Also, you can't over cool transmission fluid, but with thermostat the transmission will reach operating faster than without one.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

Dont understand why you need this? Atf TCM transmission Control Module software register all data and temp. as well if is too low or too high.
      For this reason when you change atf fluid need reset counter of km made with this old fluid that data can show proper register if need...

Transmission need proper temperature where fluid rise and expand when heat is high...as Vida say 80 C at least...if oil is cooled too much will this affect transmission to work properly if is not reach working temperature? I think so or?
      Anyway enjoy in work.
      Waiting photos. I change regulary atf and no problems 318.500 km every km i made. What is the proper temperature working of Atf fluid Mobil 3309 in Aisin ttansmissions? 80 C ? or higher?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 2006 318.600 km
      Proudly GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS and VOR XC90 2.5t Nr. 615 from 1574 Volvo's 31.03.2019 UK
      + 5704 km longest distance traveled to #Volvo600 UK meeting.

I tow and haul quite often, so it's required. Some XC90s come equipped from the factory with a transmission cooler that's straight plumbed, fluid is always running through no matter the season. There's also an option for V/XC70s that's similar in design where fluid is always being ran through the cooler, post radiator. There is no issues with over cooling fluid. At most, you sacrifice a little fuel economy as it takes longer for the fluid to warm up, and potentially if you have a lot of short trips the fluid never gets hot enough to drive off moisture, but should not be of a concern.

if it's blocking flow enough to affect cooling then it's blocking enough to affect operation. The VW probably has an internal bypass passage.
      it should be affecting cooling so it reaches operating temperature quicker

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Here you go. I used the Derale, east to mount with 1/4-20 bolts....
      very clean looking, I do like the quality of the block...

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong View Post
      Dont understand why you need this? Atf TCM transmission Control Module software register all data and temp. as well if is too low or too high.
      For this reason when you change atf fluid need reset counter of km made with this old fluid that data can show proper register if need...
      That's another thing I'm wondering too, if the TCM will affect the fluid pump speed according to temp..but then when I exchange fluid it's always cold and it pumps quick already so I doubt it!
      You're right about the operating temperature; there is a range and it's pretty warm. I wonder too if your xc90 came with an ATF cooler?! Mine didnt! And since I live in hilly area I've seen my ATF temp got up to 100 degrees C (200+ F?) from just driving around at suburban low speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      I tow and haul quite often, so it's required. Some XC90s come equipped from the factory with a transmission cooler that's straight plumbed, fluid is always running through no matter the season. There's also an option for V/XC70s that's similar in design where fluid is always being ran through the cooler, post radiator. There is no issues with over cooling fluid. At most, you sacrifice a little fuel economy as it takes longer for the fluid to warm up, and potentially if you have a lot of short trips the fluid never gets hot enough to drive off moisture, but should not be of a concern.
      Is there a pressure outlet for ATF? Presumably for when moisture got boiled and need somewhere to escape? I've not looked but sounds like it may exist....

Any 'sealed' unit requires a vent.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiV8 View Post
      it should be affecting cooling so it reaches operating temperature quicker
      Maybe we're not understanding each other. You cannot block the flow of fluid to the cooler, even partially, without providing a bypass so the fluid can return to the transmission, without affecting operation of the transmission. The Derale valve provides such a bypass; the VW valve does not.

I also have to agree with Hong Kong; unless you're doing some heavy duty towing, it really sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me.
      John C
      ---------------------

I see what you mean, the transmission is expecting fluid to flow back for it to function.
      Well, I'm actually just trying to avoid coolant leaking into transmission.. because how do you detect that?
      But if you bypass the radiator portion, then it won't get up to temperature quick enough, hence this thread...

Do whatever makes you sleep better at night. You won't affect the operation of the transmission by bypassing the factory heat exchanger, but if your daily use has a lot of short trips you may want to consider leaving it in. The torque converter will put the fluid through enough work to get it up to temp eventually.

IMO, heat is a killer. Anything you can do to keep temps down to 80C is beneficial to extending fluid properties throughout it's service life.

John C
      ---------------------

Coolant interaction helps get the transmission up to temp and stay at temp.

This is why most factory solutions for heaver use dump excess heat via an additional heat exchanger plumbed in before the the radiator.

-Ryan
      Too many cars...
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1991 Volvo 745 Dog Waggin' 2.0
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD
      2016 Fiat 500X (Wife-mobile)

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements