Anyone tried dropping the prop shaft? Haldex pump change
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Anyone tried dropping the prop shaft? Haldex pump change

My haldex gen III pump seems to be on the way out. I got these two codes earlier this year. The first one cleared and returned once or twice but the second one is more persistent in returning.

DEM-P093827 - (my translation now) Temperature circuit outside threshold, general signal failure, signal change pace above threshold

DEM-P188914 - Oil pressure pump performance. General electric fault. Short circuit to ground or open circuit.

First one seems like internal failure when I google but the car feels fine to me. I told both codes to a tech who said the pump most likely was the culprit but that there was no rush to swap it until it actually fails.

Volvo wants a hefty $715 USD for parts and labour. The pump itself is "only" between 270-350 USD so I'm debating doing the job myself but I'm not sure. I think the exhaust needs to come off or be slacked and the part I'm perhaps most worried about is undoing the prop shaft. What kind of tool do I need and is this a typically tricky job? I think the prop shaft "flange" on the haldex also needs to be undone and I don't have any pneumatic or power tools for that task. Hand power has gotten me through all other car jobs I've undertaken so far though, lol.
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No one who ever tried removing the prop shaft?
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      No one who ever tried removing the prop shaft?
      This is the video I was planning on going by when I finally get around to the filter change and pump replacement on mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZNC06Z7imQ
      2002 V70 2.4 N/A. 261k miles. Totaled for the second time November 16, 2016, RIP. - "Elin"
      2004 S60 2.5T AWD (crossword hints for the bold) - "Håkan"

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I took mine half out twice, disconnected it at the rear end, I think I used standard tools, had to drop the exhaust pipe center section off and a small cross member.
      2001 V70 - 2000 miles from the nearest dealer and 3000 miles from home, used as my DD for work and storage when I go home for a couple of weeks.
      2009 XC70 D5 - bought because it was ridiculously cheap, cheapest on the planet, after the first drive the wife claimed it before we got home.

Quote Originally Posted by metalbender View Post
      This is the video I was planning on going by when I finally get around to the filter change and pump replacement on mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZNC06Z7imQ
      No bueno on a gen III from what I've heard, guy in the video has gen IV.

Quote Originally Posted by Outback V70 View Post
      I took mine half out twice, disconnected it at the rear end, I think I used standard tools, had to drop the exhaust pipe center section off and a small cross member.
      "Standard" tools by whose standards? I have regular stuff like a breaker bar but no e.g impact wrench and no special tools to counter hold the prop shaft, if that's necessary?

How is the center section exhaust held in place? And overall how involved is this job? Doable on jack stands and ramps or is a lift a necessity?
      - CrossingCountries

I took the prop shaft off my 2008 so I could lower the tank for a fuel pump replacement. I left it connected at the front/engine end because that joint is damn hard to get to.

I didn't find there was anything all that crazy about it - I'm pretty sure I just used regular 1/2" ratchets for most of the work. No hold tools or impact wrenches required.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements