Protective film for rear bumper near the cargo opening
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Protective film for rear bumper near the cargo opening

Does anyone sell protective film for the little bit of painted bumper near the cargo opening?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The window tinting company that did my windows like has a film for the area you want to cover. They had a clear film for the door edges to protect from damage when opening doors so wouldn't be surprised if your neighborhood firms can do the same. If you're a DYI'r you might try helicopter tape from Amazon. This tapes are very versatile for all kinds of things.

Try searching for something like "XPEL Bumper" on Amazon like I did just now... XPEL and 3M are some of the bigger names, and there are others. You can get long strips of various widths and cut it off to the length you need.

I applied XPEL to a former rear Lexus bumper for I suspect your same intent, as well as to my former Tesla door sills the day I brought it home, to protect its aluminum model plates that were otherwise so easily scratched. In both cases, the areas remained perfect for years until I sold the cars. XPEL is the same paint protection film many pros apply to larger panels, bumpers, mirrors, etc. If you're just a bit handy, I found application was easy and didn't take long with DIY videos attached to many of those listings, or on the mfgr site itself. Just be sure before you purchase and the begin installation, to measure and think through where you want the edges of the film so you have the right width to begin with, and you squeegee all the bubbles out -- once it dries in place, it's on; You can remove XPEL pretty easily if you need to some day**, but you must throw it away and start over with new film again.

** CAVEAT: Removal is easy with a hair dryer and a little patience (see the mfgr site) assuming you have an original factory or truly baked-on professional paint job done at a body shop, not one of those quick and cheap spray-on patch jobs where the fix is blended into a smaller area. It may look fine to your eye, but the painted patch can come up with the paint protection film if you ever need to remove it one day.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Thanks @BertL, @808dakine.

Was hoping for a precut option. But looks like going with the DIY route is the only option at the moment. Thanks anyway!

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements