I've got some problems, and could use some help.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I've got some problems, and could use some help.

Had the car up changing over from summers to winters last weekend and had a look around underneath while I was there. Few concerning things I'm hoping someone may be able to provide some guidance or confirmation on:

Problem 1:
      I've got oil leaking down the front of the oil pan, and getting blown along the underside while driving. I have to top up oil once - maybe twice - between changes presently. I'm already lining up do a PCV service in the coming weeks, can anyone confirm that a clogged PCV system would account for this? Or should I be looking at something else?

Problem 2:
      Replaced my front axle seals back in June, but it looks like I may not have seated the passenger side down far enough. When rotating the front right wheel, can see the seal rotating as well as the axle. Comparing with photos of the original seal, it looks raised out of its pocket. I'll be replacing this seal again and getting it properly seated - I don't know how worn the outer diameter is at this point and don't want to rely on it. I expect this is transmission fluid leaking out slowly. I've checked fluid levels of both the transmission and the angle gear, both look pretty topped up.

Original Seal:

Problem 3:
      Joint in between the angle gear and the driveshaft appears to have been leaking for some time. Is this sort of leakage normal, or should it be dry?

I've been getting an audible noise in the cabin which is approximately from the area of this coupling though it's hard to be exactly certain. I've been suspecting either this joint or the angle gear, and well, here we are. I was only just able to catch audio of it in the cabin this week, any other time I've tried it's washed out in road noise. Have a listen, it's sort of a whirring noise that can be heard when the drivetrain is loaded, either accelerating or decelerating. The noise goes away when just going on or off the gas as backlash is taken up in the system changing the load direction. Also goes away when the clutch is in or coasting in neutral, so it's something in the drivetrain, not a wheel bearing or anything like that.

Anyone agree or disagree to this being the cause? Tips on replacement for this joint?

Problem 4:
      There's oil on the lower segment of my turbo, would this be caused by a clogged PCV as well, or some other factor? Ideas?

Problem 5:
      Not all of my wheels are spinning freely equally. Might be a brake dragging, I've suspected for a while, but maybe something else? I've got fluids to change on the AOC and differential, but I don't really expect those will improve this. Anyone have a link to caliper rebuild kits for our bremo's?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Problem 1: Might not be clogged PCV, might just be a cracked or disconnected hose, which has happened to me. The PCV box condenses oil out of the crankcase vapor and drains it back in to the engine, so a loose hose will cause a major leak even if the PCV is healthy. Either way, changing it will probably fix this, once you get the radiator fan out and can see the engine you should see where it's coming from.

Problem 2: Your diagnosis is 100% correct, I've had some cars and seals where the seals are kind of undersize to begin with and never really stick in the bore. When you replace it you can put some loctite or other adhesive on the OD in case the bore is slightly oversize. And make sure you get the best quality seal, which should have good tolerance control.

Problem 3: Looks like a minor leak but I don't know if I'd ignore it either. See what others say.

Problem 4: I'd fix the PCV and power wash this from under here and see if it fixed it. If not you might just need to re-seal the cold side of the turbo. If your oil consumption is high, you might need a full turbo rebuild.

Problem 5: Easy test, try carefully prying the brake pads away from the rotor one at a time and see if it's either of the pads, or the parking brake binding which is far more common. And the speed difference is the passenger wheel being overdriven by the differential due to the driver's back wheel being stalled. Once the slow wheel is fixed they'll all be running the same speed. On the flip side, the dragging doesn't look that bad, if the car doesn't pull and the rotor isn't excessively hot after driving, it's not a serious problem.

Good luck man!
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 11-23-2019 at 09:04 AM.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, Bone stock daily driver. Thread coming soon.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      Problem 1: Might not be clogged PCV, might just be a cracked or disconnected hose, which has happened to me. The PCV box condenses oil out of the crankcase vapor and drains it back in to the engine, so a loose hose will cause a major leak even if the PCV is healthy. Either way, changing it will probably fix this, once you get the radiator fan out and can see the engine you should see where it's coming from.
      I'll have a good look around when I do the PCV service.

Problem 2: Your diagnosis is 100% correct, I've had some cars and seals where the seals are kind of undersize to begin with and never really stick in the bore. When you replace it you can put some loctite or other adhesive on the OD in case the bore is slightly oversize. And make sure you get the best quality seal, which should have good tolerance control.
      Thanks for the tip! I'll see about some loctite on the bore when I replace the seal. Has anyone else used this method?

Problem 3: Looks like a minor leak but I don't know if I'd ignore it either. See what others say.
      Yeah, wondering what others have to say on this too. I think it's been developing for some months, maybe 6+. I don't expect there's a whole lot of grease in that space, so once a bit leaves...
      Anyone service this joint before? Tips? The VIDA instructions don't look particularly fun, but doable. I'd likely need parts 10 through 13 from the below diagram.

Problem 5: Easy test, try carefully prying the brake pads away from the rotor one at a time and see if it's either of the pads, or the parking brake binding which is far more common. And the speed difference is the passenger wheel being overdriven by the differential due to the driver's back wheel being stalled. Once the slow wheel is fixed they'll all be running the same speed. On the flip side, the dragging doesn't look that bad, if the car doesn't pull and the rotor isn't excessively hot after driving, it's not a serious problem.
      I'll try pushing the pads apart and see how it responds. If that doesn't help, I'll take a look at my parking brake to see if it's dragging. I get the differential difference as to why the rear right is spinning so fast. It's not a major problem, just bothers me. That said, does anyone know of a seal kit part number for rebuilding the brake calipers - front and rear?

Thanks for help so far!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements