Powerflush an XC90 Transmission
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Powerflush an XC90 Transmission

I have a 2017 XC90 with just under 30K. I plan on keeping the car and want to do a trans service (and I know that the trans fluid is suppose to be "for life"). I have seen people do drain and fills on high milage cars but with a lower milage car I am thinking that the flush would be the way to go (and yes I will use the correct Volvo fluid as a replacement).

Anyone have a flush done on their XC90? Anyone suggest not doing a flush? If so, why?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There was a thread on this this week below
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Brown Leather, Advanced Package, Charcoal Headliner, 20" OEM Wheels, Wife's ride
      Jeep WK2 owner x 3 (2011, 2014, 2016) Great vehicles, underrated IMO
      Dodge Durango 2016 Family hauler
      First car 1987 Volvo 740 GLE 5 spd RWD, acquired at 130K

2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Brown Leather, Advanced Package, Charcoal Headliner, 20" OEM Wheels, Wife's ride
      Jeep WK2 owner x 3 (2011, 2014, 2016) Great vehicles, underrated IMO
      Dodge Durango 2016 Family hauler
      First car 1987 Volvo 740 GLE 5 spd RWD, acquired at 130K

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ibisboy1 View Post
      I have a 2017 XC90 with just under 30K. I plan on keeping the car and want to do a trans service (and I know that the trans fluid is suppose to be "for life"). I have seen people do drain and fills on high milage cars but with a lower milage car I am thinking that the flush would be the way to go (and yes I will use the correct Volvo fluid as a replacement).

Anyone have a flush done on their XC90? Anyone suggest not doing a flush? If so, why?

Thanks
      What do the owners manual and maintenance manual tell you?
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      What do the owners manual and maintenance manual tell you?
      I know that Volvo says it is a lifetime fluid but I don't buy that any fluid is truly lifetime. I figure some sort of fluid swap at reasonable intervals makes sense. I generally go with 30/40K on a trans service. However, this is my first time dealing with a Volvo. My thought is that the best approach would be to swap out all of the fluid with a flush given that the car is still fairly new, but, curious what others are doing. Drain and fill is fine as well, but, I think the may be an overly cautious approach with a car that is just a few years old.

I do see the other thread as well and it is similar but not really the same exact question - didn't want to hijack that thread.

Thanks

I bought a 100K miles VIP warranty and I'm getting rid of this car after 100K, that's my take. Not going to waste one more penny other than what's indicated in owner's manual.

OP, I don't have any specific knowledge that I can share, except to say that I too do not believe in any life-time tranny fluids and so I exchange the fluid on all my cars periodically. In all cases, it results in the tranny shifting better and the fluid usually comes out pretty nasty looking. I agree it is a worthwhile if you keep your cars for a long time. I have not done the XC90 yet. Next time I am buy a Vida 3 day subscription, I plan on looking up the procedure.

Hello, just saw this this thread albeit my car is a V90 Cross Country. I was going for my 30K service interval and was curious about flushing the transmission fluid at Volvo dealer. The service advisor said that since Volvo doesn't recommend flushing the transmission since it suppose to be lifetime that particular dealer wouldn't do it unless there is something wrong with the car's transmission. With that said, for a first time trying the service at the dealer in New Jersey, the service was fantastic, quick and efficient. I would love to power flush the transmission though since it's hovering at 30K miles. Time to clean out all the fluids. Its for peace of mine.
      |2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country| - Crystal White/Blond Interior - Luxury Package - Convenience Package - HUD - B&O - Premium Air Suspension - Polestar Optimised

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements